I now understand why the Bills passed on DK Metcalf

HOUSE

49 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

He went in the late part of round 2. We took Ford very early in round 2. We could've easily traded back up for Metcalf if we wanted. 

We didn't want to.

We already have two guys in Foster and Brown with good straighline speed.  

Edited by oldmanfan

Because WR wasn't our top priority in the draft.  It's that simple.  We snagged a couple of capable receivers in the off season, so our FO wants to see what they can do before pursuing one in the draft.  If our current WR corps doesn't pan out this year, then I guarantee that WR will be a top priority next year.

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

This kid seems like has some serious talent so it's surprising he fell so far. 

Any word on why we didn't trade up and grab him? I would have been much happier with our draft had we traded up for Metcalf instead of Singletary/Knox in the 3rd.

Beane was just asked that question in his press conference.  His reply was “because he broke his neck, is a one trick pony, has inconsistent hands and takes off his shirt too much”. At least we know now

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Any word on why we didn't trade up and grab him? I would have been much happier with our draft had we traded up for Metcalf instead of Singletary/Knox in the 3rd.

Easy.  If you study Beane and McD they are most likely going to have trench players rated higher than skill positions with the exception of QB.  To me that's the reason why they took Ford over Metcalf.  They had Ford rated higher.  They probably had Risner than Metcalf too, but had Ford rated higher than Risner.

43 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Beane didn't have a problem trading up plenty of other times in the draft so why couldn't he do it again?

My point is that I would've preferred to trade up for Metcalf instead of taking Singletary and Knox in the third round. 

Everyone else’s point: no one give a **** 

Can we shut this thread down or merge it with the other ones just like it

Edited by NewEra

I was high on him they were not.  Moving on.  Ford was considered a top 30 player by most accounts and obviously theirs.  The Oline was a big area of need all offseason. In terms of importance RT is higher then Wr.  Buffalo landed 2 of their top players in Oliver and Ford. By then they would have to give up alot to move into position for Metcalf.  For all we know he was a fail by the medical staff.  

The  reality is he was not valued by NFL people like he was by fans.  People wanted the BIlls to take him in the first, it seemed like he was expected by fans and media to go in the first.   He actually went at the end of the second.  We will never know if the Bills had any interest but the reality is they may have had a low grade on him and did not value him enough to trade up.  What is in the media leading up to the draft is not all real...there is a lot of good info but not all of it is good.   Lots of discussion on Sirius XM before the draft talked about how his cone drills were awful, he has speed but no quickness.

He went in the late part of round 2. We took Ford very early in round 2. We could've easily traded back up for Metcalf if we wanted. 

They could have. Don’t know how easily, but there would have been cost involved. It probably came down to if they felt the value was there for such a move and where Metcalf was on their board. Beane mentioned they wanted to move up higher than they did for Ford, but the cost was too rich. So it’s always a matter of finding a trade partner, agreeing on compensation and paying a price they are comfortable with. 

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

I love that the same guys who are stoked about signing David Sills as a UDFA also feel completely confident in bashing the #64 overall pick in the draft.

Gonna be a loooot of silly takes in this discussion when we look back a few years from now...

I'm one of the guys.   The Bills gave up $35,000 for Sills and would have needed to use a second on "Mr. Universe."   

If Sills busts, we're out nothing.  If he hits, we've won the lottery.    

If Metcalf busts, we've wasted a valuable draft asset and probably set back Allen a bit (we already have an underperforming 2nd round WR--and we saw how well that helped Allen last year).   If he hits, we've got a big, fast guy who struggles to stay healthy and might get 3-4 targets a game.      

B/c he wasnt graded high enough by the Bills.

28 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Actually, I think a few of us were also pointing out a loosening of grammar standards in recent years...?

