Bills Sign Ivory

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I agree, but the problem there is that every FA dollar you spend on one position, you can't spend it somewhere else...the same to be said regarding the Draft. So, if the Bills spend their FA money on Ivory and keep their money invested in Shady, they don't have the luxury of spending a 3rd round pick on a RB when they've already invested so much. Which for me, is one reason why I think it makes more sense to trade Shady. That same 3rd round pick would need to be a DT / LB or Offensive lineman if you're keeping Shady and obviously paying Ivory. 

? why is that? They need to add more RBs, they can easily take Shady’s future replacement in this draft and add him to the arsenal for 2018.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

My one concern: Douglas Marrone let him go and he loves those kind of RB's. Or was this a strict cap related move?

I’m 95% sure it was a cap move, they have a bunch of FAs coming up soon 

This seems like a pretty poor signing on the surface, but maybe it suggests that the front office isn't planning on spending much in free agency so that they were okay paying Ivory this much.

I suppose it at least allows Buffalo to focus on getting a good RB in the draft rather than specifically looking for a power back, but I can't help but think that Buffalo could have gotten a better option signed at a cheaper price.

5 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

did they give him league minimum?

he's not done well the last couple years.

They're paying him like a starting RB.

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This seems like a pretty poor signing on the surface, but maybe it suggests that the front office isn't planning on spending much in free agency so that they were okay paying Ivory this much.

I suppose it at least allows Buffalo to focus on getting a good RB in the draft rather than specifically looking for a power back, but I can't help but think that Buffalo could have gotten a better option signed at a cheaper price.

They're paying him like a starting RB.

Not really - it’s 2 yrs 5 mill. A lot of the “starting RB” salaries are skewed because they are on rookie deals. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Not really - it’s 2 yrs 5 mill. A lot of the “starting RB” salaries are skewed because they are on rookie deals. 

Isn't that kind of the point though? Buffalo could have easily gotten someone on a rookie deal that would likely be a better player too. He's roughly one of the 20 highest paid RBs next season.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

? why is that? They need to add more RBs, they can easily take Shady’s future replacement in this draft and add him to the arsenal for 2018.

I agree they will most likely Draft a RB. But when you consider their FA money position, plus their gaping holes at DT / LB / WR and some real depth issues at CB / Offensive line, there are only so many valued resources that can be allocated. So, taking a RB in the 4th is probably a better value than taking a DT in the 4th given their positional demand in McD's scheme. That's all....and if for some reason the Bills don't trade up or expend additional Draft picks, then using a 3rd round on a RB is more amenable but still silly if they keep Shady. 1st to 3rd round - and it's just IMHO before I get roasted - should be for anticipated starters. The 4th round on are guys you think have real potential but you're not completely sure and it may take time or it may never happen....why would a team in such desperate need for younger talent, take a guy in the 3rd round they have no intention of starting at a position that a 3rd rounder just won OROY?? To me, positional value says that if Shady stays, RB in the 4th is the sweet spot for them. And with that, they can STILL Draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round and have a nice tandem if they so choose next year when Shady is a FA. 

Ivory?  Could not care less. I'm thinking his best days are behind him.  in fact, this is the kind of signing that makes me harken back to other 'veteran' signings from years past in which the guy never makes it out of training camp before deciding he's not all that interested in playing anymore.  (Hoping not, this time.)

45 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Also, this in all likelyhood means Tolbert is gone, which is awesome 

Not necessarily.  He takes over the RB2 spot, but I could see Tolbert kept for Special Teams and RB/FB back up.  There's always a couple Teams guys on a roster outside the K, P, LS.

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Isn't that kind of the point though? Buffalo could have easily gotten someone on a rookie deal that would likely be a better player too. He's roughly one of the 20 highest paid RBs next season.

Again. They will also draft one on a rookie deal. They only had Shady and Marcus Murphy under contract. They needed more RBs. McD likes to have some vets who know what they are doing in addition to rookies. The only RBs he makes more than are on rookie deals or a team’s 3rd-4th option. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/running-back/

Daboll is used to an offense that has a stable of RBs that can do different things in NE and Bama. Not a guy who carries it 30 times a game with crap behind him. Look for at least 2 more RBs to be added.

this draft is so deep at RB that they can get a future starter in the 5th rd imo 

They are likely going to be able to move both TT and Glenn and have more cap and picks too 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Again. They will also draft one on a rookie deal. They only had Shady and Marcus Murphy under contract. They needed more RBs. The only RBs he makes more than are on rookie deals or a team’s 3rd-4th option. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/running-back/

In terms of the likely cap hit, some guys that were paid less last year:

Frank Gore

Rex Burkhead

CJ Anderson

Latavious Murray

Alfred Morris

Danny Woodhead

Jamaal Charles

LeGarrette Blount

There will likely be a bunch of free agent RBs that sign for less than this, especially considering how deep this year's draft is at the position. I mean, Blount got $1.3 million last year after rushing for 18 TDs the prior year. Guaranteeing a guy over $3 million to be a backup just doesn't make sense in today's environment, especially when you already have a high-priced starter.

