Given the Keys to Draft How Would U Drive The Car ?

T master

It's looking less likely that we will be picking in the top 3 which is where the insane trade offers are made on.  If picking 5-10 take the most elite player even if that player plays defense.  If the cards fall that way then picks 2 and 3 should be for the offense.  If the NFL is going to be this pass happy league then having two top corners may not be a bad thing for a short term counter strategy.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Aren't we suppose to draft a QB in every round?

Don't you mean a cornerback? After all, Marv Levy said that you can't have too many corners.

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

First pick would be a CB in the top 10.  Should be one worth taking that high up and should get us a blue chip corner to pair with Tre and complete a very good secondary.   

My next pick would be BPA but would slant to either OL/WR.   Then OL/WR again.    In the 4th round I would probably use some of my later picks and move up for either a LB or TE.   Still looking for starters at that point.   

If I owned the team and they picked a corner in round 1, I would rush up to the podium and fire the GM and the coach on national TV.

• Like (+1) 1

Its hard to say as I don't know how the teams needs will be structured based off how the back 6 games play out. For example if Zay and Teller play lights out to end the year I might approach the draft and free agency differently. Going off of what we know now I would sign a high end center and Guard, plus try to trade for Emmanuel Sanders, while adding a upper echelon WR via free agency. I would also look into resigning EJ Gaines if he hits the market and the price is reasonable. The team should still be able to resign Lorax and Cameron. 

I would go BPA round one, just add talent to the team if its a dynamic player although  I would prefer O-line. Round 2 I would go WR, you need depth and a player waiting in the wings to take over for the older players there. Round 3 I would go RB or TE both positions where the team is older and could use a bit of youth. The mid rounds I would just always draft BPA mostly fill out depth needs and get young players behind vets. 

Right now I look at the Bills as needing 3-4 impact starters on offense via free agency and 2 additional high draft picks on offense. That's 5-6 supplemental starters needed and possibly finding another corner and some continued depth overall. It should be doable to fill all or most of these needs with the current draft picks and the cap space. 

I drive forward.  Really, really quickly.  88 mph to be exact.  All the way back to the year 2000.  Instead of drafting Flowers in the first round of the draft, I draft Tom Brady.  Now some might not like that move.  Maybe they would want a different QB.  Not me.  Drafting Brady would be a two fold win for us.  For one the obvious possible goat discussion.  For two... we would never had to play against him all this time.  Patriots would be basement dwellers and the Bills would rule the NFL.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

To me it depends on where they pick. I’m a believer that you never reach on a position and should try to draft to the strength of a deft because you get better value. If I’m picking at 6 (where things stand currently) I’m almost certainly picking a defensive player at this point. The value is just better. Greedy Williams, Ed Oliver ans Quinnen Williams would probably be my realistic targets. There are a bunch of day 2, early day 3 OL and WRs. 

Maybe something like:

- Quinnen Williams

- Kelvin Harmon

- Ross Pierschbacher

- Anthony Johnson

That would be an amazing draft!

If possible I want to drop to around 15-17, I'd look at either Greg Little or AJ Brown if still there. Outside look at Gerald Willis at DT. He's been an absolute monster at Miami this year. I think round 2 you get BPA for OL or WR or CB, round 3 the same for OL or defensive player

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I wish I had seen him play enough to have an opinion.   I like to wait until January to really dig into the draft.    But looking at what we have in Hughes/Lawson/Murphy it doesn't seem like a weak position, not when we need help at OL/WR/CB  

Allen is versatile as a mofo.  Can play both 4-3 OLB positions, IMO, and can clearly play DE.  Good as a pass rusher, and more than enough speed and athleticism to drop into coverage.  I’d be thrilled with him as our 1st round pick.  He won’t last until where we will likely be drafting though....

