1 minute ago, turbo044 said:

how about:

Odell Beckham UFA

If Thomas falls to late teens, trade #28 + our 2025 2nd to grab him

or

Odell Beckham UFA

#28 Ladd McConkey

Trade #60+ a 2025 3rd to low/mid 40s and grab Franklin, Legette or Polk

I'd rather have Michael Thomas than Odell but honestly both are probably better as #3 WRs at this point in their careers.

3 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Diggs was a great receiver for the Bills and it's no coincidence that Josh's career took off with his arrival. 

It's disappointing to see so many Bills fans turn on diggs 

screw diggs, seriously, he quit on the bills, good riddance loser. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Why trade him in the conference?

If Houston goes & beats us & wins the Superbowl I'm not going to be happy. 

Im going to go out on a limb and say that’s the best offer they received. Never going to understand why fans get upset trading a player to a conference or division rival. If it’s the best offer you take it. 

10 minutes ago, boyst said:

The more I sit here the more I am happy riding out the WR with a pick at 28. Draft OL, DL, LB, and S... Retool this year.

Next year in a healthy cap, 2 picks inside 40, another at 55-65ish we can move up if we want or draft 2 more WRs and more firepower.

Stay at 28. For the love of God. 

there was about a zero chance of Beane staying at 28 before this trade

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Bean's grade on the trade is "incomplete".  Let's see how it all turns out but I have a sneaky suspicion that a year from now Bills fans will be very happy with what down today.

Not all. There will be some chuckleheads who’ll stand their ground even if this trade proves otherwise. 

And you know who they are. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, turbo044 said:

how about:

Odell Beckham UFA

If Thomas falls to late teens, trade #28 + our 2025 2nd to grab him

or

Odell Beckham UFA

#28 Ladd McConkey

Trade #60+ a 2025 3rd to low/mid 40s and grab Franklin, Legette or Polk

No thank you on beckham.

no more old players and especially old players with enormous ego's.  

• Agree 1

B.  Trading for a likely late 2nd in next year’s draft and trading away some late round assets is essentially like getting a late 3rd/early 4th in this year’s draft for Diggs.  With his cost and age, we weren’t going to get much more, and this is very similar to what Keenan Allen went for.

I also am expecting that Beane will flip at least some picks from next year’s draft now, in order to move up and get the WR he’s coveting in this year’s draft.  So I don’t believe for a second this move isn’t going to help the team this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

I've waited to post on this until I could find some positive spin, but I just can't. The Bills WR room, right now, consists of the 3rd option on the last-place 2023 Washington Commanders and a 5th-round slot receiver. That's it. The Buffalo Bills currently have ZERO elite weapons on offense.

Kincaid in year 2? The league leader in catch % per target who was also 11th in ypc?

Edited by Charles Romes

I’m so confused … everyone in this forum told me he was untradeable!  How could such a collection of brain power be wrong? 😂 … I guessed the old adage is true:  where there’s smoke, there’s fire.  WR room looks a little weak now, where’s Kelvin Benjamin and Robert Foster when ya need em?

I've waited to post on this until I could find some positive spin, but I just can't. The Bills WR room, right now, consists of the 3rd option on the last-place 2023 Washington Commanders and a 5th-round slot receiver. That's it. The Buffalo Bills currently have ZERO elite weapons on offense.

I think Cooks and Kincaid are above average. Diggs isn't elite at least last we saw him he wasn't.

The new NFL model if you pay the QB at a top 5 player you can't pay a WR as top 5 player. Or pay your WR top 5 have a QB on a rookie contract.  

KC, LAC and Buffalo decided their QB's can raise the level of their receiving weapons. Houston, Indy Chicago, and Minnesota are paying WR's and will  have QB's on rookie deals. One or the other.

Just now, strive_for_five_guy said:

B.  Trading for a likely late 2nd in next year’s draft and trading away some late round assets is essentially like getting a late 3rd/early 4th in this year’s draft for Diggs.  With his cost and age, we weren’t going to get much more, and this is very similar to what Keenan Allen went for.

I also am expecting that Beane will flip at least some picks from next year’s draft now, in order to move up and get the WR he’s coveting in this year’s draft.  So I don’t believe for a second this move isn’t going to help the team this year.

Agreed.  Look I doubt Beane takes a dump without a plan, so he had something in mind before he pulled the trigger. Odds are he has talked to a couple teams already and has a deal in place if the WR he wants is there.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Did NOT see this coming.

Says it's for a 2025 2nd round pick, which if I understand the draft value pundits, is considered to be de-valued by a round (eg equivalent to a 3rd round pick this season)

I don't think it's enough compensation, but we'll see. 

I would predict him to do a Jerry Hughes - play well and have a resurgence this season, then fall off a cliff.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So for this off-season we have moved on from:

Diggs

Davis

Morse

Poyer

Hyde

White

All "cornerstones" of a team that couldn't get past Kansas City when it counted. All have been either Pro Bowl or All Pro. Each one a team captain. I can respect the effort and everything those guys brought to Buffalo but in the end it just wasn't enough and I think Beane and McDermott recognized that 

Calling this anything other than a year where we rebuild and hope to stay competitive is foolish. Many moves we have made focus on gaining cap space for next season. And we really don't have that many free agents to re-sign. 

