Bills Sign Ivory

Chris Ivory has been one of the worst running backs in football over the last two years, averaging 3.6 yards per carry while producing more fumbles (seven) than touchdowns (five). It's no surprise he was cut by the Jaguars, but it's more difficult to... espn.com/espn/now?nowId…

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nice. Good choice as the #2 RB.  He complements Shady very well as a power back. 

4th string running bk averaging 3.6 yds per carry the last 3yrs gonna be 30yrs old next season. He fits right into the old man bks they love these guys. The worst thing bout this is they didn't believe Gillislee was worth this same money basically. 

2 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

4th string running bk averaging 3.6 yds per carry the last 3yrs gonna be 30yrs old next season. He fits right into the old man bks they love these guys. The worst thing bout this is they didn't believe Gillislee was worth this same money basically. 

Ha, was he?

We also got a pick out of Gillislee

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I remember ivory, Bilal Powell and the other RB that they had at the time, that was scary.

Was it the Arizona RB?  Thomas?

Thomas Jones? 

Edit: I see now someone already answered it above

Edited by Bray Wyatt
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

He hasn't been 4th string, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. He fits a role on this team and represents an inexpensive upgrade from Tolbert.  They?  This is an entirely different front office headed by Beane. 

Ivory was not very impressive last year. Still an upgrade compared to Tolbert but not feeling too excited about it. Definitely overpaid for him imo, I think better options will sign for less. Blount signed for 1.3 last year after scoring 18tds. This is kind of a headscratcher.

31 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I don't get this fumble issue. If you have the rock in your hands, chances are something CAN happen. Ivory has fumbled 18 times in his career. I know he's been a PT back pretty much all that time. I just happened to pull up two RB's to see how many fumbles they had in their careers...Thurman and Emmitt. Thurman had 50, Emmitt, 62. For the life of me, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about their ability to hold onto the ball. BTW...Jim Brown, 57 times. 

Chris Ivory: 19 fumbles on 1206 touches (1112 carries + 94 receptions) - 1.57% fumble rate

Thurman:  50 fumbles on 3349 touches (2877 carries + 472 receptions) - 1.49% fumble rate

Emmitt: 61 fumbles on 4924 touches (4409 carries + 515 receptions) - 1.24% fumble rate

If Emmitt had fumbled at Ivory's rate, he would've had 77 fumbles in his career instead of 61.  (Only about 2-3 fumble difference for Thurman.) 

I also checked on a couple other RBs that came to mind:

LeGarrette Blount: 1.22% fumble rate

Antowain Smith: 1.30% fumble rate

Fred Jackson: 1.69% fumble rate

Marshawn Lynch: 1.07% fumble rate

LeSean McCoy: 0.84% fumble rate (!)

I generally agree that it's not THAT big a deal.  But I think it's a valid criticism, because fumbles are a lot easier to overlook if they're backed up by HOF production.  Much harder to swallow for a guy who's getting you 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Edited by Cash
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I wonder if this means we won't draft someone to be the future. 

I don’t think it means that at all. Teams should have a stable of 3 good RB’s. They can still draft someone like Freeman in the 3rd to potentially take the reigns. 

Ivory and McCoy are up there in age.

Good signing though.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

To be fair, there's a good chance Rex would have also been able to get him since he is a former Jet and Rex loved them

The Bills have been making some moves jumping on the pre FA signings

Good gawd man - that comment about WRECK made me shiver.......so glad that blowhard CLOWN CAR and his idiot brother are FIRMLY in our rearview mirror!

Agree on the decent moves so far for sure!

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

I don’t think it means that at all. Teams should have a stable of 3 good RB’s. They can still draft someone like Freeman in the 3rd to potentially take the reigns. 

Ivory and McCoy are up there in age.

Good signing though.

I like it too.  Bills should still add a back in the draft.  Let him learn behind a few vets.

Don't want some rookie missing a blitz pick-up on Rosen's blindside next season.

10 minutes ago, Cash said:

Chris Ivory: 19 fumbles on 1206 touches (1112 carries + 94 receptions) - 1.57% fumble rate

Thurman:  50 fumbles on 3349 touches (2877 carries + 472 receptions) - 1.49% fumble rate

Emmitt: 61 fumbles on 4924 touches (4409 carries + 515 receptions) - 1.24% fumble rate

If Emmitt had fumbled at Ivory's rate, he would've had 77 fumbles in his career instead of 61.  (Only about 2-3 fumble difference for Thurman.) 

I also checked on a couple other RBs that came to mind:

LeGarrette Blount: 1.22% fumble rate

Antowain Smith: 1.30% fumble rate

Fred Jackson: 1.69% fumble rate

Marshawn Lynch: 1.07% fumble rate

LeSean McCoy: 0.84% fumble rate (!)

I generally agree that it's not THAT big a deal.  But I think it's a valid criticism, because fumbles are a lot easier to overlook if they're backed up by HOF production.  Much harder to swallow for a guy who's getting you 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Fred sucked, why did we keep him around.  Great stats.

16 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Ha, was he?