Yep. There have been some memorable corruptions of commonly used expressions on this board in the past, and every so often they come up again, like in Coach Tuesday’s post lol... I’m kinda surprised not many seem to have gotten my reference to the “ particle sun” post someone made on the board a bunch of years back. When I saw him reference the “ self of steam” post it made me think of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, stony said:

In terms of upside, I'm more excited about Knox than if they drafted DK.  

No way he will be successful. No production.

(I don’t actually believe this but it’s used against DK constantly. Knox gets a pass though)

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep. There have been some memorable corruptions of commonly used expressions on this board in the past, and every so often they come up again, like in Coach Tuesday’s post lol... I’m kinda surprised not many seem to have gotten my reference to the “ particle sun” post someone made on the board a bunch of years back. When I saw him reference the “ self of steam” post it made me think of it. 

I’ve seen offense of line used quite a bit. Not sure if it was an accident at first then others went with it. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This isnt accurate...Beane literally said when he picked Ford there were big WRs he really liked and it was pretty clear he was alluding to DK.  But he had Ford graded higher and was top guy on his board and went BPA like he said he would according to his board.  DK was gone before the Devin pick.  So we do not know who was higher, Devin or DK...but we do know Devin was the BPA on Beanes board when they drafted him as he also said this in his pressers.

I don't think we know they liked DK. He could have been talking about Metcalf and he could not have been. What we do know, for definite, is the Bills first 5 picks all had some sort of meeting with the team and they did have DK in so reasonable to say there was some interest there. I suspect like the rest of the league they valued him in the latter half of the 2nd and we know they valued Ford in the latter half of the first. 

As for trading up for Metcalf.... personally I just don't think his talent warranted that and that is why they stayed put. 

16 minutes ago, Chemical said:

No way he will be successful. No production.

(I don’t actually believe this but it’s used against DK constantly. Knox gets a pass though)

It was used against DK in the sense of him being a potential 1st rounder. Not him being a 3rd round comp pick. 

People saying that he's not that good is comical. LOL

If we drafted him Bills fans would be ecstatic about the the pick. 

I agree a lot of fans would have been. Speaking personally I'd have remained sceptical. If we had taken him in the 2nd I wouldn't have hated it but I wouldn't have loved it. If we had taken him in the 1st I'd have hated it. He was my "no way" guy at #9.  

7 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

What is wrong with John Brown? The guy is a professional and is a real deep threat. None of this year's wr class would be any better. 

He doesn't have that ripped body so he will never do

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Right on. 

2) Rule #1.........do what it takes to maximize production from the QB position.   Especially for a YOUNG QB.

I like Cody Ford and he will be a swell guard or maybe even RT and Singletary was my favorite RB in a D grade class.........but job #1 of the organization is to prop up a young QB.

Sounds nice to say the running game is a young QB's best friend.........has a very retro, 90's feel to it..........but wasn't that the point of signing 6 OL and 2 RB's in UFA?

Compare what the Rams did for Goff to what the Bills are doing for Allen.   It's sink or swim for JA by comparison.

We can talk all we want about the value of picks..........it felt great to get Ed Oliver because it filled a need with a talented player........ but here's the reality.........McD has made 4 first round selections and 3 have been defenders.

It's not going to change itself.

Until they become more QB-centric then long term success is going to remain out of reach.

I 100% agree with the principle. But I just don't think this was the class to do it and you have to take a longer term view. The 2020 class at this stage (appreciate a year out is a long time) looks to offer them a much better collection of stud receiving options. I don't think the guys were there this year. 

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No it was mostly via draft resources actually.

The Rams signed Woods in UFA........a perfect fit for Goff's intermediate wheelhouse.

They drafted Kupp in the 3rd and Josh Reynolds in the 4th.    I know Bills fans don't know who Josh Reynolds is but he would be no worse than WR2 on the 2019 Bills.

The NFL.com draft profile guy Lance something beginning with Z apparently gave Reynolds as his pro comparison for Sills. Count me as in wait and see mode on that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If Metcalf can play, Seahawk fans will have a lot to look forward to, with Russell Wilson chucking the ball to him and Tyler Lockett.  I'm jealous...