• Like (+1) 1

Simple.  Don't reach and don't trade up for WR's.  Take the consensus pick that Kiper or McShay gives you.  Trade down where possible to pick up more talent.  Don't do the following:

McGahee instead of, I don't know, anybody

Whitner instead of Ngata (or trade down to teams looking for Leinart or Cutler)

Troup instead of Gronk

Maybin instead of Orakpo

Spiller instead of Bulaga

Trade up for TJumptomakeacatch Graham, instead of Russell Wilson and/or Captain Kirk

Get rid of Fitz and draft EJ because you had to, since you passed on Wilson and Cousins

Blow three first-round picks on Sammy Watkins, Jr, instead of taking Mack there, or just waiting for OBJ to fall into your lap, in a loaded WR draft (this move alone set us back 5 years)

Bottom line, stop trying to be smarter than the common wisdom.  If we had just drafted the consensus picks, we would have made the playoffs multiple times instead of once in the last 18 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Trade down if possible. The best guys are on the defensive side so I'd draft an edge guy to augment pass rush in round 1.  Then focus on O line; try to get a top C or RT.  Look for a WR then.

If I come out of the draft with an edge guy , starting C, and a WR I feel great.

not knowing where we will pick makes this tough. 

i would like to be able to trade back and pick up an extra 2nd. 

i would take both 5's paired with bot 7's and turn those into 4ths.

i would take  a 4th and the 6th and make it a 3rd. so that would look like...

rd. 1.   bpa  early/mid 20's  

rd. 2.  2 picks

rd. 3.  2 picks   (possibly 3 here if the rd. 1 trade back is far enough.)

rd. 4.  3 picks

8 - 9  picks in the first 4 rds.?  given the way they have been drafting, they should crush it.....plus the free agency money, this team should be oozing talent next year.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Trade down if possible. The best guys are on the defensive side so I'd draft an edge guy to augment pass rush in round 1.  Then focus on O line; try to get a top C or RT.  Look for a WR then.

If I come out of the draft with an edge guy , starting C, and a WR I feel great.

the great thing about the recent wr moves is that we don't have to draft multiple wrs high.

we will have zay jones  / foster/ resign thompson /  keep or replace holmes and draft a really good one.  suddenly we have a respectful arsenal.

44 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

not knowing where we will pick makes this tough. 

i would like to be able to trade back and pick up an extra 2nd. 

i would take both 5's paired with bot 7's and turn those into 4ths.

i would take  a 4th and the 6th and make it a 3rd. so that would look like...

rd. 1.   bpa  early/mid 20's  

rd. 2.  2 picks

rd. 3.  2 picks   (possibly 3 here if the rd. 1 trade back is far enough.)

rd. 4.  3 picks

8 - 9  picks in the first 4 rds.?  given the way they have been drafting, they should crush it.....plus the free agency money, this team should be oozing talent next year.

the great thing about the recent wr moves is that we don't have to draft multiple wrs high.

we will have zay jones  / foster/ resign thompson /  keep or replace holmes and draft a really good one.  suddenly we have a respectful arsenal.

I agree to a point.  Getting an athletic bigger WR would be helpful, but they realized they needed to add speed and they did, that's for sure.

Like you idea about using he lower round picks to move up.  Linemen would be my focus there.

15 hours ago, Dopey said:

I know you didn't ask me, but that's a tough one. Ed Reed type? probably. Otherwise, trade down or bpa at a need. The bpa at a need could be seen as a reach though. That's why I say that's a tough question.

Damn you got me there.  I'd flip flop more than a pancake if I had a high pick

Assuming we are in the top 10, I would trade down, far enough to get another 2nd and and 3rd or 4th.  This would require going down to #20 overall or so. First order of business would be free agency:

- Trent Brown - LT, Patriots (young, huge and decent)

- Matt Paradis - C

- Tyrell Williams, WR

- Jesse James, TE

Draft:

1- Kelvin Harmon, WR

2- Dalton Risner - RT

2- Damien Harris, RB

3- Kaden Smith, TE

3- DK Metcalf, WR

Offensive Line would be:

LT - Trent Brown

LG -Wyatt Teller

C - Matt Paradis

RG - Dion Dawkins

RT - Dalton Risner

It's way too early for gut feelings, but I think Rashan Gary is a target.

Rd1: Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan

Rd2: Trey Adams, OT, Washington

Rd3: Top WR remaining - Hakeem Butler, Kelvin Harmon, Parris Campbell, Deebo Samuel, David Sills, Riley Ridley are all in the late 2nd to early 3rd discussion

Rd4a: Top RB remaining - Justice Hill, Devin Singletary, Darrell Henderson, Myles Gaskin, etc.

Rd4b: TE or C - TJ Hockenson, Keenan Brown, Tommy Sweeney, Kendall Blanton; Garrett Bradbury, Erik McCoy, Ross Pierschbacher, etc.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 1

In the top 10 I would have these players.

