Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

Hey, everybody's crying about a franchise quarterback. Well next year's draft we're loaded with picks! Sammy and Darby weren't going to play into the long-term plans and they had lots of value now. I think this is going to be a longer-term build and Beane and McDermott know what they want. Not going to be a fun year for us but hey let's see. This is a very Patriots-like thing to do.

Watkins is usually out most of the season injured . He was a part time player . No big deal getting rid of him . The folks that are most angry about this move are the ones that bought his Jersey ! I bet he will be on the injury list by the 3rd game of the season .

Watkins is usually out most of the season injured . He was a part time player . No big deal getting rid of him . The folks that are most angry about this move are the ones that bought his Jersey ! I bet he will be on the injury list by the 3rd game of the season .

Every part of this post is false.

Hey, everybody's crying about a franchise quarterback. Well next year's draft we're loaded with picks! Sammy and Darby weren't going to play into the long-term plans and they had lots of value now. I think this is going to be a longer-term build and Beane and McDermott know what they want. Not going to be a fun year for us but hey let's see. This is a very Patriots-like thing to do.

THIS. This shows long-term thinking, and an actual plan. How anyone could be opposed after the last 17 years is beyond me.

Remember Sammy's comments about not getting paid enough and the 2014 draft class changing the pay structure of the NFL.

I'm guessing Buffalo didn't want to pay $17M (or more) for a WR next year, when their QB is somewhat limited in his ability to get the ball to that WR (and I am a Tyrod fan, don't get me wrong).

Plus like I said earlier, maybe he didn't fit the new culture. They want team first guys. Guys who put the team in front of themselves. I'm not sure that is who Sammy is.

And McDermott did say he wants players who are available to play and that's one thing Sammy has not been... Maybe that ankle tweak scare pushed them to get this deal done sooner rather than later?

If they had no intention of signing him, you have to get something for him when you can. I'm bummed, but I'm just trying to find ways to spin this. lol

Edited by BillsFan4

Guys, Sammy was fast and had good hands. We always would see flashes of what we hoped would be the future. Sammy could not stay healthy. Maybe now he can, i do not know. I like this approach. Beane has surely had some preliminary talks with Sammy's agent, and concluded that a deal was not likely. I like the decisive approach taken.

So we now have 2 1st's, 2 2nd's, and 2 3rd's next draft.

I smell franchise QB in 2018.

Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that the franchise QBs will be gone when we pick and we'll end up with another Losman consolation prize?

Edited by DC Greg

The trades make sense. Neither were going to re-sign here. Both would've walked for nothing in return. And neither really fit the new schemes.

Shocking, for sure. And it's not reassuring heading into the season. But I guess I get it without too much drama needed.

• Like (+1) 1

I was the biggest homer this board and I have concluded this as well.

They have no gameplan. If you are going to tank, why re-sign TT? How does Kyle Williams feel know?

Does anyone trust this team to pick the right qb? We have a first time head coach and GM picked by the head coach. This team is so @ss backwards.

The Rams must have had to put the phone down from laughing when the Bills offered Sammy for EJ Gaines.

So stockpiling picks, trading players who will not be here next year and resigning the best qb option their was is not a gameplan?

Loaded with one qb.

Tyrod has no one to throw to. Without Sammy Watkins, we have a rookie as a WR1/2 and a 37 year old vet as a WR 3/4. Both will be well covered.

Our 17 years of misery continues.

I don't think we're planning on throwing much. That Oline is a run pushing beast. Throw the ball to Shady or Boldin. We're a running team.. that statement is obvious now.

When Sammy has another whatever season if he can last through it and we have to decide to pony up $10-15m per...we will be happy to have gotten a quality corner and high 2nd.

Otherwise we lose him for nothing next year.

Sammy was a bad pick - cost us 2 first rounders and the payoff was not there.

Get rid of the Failures of the past and rebuild with high quality coaching and GMing.

Shocking set of trades but whatever. It's not like we were a WR or CB away.

Tyrod has no one to throw to. Without Sammy Watkins, we have a rookie as a WR1/2 and a 37 year old vet as a WR 3/4. Both will be well covered.

Our 17 years of misery continues.

He could try to throw to Clay once in awhile. Just a thought.