Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

Classic case of fans falling in love with their own players. We weren't going to do much this year so simply establishing structure with a new staff and maximizing asset value is the best way to get ourselves out of the cycle of misery. These kind of moves could turn our great with hindsight if we rebuild a good team ala Cowboys trading Walker.

How did making Sammy more expensive to the Rams by having failed to pick up his option maximize his value?

Vic C was just on Sirius. Interestingly, he alluded to the type of mentality/character player McD wanted and it didn't sound like he thought McD was thrilled with either of them in that respect. I think Sammy was more to get something instead of potentially nothing after this year (although Vic said he thought Sammy's recent $$$ comments probably made McD "cringe"), I think Darby might have been more personality TBH. It's not like he has ever exuded the type of leadership/confidence McD cherishes so much (See Gilmore, Stephon).

When Lofton said they basically have 3 slot receivers and no deep threat, Vic said that is correct, and the brass is fine with that. Dennison wants to run more of a 'horizontal' passing game, and the offense will be based on the running game and grind it out short passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

The people who are upset likely own a Sammy jersey or just loved watching him play because of how exciting he can be. Fortunately Beane appears to not care what we think as fans. Guess what. He was hired to run this business and make it successful, and he is running that business the way he sees fit and the way that will get it to be a consistent success. Thankfully he is not trying to appease the fans and make them feel good about their emotional connection to players.

I actually like this move.

There was a good chance the Bills were not going to get Sammy back next year as he would probably command more than they were willing to spend and the franchise tag would be higher than they would want.

They trade him now at the time when teams will pay the most and the Bills cashed in on what may very well turn out to be a top 10 pick in round 2.

We also replaced both positions leaving and I know the talent is not comparable but I love that we now have 2 picks in each of the first 3 rounds.

The Bills now have the tools to do anything they want in the next draft and that includes trading up into the top pick which is what I think they will end up doing.

CBF

I'll ask again.

If they are moving up for a Qb that'll be giving up picks they have acquired. They will draft a young guy who fans will demand start. There won't be patience. Who the heck is this young QB going to throw to? Shady will be a year older, Cog will be a year older. Wood is probably gone.

This seems like a plan to set up a young QB to fail.

Apologies if posted:

NFL Draft Profile

OVERVIEW
Cornerback-running back who also played basketball and ran track as a Missouri prep. Played in 13 games as a true freshman in 2010 and recorded 26 tackles, one pass breakup and no interceptions as a special-teams player and reserve defensive back. Took over as a starting cornerback in 2011 and tallied 69 tackles, 16 pass breakups and two INTs with three tackles for loss and one forced fumble. The combined 18 passes defended set a Mizzou record and ranked fourth in the NCAA. Returned nine punts for 98 yards (10.9-yard average) and one touchdown, a 44-yard scamper against Western Illinois. In 2012, he totaled 74 tackles, 11 pass breakups and one INT with seven tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. Scored on a 13-yard fumble recovery against Kentucky. In 2013, recorded 75 tackles, three pass breakups and five INTs with four tackles for loss. In the SEC championship game against Auburn, he had an 11-yard fumble recovery for a TD. Missed two games with a quad strain. Team captain. Bench pressed at the combine but was medically excluded otherwise (pelvis).
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Good muscularity and thin ankles. Fills aggressively and supports the run. Likes to hit. Plays with confidence and carries a swagger. Good attitude and football demeanor. Competes hard and brings energy to the field. Good eyes and route recognition. Has experience matching up with slot receivers in nickel coverage and has returned punts. Very good career production on the ball. Proven special teams coverage defender.
WEAKNESSES Is short and short-armed. Plays a lot into the boundary. Shows some tightness in his hips. Average transitional quickness -- lacks ideal burst and acceleration to recover and close ground. Can do a better job disengaging from blocks. Most of interception production stemmed from tips and overthrown balls (not created). Average hands.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4-5
BOTTOM LINE Strong, physical zone corner with the toughness, awareness and football IQ to function highly in short spaces. A solid tackler, Gaines plays bigger than his size and takes a professional approach. Can make an immediate impact on special teams and work his way into a lineup.

The Darby trade seems okay, but Watkins for a 6th round draft pick who has had a Lisfranc injury for Watkins does not feel right. If we wanted to trade Watkins, I feel like we could have gotten a better player or more draft picks for him. Timing of trade is odd as we traded Sammy at a point in which his value was lowest. Probably should have waited.

How do you figure his value is at its lowest?

He played caught a few balls and was not injured. I do not think Sammy's trade value gets much higher. There is a good chance he gets hurt in the next couple of games and then you get nothing.

Not that I think the trade is good, but I do not hate it. They traded players to get replacement players and high picks. I think Matthews is a better fit for the offense that we are running than Sammy, but I hate the drops. We will see how it goes. Darby going to Gaines is a step down, but additional picks help.

I am shocked people are upset about this!

The Bills were not going anywhere this year. The Watkins risk/reward is a tough chance to take when you have so many needs already, especially at QB. He's an injury risk and nearing the end of his contract, even if we franchise him next year. So getting a second and a player for him makes a ton of sense.

Darby was gross last year and Matthews is a solid WR who's been excellent early in his career. And getting a third also is incredible.

Vision, planning, decisiveness. I really like it.

At least a few people get it.

I'm fine going for draft picks, but if that's the plan we better make some cuts to maximize comp picks.

Assuming we get a comp 3rd for Gilmore, I guess a 2nd / 2 3rds / Gaines / Matthews is about the best we could hope for in losing Gilmore / Watkins / Darby, but man, that's A LOT of talent walking out the building.

