Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

Right now, it's a bad move IMO. Wasting what is likely Kyle's last year. Maybe not being able to truly evaluate TT in the most important season. Getting rid of star players. Banking on your own ability to do something you have yet to prove you can do under anyone's standard.

TT doesn't need any more evaluation.

He is what he is, and what he isn't is a franchise QB.

Massive failure in what the Bills got in exchange for a elite talent at WR. If he stays healthy...the Bills Got absolutely fleeced. Maybe he doesn't and it looks better, but his career thus far has mirrored Julio Jones'. I wouldn't have let this guy walk for anything less than a first rounder.

You could never get a first rounder for a guy who can't stay on the field, wake up.

Once again, you are incorrect here.

Read this:

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/194793-sammy-to-be-100-ready-to-go-for-training-camp/page-3?do=findComment&comment=4438607

He actually made more of his opportunities than the others on this list.

You're still picking a specific 9 game sample size that supports your opinion and ignoring the rest of his career statistics. The problem is you reached your conclusion and now you're trying to find information to support it.

^Kelly the Dog

I think it's more about professionalism than character. Fine line, but I think the difference is being fit to work in the NFL for the former and just being a "good person" for the latter.

A team wants the guys who are taking care of themselves, going to be available, and then produce while on the field.

These moves hurt all the Vets hopes of reaching the playoffs. I'll be surprised if we win 4 games. The Bills on our roster will not be lookin to play for this organization as hard as they might have prior to these changes. Beane, pack your bags.

People, PLEASE don't tell me you are surprised. Seriously.

For decades the Bills have focused on the secondary more than any other position with first round pick after first round pick as well as free agent signings. Well, this administration went further and traded away their most talented player for a corner. If the Bills had a top 10 quarterback they would probably trade him for a corner. I have been telling you folks this since the day I came on TSW.

I hope that this is not a prelude to leaving WNY because the fans won't put up with this. People watch the Bills and spend their money to see a winner, not to watch cornerbacks.

The Bills are now the most boring team in the NFL, hands down.

Either the Bills were not comfortable signing Sammy long term due to injury concerns. Or they new Sammy was pricing himself out of Buffalo regardless of his health. Its a bit of the Tortoise and the Hare. Would you rather have an elite receiver who plays half the time or a good receiver who plays all of the time?

Edited by Maddog69

^Kelly the Dog

I think it's more about professionalism than character. Fine line, but I think the difference is being fit to work in the NFL for the former and just being a "good person" for the latter.

A team wants the guys who are taking care of themselves, going to be available, and then produce while on the field.

Watkins works very hard. I'm not sure about Darby either way.

You're still picking a specific 9 game sample size that supports your opinion and ignoring the rest of his career statistics. The problem is you reached your conclusion and now you're trying to find information to support it.

No, not at all.

What I've done is compare the entirety of the 2015 season for every receiver; you need to actually read the stuff.

And the reason I focus on the 9-game stretch often is because (as you'd know if you took a second to read) it's the only stretch of his career during which he received anywhere close to the same number of targets as those guys.

It's an issue of opportunity when on the field; not an issue of performance.

For decades the Bills have focused on the secondary more than any other position with first round pick after first round pick as well as free agent signings. Well, this administration went further and traded away their most talented player for a corner. If the Bills had a top 10 quarterback they would probably trade him for a corner. I have been telling you folks this since the day I came on TSW.

I hope that this is not a prelude to leaving WNY because the fans won't put up with this. People watch the Bills and spend their money to see a winner, not to watch cornerbacks.

Wrong time to trot out this argument considering that they also traded a corner for a WR

No, not at all.

What I've done is compare the entirety of the 2015 season for every receiver; you need to actually read the stuff.

And the reason I focus on the 9-game stretch often is because (as you'd know if you took a second to read) it's the only stretch of his career during which he received anywhere close to the same number of targets as those guys.

Wrong time to trot out this argument considering that they also traded a corner for a WR

Sure, defend them. I am not going to fight you my friend.

Oh stop it.

This is utter foolishness.

Watkins works very hard. I'm not sure about Darby either way.

