Besides O-line, what was the biggest issue with the Bills offense?

#34fan

31st ranked passing offense is pretty terrible.  Bills were the 9th rushing offense, which just highlights the team's lack of balance.

I just think the playcalling absolutely SUCKED. -I'm talking overall.  There were some bright spots, but Daboll didn't seem to be calling games with the intention of winning them.

The games were often hard to watch from an offensive standpoint. Zero creativity, and no tempo.   -Thoughts?

Edited by #34fan

Since you brought up Daboll… In the article about Castilo he said the offense was very complicated.  Is that the right thing to do with a rookie QB, a struggling oline, and a young team of no playmakers?

Outside of Oline this team needs a receiver that can get separation and fight for the ball.  Someone that lays out and makes tough catches.  A TE that will do the same.  Allen needs to improve as well.  See what the offense looks like when those things happen.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Since you brought up Daboll… In the article about Castilo he said the offense was very complicated.  Is that the right thing to do with a rookie QB, a struggling oline, and a young team of no playmakers?

IMO, Absolutely not.   -It's that type of tone-deaf coaching that has me not caring for Daboll.

With a full year under their belt and a new off-season to prepare, it's not out of the realm of possibilities to think that the offense takes a step forward in regards to executing the complex scheme.  

From what I've read about E-P offenses, they are easy on the QB conceptually but a little more difficult on the skill positions because they require a high degree of execution across the board.  

1 minute ago, Capco said:

With a full year under their belt and a new off-season to prepare, it's not out of the realm of possibilities to think that the offense takes a step forward in regards to executing the complex scheme.  

From what I've read about E-P offenses, they are easy on the QB conceptually but a little more difficult on the skill positions because they require a high degree of execution across the board.  

I'd say that level of complexity requires above-average coaching to instruct it.  The off-season firings of multiple position coaches is just the first step,

-Beane now has to replace them with better options.

We have zero TE's on this roster, I would rather start over with all new players at the TE position. As much as I don't like Z. Jones I guess you need to keep him and Foster but I don't think either is a number 1. Our trenches on both sides of the ball need to be upgraded. This rebuild might take until 2021.

28 minutes ago, #34fan said:

31st ranked passing offense is pretty terrible.  Bills were the 9th rushing offense, which just highlights the team's lack of balance.

I just think the playcalling absolutely SUCKED. -I'm talking overall.  There were some bright spots, but Daboll didn't seem to be calling games with the intention of winning them.

The games were often hard to watch from an offensive standpoint. Zero creativity, and no tempo.   -Thoughts?

Weapons and QB (Josh needs to improve and I think he will)

It’s multiple things. 

Forget the 9th ranked rushing offense, that’s mostly on Allen scrambling. 

You have a line who can’t run block. 

Too much shady losing 2-3 yards. Not enough smash mouth ivory for 3-4 yards.

unproven receivers with unproven quarterbacks. 

No tight ends to make plays in the mid range game. Perfect storm of crap for this seasons offense 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

No playmakers

Put another way- no one changes the math. There’s no one that challenges a double team and no blocker that absorbs an elite rusher without help. 

Allens running threat helps and Foster is getting there but the rest of the offense loses 1-1 matchups too easily 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

A lack of receivers who can consistently catch the ball.

....or get any seperation. Oh, and our OLine provided not even a threat of a running game. I realize this thread was started with an agenda, but I see it as misplaced. You can’t judge the coaching when you are overmatched at almost every position. You can’t judge the lack ot talent with ONE draft under the current GM.  

19 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Where to start?

Rookie QB for whom the game still moves too fast 

Lousy pass catchers 

No running game

No veteran leadership on offense 

Yup.  It was particularly egregious to put a raw rookie QB into an offense with a vertical passing game with such poor OTs and no real weapons at WR or TE.  Add in no running game and it's no surprise that Allen and the passing offense struggled.

QB play in the passing game.

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

Yah, that's somebody's fault? -Who?

It's something that happens in rebuilds, a lack of talent, often in several areas. Not everything is somebody's fault.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

QB play in the passing game.

