Bills have released Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Steptide said:

I completely forgot Holmes was still on this roster 

You missed his amazing punt coverage?  Or did you miss his special teams penalties?

44 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Corey was picked up by the Patriots. Dreadful Patriots.

Matthews caught a key TD for Philly the other night, Dreadful Eagles.

Zay Jones is on fire in his second year. Dreadful Bills.

But other than that, you TOTALLY nailed it. :lol:

On fire?

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I wonder if KB will be like Schmidt, and show up to tailgate with fans Sunday.  Mead, give him a stromboli!  Do you make a 'low cal' version?

No, Keep him as far away from OP as we can.

1 hour ago, Joeziehmer said:

A lot of these guys they brought in like KB and Trent Murphy they are now having severe buyers remorse on.  When you read how his gaps, assignments, reads, and stunts got manhandled it doesn’t give one confidence with Love being promoted it means that we keep Murphy as a big body and perhaps transition it to DT just to clog running lanes but even that is a stretch.  

Not quite sure what you're watching. Murphy's been fine when healthy. You say "a lot of these guys they brought in ... they are now having severe buyers remorse on." Who, other than Benjamin?

Ivory? Barkley? McKenzie? Poyer and Hyde? Lotulelei? They're paying Clay too much but they aren't the FO that paid far too much for him. Their pickups have mostly been OK, though they've taken some low-priced fliers on guys that haven't worked out, like Pryor and Boldin, but there's nothing wrong with trying in situations like this.

They've made some mistakes ... everyone does. But overall, understanding that this was a rebuild, they've done fine so far. Still a lot to prove, but they've done well while still cleaning up the salary cap.

10 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

You missed his amazing punt coverage?  Or did you miss his special teams penalties?

On fire?

3 TDs in his last three games? I wouldn't have used those words, myself, but they're not all that far off the mark. He's playing well recently, with a revolving cast at QB and as a 2nd year man who was injured for a lot of camp.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

I love, love, LOVED McDermotts comment "we need to trim the fat off that route" i was literally rolling on the floor laughing. 

Then 2 days later hes canned. LOVE IT!

Hahaha my coach would say the same thing when looking directly at overweight underperforming players. It's not a deep metaphor!

39 minutes ago, yrly said:

Call me crazy but I would not have cut him.

Guaranteed salary is one reason. I’d have made him sit the bench. No one would have signed him next year so you could sign him to a very low heavily performance laden contract. In doing so you could throw him out there as a decoy on certain routes even if he sucks they’ll still cover him.

Now someone can try him out for free

I kinda thought the same thing, but it opened up 2 rosters spots and they brought up 2 guys from the practice squad that are fighting for chance all year for a spot, when kb looked like he was collecting a pay check and nothing else.

29 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

On fire?

He looked like a casualty this offseason, and with a new quarterback he's easily going to double his rookie production.

He's getting better. More productive. He helped account for 14 of the team's 17 points this weekend. 

So, yeah. For Zay Jones, he's on fire. Think it's too much? Fine. But he's much closer to "on fire" than "dreadful." Anyone can see that.

Well, anyone being honest with themselves.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

Corey was picked up by the Patriots. Dreadful Patriots.

Matthews caught a key TD for Philly the other night, Dreadful Eagles.

Zay Jones is on fire in his second year. Dreadful Bills.

But other than that, you TOTALLY nailed it. :lol:

What a silly post.  We traded Darby, a starting cb on the Eagles (who were happy to get rid of JM) for Matthews.  He had less than 300 yards for us (he has less than 300 yards for the Eagles this year).  Great move.

we traded a 7th for Coleman and cut him after a week.  The Pats picked him up for nothing and cut him.  Great point!!!

Zay Jones is on ? to the tune of 42 yards/ game! Meanwhile, JuJu is at 92 yards/ game and is a top 10 receiver. Kupp was at 71.  Fun fact, they didn’t have to trade up for either of these guys.  But man, you really got me!!!  

another fun fact.  It’s ok as a bills fan to not pretend like every move they make is great.  They have a done good job on defense.  But to pretend like they haven’t been failures on offense, especially at receiver, is just lying to yourself.  This offense sucked.

2 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

I love, love, LOVED McDermotts comment "we need to trim the fat off that route" i was literally rolling on the floor laughing. 

Then 2 days later hes canned. LOVE IT!

Our coach was with him in Carolina when he was like 300 lbs and traded for him.  So dumb. 

• Like (+1) 1

When Beane traded for KB I was so very happy that the Bills finally had that big, tall red zone target AND he had a history of success at Carolina.

This guy was playing like he just signed a 100 million dollar contact and turned into a complete bum in Buffalo while in a contract year...dunno why. 

Now I'm glad that overpaid underachiever is finally gone and was wondering why it took so long.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Woo Hoo !!!

two of the guys i wanted gone !

A bunch more to go.