Edit: His cap hit might come in under Gore, Burkhead, and Anderson depending on the way it's structured.

Edited by DCOrange

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Just saw this. Nice signing, he effectively replaces Tolbert.

I was so glad to see that we only gave a 1 year deal to the Toldozer.  He had a good career, but he's definitely over the hill.  Hopefully Ivory has a couple more years of tread on the tires.

Just now, dulles said:

I was so glad to see that we only gave a 1 year deal to the Toldozer.  He had a good career, but he's definitely over the hill.  Hopefully Ivory has a couple more years of tread on the tires.

He is what we refer to as a “culture carrier” in M&A. He was in Buffalo for a reason and a lot of it was locker room. 

56 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We're really playing the comp pick game. It makes me think we are looking to trade up and hope that our future comp picks soften the blow.

Was just thinking this too. Beane knows were getting comp picks next year and might feel better about making a move up next month

I think this is a good signing. Definitely an upgrade over Tolbert.

Ivory should be a great compliment to Shady.

I also feel confident that the Bills will still draft a RB this year. Please let it be Rashaad Penny.

54 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

No not at all. It's not about upgrading Mike Tolbert it's about getting better. I'd rather see Cadet get 3rd down snaps than Ivory. He isn't dependable with the football in has hands.

I don't get this fumble issue. If you have the rock in your hands, chances are something CAN happen. Ivory has fumbled 18 times in his career. I know he's been a PT back pretty much all that time. I just happened to pull up two RB's to see how many fumbles they had in their careers...Thurman and Emmitt. Thurman had 50, Emmitt, 62. For the life of me, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about their ability to hold onto the ball. BTW...Jim Brown, 57 times. 

27 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

did they give him league minimum?

he's not done well the last couple years.

We're not asking him to be the feature back. We're asking him to come in every now and then in pound the rock. He likely has enough left to be effective in that role. Plus he can block.

I think this is a decent signing by Beane and Co. I still think they take an RB middle to late draft, but always liked the way Ivory runs. It seems they are hedging their bets and  filling holes . If they are able to move up for a QB, using a remaining pick on an RB is less of a priority. Could be an indication. 

I still think they pick up a RB either in the draft or undrafted rookie free agency. Ivory will be the back that Tolbert was supposed to be and failed so I'm not sure why people are hating on the deal, he's older but doesn't have anywhere near the mileage of a featured back, this is a good thing for us especially when we add a rookie QB, these runningbacks will be his security blanket until he gets acclimated to the NFL imo.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Ivory doesn't count in the compensatory pick formula, which is just icing on the cake for the signing. Most other RB's that they'd sign after free agency starts probably would have. 

I think before the draft is the way to go. This way they can draft a guy in the 3rd if the value is right or they can wait until the 5th or 6th. 

42 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The draft is like a month and a half after free agency opens.  

I wouldn't have been surprised if Ivory was still waiting to be signed after the draft. Otherwise, find me a post June 1st cut to fill the spot. Again to me not a position that needed addressing immediately. I do wish the NFL calendar would change to move up the draft and then have FA afterwards. However, no way the players association would ever agree to something like that.

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

I wouldn't have been surprised if Ivory was still waiting to be signed after the draft. Otherwise, find me a post June 1st cut to fill the spot. Again to me not a position that needed addressing immediately. I do wish the NFL calendar would change to move up the draft and then have FA afterwards. However, no way the players association would ever agree to something like that.

They may have really liked the fit. I also just remembered that the Bills RB Coach was Ivory’s RB coach in Jax prior to last year. His last name is Skipper. 

8 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I don't get this fumble issue. If you have the rock in your hands, chances are something CAN happen. Ivory has fumbled 18 times in his career. I know he's been a PT back pretty much all that time. I just happened to pull up two RB's to see how many fumbles they had in their careers...Thurman and Emmitt. Thurman had 50, Emmitt, 62. For the life of me, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about their ability to hold onto the ball. BTW...Jim Brown, 57 times. 

He set a record for his fumble percentage. I went through some of his stats when they brought him in for a workout. Injuries and fumbles has been his recent history.