I can't say whether he does or doesn't, but I know that Matthews is available more often. He also seems like more of a leader.

Regardless, I do wonder separately if they'll use Matthews as a returner and if that also opens up a roster spot.

If Sammy stays relatively healthy from here on out it's a TERRIBLE trade. Performance is not the bet. The bet is can he stay healthy. We'll see how it plays out

This may be the worst move I've ever seen the Bills make...and that's saying something. I don't know how to read this except that the Bills have decided to give up already and begin a complete rebuild. It's hard to imagine them not getting far more for Sammy had they simply traded him earlier in the offseason when rosters weren't yet final, or getting there. This is just a new low from a team that I didn't think could sink any lower. Nice they also did this after most people made their call on season tickets. If that doesn't tell you where the organizations priories are I do t know what will.

No, not at all.

More to the point, trades are about the FUTURE, not the past, and Watkins projects as a superstar provided he's healthy. He is 24, and I can't think of one player who was permanently debilitated by the injury he suffered. Matthews projects as 10.5-11.5 ypc JAG playing in the slot.

No, not at all.

Yea, I read and completely understand it, and it appears we just have different perceptions on this and his value.

I was originally upset with this trade and have been a huge Sammy fan, but after considering all of the factors of what he actually brings to this team, what we got in return, and the real possibility he would not have be signed again anyway after this year, I see this trade as a huge positive for a franchise that has consistently struggled. Again, considering all factors with both trades, we are better off now than we were before the trades.

Yea, I read and completely understand it, and it appears we just have different perceptions on this and his value.

I was originally upset with this trade and have been a huge Sammy fan, but after considering all of the factors of what he actually brings to this team, what we got in return, and the real possibility he would not have be signed again anyway after this year, I see this trade as a huge positive for a franchise that has consistently struggled. Again, considering all factors with both trades, we are better off now than we were before the trades.

And again I ask: how so?

I'm pretty sure starting Johnson over flutie is way worse than this. We could've been Superbowl runnerups that year

Flutie wasn't taking the Bills to the Super Bowl. His little pixie hop move was figured out by the rest of the NFL.

^Kelly the Dog

So Sammy is unprofessional because his bones can break? That's a joke.

After a little reflection it's understandable what Beane and Opie are doing, I just don't think it's the right move. They are going way overboard on character and culture to the detriment of talent. You need both. Sammy clearly rubbed them the wrong way and they made a choice that they weren't going to re-sign him. Newsflash, a WR has a big ego and says some questionable things. This was all about making a statement and bringing their own guys in and building a long term team. It may or may not work.

Right now, it's a bad move IMO. Wasting what is likely Kyle's last year. Maybe not being able to truly evaluate TT in the most important season. Getting rid of star players. Banking on your own ability to do something you have yet to prove you can do under anyone's standard.

They are looking for a certain kind of player. I can't really think of a team where that has really worked, meaning we want 53 high character guys and we will jettison better players with less character.

Good post and I agree wholeheartedly.

And while I'm not a TT guy...I think they are putting him and the offense as a whole in a tough spot. This team has no outside threat, and team's will load up on the run and short pass game.

Watkins was an elite talent, and you don't jettison him unless you get a great return.

The Bills got worse today, and now need to draft a playmaking WR again.

I actually like this trade. Watkins wasnt going to resign, and he is always injured. Got 2 first rounders, 2 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders now

I do too.

I remember hearing about Watkins playing b'ball during the offseason somewhere, and that was certainly knucklehead behavior for a guy who was supposed to be one of the most important players on the team. On a way lesser level, it seemed like Cardale Jones was a knucklehead too for seemingly not really put in the time, effort and passion to make himself better. This is all based off of the lives they live through social media.

The new coach seems serious about wanting his players to be seriously "all in" and not take their jobs as Bills players so nonchalantly.

I love this trade! Sammy will struggle with his injured foot all season and rack up maybe 600 yards playing with Goff before walking to the highest bidder. We get another draft chip to angle for our future franchise QB. I'm neutral on the Darby deal, but I see the logic behind it. More than anything, I'm inspired that the new regime has the balls to make what would appear as an unpopular move in the short term for long term success.