Edited by mannc

Based on where he was drafted (last pick in the 2nd Round and 9th WR off the board), he was definitely being over-hyped in the sports media.

That doesn't mean he was a bad prospect, he sucks or that nobody liked him.  It just means that NFL teams saw him as a Day 2 pick, while the media was anticipating him landing in the early/middle 1st Round.

For Buffalo, it sounds like the WRs (not just Metcalf) just happened to fall in places that didn't work for our draft board.

Our first two picks (Oliver and Ford) were easily the best players available.  Before we picked again, there was a run and a total of six WRs came off the board. 

It's very possible that Beane saw Metcalf as good value where he went, but just wasn't willing to part with more draft capital to make the move.

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I 100% agree with the principle. But I just don't think this was the class to do it and you have to take a longer term view. The 2020 class at this stage (appreciate a year out is a long time) looks to offer them a much better collection of stud receiving options. I don't think the guys were there this year. 

The NFL.com draft profile guy Lance something beginning with Z apparently gave Reynolds as his pro comparison for Sills. Count me as in wait and see mode on that. 

1) Yeah we differ there.    I think the upside of DK was very worth it there.   I know you said you were OK with taking DK early second round if the board fell a certain way.....but you probably have guards and runnin' bax with first round grades.........they are pretty much off-limits for me there.

It's dollars and sense, IMO.   4 year contracts mean you gotta' fill those positions with lesser chips and try to score on the key ones with those picks instead.   If they bust........you get cap room in 4 years when you don't have to pay them..........if they HIT........that's how you get off the porch and run with the big dogs.    I used the Jevon Kearse example with DK.   I had Kearse as the #2 player in the 1999 draft......others thought he was a turd with good measurable.....he fell to #16 to the perennially 8-8 Oiler/Titan franchise and vaulted them into immediate SB contention.   That's a risk worth taking to me.    Building a line like the Cowboys sounds sweet........but how many SB's has that super-invested-OL been to?   Zero.

If you make a habit out of using high picks on MLB's and G/RT's with top 40-50 picks then you better be a helluva difference making coach.    I don't think McD can run with BB on game days.   He needs to beat him instead of joining him with the non-position-specific drafting.

2) My thoughts as well.  Reynolds is a very talented player.   I am not counting on them but I am excited to see Sills and Tyree Jackson "loud skills" during the preseason........I actually go to and sit thru those games so I want to be entertained..........and the past couple decades that has been the most satisfying portion of the schedule.:lol:

3 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Never seen him play but heard on the radio that he always lined up on the left side and ran the same 2 or 3 routes. That spells disaster. 

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Lance Zierlein is one of the very few consistently good evaluators year in and year out, IMO. Thankless job as you well know. And like hitting a baseball, you're awesome if you hit .333 but that also means you are out .667

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think we know they liked DK. He could have been talking about Metcalf and he could not have been. What we do know, for definite, is the Bills first 5 picks all had some sort of meeting with the team and they did have DK in so reasonable to say there was some interest there. I suspect like the rest of the league they valued him in the latter half of the 2nd and we know they valued Ford in the latter half of the first. 

As for trading up for Metcalf.... personally I just don't think his talent warranted that and that is why they stayed put. 

It was used against DK in the sense of him being a potential 1st rounder. Not him being a 3rd round comp pick. 

I think its quite clear they liked DK.  They only brought in two WR's, Harry and DK.  Beane alluded there were WR's "on the board" when they picked Cody that they liked a lot who they believed could really help this football team, and some of the descriptions they mentioned sound like DK too.  Harry was already off the board at that pick too.  One thing we know about Beane, he mostly targets guys they brought in or visited with.  So between his description, who was on the board, and who they brought in I think its pretty likely one of the WR's they liked was DK.  There was also lots of talk leading into the draft the Bills liked DK as well.  

