I can't ever remember there being more consensus of approval among Bills fans for a 1st round pick

Logic

56 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Given how threads on him went during the season it’s really surprised me honestly. 

Even for the WR and OT guys, we all know this was an outstanding pick. There is absolutely nothing to argue about. Just plug the other holes day 2 and 3.

If we sit here and draft Defensive secondary players tonight the heads will roll though.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The only people I’d expect blowback from are the DK cult followers.  Scary group

It somehow always makes me even more relieved when these guys pumped up pre-draft by their fan club ends up dropping dozens of picks from where people wanted the Bills to take him.

Edited by KD in CA

31 minutes ago, skibum said:

That’s the thing- this year, there was really nobody left on the board to argue about. Unless you think they should have traded up, but none of the top 8 are several assets better than EO.

That’s really the thing here.  Oliver is the guy I wanted who I thought could reasonably make it to the Bills. We got him. Pretty much all of the other players others preferred were already gone. Except for Metcalf.  And his fans can’t reasonably argue that he should have been the pick at 9 now. They are busy still hoping for him to be a Bill anyway. 

48 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

When Raiders and Giants passed on Allen I thought Bills had a chance. I hoped Jax would go Hock and Detroit would take Oliver. Once Allen was off the board then it was Hockenson or Oliver.

Four years from now it will be very interesting to see how all these DL guys pan out

I am sure that it will be very interesting also for Jets fans. Most of them were furious about Williams (which I find very odd) and wanted either Oliver of Allen.

Funny how we are now tied to them in terms of Darnold vs Allen and Williams vs Oliver in two consecutive drafts. They had the choice both time, so really curious how it all pans out.

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Um... Willis McGahee 

Hello???

Sad the Bills only managed to drive that guy into the ground......round peg square hole......they screwed him and themselves with poor coaching decisions.....screwed.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No offense, but why do we always have to do this? Been happy with the pick but knock another player?  And if Oliver has close to the start of his career than Dareus did, he will be amazing.  I think people underestimate how good Dareus was before he got paid. 

And Dareus was a pretty much consensus pick in 2011, especially with Newton and Miller off the board. Big nasty run stuffer when we had the worst run D the year before.

12 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I am sure that it will be very interesting also for Jets fans. Most of them were furious about Williams (which I find very odd) and wanted either Oliver of Allen.

I believe their gripe is they keep picking basically the same player over and over and then letting that guy go (Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson, etc). They feel the team is prepping themselves to let Leonard Williams walk too. Their complaint makes sense, imo.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

Yes, so boring....?

this is one coming up is the interesting pick.. they will have a lot of options, and if they are really set on someone, now is the time to use some draft capital to get him.

37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Flip side, I don’t remember a pick getting killed the way the Giants are for Jones.  It has to be less than 5% of people liking the pick.  

I love Oliver but I think Allen is the best player in the draft.  It’s crazy how many teams passed on him.  Seems like a super mature and focused guy too. 

Honestly, I couldn't think of a realistic scenario where Jones would not have been there at 17 for the Giants...but, I could be wrong.

I do think Allen will end up being the best of this defensive crop. I confess, when he started to drop, I allowed myself to get a little excited at the thought he might be there at 9

29 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

It somehow always makes even more relieved when these guys pumped up pre-draft by their fan club ends up dropping dozens of picks from where people wanted the Bills to take him.

But DK is an elite talent.  Ed Oliver isn’t. So we should take DK based on him being a freak.  LOL

Ed Oliver might be the biggest freak in this draft.

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I believe their gripe is they keep picking basically the same player over and over and then letting that guy go (Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson, etc). They feel the team is prepping themselves to let Leonard Williams walk too. Their complaint makes sense, imo.

The Jets are to D-linemen what the Bills are the CBs

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The Jets are to D-linemen what the Bills are the CBs

EXACTLY what I was realizing as I was typing that post. Glad others see it too. And I'd argue even more frustrating to Jets fans since DL is a position where a big contract can be justified, and they are typically harder to find than CBs (although the Jets have done a good job at finding guys).

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

EXACTLY what I was realizing as I was typing that post. Glad others see it too. And I'd argue even more frustrating to Jets fans since DL is a position where a big contract can be justified, and they are typically harder to find than CBs (although the Jets have done a good job at finding guys).

They have indeed.  Both the guys you mentioned above were terrors with the Jets.  But they had lots of issues too, off-field, contract, etc.  Glad they both left!

Geez...I didn't realize Cleveland has Richardson too!  Talk about putting all the difficult eggs in one basket.  They are either going to the Super Bowl or will be the most enjoyable implosion in recent history.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Oh god.

I can't even imagine.  Years of Bills draft fandom had me completely conditioned for Jonah Williams at that pick.  This place would have been a nuclear winter had they used the pick on something else.

I think the Bills finally have a GM that looks at pure skill, production, and projection when drafting.  Jonah would have been a Jauron type pick.  

1 hour ago, TOboy said:

Even when our consensus guy would fall in the past, we'd end up drafting a RB or a S. It's really cool to have a front office that you trust to make the right moves. 