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

I completely forgot Holmes was still on this roster 

Me to until i was going through the roster for spring cleaning

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well OK then but who are we putting on the field?

Croom?

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Boldin retired. And they didn't lose a dollar on him. No fault falls on the Bills for that evaluation.

Well come on now, no fault at all? I don't think the Bills signed Boldin with the expectation that he'd be retiring a few weeks later. Or Vontae Davis, for that matter -- they brought these guys in expecting them to contribute or else they wouldn't have brought them in. The team spent resources to acquire Jordan Matthews & Kelvin Benjamin expecting more than what they ended up getting. It's a recurring theme with this regime -- their evaluation of what they will be getting out of a player has mismatched with the reality of the player a lot in a short amount of time. Boldin, Davis, Benjamin, Matthews, Peterman... those are all pretty significant misfires in evaluating a player's ability to contribute.

But maybe it's all just part of the process! 

This move gives me hope that Beane and McD may just be ok after all.

The offense has been getting a little more attention lately with guys like McKenzie. 

They are cutting the fat and giving young guys a chance. 

Good moves.  Now let’s see what happens in the draft.... in six months.

That is a long time to wait to see what happens next. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Woo Hoo !!!

two of the guys i wanted gone !

A bunch more to go.

Me to until i was going through the roster for spring cleaning

Croom?

....Pegula's daughter approves of this message.........:thumbsup:.....

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

When Beane traded for KB I was so very happy that the Bills finally had that big, tall red zone target AND he had a history of success at Carolina.

This guy was playing like he just signed a 100 million dollar contact and turned into a complete bum in Buffalo while in a contract year...dunno why. 

Now I'm glad that overpaid underachiever is finally gone and was wondering why it took so long.

It took long cause this regime traded for him.  If he was a Whaley deciphile he would have been gone long ago 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Can you just admit they ***** the position up royally? 

It's been awful since they got here... due to them.

Admit what?  

Many things have been bad since they got here!  However the old players that were here were terrible as well when playing for the Bills.  Not a big deal Scott!

I fought the Law and Scott won!  I fought the Law and Scott won!

14 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

KB giving up on routes all day vs Miami--including one that lead to an INT--was the final straw.

I’m just so, so happy right now.  KB, go F yourself.  I hope that was the last dime you ever make in the NFL. You earned exactly none of the money you stole from the Bills. 

14 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

It's funny most fans were calling for this 6-7 weeks ago...  but we we're the dumb irrational ones..

Yep and 6-7 weeks ago the Bills were trying to trade him - what is your point - that you wanted him gone before the Bills front office - doubt it.

As I said before with him - they get no salary relief by cutting him - it was 100% guaranteed- so it did not make a lot of sense to cut him until they were eliminated from the post season because all it did was eat into your remaining cap space in case of injury’s.  A trade would have been a different story.

The Bills did what they should of done and started to reduce and eliminate playing time and get the young’s guys some experience- now they are eliminated- cut him and go 100% with youth and if you get an injury it does not lead to you missing the playoffs.

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with you, my question is just, they put up with his lazy lardass routes and no-effort blocking all season, what made the Miami game different?

I think the lazy and no effort is why they wanted to trade him and why his playing time decreased, but cutting him meant his salary still counted and you needed to find a WR.  

I think they were concerned about getting an injury to another WR - or one of those guys not developing while still in a playoff race and you end up with no experience in the locker room at crunch time with no money to sign a replacement.  

Out of the playoffs - let’s work more on youth and potential guys that will be here next year.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

True, on MLB, NBA but the NFL does guarantee the year after week 6. If not KB would not be getting paid. Instead he is getting a cool 2m to sit home and *****.

They should take back KB's salary and divide it among all the season ticket holders and refund them for having to witness this travesty.

KB salary was guaranteed from day 1 because it was the 5th year extension.  It has nothing to do with how many games he played - his salary was 100% guaranteed for this year.  The only way to get rid of it was to trade him.

Even if in the preseason the Bills cut him - he counted against the cap the same amount and he would have been paid by either the Bills or another team.  

This was negotiated to help both the players get some money and give the teams another year of control and I do not have an issue with that.  

KB had some interesting traits:

1.  I've never seen a starting WR put forth less effort.

2.  I've never seen a starting WR struggle to catch the ball and hold onto it as much as KB.

3.  For a guy as big as he is, I've never seen him break a tackle.    Hell, I don't know if I've ever seen him get a YAC.

This is literally addition by subtraction.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Monty Green said:

Well come on now, no fault at all? I don't think the Bills signed Boldin with the expectation that he'd be retiring a few weeks later. Or Vontae Davis, for that matter -- they brought these guys in expecting them to contribute or else they wouldn't have brought them in....It's a recurring theme with this regime -- their evaluation of what they will be getting out of a player has mismatched with the reality of the player a lot in a short amount of time...

But maybe it's all just part of the process! 

