Buffalo Bills to fans on game day: Behave or be gone

HOUSE

3 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

Why don't you people use solo cups?

I was at a concert last year, I think it was in New Hampshire, and the cops patrolling the parking lots were stopping at every vehicle/tailgate party reminding people about the open container law, and to use cups instead of drinking out of cans/bottles. First time in years of going to concerts I've ever seen that. 

the biggest security enforcement of my season ticket years was a useless Saturday night game in December versus the Broncos and they were patting people down and confiscating paper bags that fans were going to wear on their heads

fortunately lots were snuck in and ESPN was able to capture a section with a lot of bag-wearing fans for a shot

10 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I was at a concert last year, I think it was in New Hampshire, and the cops patrolling the parking lots were stopping at every vehicle/tailgate party reminding people about the open container law, and to use cups instead of drinking out of cans/bottles. First time in years of going to concerts I've ever seen that. 

oh yea ive been seeing that at different venues for years now. Usually to prevent the use (and breaking/smashing) of glass bottles. It's really quite simple to pour into a solo cup. I do this anyway because I drink a lot of homebrew and craft beers.

4 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

That’s kinda BS. I get it if someone looks underage, but come on...

You realize It’s against the law right?

“Open Container Law and Penalties

In New York State, it is against the law to drink from or have an open container of alcohol in a public place. This law does not apply to residences or business establishments with liquor licenses, but it does prohibit drivers and passengers from possessing or consuming an open container of alcohol in the car. The law applies even when the car is not being driven, meaning being inside a parked vehicle does not allow you to have a drink. The only way to be sure that you will not get in trouble with the law for having an open bottle of alcohol in your car is if it is in the trunk.”

https://www.lipsitzgreen.com/dwi/2017/03/01/what-is-new-yorks-open-container-law/

16 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

That's how it started in my area going back quite a few years -  cops telling us if we have cups we're OK.

It's been part of every pre-game and  pre-concert routine every since: Who's bringing the cups?

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Buffalo Bills officials continue to tinker with policy to curb the raucous behavior of fans on game day that last year resulted in 55 game-related arrests by Orchard Park police outside the stadium.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/17/buffalo-bills-to-fans-on-game-day-behave-or-be-gone/

No surprise.  For all of the talk about the “Bills Mafia,” the organization has been ashamed and embarrassed to be associated with some of the behavior in the viral videos around the internet.  They’ve been taking incremental steps to curb behavior and some speculate the ultimate goal is to build a stadium downtown to eliminate tailgating all together!

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The behavior before and at games is a small fraction of what it was 10 years ago.  

Agreed.  I remember back in the day, there were drinking games played in the parking lot where people openly pounded beers.

There also was a number of multi-person beer funnels set up where any stranger could walk up and funnel beer with their Bills Mafia brethren!  Now if an officer sees the funnel he takes it or breaks up a game of flipcup 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

From what I’ve seen, OP cops are all over this but Troopers & ECo Sheriff didn’t seem to care.

Could be different this year though.

You could probably find a couple adults that would pay you for that. Hey, when opportunity knocks...

The sheriffs warned us that there was an undercover in the lot ahead. Told us to chug it or hide it better. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The past couple games I went to, I have found stadium security agents to be a little “over the top” in responding to fairly minor transgressions.  I think they need to lighten up a little, and focus on the bigger problems.

This ^ I go to games with family, and just chill with a few beers. Most people aren’t there to cause trouble. I don’t ever want to get to the point where tailgating is completely outlawed, and that possibility doesn’t seem too far fetched. I’m always in favor of outlawing stupidity, but sometimes it gets to the point where fun becomes outlawed. 

4 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

22-year old me wants to punch 42-year old me for saying this, but: I’m ok with it. 22-year old me also didn’t have a smartphone or the need to make viral videos. 

If there was smart phones 20 years ago you would have.  They really should be called idiot phones.

I'm ashamed of a lot of the things I did at the Ralph during my season ticket twenties.  You'll grow out of it too, but feel free to get a jump on things if you'd prefer not to have the memory of drunkenly harassing an opposing fan wearing the jersey of a player who had died and having an older lady look at you in horror and shame in her eyes and tell you to have some class.

A lot of these dummies who are getting hammered, starting crap with opposing fans and jumping through tables will grow up eventually.  They will look back at how stupid they acted.  Now the younger crowd coming up will see enforcement, as they should.   Maybe this era of ridiculous behavior will have peaked.  Sounds like maybe it already has.

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The sheriffs warned us that there was an undercover in the lot ahead. Told us to chug it or hide it better. 

Yeah, we were crossing Abbot and  Sheriffs were on traffic. 20-something kid was sipping from a can and had the rest of the tattered twelver cradled in his arm like a football. He sheepishly tried to lower the can and tuck the pack further away and the Sheriff was like “hey don’t worry about , just cross.” 

It’s definitely an OP cash maker, the town passed the open container enforcement law, not the county. As usual it’s about the sweet sweet cash under the guise of “safety”.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

That's not fair! How I am supposed to get through the week without my friends from throughout the country sending me videos of idiots jumping on folding tables and lighting themselves on fire!

You must persevere, no matter the obstacles.  Be strong.