^^^^^This. How often has that happened over the previous 20+ years? It's our time now. NE, get out of the way, we've looked at your tail lights long enough, we're about to pass you in the fast lane :P  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Just what the title says.

At least in the past decade, I really can't remember this much consensus approval among Bills fans over the player chosen with our 1st round pick. 

Maybe it's because no one thought Oliver would last to the 9th pick, maybe it's because it was such a meeting of value with need (and with Oliver's badass, quarterback-destroying acumen). Whatever the reason, I feel like I only saw two or three belly-achers on the board after the pick was announced, which is extremely rare.

Bills fans seem to be in rare agreement about the draft, at least for one brief, shining moment. I'm sure we'll rectify this problem once the second round begins. ?

Only other point I’d add as to why we are all in such agreement would be that we addressed many of the holes in FA in other areas (wr, ol, te) but hadn’t added a replacement for #95.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's a top 3 talent who wasn't supposed to fall past 7. Thank you Raiders! Today we pick a quality wr & te. The process continues. 

Or OL, some very, very good interior guys coming up right now in RD2

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

a robot would have made that pick

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It definitely would have be an auto pick.  But I think you are severely underrating Beane’ Jedi powers to make the Raiders and Giants make their picks.

A lesser (or less confident) GM would have panicked and traded up to assure himself of Oliver.  Beane should be credited with remaining patient -- sometimes not making a move takes more guts than making one.

• Like (+1) 1

As one of the resident DK supporters. I like the player, and in hindsight maybe there wasn't a better option. I didn't see any indications before the draft that Metcalf would be at best the 3rd WR off the board and that he'd fall to the 2nd round. My main cause for any greif about the pick prior to it being made is that this team has invested heavily in the defensive side of the ball for a long, long time and it's never manufactured into results. When we had to best D in the league under Jim Schwartz and Kyle, Dareus and Hughes all went for double digit sacks, did we make the playoffs?

I've thought for a few years now that in order to have a defense that can carry a team, you really need 11 great players with 3-4 All-Pro level guys. That's a lot to ask of a team, and even then they often fall short. Teams score far too much for any D to stop them all the time under the new rules. I think it makes more sense to have a solid, opportunistic D with unconventional schemes, and then have an explosive offense that can score at will, and who you know will score every single time with 40 seconds left to win the game.

To do that you need a great QB, one elite receiver, one great pass-catching RB, and 2 other very good receivers. Your o-line sucks? That's fine. Wilson, Rodgers, and Ben have made due.

Edited by BullBuchanan

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

For myself, I try to be a consistent person.  I didn’t want the Bills to draft Josh Allen 1.0 so I struggled to be as excited as I wanted to be. I loved Oliver before the draft and I’m very excited that the Raiders and Giants did what they did.  It is the first time the Bills did what I wanted so now I’m scared. 

I'm in the same boat. By the time we were on the clock, it just made too much sense. Now had Josh Allen(defense) fallen, I think I might have been a bit conflicted.

It was exactly what I wanted Beane to do, so now I'm a bit concerned as well.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

At least in the past decade, I really can't remember this much consensus approval among Bills fans over the player chosen with our 1st round pick. 

Maybe it's because no one thought Oliver would last to the 9th pick, maybe it's because it was such a meeting of value with need (and with Oliver's badass, quarterback-destroying acumen). Whatever the reason, I feel like I only saw two or three belly-achers on the board after the pick was announced, which is extremely rare.

Bills fans seem to be in rare agreement about the draft, at least for one brief, shining moment. I'm sure we'll rectify this problem once the second round begins. ?

I was going to post this last night.....but yes your totally correct.  Normally the board is so divided over that 1st pick.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah.   I knew next to nothing about the top rated guys.   I'd see Oliver's name mentioned, with people saying no way he'd last to 9, and maybe Beane would trade up for him.   So some Metcalf talk, and all the Hock talk.  So when the pick came and they took Oliver, at least I knew his name.  A half hour later I came here to see what people were saying, scrolled through the thread about the first pick, and I was amazed at the consistent, almost unanimous enthusiasm for the pick.  

There's an interesting mathematical rule that says if you take a lot of people, none of whom have any special information or knowledge, and ask them to estimate the number of gumballs in a large jar, they're individual guess are all over the place.  Some way too high, some way to low.  But apparently if you average all the guesses, the average comes out really close to the actual number.   That is, the collected wisdom of a lot of people usually is pretty much on the money.  If that rule applies here, it seems like the Bills got a good one. 

I, for one, think it's really cool to have gotten a guy who could be as important to the long-term history of the franchise as the guy who's shoes he's been drafted to fill.   I'd like to have back-to-back all-star QBs, like the Colts did, but if I can't get QBs, back-to-back all-star D tackles is pretty nice.  

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Maybe Sammy. There were folks questioning the expense to get there, but with Mack off the board folks were good with him.  

There are are folks that worry about Ed size, there are folks baffled that he had a down season and played 0 most, though he projects as more of a 3 tech. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

OP = whippersnapper.

OJ & Bruce say ‘Hi’!

Bruce has some red flags around substances and conditioning. Nether ended up as issues. Not even close. 