He also said he had end of 2nd round grades on the WRs who were available and was not going to reach as Cody was the overall BPA on Beanes board heading into 2nd round.  So no brainer why they took Cody, he was BPA and a GREAT pick.  

And like I said earlier and you said here too, they just didn't have a high enough grade on him to give up the assets and trade back into the 2nd to get him after taking Cody.  The one thing we know about Devin is that Devin was the overall BPA on Beane's board when we drafted him because he said that in his presser.  However, DK was gone by then, so what we don't know is who they had a higher grade on, DK or Devin.  

But, its one thing to be the BPA on the board, its another to be one worth trading up for.  Cody was a top 15 talent we got a steal on.  Funny, my first mock had us taking Cody Ford at #40 and everyone said I was crazy and would never happen.  To be fair, I never thought it was possible DK would fall to the 2nd round either.  So theres that too, HA.  I knew he could slip, but thought he wouldnt get past the Ravens or the Seahawks last pick in the first.  Seattle got a great value getting him where he did and he's in a great situation with a great coaching staff and QB.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to I now understand why the Bills passed on DK Metcalf

I think DK has a chance to be good and I'm happy for him that he landed where he did. He may in time turn into something special. But even among developmental prospects he really didn't deserve to be the first one off the board - that was Mecole Hardman, a little guy. Hollywood, AJ and Harry were all better picks. I liked Harry but IMO AJ Brown was the guy I would have taken as most versatile and most likely to really lift our whole WR group, but I too was all for O-line since Ford or Risner were there in the second. 

13 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Image result for dk metcalf

Who's to blame for D.K. Metcalf's draft fall? Us and a social media hype machine

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – If we ever need to be reminded that NFL draft slides are rough and this live televised event is real life mixed in with entertainment (sometimes unmercifully), we only need to cue up the Seattle Seahawks’ call after selecting Ole Miss wideout D.K. Metcalf with the last pick in the second round.

The same Metcalf who became the flashiest of advertisements for the NFL’s scouting combine in February, when he ran a scorching 4.33 40-yard dash after smashing the internet with a shirtless weight room photo that probably threatened some marriages. That hype machine loved Metcalf, predicting him as a potential top-10 pick and all but guaranteeing he would be one of the most promoted players leading into this draft.

D.K. Metcalf was a star at the NFL scouting combine in February. That didn't carryover for the rest of the draft process. Seattle did, however, select him as the last pick in the second round on Friday night. (AP)

While social media and 40-yard dash times can create excitement, boring old film of a player’s collegiate production is often what creates a high first-round pick. And that part of the process was hard on Metcalf’s stock. That’s how one of the hottest stars of the combine suffered through a cooler draft reception, leaving him to be the last player in the NFL’s green room selected. That is, if Metcalf was still there when it happened. He wasn’t, choosing to spend Friday’s proceedings at his mother’s house after going unselected in the first round.

We figured that out when the Seahawks posted an emotional call that appeared to leave both Metcalf and Seahawks coach Pete Carroll with some tears flowing.

Metcalf started off sounding composed if not a little angry when he answered his phone. But when general manager John Schneider uttered the only words that mattered – “Hey man, get fired up. We’re gonna make you a Seahawk, OK?” – the emotional levy broke. Before you knew it, Metcalf was sobbing and Schneider was handing the phone off to Carroll. And then Carroll

appeared to choke up, saying “We’ll both cry together then, all right?”

What happened here?

Well, we happened. All of us, really. The media happened. We got amped up on a player again at the combine despite a litany of yellow flags that were clearly sliding him down boards in the ensuing weeks and months. Despite constantly admitting that we overhype some guys, we do it annually because we can’t seem to help ourselves. But we occasionally have help, too. In the form of, say, Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden. Who can forget Gruden’s love letter to Metcalf in February?

https://sports.yahoo.com/whos-to-blame-for-dk-metcalfs-draft-fall-us-and-a-social-media-hype-machine-043500812.html

Were you confused before this article?