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

No surprise.  For all of the talk about the “Bills Mafia,” the organization has been ashamed and embarrassed to be associated with some of the behavior in the viral videos around the internet.  They’ve been taking incremental steps to curb behavior and some speculate the ultimate goal is to build a stadium downtown to eliminate tailgating all together!

Agreed.  I remember back in the day, there were drinking games played in the parking lot where people openly pounded beers.

There also was a number of multi-person beer funnels set up where any stranger could walk up and funnel beer with their Bills Mafia brethren!  Now if an officer sees the funnel he takes it or breaks up a game of flipcup 

really have no clue where to start with this

#1)Organization is so ashamed they #billsmafia on their official twitter?

2) You think drinking games no longer occur? Damn, i am 57 and love nothing beetr than kicking my nephews and their friends butt in beer pong all morning! I aint quite as good at fliptop, but i participate !!!

3) Ni funnels at Hammers, but plenty in every other private lot

Edited by plenzmd1

6 hours ago, eball said:

I have no problem with any of this.  Act like grownups.

I like the guy who responded to your post here with a "skeptical" icon.

As if to say "Screw you, I like behaving like a drunken ass at games and I'm not going to change!"

Buffalo.

:lol:

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

really have no clue where to start with this

#1)Organization is so ashamed they #billsmafia on their official twitter?

2) You think drinking games no longer occur? Damn, i am 57 and love nothing beetr than kicking my nephews and their friends butt in beer pong all morning! I aint quite as good at fliptop, but i participate !!!

3) Ni funnels at Hammers, but plenty in every other private lot

They aren’t embarrassed of the Bills Mafia fanbase, but yes they are embarrassed with Deadspin puts out videos of the stupid things the Bills Mafia does, or when Tweets go viral of two Bills fans having intercourse in the parking, or when the fan base travels to Jacksonville and trashes parking lots.  

Meanwhile, NYS law now directs police officers to merely issue tickets for breaking and entering as long as there was no "violence" or carrying a firearm.

I use to run a security detail at another NFL stadium. We are no worse at The Cap than what I saw there, weekly.

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo management has been hellbent on watering down and commercializing the fan experience since the late nineties. I have nothing but contempt for all of it. It's amazing they aren't on better terms with Goodell, because our management has seemed to be in lock-step with that weasel since he rose to power. It becomes more clear to me with every passing year that the NFL's best years are certainly behind it and they're sliding into the backside of their prime. I hope I get to see a Bills SB win before the game gets completely diluted, but it's already pretty easy to admit that it won't mean as much as it would've 20 years ago.

In with the dome, heated seats, personal tablets, valet parking, in stadium restaurants, PSL, $200 tickets, waterslides, ice rinks and basically any other attraction they can offer for people with too much money and too little sense to forget they're at a football game.

This is what happens when stupid drunk people can’t read the writing on the wall, and keep doing stupid drunk people stuff. Now the complaining, howling and nashing of teeth  will commence. The Pegulas really do not mind losing these types of customers, it is in fact good for business, the bad customers will easily be replaced by other customers that don’t need to be drunk to watch a football game.

Go Bills!!!

One should remember too that the NFL has had beer advertising on each and everyone of it's tv broadcasts as well as in stadium advertising forever. Drinking beer and watching football has gone hand in hand since it's inception. I never did go to games to get drunk out of my mind and nowadays prefer to stay home and watch the games on my big screen TV while enjoying some liquid refreshment or going to a friends place to do so. 

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

The behavior before and at games is a small fraction of what it was 10 years ago.  

...harken back to late 70's/early 80's......Fins games were ultimate slugfests....the MMA pre-cursor......took my son the a Fins game circa 1990 and sat in the M&T Bank Club enclosed section (he was 12)....KID WAS SHOCKED.....we were watching chicks beating the snot out of each other right in front of the club window....not to mention the ensuing fights as we filed out....probably MUCH better today (COUGH)....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Cracking down on the drunks before they get inside the stadium is a great idea.

99% of the fans act responsibly. Hopefully that's allowed to continue as it has been in the past. 

Have not seen you posting in the Josh Allen threads. Have you altered your initial views or still pessimistic?

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Have not seen you posting in the Josh Allen threads. Have you altered your initial views or still pessimistic?

Still wait and see but he's been better than expected this year. Hard to be too fired up about any QB who hasn't even play 16 games yet. 

My biggest gripe now is with the play calling. Need to feature Singletary and run the ball a bit more. Cut Zay Jones and give his role to Robert Foster, and let him try to take the top off a defense once or twice a game. 

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Still wait and see but he's been better than expected this year. Hard to be too fired up about any QB who hasn't even play 16 games yet. 

I advocated drafting him, so I'm not really someone who was ever in the skeptical crowd. I do want to see how Allen does, along with the rest of the team, against top level teams like Pats*, Cowboys, etc.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I advocated drafting him, so I'm not really someone who was ever in the skeptical crowd. I do want to see how Allen does, along with the rest of the team, against top level teams like Pats*, Cowboys, etc.

Agreed. 

Hard to jump to meaningful conclusions given we've played what looks like two of the worst five teams in the league. 

The Pats game is the real test and should set the tone for the following month. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

Why don't you people use solo cups?

In every hand of every kid I ever saw from my kids college days was a solo cup. Red or blue, but there was a solo cup. Probably Gatorade or protein shakes. 

• Like (+1) 1