We also got a pick out of Gillislee

Really want to compare.  U think 4th string bks that are 30yrs old are worth 3mil guranteed.  Your boy Beane got fleeced these guys keep proving over and over that he they are horrible evaluators when it comes to offensive Football.  Ivory is at best a 3rd string bk at this point in his career.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Tomlinson, Johnson, forte...  The guy I'm thinking of was too long ago.  Thomas was his name but can't remember his last name. He had a first name as a last name.

The guy from the bears I think... right? Just looked it up, Thomas Jones?

Nevermind

Edited by Herc11
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

Fred sucked, why did we keep him around.  Great stats.

Thanks!  I was really surprised his was that high - I was expecting it to be much lower.  Selective memory, I guess.

It's legitimately shocking to see moves made by the bills at this time of the year. Between these little things and the fact that for the first time we started winning with trades, I am all in for Beane and Co. 

So Whaley i guess didn't win McCoy for Kiko or Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard ?

56 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I don't get this fumble issue. If you have the rock in your hands, chances are something CAN happen. Ivory has fumbled 18 times in his career. I know he's been a PT back pretty much all that time. I just happened to pull up two RB's to see how many fumbles they had in their careers...Thurman and Emmitt. Thurman had 50, Emmitt, 62. For the life of me, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about their ability to hold onto the ball. BTW...Jim Brown, 57 times. 

A more relevant stat would be carries per fumble

Nevermind

Edited by Herc11

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

So Whaley i guess didn't win McCoy for Kiko or Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard ?

McCoy for Kiko was a win but that one (at least how it has been conveyed) kind of fell in his lap. Sheppard for Hughes was definitely a win but it's quite overshadowed by the Sammy deal. Whaley wasn't bad at trades, (he was decent) but Beane (and McD) so far has shown a great ability with them. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's legitimately shocking to see moves made by the bills at this time of the year. Between these little things and the fact that for the first time we started winning with trades, I am all in for Beane and Co. 

First time winning with trades?   Really?

I think you need to be clearer on what you are saying.

34 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He hasn't been 4th string, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. He fits a role on this team and represents an inexpensive upgrade from Tolbert.  They?  This is an entirely different front office headed by Beane. 

He was last yr he lost his job to a UDFA and Yeldon.  That makes that scrub what?

14 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Really want to compare.  U think 4th string bks that are 30yrs old are worth 3mil guranteed.  Your boy Beane got fleeced these guys keep proving over and over that he they are horrible evaluators when it comes to offensive Football.  Ivory is at best a 3rd string bk at this point in his career.

Gillislee is 28 and so far down the depth chart that he’s inactive and makes 4 mil/yr.  now there is a genius of offensive talent evaluation for you, right? 

No one knows yet if Ivory will be 2nd, 3rd or 4th string. It’s March and they are filling out the Depth chart is with guys who fit the systems  and will add more RBs yet, likely cheap rookies. For a team without a Qb yet it makes sense to ensure the new QB has a decent group of RBs. Can’t put all your eggs in the Shady basket at this point nor can you put them all into a rookie. 

4 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

First time winning with trades?   Really?

I think you need to be clearer on what you are saying.

People are blind when it comes to McBeane.  We made the playoffs with the worst team we had statically since Chan Gailey was here. Now they have earned praise for being mediocre.  Btw we lost big time on that Darby deal and the Benjamin deal and the Dareus deal. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gillislee is 28 and so far down the depth chart that he’s inactive and makes 4 mil/yr.  now there is a genius of offensive talent evaluation for you, right? 

No one knows yet if Ivory will be 2nd, 3rd or 4th string. It’s March and they are filling out the Depth chart is with guys who fit the systems  and will add more RBs yet, likely cheap rookies. For a team without a Qb yet it makes sense to ensure the new QB has a decent group of RBs. Can’t put all your eggs in the Shady basket at this point nor can you put them all into a rookie. 

There paying him like a #2 . Gillislee btw his decision came before he couldn't do anything in New England.  He was great for us way better then anyone we had last yr. Please don't bring up age unless your saying Gillislee wasn't old enough but McBeane loves Grandpa backs.

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

People are blind when it comes to McBeane.  We made the playoffs with the worst team we had statically since Chan Gailey was here. Now they have earned praise for being mediocre.  Btw we lost big time on that Darby deal and the Benjamin deal and the Dareus deal. 

There paying him like a #2 

Yes we did!  And should have won that game....Great building block though...GO BILLS!!!

Edited by ricojes

@ChrisBrownBills: Report - Brandon Beane OUT as #Bills GM, #TwoBillsDrive member @NastyNateSoldiers IN as GM.  Stay tuned for further details.  #Fans don't get fleeced.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

@ChrisBrownBills: Report - Brandon Beane OUT as #Bills GM, #TwoBillsDrive member @NastyNateSoldiers IN as GM.  Stay tuned for further details.  #Fans don't get fleeced.

I said a while back, when the Bills win the SB, a few here will say "we won, but"....I now know of one for sure.

Embarrassing win...

Edited by ricojes

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

He was last yr he lost his job to a UDFA and Yeldon.  That makes that scrub what?

Yeldon is a better player at this stage and Grant out of the backfield as a receiver is much better.  No surprise his role was diminished in Jax with Fournette as the lead back.  He won't be asked to be the bell cow like he was with the NYJ is 2015.  Your heartburn seems a little much at this juncture in the offseason.