Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

I was the biggest homer this board and I have concluded this as well.

They have no gameplan. If you are going to tank, why re-sign TT? How does Kyle Williams feel know?

Does anyone trust this team to pick the right qb? We have a first time head coach and GM picked by the head coach. This team is so @ss backwards.

The Rams must have had to put the phone down from laughing when the Bills offered Sammy for EJ Gaines.

Thats kind of how I feel C. Biscuit. I just don't understand the plan? If you wanted to tank you should have dealt a bunch of guys and not brought TT back. They half did it. That's the worst of all worlds.

You never trade a dollar for 4 quarters in sports. The Bills ABSOLUTLEY did that in the Watkins trade and I don't like the Darby deal either. Matthews, to me, is a solid starting receiver. He's better than Woods but still not great. You traded a potential superstar for a good #2.

The only thing that makes me feel a little better is we got value for a one year rental. That does not offset losing our most talented football player. If he'd stayed healthy this never would have happened. That's life....

Thats kind of how I feel C. Biscuit. I just don't understand the plan? If you wanted to tank you should have dealt a bunch of guys and not brought TT back. They half did it. That's the worst of all worlds.

You never trade a dollar for 4 quarters in sports. The Bills ABSOLUTLEY did that in the Watkins trade and I don't like the Darby deal either. Matthews, to me, is a solid starting receiver. He's better than Woods but still not great. You traded a potential superstar for a good #2.

It wasnt 4 quaters for a dollar we got picks as well.

Bills fans have been saying this about Sammy for 3 years now

So the plan is to tank, according to some, and draft a QB with the picks?

Who the hell is said QB going to throw the ball to? Matthews has a year left on his deal and Boldin is a one year deal.

So bring in a young QB and set him up to fail. Brilliant.

Playoffs likely this year AND the ability to build through the draft. We are well on the way to becoming a team that is competitive on an annual basis. Great moves and great day to be a Bills fan! Can't wait for the season to start. We finally have people in place who know how to run an NFL franchise.

Erasing half of a player's value and THEN trading him is indicative of knowing how to run a franchise?

It wasnt 4 quaters for a dollar we got picks as well.

Bills fans have been saying this about Sammy for 3 years now

And his per target numbers have ranked near the top of the league. If he is healthy and gets the ball he's right there with the top receivers. He supposedly has been healthy all offseason. Throwing him the ball is the easy part.

Maybe TT wrecked his knee last night? The timing don't make any sense.

I didn't see the game so this is just trying to make something of what's going on. Why do you make these trades now? What changed?

Maybe the Rams wanted to see Sammy play ball before pulling the trigger on the trade?

I was surprised they made the moves but I dont hate them. Watkins has trouble staying on the field and the Bills were not going to make him one of the highest paid WR's even if he did have a good season. Darby has not done much after his rookie season. I dont think the Bills got better with Gaines but they did get a guy who can catch the ball in Mathews. Come draft time next year people on here will be dreaming of ways to use all the picks.

Classic case of fans falling in love with their own players. We weren't going to do much this year so simply establishing structure with a new staff and maximizing asset value is the best way to get ourselves out of the cycle of misery. These kind of moves could turn our great with hindsight if we rebuild a good team ala Cowboys trading Walker.

I actually like this move.

There was a good chance the Bills were not going to get Sammy back next year as he would probably command more than they were willing to spend and the franchise tag would be higher than they would want.

They trade him now at the time when teams will pay the most and the Bills cashed in on what may very well turn out to be a top 10 pick in round 2.

We also replaced both positions leaving and I know the talent is not comparable but I love that we now have 2 picks in each of the first 3 rounds.

The Bills now have the tools to do anything they want in the next draft and that includes trading up into the top pick which is what I think they will end up doing.

CBF

• Like (+1) 1

I am shocked people are upset about this!

The Bills were not going anywhere this year. The Watkins risk/reward is a tough chance to take when you have so many needs already, especially at QB. He's an injury risk and nearing the end of his contract, even if we franchise him next year. So getting a second and a player for him makes a ton of sense.

Darby was gross last year and Matthews is a solid WR who's been excellent early in his career. And getting a third also is incredible.

Vision, planning, decisiveness. I really like it.