Would you use Shady as trade bait?

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

He’s not asking if they’d do it. He’s asking if they’d take it if you say yes or no. If you’d say no you’re nuts. 

I love the shade man as much as the next guy but c’mon. 

Yes I would. A 30 year old Shady with that contract would be gone. No brainer.

What exactly could we get for an aging RB when this draft is deep with guys that can pound the rock?

As the great Lombardi once said.....pound the piss outta the RB’s and then put them out to pasture when they got nothing left (I’m paraphrasing here)

47 minutes ago, White Linen said:

We'd get a 5th or 6th round pick for him.  What do you propose we do with that?

Theres cap space too...

I would’ve considered it more strongly in March and if there was a round 3-ish attached. Sign a decent vet and add a day two rookie with the pick/savings. It’d be a matter of win now with shady or take a little risk for gaining better long term building prospects and a more focused running approach. I like shady but I also like the models we saw in Minnesota (depth kept them solid despite injury) and nola (healthy and consistently strong).

15-20 touches a week and shady is your guy but if you need 30 carries or see a rolled ankle and those backfields are better. 

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Very. They wouldn't want that contract. 

essentially 2 years 12m with little risk. It’s not terrible for a new team.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Theres cap space too...

I would’ve considered it more strongly in March and if there was a round 3-ish attached. Sign a decent vet and add a day two rookie with the pick/savings. It’d be a matter of win now with shady or take a little risk for gaining better long term building prospects and a more focused running approach. I like shady but I also like the models we saw in Minnesota (depth kept them solid despite injury) and nola (healthy and consistently strong).

15-20 touches a week and shady is your guy but if you need 30 carries or see a rolled ankle and those backfields are better. 

essentially 2 years 12m with little risk. It’s not terrible for a new team.

Same answer.  Draft a young Barkley instead. 

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Same answer.  Draft a young Barkley instead. 

Not trying to change your mind, but for discussion sake...

at that point 2 years of shady with no guarantees vs 4 years of Barkley fully guaranteed with both at the same pay rate.... the pick gets you a little longevity

but with a pass rusher or corner or... it saves you $10m a year in cap space that can be spent on addition 

barkley looks like a great player but the structure of pay slotting vs positional pay rates for vets makes running back a really limited value that early.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

at that point 2 years of shady with no guarantees vs 4 years of Barkley fully guaranteed with both at the same pay rate.... the pick gets you a little longevity

but with a pass rusher or corner or... it saves you $10ma year in cap space that can be spent on addition 

As I stated in previous comment, Barkley will get more than $7 mil per year average if picked #2 overall

If it helped us land our franchise QB and/or add another key component to either side of the ball then yes. Age is a huge factor if you found the right price and the right trade partner then I'm all for it, I would hate to see him go but if the team got better in the long run then yes. I trust Beane to make the right decisions. 

Just now, MJS said:

McCoy is best used as a RB and nothing else.

Not like 30 year old running backs (with big cap hits) have a lot of trade value, you know.

The cap hits if traded are essentially 6 flat with no guarantees. A little above average starter money with far below average commitment. The pick is the biggest issue honestly. 

1 hour ago, bills in oregon said:

I would strongly consider it. he turns 30 this year and what do you hope to achieve with him on the roster? I really like him but I think we could use him to get more picks. this RB class is also deep. 

we have plenty of picks and you don't win by getting rid of your best player

2 hours ago, bills in oregon said:

I would strongly consider it. he turns 30 this year and what do you hope to achieve with him on the roster? I really like him but I think we could use him to get more picks. this RB class is also deep. 

Emphatically no.  We have too few offensive weapons as it is.

And at the age of 30, we'd never good value for him in a trade.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

but with a pass rusher or corner or... it saves you $10m a year in cap space that can be spent on addition 

barkley looks like a great player but the structure of pay slotting vs positional pay rates for vets makes running back a really limited value that early.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't make any serious considerations for something beyond the realm of any possibility.  If you're into that, be my guest. 

