I now understand why the Bills passed on DK Metcalf

HOUSE

I think DK is in a great spot. Being drafted a little later will probably put a chip on his shoulder and I hope he plays well for Seattle. Good luck to him. I am still glad we did not draft him in the top ten or the second round. Too much risk. 

• Like (+1) 1

Happy that Bills did not end up taking Metcalf as I began to think he was on their short list with the rumors swirling and DK seemingly fitting the athletic profile of this regime. Watching DK, you can be mesmerized at times by his size and speed but they are often followed by frustrating missed opportunities (drops and failed jump balls). DK may end up being a good fit in Seattle. He will have opportunity and Wilson throws a great deep ball which is what he is best at. Personally, I would have liked the Bills to find their way to AJ Brown but maybe there were some intangibles missing as Brown dropped further than what I would have thought.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I actually didn’t want Metcalf but I really thought they’d get a WR in the 3rd or even in the 2nd. Now that the dust has cleared I’m going to really watching to see how our 2, 3, and 4 picks pan out. This year’s draft grade will hinge on those three guys.

Agree with you completely, this year is definitely different from other years past.

This years draft grade will come down to how the guys we drafted perform. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, section122 said:

DK was already gone.  He went the last pick of the 2nd round.  Maybe the Bills would have taken him in the 3rd too.  RB shouldn't even be in the conversation since he was taken 10 picks later...

Great point. It seems like Beane just stuck to the Bills board and took the mythical “ BPA” that so many on this board are always clamoring for at draft time. Crazy that a 3rd round RB taken by a team with a lot of RBs can generate a gazillion page thread, but it has. 

23 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think DK is in a great spot. Being drafted a little later will probably put a chip on his shoulder and I hope he plays well for Seattle. Good luck to him. I am still glad we did not draft him in the top ten or the second round. Too much risk. 

Ahh.  One of the all time great sports cliches.  Out of curiousity,  how many athletes with these chips on their shoulder actually go on to shine ?   Is it a high percentage?

Just now, prissythecat said:

Ahh.  One of the all time great sports cliches.  Out of curiousity,  how many athletes with these chips on their shoulder actually go on to shine ?   Is it a high percentage?

Nope probably not. Most of them waste their money and we forget all about them, but this a boom or bust guy. He has a little more motivation to prove himself now. Will it happen? Who knows? 

40 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Hyped or not, sounds like this guy doesn't even get a chance to prove himself to this board.  Just because he is not a Bill I am guessing. 

This is exactly how Josh Allen was treated last year

Not one mention of Sills either.  Did anyone pay attention past the 3rd round?  Sills led the nation in TDs over the last two years.

I personally wish D.K. all the best. If he turns out to be the next  young T.O then Seattle got a bargain. I have nothing against D.K. and will not root against him. The Bills had a lower draft value on him than the second round. Has anyone in Buffalo media asked Beane what grade they had on D.K.? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Who on the team possesses DK's skill set? What WR? 

What skill set? To be able to run three NFL routes? 

The 3-cone drill results from the combine killed him in the draft for teams with GMs that needed something other then a straight line receiver. The guy scored in the bottom 3% of every player tested in the last 25 years. He is still looking for that last cone...

The Buffalo Bills learned their lesson from the PX 90 kid in the 2009 draft. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. 

36 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Being drafted a little later will probably put a chip on his shoulder 

"Chip on his shoulder" in a way overplayed statement. It's basically saying that this guy wasn't going to give it all for the chance to earn millions and millions of dollars, but because he was drafted 15-20 spots later than some people thought he'd go...NOW he's going to give it his all..

Notwithstanding the reason for the fall from mythical Top 10 status, IMO he (and AJ Brown) did deserve to go before #40. Seattle got huge value picking him at #64. He would be especially useful on improvisational plays (where a QB is scrambling) where his lack of route running polish will get hidden and he can showcase his superior athleticism and catch radius. I think he is great for Russell Wilson (and would have been great for JA too). Would have been fun to have seen Metcalf fall to #74 just to see what the Beaneman thinks of him.

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

"Chip on his shoulder" in a way overplayed statement. It's basically saying that this guy wasn't going to give it all for the chance to earn millions and millions of dollars, but because he was drafted 15-20 spots later than some people thought he'd go...NOW he's going to give it his all..

I always took it to mean that he has a bit extra motivation to prove a group of people wrong. Not that he is now motivated more, but it's just an extra goal I suppose. Sometimes that gives you a little extra push. 

2 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

He has tremendous potential, there is no questioning that. The issue is, when is the right time to pull the trigger on potential? 

Beane said it best in his post-draft presser, he watched the board thinking “oh man i can’t believe some of these guys are still on the board”, but that he wanted to stay put instead of spending draft capital and messing with the big board. 

In years to come we may look back and say “man I’m glad we have Singletary instead of Metcalf”. 

It could also go the other way too. That’s the beauty of the draft. You trust your scouts and your guts and you build your team the way you see fit. I would have loved him in the 3rd or 4th, but I’m also happy with the way things panned out for the Bills this draft. 

Yeah, Beane gets the benefit of the doubt. Let’s hope he is correct.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Who on the team possesses DK's skill set? What WR? 

No one.  All of our WR's are better at running routes than DK.  

more worried about production than "skill set."   Not sure what skills DK has beyond combine numbers. 

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

John brown has that straight ahead speed. That’s all dk has. Dk is like one of those racing semis. They go fast straight ahead but they can turn.  

DK's flaw was being a competitor and running the cone drills. He should've done like Julio and Calvin and said thanks, but no thanks to the cones

2 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Maybe Yahoo Sports can get caught up in the hype but guys that watch thousands of hours of film, like Crabbs and the crew at TDN, had a high grade on DK.

I guess we’ll see how it turns out. Personally, I’d much rather have stayed put in round 2 and taken DK than have traded up for Ford. 

I'm hoping, for the Bills sake, that Crabbs and crew are wrong about him. 

24 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Notwithstanding the reason for the fall from mythical Top 10 status, IMO he (and AJ Brown) did deserve to go before #40. 

Did you send letters to each team #40 to #61 and tell them they were incompetent? 

If he SHOULD have gone before #40 he would have.

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

No one.  All of our WR's are better at running routes than DK.  

more worried about production than "skill set."   Not sure what skills DK has beyond combine numbers. 

I think he means getting his willie wet.

3 hours ago, Toesy said:

The funny thing about that article and Metcalf's shirtless photos-you can walk into a gym in any fair sized city and there will be a few guys or more who have a lot more impressive builds than Metcalf-it doesn't make you an NFL star.

Got an address for one of those gyms? Asking for a friend.?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

John brown has that straight ahead speed. That’s all dk has. Dk is like one of those racing semis. They go fast straight ahead but they can turn.  

Don Beebe had stiff hips and could not turn well either. Had the same straight line speed.

He was a good role player though and DK may have that same ceiling, so high pick was and is not his value.

3 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Don Beebe had stiff hips and could not turn well either. Had the same straight line speed.

He was a good role player though and DK may have that same ceiling, so high pick was and is not his value.

with wilson that's the perfect spot for dk. russ loves to throw up 50 50 balls and can throw deep. if dk doesn't succeed there he won't anywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1