It's something that happens in rebuilds, a lack of talent, often in several areas. Not everything is somebody's fault.

Yeah.... I'm blaming Beane anyway.... And I Blame McDermott for Beane being hired in the first place.

I've seen re-builds where teams didn't suck for three years, and GM's didn't miss on every player in FA.

It's all on McBeane from here on out.  

3 hours ago, #34fan said:

Rookie QB, subpar Oline, Started the season with WRs that could catch.  Had to learn a new offense. You think those things might hinder the ability to be creative.

42 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Yeah.... I'm blaming Beane anyway.... And I Blame McDermott for Beane being hired in the first place.

I've seen re-builds where teams didn't suck for three years, and GM's didn't miss on every player in FA.

9-7 and sneaking in the playoffs isnt sucking.  So we sucked for one year and I would actually argue we only sucked for half a season.

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Outside of Oline this team needs a receiver that can get separation and fight for the ball.  Someone that lays out and makes tough catches.  A TE that will do the same.  Allen needs to improve as well.  See what the offense looks like when those things happen.

I thought Castillo came across very poorly in that article. Clearly there was a disconnect and it only makes sense to get an OL coach that fits Daboll’s philosophy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lack of talent at the offensive skill positions, to go with the aforementioned and acknowledged weakness on the OL. This and the inexperienced QB likely led to the simple gameplans and lackluster playcalling. I’m not sold on Daboll, but I’ll hold off on concern about playcalls until he has a talented offense that underperforms. 

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Put another way- no one changes the math. There’s no one that challenges a double team and no blocker that absorbs an elite rusher without help. 

This is very true, and something I was thinking about as I watched Peters neutralize Khalil Mack earlier.

6 hours ago, #34fan said:

Bills were the 9th rushing offense

That rushing stat is greatly misleading...It was basically all Josh...Take out his rushing yards (68% of which came in only 4 games) and the Bills are the 31st rushing offense..

The running game outside of Allen was just awful...They were at about 85 yds per game with the rest of the team rushing...

I'm not one to say you have to have a top running game to win in the NFL...I do think however you need at least an average rushing attack...It keeps Defenses honest and greatly effects play action passing...Of the bottom 16 teams in rushing only two, Philly (28th) and Indy (20th) made the Playoffs...And I'm guessing Indy was at least a top 16 rushing team in the 2nd half of 2018...

Of course this directly ties into O-Line play...But I think it's just as important to build a respectable running game in 2019 as it is to bring in more skill position talent...It will open up so many things for Josh...To me that means an O-line overhaul (RT, RG, C) and one of the slew of mid-round RB's that will be available in the upcoming Draft...?

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1

Wrs & TE's with terrible separation,  route running and catching skills.

Poor run blocking leaving RB'S struggling for holes or bouncing outside for no gain.

Waiting for the "Patriot" Daboll to show up?

Thats all I got, and I expect all 3 to figure it out in 2019....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KOKBILLS said:

That rushing stat is greatly misleading...It was basically all Josh...Take out his rushing yards (68% of which came in only 4 games) and the Bills are the 31st rushing offense..

Agreed. -It was largely Allen. 

Doesn't make it any less imbalanced.  I think the fact that the rushing yards came from the QB, shows just how out-of-wack that offense was. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, #34fan said:

Look at New England.  They rebuild the team constantly over and over and it stays at the top, all while having horrible, low draft slots.

The notion that 2018 had to be a terrible season for the Bills' "greater good" is garbage, but it's a dish most fans at this forum seem happy to consume.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, QCity said:

This is very true, and something I was thinking about as I watched Peters neutralize Khalil Mack earlier.

Yup- Mack is the type that requires two guys attention and still effects scheme/design. Suddenly the rest of the field is 10 defenders vs 9 offensive players because of his presence. 

We need guys like that or guys that absorb him leaving it 10-10

That's a bit "other than THAT, Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

14 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

My big two would be the early instability at QB due to the competition and then injury and Allen’s promising but overall uneven rookie campaign, and McCoy either carrying an injury or simply having lost a step.

McCoy has always been an RB who needs blocking to get him in space.