Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

Matthews does not suck. Clearly the Bills prefer WR's who stay healthy and produce. Over 800 yards and 65 catches in each of his first 3 years.

You are right, Matthews does not suck. He is a decent slot receiver. Very exciting!

They can trade both 1st's and a 2nd and a 3rd and still have a pick in rounds 2 and 3

CBF

And you think they can find a #1 receiver and another starting CB with those picks?

Let's not also forget Kyle is most certainly retiring after this season. They have holes at LB.

This team is now MASSIVELY talent deficient.

And tell me, when is the last time you were actually happy with a season's worth of on-field production from this "one of two best offensive players"? Go ahead, I'll wait. With Sammy, it has always been about the prospect and potential of what he can do, and aside from a good/great game here and there, it has never been about what he has actually done or contributed to this team.

That's easy: I was really happy when they actually targeted him in the passing game (i.e. the final 9 games of 2015) and he was the most productive WR in the NFL during that time.

If you want to say that he wasn't a fit here because they don't throw the ball enough, fine, I can at least accept that line of logic as being somewhat salient. To say that he hasn't produced when given his opportunities is patently false.

And you think they can find a #1 receiver and another starting CB with those picks?

Let's not also forget Kyle is most certainly retiring after this season. They have holes at LB.

This team is now MASSIVELY talent deficient.

I think they can find starters in rounds 2 and 3 and also address the other needs in free agency as the Bills will have a lot of cap space to work with next year especially if the Bills don't bring back TT

CBF

And tell me, when is the last time you were actually happy with a season's worth of on-field production from this "one of two best offensive players"? Go ahead, I'll wait. With Sammy, it has always been about the prospect and potential of what he can do, and aside from a good/great game here and there, it has never been about what he has actually done or contributed to this team.

Short-sighted. Check back at the end of the season. I bet it is very obvious we got killed in this trade.

For the systems we run Gaines and Matthews are good fits. I'd imagine the difference in production (if there is any) is minimal compared to Sammy and Darby. Throw in the value of the picks and I don't understand why anyone is upset.

I'll ask again.

If they are moving up for a Qb that'll be giving up picks they have acquired. They will draft a young guy who fans will demand start. There won't be patience. Who the heck is this young QB going to throw to? Shady will be a year older, Cog will be a year older. Wood is probably gone.

This seems like a plan to set up a young QB to fail.

The parts around a QB are MUCH easier to come by than the actual QB. That said, no guarantees you guess right on the QB, but that's the heart of a team. Without a QB there is little to no hope.

For the systems we run Gaines and Matthews are good fits. I'd imagine the difference in production (if there is any) is minimal compared to Sammy and Darby. Throw in the value of the picks and I don't understand why anyone is upset.

Can someone that's watched Gaines explain why a short-armed, small-bodied CB is a good fit? I really hope it's not just because he can tackle.

I think they can find starters in rounds 2 and 3 and also address the other needs in free agency as the Bills will have a lot of cap space to work with next year especially if the Bills don't bring back TT

CBF

Well you have more faith than I do.

It's not like Sammy played for us anyway. He's missed 13 games over the last couple of years (and had nagging injuries in many he played which limited him). Matthews, hopefully, will at least be on the field. He's been fairly productive too. Darby? I won't miss him. Did the Bills send fire extinguishers to Philly, because he will continue to get burned there too. I think Gaines is guy who will fit our D scheme better. I'm good w/ all this...plus draft picks!

Thank you. Sounds OK to me, although it'd be nice to have a deep threat too. That's the best part of TT's passing game.

Maybe they'll make a blockbuster trade for Goodwin next

It's not like Sammy played for us anyway. He's missed 13 games over the last couple of years (and had nagging injuries in many he played which limited him). Matthews, hopefully, will at least be on the field. He's been fairly productive too. Darby? I won't miss him. Did the Bills send fire extinguishers to Philly, because he will continue to get burned there too. I think Gaines is guy who will fit our D scheme better. I'm good w/ all this...plus draft picks!

:lol:

Not like he played because he missed 13 of 48 games--does that not mean that he played in 35 of 48 games? Which is more--13 or 35?

Do we look to extend him right now then? Same thing with Gaines?

We already decided not to extend Watkins. So lets see what he does in this system. The system appears to be predicated on less huge yardage plays and more air and ground ball control. More Pats***, less Saints type system. Bolden and Matthews and Zay is a great lineup, and they generally stay healthy.

That's easy: I was really happy when they actually targeted him in the passing game (i.e. the final 9 games of 2015) and he was the most productive WR in the NFL during that time.

If you want to say that he wasn't a fit here because they don't throw the ball enough, fine, I can at least accept that line of logic as being somewhat salient. To say that he hasn't produced when given his opportunities is patently false.

9 games? So the other 39 games of his tenure when he wasn't on the field at all, or wasn't producing at all, were the fault of someone else or the play calling I bet? I ask you for a season you were happy with him and you pick out half a season. Mike Williams also had a ton of potential. Do you wish the Bills were still paying him and waiting for him to get it together? Trent Edwards had a few good games, should he be given a shot to be our QB?

Can someone that's watched Gaines explain why a short-armed, small-bodied CB is a good fit? I really hope it's not just because he can tackle.

IF healthy, there will not be a drop-off between him and Darby in a zone scheme. Read this...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2264750-rams-cornerback-ej-gaines-proving-to-be-one-of-2014-nfl-drafts-early-steals

9 games? So the other 39 games of his tenure when he wasn't on the field at all, or wasn't producing at all, were the fault of someone else or the play calling I bet? I ask you for a season you were happy with him and you pick out half a season. Mike Williams also had a ton of potential. Do you wish the Bills were still paying him and waiting for him to get it together? Trent Edwards had a few good games, should he be given a shot to be our QB?

That you're confused is a result of lack of consideration of context. He can't produce if they don't throw the ball to him.

As I said, and maintain: If you want to say that he wasn't a fit here because they don't throw the ball enough, fine, I can at least accept that line of logic as being somewhat salient. To say that he hasn't produced when given his opportunities is patently false.

well put!

This feels like Josh McDaniels first job all over again. He came in as the smartest guy in the room. He had to fail before he succeeded. We have McDaniels all over.

That's been my worry since it became clear that we were giving him so much control. Could be great but could just as easily take years to recover from. Hope for the best I guess!

That's been my worry since it became clear that we were giving him so much control. Could be great but could just as easily take years to recover from. Hope for the best I guess!

Think we had too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak, over the past few regimes. I like that this new one has a unified vision. Could go badly, but could just as easily go well.

That you're confused is a result of lack of consideration of context. He can't produce if they don't throw the ball to him.

As I said, and maintain: If you want to say that he wasn't a fit here because they don't throw the ball enough, fine, I can at least accept that line of logic as being somewhat salient. To say that he hasn't produced when given his opportunities is patently false.

Did he make the most of his opportunities? Elite receivers in the NFL have catch rates in the mid to high 70% range while good receivers, like the ones you would pick for your fantasy team most likely, are well into the 60% range. Sammy barely snuck into the 60s in 2015, he barely broke into the 50% range his other two years.