4 hours ago, jdonley1180 said:

yes 30 yrs + RB's are expendable for the right price even if theyre bound for Canton

What "right price" do you get for an "expendable" player?  I swear, do some of you read your own posts back to yourselves?

Edited by White Linen

5 hours ago, mannc said:

He has little or no trade value, so no,

He has little trade value and at the same time it would make it more difficult for a young QB like McCarron or the rookie succeeding in 2017.  

They've already essentially swapped out Cordy Glenn for Jordan Mills/McDermott/Newhouse to get a 3rd round pick...........which is pretty scary on the surface.

So not sure what's worse.......a young pocket QB with a rookie RB pass blocking for him or starting a low-end vet like Chris Ivory.   

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I've said it many times..........people need to understand that rookie contracts are short and 5th year options are prohibitive. 

Basically they get Barkley for 3 potentially happy seasons...........and then that 5th year option has to be picked up or not........and then feelings start getting hurt.

It's not like back in the day when you picked Donte Whitner and knew you were basically bound to him for 6 years..........decisions have to be made earlier.

We just saw 3 big time talent WR's change hands after only 3 seasons with the team that picked them because of the option...........that's something that will continue to happen.

I would consider it in in principle.  By the time we are good and the QB we draft has matured into The Man, Shady isn't going to be around anyway.

Don't think you can get much for him, though, so it's all kind of moot.

Or in TSW parlance, mute.

11 hours ago, White Linen said:

We'd get a 5th or 6th round pick for him.  What do you propose we do with that?

What makes u think this is his value i know he's almost at that age but he's a special player that's alluded big hits for the majority of his career.  

The only way i trade him is for a 2nd rd pk anything less i keep him. 

8 hours ago, White Linen said:

What "right price" do you get for an "expendable" player?  I swear, do some of you read your own posts back to yourselves?

ya i read it.  I think most runningbacks are expendable, especially ones that are 30 + years old.  How good can McCoy be running behind a bunch of scrubs on the Oline here in Buffalo? Another team that may be built to win now and has a decent Oline could probably get more production out if him, thus making him more valuable to said team. At what price do we let McCoy go? That's a tough one,  because I don't think you could get anything more than a 3rd for him, and that at face value seems like a loss for us. But taking his contract into consideration, and the depth of Oline talent in this years draft,  I think I could live with that.

I'd encourage everyone to check out The Bills Beat Podcast with Joe Buscaglia, Matt Fairburn, and guest host Tyler Dunne.  The three role play as one of the actual GM's in the league.  Much shade is thrown at John Dorsey and Dave Gettleman for being "Football guys."  They have the Bills trading up to #2 by giving away #12, #22, #56 and a #1 in 2019.

Anyway toward the end of the draft they pose a very interesting question.  You can hear the audio for yourself at the 1 hour and 33 minutes mark.   With the potential of 6 QB's going in the first, there is sure to be some highly ranked talent that gets pushed out of the first round - notably players at WR, DL, and LB.  Philadelphia is a team that really doesn't have many pressing needs filled this year in the draft.  If you are Brandon Beane do you consider trading Shady to the Eagles for that #32 pick?  

The idea here is that it would be a win-win for both parties and the Bills would be "doing right" for Shady.  He would have the chance to reach 12,000 yards, help contend for a Super Bowl, and potentially retire with a team that he still clearly loves.    Also it was rumored that once Howie Roseman took control of personnel back from Chip Kelly, one of the players he tried to get back was LeSean.  So it shows that there could be interested there.  The Bills would take a hit in the immediate future, but would get great value for a 30 year old running back who might only have a few seasons left.    They also could use one of the mid-round picks on the replacement for Shady.

It is an interesting question.  All three said it's very unlikely for several reasons, but Fairburn said that given Shady's age the Bills should strongly consider it.

What do you think?

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Thank you (+1) 1