1.  Greedy Williams

2.  Josh Allen

3.  Jonah Williams

4.  Ed Oliver

For where we will probably pick if we pick in the top 10 these are the guys I would take.  Outside of that, I'd try to trade into the teens and in that area I'd have:

1.  N'Keal Harry

2.  Montez Sweat

3.  Chris Lindstrom

4.  Raekwon Davis if he slips past 10

Edited by NewEraBills

23 hours ago, T master said:

With the season almost past it's half way point & some teams with the huge possibility of not being in the play off race or at least the odds stacked against them to make it there, there has been some talk about the draft for the 2019 season .

If you were the guy to make the call when the Bills number was up who or what position would be of the utmost importance to you & the future of the team ?

Would it be O line ? WR ? TE ? LB ? DB ? or another position that you believe is lacking that could put the Bills over the top for years to come ?

Personally i believe it all starts in the trenches both on Defense & Offense & i would go with building the offensive line taking the best available linemen which looks like it could be (for me) the kid from Bama, Williams as my first over all pick I know it's not real sexy but given Dawkins, Teller, & Bodine being Okay we need a good RT & he fits the Billz !!

If this is something that has already been posted my apology ! 

Let's see what we have after free agency before discussing the draft. 

19 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

It's looking less likely that we will be picking in the top 3 which is where the insane trade offers are made on.  If picking 5-10 take the most elite player even if that player plays defense.  If the cards fall that way then picks 2 and 3 should be for the offense.  If the NFL is going to be this pass happy league then having two top corners may not be a bad thing for a short term counter strategy.

I'm open to it. So long as RDS 2-7 went to offense. I could live with it. Two shutdown corners is not a bad thing.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm open to it. So long as RDS 2-7 went to offense. I could live with it. Two shutdown corners is not a bad thing.

Gotta remember that there are several picks in Rds 4-7 at present so I would not be upset if Beane took a couple defensive players late.  Not saying that they will likely take defense 1 but if they do I want picks 2 and 3 for the offense and one pick per round barring trade in Rds 4-7 for the offense.

If we ended up with 6th overall pick.  I would:

1st-trade down(unless future HOF is available)

1-(middle of the round)-CB or OL 

1-(middle of the round to 25ish)-CB or OL or WR

2-CB, OL, WR

3-RB

All other picks BPA

The reality is that your draft plans have to be very fluid.  A player you didnt expect to be around at a certain point may be too good to pass up.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I'd only add TE to that list.

Seems like decent TE's are drafted in the middle rounds every year.

On 11/20/2018 at 5:18 PM, matter2003 said:

How could anyone possibly know this without knowing where they are drafting, who is avaialble at the time their selections come up and what trade offers are on the table??

Its just for fun.  Even on draft night you cant really tell.  Like i said in my other reply, the draft is fluid.  Who would have thought we would walk away with Allen, Edmonds, and Phillips.  I felt all three would go in the first with Allen and Edmonds going in the top 10.

On 11/21/2018 at 1:18 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Impossible to answer this now.  What draft slot we get will heavily influence this answer and so will FA.  But if forced to answer now...

BPA in first or trade down.  It’s a defensive heavy top 10, so depends where we finish year on our draft slot.  I wouldn’t pass on an elite defensive prospect say in top 5 and reach for an offensive guy just because we need offense more.  I would take the best player and make our D elite or I would trade down for more assets and load up on offense.

My preference is to trade down.  I would take 2 OL and 2 WRs in draft...again depends a LOT also on what we do in FA.

We also need to look at CB, TE, and maybe RB in draft too...again depending on what we need do in FA.

It also depends on how  Jones and Foster do the rest of the six games in 2018

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills should build the Oline via free agency. Sign bandcamp member Daryl Williams he's a pro bowl RT . I would also add Mitch Morse at C and Ramon Foster at G.  

STARTING 5 IN 2019

LT Dawkins

LG Foster

C Morse

RG Teller

RT D Williams 

With free agency being weak at the skill positions the Bills will have the money to spend big on the Oline. I'm thinking its gonna cost upwards of 30mil to sign all 3 of these players. But with Dawkins still under control for 2yrs and Teller for 3yrs it wont hurt much towards the cap. Lets just say there spending 35 mil on there oline thats an average of 7 mil per player thats not bad in todays NFL.  Plus that money gets us a top 5 oline so thats money well spent . 

