NFL looking into an 18-game season and having the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend.

Gregg

uSTADIUM on X: "Roger Goodell said on the McAfee Show that the #NFL is looking into an 18 game regular season and having the #SuperBowl fall during President’s Day Weekend … so most will have off that following Monday 😍😍 (🎥 @patmcafeeshow) https://t.co/59UZDivO6G" / X (twitter.com)

Makes sense. A 17-game season is dumb with the AFC and NFC alternating between 8 and 9 home games every other year. I would also add they should reduce the preseason to 2 games at most. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I always hated the Sunday night Super Bowl when I worked the next day.  An answer to that is not a bad thing. 

2 minutes ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

They should just make it a 20 week season with 18 games and 2 bye weeks. 

And just one pre-season game with a running clock. It used to be almost as long as the season, and it’s STILL too much. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm cool with that, but I'd rather they find a way to fix playoffs & get it back to top 2 seeds getting a bye in each conference.

Don't care how they have to do it, cut teams, add teams, whatever, but it's annoying that only the 1 seed gets much benefit. Under the pre-2020 rules, the Bills would've had a 1st round bye twice already.

Sorry, just whining about something that'll likely never change 😅

• Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Who exactly is clamoring for more regular season football? It's too long as it is. I don't want to watch playoff games where the best players are out due to the grind of the season.

Then don’t watch. Problem solved.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

Goodell is awful. We don't need 18 games and we don't need more international games. A President's Day weekend Super Bowl would be cool, though. 17 games is great. We don't need more. Goodell is horrible 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

uSTADIUM on X: "Roger Goodell said on the McAfee Show that the #NFL is looking into an 18 game regular season and having the #SuperBowl fall during President’s Day Weekend … so most will have off that following Monday 😍😍 (🎥 @patmcafeeshow) https://t.co/59UZDivO6G" / X (twitter.com)

Makes sense. A 17-game season is dumb with the AFC and NFC alternating between 8 and 9 home games every other year. I would also add they should reduce the preseason to 2 games at most. 

God, that would be awful for the players.  At some point, will the NFLPA "cowboy up" and actually represent their interests?

• Like (+1) 1

Of course they are, 17 games was merely a stepping stone to 18 games.  
    In the future the League will start the push towards twenty games, it’s all about more billions after all…, 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

God, that would be awful for the players.  At some point, will the NFLPA "cowboy up" and actually represent their interests?

I would guess two bye weeks would be included as well as reducing the preseason games. There was nothing wrong with the 16-game season. 

• Like (+1) 2

It’s for this reason that I was most in favor of having a retractable roof or a clear cover ala SoFi and the new Bears concept. February games at open-air Highmark will be as brutal on us as it will be for an opponent.

(To say nothing about it’ll be brutal on the concrete, paint, seats, and stadium amenities).

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Goodell is awful. We don't need 18 games and we don't need more international games. A President's Day weekend Super Bowl would be cool, though. 17 games is great. We don't need more. Goodell is horrible 

17 games isn't great. Alternating between the conferences with 8 vs 9 home games every year dumb. Should have stayed at 16. I agree with you on the international games, but they are here to stay as the league wants to grow the game outside of America,

• Like (+1) 1

I've heard this has been their plan for awhile which is why I was surprised they didn't just add a second bye week. At this point I'd say: 2 preseason game, 18 games and a bye week.

If they wanted to start the weekend before Labor Day instead of the weekend after you could add another buy week and your season openers would have the following day off

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

The only benefit to an 17-game seasons is that, absent a rare tie, teams have to end up with a winning season 9-7 or better or a losing season 7-9 or worse.  I always hated teams finishing 8-8.  Just a personal thing.  Did you have a winning season or not?  18 games is too much - it's too hard on the players' bodies and the season is LONG ENOUGH.  I'm a football junkie and I don't need more of the drug.  Even I get worn out by the end of the season and look forward to some open weekends after football ends.  Of course, I'm a fan of a major college team, so I watch football Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  It's too much.

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Who has off from work on Presidents Day in this era other then maybe banks?

48 minutes ago, Gregg said:

17 games isn't great. Alternating between the conferences with 8 vs 9 home games every year dumb. Should have stayed at 16. I agree with you on the international games, but they are here to stay as the league wants to grow the game outside of America,

I don't mind the 8 and 9 flip flop thing. I just feel like 18 games is too many

Pre season games matter.  I remember being at the one where Fred Jackson made his name known in the second half. They simply ran him like 7 or 8 plays in a row on down the field and the rest was history.  At least 2 games imo.

And how to cut so many players after 2 games?  And injuries over the season.  If 18 games then also increase team size to reduce preseason cuts and increase distribution of injuries and such. Though increasing team size so teams can not play their best every down would also decrease quality of NFL.  

16 games and no more Europe or slatam.

Edit - and only gov't, banks and teachers have president's day off.  A lot of people but not most.

Edited by sleeby

If they are going to stretch the season to more real games, which I like, they need to put in two stipulations: they need two bye weeks and they need to make the Thursday night game teams be two teams coming off a bye. I would be surprised if the extra game does not happen especially since the time line would be perfect from Labor Day to Presidents day. 

Players are paid very well, obviously. But why does the NFLPA have no issues with more games? Are the players paid more? I don't think so, right?

16 games, 2 bye weeks. At least if it's 18 games, make it 2 bye weeks.