Vic C was just on Sirius. Interestingly, he alluded to the type of mentality/character player McD wanted and it didn't sound like he thought McD was thrilled with either of them in that respect. I think Sammy was more to get something instead of potentially nothing after this year (although Vic said he thought Sammy's recent $$$ comments probably made McD "cringe"), I think Darby might have been more personality TBH. It's not like he has ever exuded the type of leadership/confidence McD cherishes so much (See Gilmore, Stephon).

When Lofton said they basically have 3 slot receivers and no deep threat, Vic said that is correct, and the brass is fine with that. Dennison wants to run more of a 'horizontal' passing game, and the offense will be based on the running game and grind it out short passing game.

Thanks for the info. That confirms what I thought. This is not a tank move. It is extremely shocking but they are still trying to win now.

I feel like, although not a burner, Matthews is at least somewhat of a deep threat.

The people who are upset likely own a Sammy jersey or just loved watching him play because of how exciting he can be. Fortunately Beane appears to not care what we think as fans. Guess what. He was hired to run this business and make it successful, and he is running that business the way he sees fit and the way that will get it to be a consistent success. Thankfully he is not trying to appease the fans and make them feel good about their emotional connection to players.

Nope.

The folks that are upset realize that it's a terrible decision to trade away one of your two best offensive players when that player also happens to be under 25 years old.

That's what I said earlier...it makes sense if you view it from that perspective.

Thank you. Sounds OK to me, although it'd be nice to have a deep threat too. That's the best part of TT's passing game.

Apologies if posted:

NFL Draft Profile

OVERVIEW
Cornerback-running back who also played basketball and ran track as a Missouri prep. Played in 13 games as a true freshman in 2010 and recorded 26 tackles, one pass breakup and no interceptions as a special-teams player and reserve defensive back. Took over as a starting cornerback in 2011 and tallied 69 tackles, 16 pass breakups and two INTs with three tackles for loss and one forced fumble. The combined 18 passes defended set a Mizzou record and ranked fourth in the NCAA. Returned nine punts for 98 yards (10.9-yard average) and one touchdown, a 44-yard scamper against Western Illinois. In 2012, he totaled 74 tackles, 11 pass breakups and one INT with seven tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. Scored on a 13-yard fumble recovery against Kentucky. In 2013, recorded 75 tackles, three pass breakups and five INTs with four tackles for loss. In the SEC championship game against Auburn, he had an 11-yard fumble recovery for a TD. Missed two games with a quad strain. Team captain. Bench pressed at the combine but was medically excluded otherwise (pelvis).
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Good muscularity and thin ankles. Fills aggressively and supports the run. Likes to hit. Plays with confidence and carries a swagger. Good attitude and football demeanor. Competes hard and brings energy to the field. Good eyes and route recognition. Has experience matching up with slot receivers in nickel coverage and has returned punts. Very good career production on the ball. Proven special teams coverage defender.
WEAKNESSES Is short and short-armed. Plays a lot into the boundary. Shows some tightness in his hips. Average transitional quickness -- lacks ideal burst and acceleration to recover and close ground. Can do a better job disengaging from blocks. Most of interception production stemmed from tips and overthrown balls (not created). Average hands.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4-5
BOTTOM LINE Strong, physical zone corner with the toughness, awareness and football IQ to function highly in short spaces. A solid tackler, Gaines plays bigger than his size and takes a professional approach. Can make an immediate impact on special teams and work his way into a lineup.

edge-wwe.gif

I'll ask again.

If they are moving up for a Qb that'll be giving up picks they have acquired. They will draft a young guy who fans will demand start. There won't be patience. Who the heck is this young QB going to throw to? Shady will be a year older, Cog will be a year older. Wood is probably gone.

The Bills can trade up and still have picks in rounds 2 and 3..not to mention there is also free agency

CBF

Well Bolden is more important now. Don't have to worry if Sammy was going to get hurt again. Darby we have to see if he can rebound from poor season he had last year. The trades can't hurt plus draft choices. Only deficit if Sammy stays healthy and has a pro bowl season.

I'll ask again.

Just roll with Tyrod again...

The Bills can trade up and still have picks in rounds 2 and 3..not to mention there is also free agency

CBF

You think the 2 firsts are going to be enough to get where the Bills need to get for one of the QBs? The Jets/9ers are still worse teams and they be in the market. That's if said QBs even come out.

This is all assuming these QBs look good again.

Well Bolden is more important now. Don't have to worry if Sammy was going to get hurt again. Darby we have to see if he can rebound from poor season he had last year. The trades can't hurt plus draft choices. Only deficit if Sammy stays healthy and has a pro bowl season.

Then Sammy can face Matthews and McCoy in the Pro Bowl :)

You think the 2 firsts are going to be enough to get where the Bills need to get for one of the QBs? The Jets/9ers are still worse teams and they be in the market. That's if said QBs even come out.

This is all assuming these QBs look good again.

They can trade both 1st's and a 2nd and a 3rd and still have a pick in rounds 2 and 3

CBF

Nope.

The folks that are upset realize that it's a terrible decision to trade away one of your two best offensive players when that player also happens to be under 25 years old.

And tell me, when is the last time you were actually happy with a season's worth of on-field production from this "one of two best offensive players"? Go ahead, I'll wait. With Sammy, it has always been about the prospect and potential of what he can do, and aside from a good/great game here and there, it has never been about what he has actually done or contributed to this team.

Let's be honest here... while Watkins is a stud the production hasn't been there due to injury and it's a sign the Bills weren't going to pay him in the offseason so might as well get rid of him now. Darby is confusing but was lost last year and with the new trade not needed. Glad they got Mathews though. Solid WR.

Thank you...I feel better now...seriously. :thumbsup:

Matthews does not suck. Clearly the Bills prefer WR's who stay healthy and produce. Over 800 yards and 65 catches in each of his first 3 years.

Do we look to extend him right now then? Same thing with Gaines?