Wr 

I would go hard after Tyrell Williams . He's gonna command a deal at about 10mil per in free agency but for us to sign him i think we got to offer more . 12 mil per will get him here. Ty Will fits what McBeane is looking for in a Wr . He's big and fast has great hands and is a team player. I would also offer Kevin White a 1yr prove it deal and i think he'll take it especially if we offer him a sizeable role in this offense.  Kevin White will be looking for a team like us to get the oppurtunity to be featured he also fits the McBeane type Wr with his size/speed . 

TE i think this position is weak in free agency but there is a few under the rader guys i think the Bills should take a good look at starting with Demetris Harris from KC . DH is a freak stands at 6'7 and 260 lbs and has very good speed to stretch the seems . He's another guy looking for a featured role being stuck behind Kelce for the last 5yrs and he's only 27yrs old with low milege . DH would be a great signing because he can block and can slide into a #2 TE role easily in the future once we develop the TE we will draft. 

The 2nd guy i would take a look at is Erik Swoope from Indy . He's one of those basketball power forward converted types that can have a bright future in the NFL with more development. 

Other TE's i wouldn't mind signing in free agency is Jesse James from Pitt and CJ Uzumoh from Cinny.

DE

This is the position i believe the Bills should go big on Jadeveon Clowney.  Back up the brinks truck and dump the money on this kid. JC wants to go back to his original postion at DE and i don't believe Houston has the money to franchise him. With Hughes entering his final yr in his deal were gonna need to get his replacement. JC would be a menace on this D and with my plan to go DT with our first pk in the draft Ed Oliver and resign Jordon Phillips to go with Harrison, Star , Murphy & Shaq this will give us the deepest DLine in the league for yrs to come. 

Cornerback #2

Sign EJ Gaines . Ej played the best ball of his career under McD in 2017 and would come cheap for maybe 3 or 4mil per yr.. this signing also solidifies our secondary for the foresable future. Another Bandcamp member we can possibly sign is Bene Benwikere . BB is another Mcd type that he developed while at Carolina and he's having a good season over in Arizona under Steve Wilks. He fits our system like a glove and won't command much money in free agency. 

Now to the Draft 

1st rd Ed Oliver if he's not there then Rashaan Gary . Get our 3tech of the future.

After rd 1 go hard on offense. Best available from rds 2 threw 5 on Wrs, TE & RBs. With the Oline being built threw free agency and some value signings at Wr and TE other then Ty Will. We can afford to add best available talents via the draft. I would attack my offseason like this and i expect the Bills to do the same especially with the offense . We will be looking for value players that haven't been given oppurtunity to start or be featured on there previous teams. This will be mainly because not only is free agency weak on offense but because the Bills arent prime destination for top free agents on the offensive side of the ball either.

I've changed my thinking on this lately.  I think edge rushers are over-valued now relative to their importance.  Interior rushers are more important given the spread passing concepts that dominate today's game.  I'd focus on interior defensive line (there are some really good prospects coming out) AND interior offensive line (for the same reason, in reverse).  I'd like another CB and a RB.  I'd try to build the WR and TE groups through free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I've changed my thinking on this lately.  I think edge rushers are over-valued now relative to their importance.  Interior rushers are more important given the spread passing concepts that dominate today's game.  I'd focus on interior defensive line (there are some really good prospects coming out) AND interior offensive line (for the same reason, in reverse).  I'd like another CB and a RB.  I'd try to build the WR and TE groups through free agency.

Effective, every down interior pass rushers are rarer than edge players.

Obviously the draft will hinge on what free agency lands us in March but remember there are a handful of other teams out there with just as much free capital to spend as we have.

I think we'll sign the Carolina Panthers RT and possibly Shaq Mason for RG but will be taking the best Center available in the draft because the unrestricted FA Center's coming up this year are weak.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The only problem with that is that virtually all the new QB's are perfectly capable of moving out of the pocket and throwing on the run. Also, it's damn near impossible to find consistent interior pass rushers. If you do happen to find one, then by all means go for it.

I still view edge rushers, particularly dynamic athletes capable of tracking mobile QB's, as the most important players on defense.