Bills Sign Ivory

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

I think we will, but it will be a developmental guy in the 4th or the 5th. RB injuries are so common, you would like to have 4 guys who can play. 

Yeah, I agree with this. A mid to lower round flyer sounds like a good idea. Younger, fresher legs. I would like that RB to be a Bettis type battering ram for the goal line pushes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Something special happening in Buffalo. Love it!

I think McBeane understood they had to upgrade the #2 RB spot and seen how important it was facing a team like the Saints and watching the Eagles second half.

I hope Cadet can come back for the #3 and then continued practice squad develop.

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

No not at all. It's not about upgrading Mike Tolbert it's about getting better. I'd rather see Cadet get 3rd down snaps than Ivory. He isn't dependable with the football in has hands.

I really like Cadet.  It sucks that he was injured, that really hurt the Bills depth last season...

Edited by ricojes

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Amazing what making the playoffs and having a good coach/gm can do

Making the playoffs means a lot. it's perception of the team...no one talking about playoff drought anymore...most talk is positive

IF the Bills keep Shady, and I'm not sure they do, I think this indicates any RB they Draft is a 4th round guy or later....you don't want to Draft a RB high and then have him 3rd on the list, this isn't like a QB. Once he's in the stable, you want him running...the clock to 30 years old stops for no one. 

And before anyone says, Beane outright stated Shady is a big piece of the team for next year consider this: we're all about smokescreens for Draft time, EXCEPT when the GM says things we want to hear and two, given how Shady was traded just 3 years ago, I think the team remembers and wants to do it the right way IF they're going to do it. Meaning, I think they want to be able to talk to Shady first and let him know what's coming and no better way than to come right out and say he's a big part of their future plans. Then they can change directions if the trade happens and just say, "It was an offer we couldn't refuse"....

Hate that Ivory is 30 but one of my favorite players since his time in NO. This guy just runs hard ever time he touches the ball. He doesn't go out of bounds and welcomes contact. If hes got anything left is a great addition to the locker room.

Good news!! For a few reasons. 

1. Ivory  is a good player, and a nice option for short yardage/goal line

2. Eliminates or severely decreases the need for an early  round pick being  spent on  a RB, now we  can  draft another positional need

3. our FO is demonstrating very good presentation. 2 visits, and 2 signings!!

4. we can get rid of Tolbert!!

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, elltrain22 said:

2. Eliminates or severely decreases the need for an early  round pick being  spent on  a RB, now we  can  draft another positional need

Number 1 is big for me

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
11 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Not a bad signing but damn, they need to get younger at the position eventually.

I think they will draft a RB, but this gives them some insurance and allows them to take a flier in the later rounds instead of using a higher pick on a more sure thing. 

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I wonder if this means we won't draft someone to be the future. 

Great question.  I think we will.  Likely someone a bit off the radar who complements Shady's skill-set (juke/catch)  

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

I remember ivory, Bilal Powell and the other RB that they had at the time, that was scary.

Was it the Arizona RB?  Thomas?

The Jets? They didn't have Forte at the time, right? CJ2K? 

Well, Shady should be happy. 

He specifically said (I believe it was at the end of the season) that that he wanted/needed a better #2 RB to help carry the load. Now he has one! 

I think he will be a very good compliment to Shady's running style too. 

17 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Not a bad signing but damn, they need to get younger at the position eventually.

I respectfully disagree.

As I and others have mentioned before the only time you need to get a RB is when you need to get a RB.  You don't need to groom them and although I don't believe they are a dime a dozen half way decent ones are easy to get.

If Shady and Ivory fall off this year, get one next year.  

We just don't need one to be "right there" just in case.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

Very good points!

7 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

IF the Bills keep Shady, and I'm not sure they do, I think this indicates any RB they Draft is a 4th round guy or later....you don't want to Draft a RB high and then have him 3rd on the list, this isn't like a QB. Once he's in the stable, you want him running...the clock to 30 years old stops for no one. 

And before anyone says, Beane outright stated Shady is a big piece of the team for next year consider this: we're all about smokescreens for Draft time, EXCEPT when the GM says things we want to hear and two, given how Shady was traded just 3 years ago, I think the team remembers and wants to do it the right way IF they're going to do it. Meaning, I think they want to be able to talk to Shady first and let him know what's coming and no better way than to come right out and say he's a big part of their future plans. Then they can change directions if the trade happens and just say, "It was an offer we couldn't refuse"....

If a young talented RB like Kamara drops to you I think you take him. I want the Bills offense to be filled with talented players. 

5 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Don't mind the signing would have preferred to wait until after the draft though to pick up a veteran. Yes I know there would be no guarantee he would still be available but to me it wouldn't have been a priority right now.

Ivory doesn't count in the compensatory pick formula, which is just icing on the cake for the signing. Most other RB's that they'd sign after free agency starts probably would have. 

I think before the draft is the way to go. This way they can draft a guy in the 3rd if the value is right or they can wait until the 5th or 6th. 

Edited by elroy16