Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

I think I'm ok with this. Got two really good picks, and two decent replacements for a player that may not be able to stay healthy, may not be able to resign, and another young CB who has been inconsistent.

2 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds next year. Took advantage of the Eagles desperation for CBs. Darby for Matthews and a 3rd is big value independent of the Watkins trade.

I don't see this as a tank move unless Shady is traded.

That said, whoa, this is crazy.

Hated the trade when i heard it, now I'm warming up to it. I don't think this makes us that much less competitive this year. They must have not been 100% on Sammy's health and were probably 100% he wouldn't be here next year. They are all in on next years draft now. As far as EJ Gaines goes. I'm admittly a Mizzou homer but have him seen him play a lot. He's a good CB. Tall, physical, good ball skills and is a tackling machine. He's bigger than Darby, tackles better but isn't quite as athletic. He's a better fit than Darby for the new scheme. Gaines is a good player.

Now this is the sort of reaction we all know and love here. Baghdad Bob lives! (Gaines sucked last year, btw, and he has had a lot of injuries.) :flirt:

Has anyone heard from Kirby or bandit? I'm worried :cry:

I'm here...but I'm pissed.

I'm sick to my stomach. This just confirms my biggest fear about handing the organization to young guys that are the "smartest guys in the room." It has that McDaniels feel to me at the moment. These are terrible trades.

Agree--I'm going to be ill :sick:

All I can really think of is Sammy doesn't fit McDermott's new culture or something.

He seems to want total team first guys, not guys who go to the media asking for at least 10 targets a game?

You can really see what he's looking for in guys like Zay Jones and Tre White. Maybe Sammy doesn't fit that mould... maybe there was something we were not seeing in practice or the locker room.

That's about all I got... man what a painful day today is.

At least this board's love affair with Sammy is over

Why keep TT now? Trade him too like to the Ravens. TT is good enough now to put us at 5-11 and still not high enough to get a QB in the draft

Shady gone too maybe

Why did they bring him back then? Why stop here, why not deal McCoy? Why bring in Boldin? If you want to tank, TANK!! Don't do this bs!!

Sammy is gone at the end of the year, he was never going to sign here. They just tried to get compensation with picks.

I look at it like this - we were probably far apart on contract talks if there was interest at all. That means a franchise tag, or nothing but a comp pick. Comp pick maxes out at the end of the 3rd and we wouldnt get it until 2019. It's maximizing an asset.

Gaines was brought in to allow us to do the darby trade - which brings us a 1year replacement in Matthews, plus a player who may be more likely to sign an extension if he succeeds here.

Bingo!

What part of this is shocking? He has not lived up to his hype or draft status. He has talked money and I feel the Bills knew he was going to price himself out of their range, so get something for him.

We WILL be using both 1st's for a QB next year, you can bet on it now. Look for Bolden to extend his contract soon.

Hated the trade when i heard it, now I'm warming up to it. I don't think this makes us that much less competitive this year. They must have not been 100% on Sammy's health and were probably 100% he wouldn't be here next year. They are all in on next years draft now. As far as EJ Gaines goes. I'm admittly a Mizzou homer but have him seen him play a lot. He's a good CB. Tall, physical, good ball skills and is a tackling machine. He's bigger than Darby, tackles better but isn't quite as athletic. He's a better fit than Darby for the new scheme. Gaines is a good player.

Um, EJ Gaines is not tall (he's 5'10"); he's smaller than Darby. He also has extremely short arms. I don't see how he's a better fit at all.

This seems Vaguely Familiar of Chip Kelly's ego moves with the Eagles very very odd.

There are injury concerns starting to come out on Twitter about Sammy's rehab just now perhaps it comes down to that but my theory is they saw how bad their depth was last night and decided this morning to go right into tank mode.

The Darby trade seems okay, but Watkins for a 6th round draft pick who has had a Lisfranc injury for Watkins does not feel right. If we wanted to trade Watkins, I feel like we could have gotten a better player or more draft picks for him. Timing of trade is odd as we traded Sammy at a point in which his value was lowest. Probably should have waited.

I'm here...but I'm pissed.

Agree--I'm going to be ill :sick:

Hey we can agree on Watkins for once! This is very bad. Worst combo of talent at WR, you can trot scrubs out there that you don't invest in. You have a 2nd rounder and now Matthews who are both to slow to play without an ELITE supporting piece.