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Beane has been horrible with receivers.  

Hard to really tell totally. Tyrod was not an accurate passer. Peterman...enough said and Allen was a rookie. 

Benjamin was a total failure.

Foster could be a huge success. Signed two vets to help and I think he is about to make another pickup today or tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

I think Mike Williams was the last guy we drafted with such universal approval among fans. 

I will concede that the pick was generally well received, but certainly not universally. 

Some of us thought it was an awful pick with McKinnie on the board.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And Dareus was a pretty much consensus pick in 2011, especially with Newton and Miller off the board. Big nasty run stuffer when we had the worst run D the year before.

I think Dareus was the last pick where everyone or almost everyone was fully on board since it was thought that Newton was a lock to go one and the two top defensive prospects were Miller and Dareus in that order. Everyone pretty much wanted the Bills to take either Dareus or Miller whomever fell. The Bills did exactly that. 

As for the Jets they took the best player in the draft on many boards. I would have made that decision too. The Jets have since 2011 spent 4 first round picks on DT's. That's 4 picks in 9 years which is a lot but not exactly tragic. Three of the players so far have been pretty good thus far. Mo Wilkerson had 2 double digit sack seasons and was a 2 time All-Pro. Richardson made a pro-bowl and was traded for a second round pick. Leonard Williams thus far in his career has been pretty good he made a pro-bowl in 2016 and has played at a fairly high level for some bad Jets teams. 

The Jets taking Q.Williams was just a prudent move esp given where the league is going pass rush wise. Pairing Q.Williams up with L.Williams is a great foundation to a defensive line. I don't see how their fanbase can B word about it. It's not like their non-DT picks since 2011 have been any good all have been busts besides Jamal Adams (Who I think is a hit) and the jury is still out on Darnold. 

If I was a Jets fan I think their ability to find talent at the DT position makes me more confident in the pick. 

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Honestly, I couldn't think of a realistic scenario where Jones would not have been there at 17 for the Giants...but, I could be wrong.

I do think Allen will end up being the best of this defensive crop. I confess, when he started to drop, I allowed myself to get a little excited at the thought he might be there at 9

The Giants are the NFC's Raiders. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

For myself, I try to be a consistent person.  I didn’t want the Bills to draft Josh Allen 1.0 so I struggled to be as excited as I wanted to be. I loved Oliver before the draft and I’m very excited that the Raiders and Giants did what they did.  It is the first time the Bills did what I wanted so now I’m scared. 

You are a very conflicted man ?

11 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Dareus was the last pick where everyone or almost everyone was fully on board since it was thought that Newton was a lock to go one and the two top defensive prospects were Miller and Dareus in that order. Everyone pretty much wanted the Bills to take either Dareus or Miller whomever fell. The Bills did exactly that. 

As for the Jets they took the best player in the draft on many boards. I would have made that decision too. The Jets have since 2011 spent 4 first round picks on DT's. That's 4 picks in 9 years which is a lot but not exactly tragic. Three of the players so far have been pretty good thus far. Mo Wilkerson had 2 double digit sack seasons and was a 2 time All-Pro. Richardson made a pro-bowl and was traded for a second round pick. Leonard Williams thus far in his career has been pretty good he made a pro-bowl in 2016 and has played at a fairly high level for some bad Jets teams. 

The Jets taking Q.Williams was just a prudent move esp given where the league is going pass rush wise. Pairing Q.Williams up with L.Williams is a great foundation to a defensive line. I don't see how their fanbase can B word about it. It's not like their non-DT picks since 2011 have been any good all have been busts besides Jamal Adams (Who I think is a hit) and the jury is still out on Darnold. 

If I was a Jets fan I think their ability to find talent at the DT position makes me more confident in the pick. 

The Giants are the NFC's Raiders. 

Oh I agree that the Jets have been great at finding DT talent. Especially since most of those guys kill us when we play them. And I expect Q Williams to do the same.

I also understand that Q Williams was for sure the BPA at #3, and I always argue for going BPA in the 1st round.

But I get fans getting frustrated with the constant wheel spinning. They never re-sign any of these guys to stop the cycle. L Williams is entering his contract year. If they let him walk next year because they have Q Williams to replace him, that is just more of the same. They should re-sign L Williams and then have that interior DL locked down for the next 4-5 years.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh I agree that the Jets have been great at finding DT talent. Especially since most of those guys kill us when we play them. And I expect Q Williams to do the same.

I also understand that Q Williams was for sure the BPA at #3, and I always argue for going BPA in the 1st round.

But I get fans getting frustrated with the constant wheel spinning. They never re-sign any of these guys to stop the cycle. L Williams is entering his contract year. If they let him walk next year because they have Q Williams to replace him, that is just more of the same. They should re-sign L Williams and then have that interior DL locked down for the next 4-5 years.

They resigned Mo Wilkerson but he just got fat and lazy once he got the big money, Sheldon Richardson was becoming a headache so they traded him for good value rather than deal with him. L.Williams is still on his rookie deal and they can franchise him. So unless they traded L.Williams or don't resign him then I don't see what there is to criticize about the Jets drafting the position a lot.