Sometimes it seems the brain trust is using the player write ups from the backs of the football cards to decide their choices.  Football cards from a few seasons back.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

This move gives me hope that Beane and McD may just be ok after all.

The offense has been getting a little more attention lately with guys like McKenzie. 

They are cutting the fat and giving young guys a chance. 

Good moves.  Now let’s see what happens in the draft.... in six months.

That is a long time to wait to see what happens next. 

They corrected a mistake that cost them a 3rd round pick. Not sure this means they are ok. Yeah, they fixed a mistake, but it was a costly one.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Even the national media is bashing KB, while giving Bills brass kudos. I was done with him when he dropped a sure TD in mop up duty at Baltimore. 

We we should retire #13, just because..

...this pretty much tells you this door stop just doesn't get it....SMH............

"It's just a bad season," Benjamin said. "It is what it is. Just football, man. You have good seasons, you have bad seasons. I've had successful seasons in this league. I'll have plenty more. For some reason, it's just not the year."

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, trade has nothing to do with it. He was set to become a UFA in the offseason and if he signed elsewhere that would factor into the comp pick formula for the Bills. The odds of it resulting in a pick though are low because the Bills are expected to be a player in FA so likely won’t experience a net loss, and he’s not expected to get a large contract which makes a difference. 

Thanks! I know his contract and producotin are figured in...

It's not a great look for Beane but it had to be done.  He's now traded picks and paid $$ to two former first-round receivers who have contributed nothing (Benjamin and Coleman), and traded away a first-round receiver who continues to perform at a high level.

No, we do not need to re-hash that here.

But Beane is up against it now to prove he can evaluate talent on offense.  Can't keep swinging and missing.

Wrt "why now," I don't think it's just that they're out of the playoffs.  I think it's also about leadership and team chemistry.  Allen is making progress as a player and a leader and this move, in part, removes obstacles to his continued ascension as a leader.  It also sends a message that they're not tolerating that kind of attitude any longer (and as bad as it was all season, it was noticeably worse on Sunday - on Zay Jones' second TD, Benjamin is literally jogging a clear-out route ahead of Jones - never seen that before and I am not convinced it was the proper route).  

Finally, gotta hand it to Benjamin - one of the worst contract year performances I've ever witnessed.  Can't really say it's about $$ for him because he cost himself millions this season.  He clearly doesn't love the game.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

This eclipses the Bryce Brown trade everyone hated so much.

Not a good look for Beane.

They traded for him during a playoff race when our receivers were really banged up.  He ended up tearing his meniscus in like his 2nd game here and came back and continued to play sparingly.  

This season was supposed to be his chance to go through camp - be the number 1.  He has been nothing short of worthless.  

We shot a shot to try and get to the playoffs (we did but he had little to do with it, maybe that TD against Indy in the snow game) - We also had a pick surplus from the Watkins, Darby, Ragland, & Dareus trades. Considering they ended up moving Tyrods last year, and Glenn as well the lost pick isn't exactly hamstringing our draft.

Bryce brown was just - a bad player evaluation in the offseason.  Either way, neither worked out.

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It's not a great look for Beane but it had to be done.  He's now traded picks and paid $$ to two former first-round receivers who have contributed nothing (Benjamin and Coleman), and traded away a first-round receiver who continues to perform at a high level.

No, we do not need to re-hash that here.

But Beane is up against it now to prove he can evaluate talent on offense.  Can't keep swinging and missing.

Wrt "why now," I don't think it's just that they're out of the playoffs.  I think it's also about leadership and team chemistry.  Allen is making progress as a player and a leader and this move, in part, removes obstacles to his continued ascension as a leader.  It also sends a message that they're not tolerating that kind of attitude any longer (and as bad as it was all season, it was noticeably worse on Sunday - on Zay Jones' second TD, Benjamin is literally jogging a clear-out route ahead of Jones - never seen that before and I am not convinced it was the proper route).  

Finally, gotta hand it to Benjamin - one of the worst contract year performances I've ever witnessed.  Can't really say it's about $$ for him because he cost himself millions this season.  He clearly doesn't love the game.

a 7th round pick for coleman isn't really worth anything... it was training camp and they knew our WR room was bad.  Try and improve it

As for Watkins - 40 for 500 and 3 isn't exactly a high level (hes a top 10 paid WR).  He's also been having foot issues all season, and his cap hit triples in 2019.  They can't even dump him on this deal because they guaranteed so much.  The only way to lessen the cap hit would be to extend him, and no one would do that when he missed time every year with a foot soreness issue.  If the foot issue continues it could be one of the worst contracts in football.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Who would that be?

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, bmur66 said:

The only real problem with both of these guys is that they can't catch. Other than that they are pretty good receivers.

I knew I believed this to be true the day they put Benjamin on the hands team for an onside kick and I questioned why he was out there because he can't catch. I was not being glib, I literally feared he would drop the ball if it came to him. That is not good.