My bet is they are gearing up to make a TON of big moves next year and build excitement heading with the new stadium on the horizon. I don't expect any major move up the draft board.

Let's see how the plan plays out.

Sounds good, but those players were part of the process in the Trust the process.   So, the same Staff who bring them in this process will bring some others players and tell us to trust the new process again?  I will be there and i will root, but sincerely, i dont know what's this process now. I guess it's a kind of -we'll try to be competitive and who knows if we could be lucky? - and nothing more than that.

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Diggs was a great receiver for the Bills and it's no coincidence that Josh's career took off with his arrival. 

It's disappointing to see so many Bills fans turn on diggs 

I see it more as a football business move.  Clearing his cap hits going forward as he ages will benefit the team.

Beane is now in the position to just dump Von Miller at the start of next year.

It's all about what Beane can do with the WR room the next 2 drafts and next years FA.

I liked Diggs but even I was starting to not care for the drama he was starting.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Again, though, for those of you saying "Beane has a plan" - if he had a "plan" why didn't it involve targeting more WRs in LAST YEAR'S draft than Justin Shorter?  Now they're scrambling to fill a hole that should've been addressed already.

I don’t hate the trade, and I think Beane did a brilliant job turning us into contenders. However, I’m starting to see Beane and McD display some of the traits that ended Beane’s tenure in Carolina. Beane is team building the same way he did in Carolina, and it didn’t end great. I worry he’s repeating the same mistakes. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

What a joke. The best receiver we’ve had in 20 years and away he goes. Pathetic. Looks like more of a step back this season than I thought. 

Well, it’s a good thing that Josh has Curtis Samuel, who has never hit close to a top tier WR and aside from Shakir’s one year improvement the following is a the WR room:  Mack Hollins, Justin Shorter, KJ Hamler, Andy Isabella, Tyrell Shavers and Bryan Thompson.  Diggs had those declines but what if we’d gotten him a quality X to play off, thought this was the year and Samuel isn’t that guy—Washington let him go with McLaurin.  Kincaid was a good first step we’ll see what’s next.

Andy Reid made KC able to win with those WRs—McDermott?  Liked Brady but a year OC isn’t going to make mediocre WRs into SB winners.

I was a really big Beane fan and still hold out hope I’m just freaking out, but watching the way he has left a generational quarterback with without at least a 2nd top quality (2nd or 3rd tier) WR and then a totally mediocre group of receivers is just baffling. Worse than what GB did to Rodgers without Davante.  

Edited by biggerdaddynj
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Stop being sooooooooooo friggin dramatic, dude..........we've got Cooks and Kincaid and we're going to replace Diggs.

Need a tissue?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

feels like we've done this backwards.

Year 6-7 of Josh Allen, you'd like to be making a trade for a #1 wr to win now. Wish we could turn back the clock & simply draft Justin Jefferson, who everyone had mocked to us. This almost feels like thats what Beane is doing here, trying to go back to draft his Justin Jefferson. Just remains to be seen if the guy we draft can live up to that. Bold bold move by Beane.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I’m not sorry to see Diggs go. He’s totally self focused, not team focused. He will be rejuvenated in Houston for the first season or two, as he will be driven by perceived slights by Buffalo.  Be ready for Digg’s negative cryptic shots at Josh Allen & all things Buffalo over the next 6 months. 

Unless Houston wins a Super Bowl AND. he is given credit for it, expect Diggs to return to negative, cryptic Diggs for Houston in a couple years.

We really need a great WR & S through drafting or trades, but I expect a breath of fresh air in Buffalo and a whole lot less egg shells in the locker room to step around. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Charles Romes said:

there was about a zero chance of Beane staying at 28 before this trade

It feels like Sammy Watkins all over again. As we moved SJ13 that off-season and added Watkins and Mike Williams. Needless to say it took for us to trade for Diggs before we ever got a WR1 back.

• Haha (+1) 1

Cook was 4th in the league in rushing... and they spent a 1st round pick on a move TE. 

Josh allen is - im going to say... a little better than sam howell. 

The best WR in the 2023 rookie class was... a 5th round slot WR.  

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Again, though, for those of you saying "Beane has a plan" - if he had a "plan" why didn't it involve targeting more WRs in LAST YEAR'S draft than Justin Shorter?  Now they're scrambling to fill a hole that should've been addressed already.

i agree, the plan was not to trade Diggs. But if Josh said" that's enough, cant take the ***** anymore from this dude"..then he gots to go. Josh way more important than 14

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Would have preferred some bad team like Carolina or NE but he had to go, and they got what they could.

I fully expect a big trade up in the draft this year. They have the ammo and the need. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsMontreal said:

Sounds good, but those players were part of the process in the Trust the process.   So, the same Staff who bring them in this process will bring some others players and tell us to trust the new process again?  I will be there and i will root, but sincerely, i dont know what's this process now. I guess it's a kind of -we'll try to be competitive and who knows if we could be lucky? - and nothing more than that.

Congratulations. You just figured out what playoff football is all about. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

I think Cooks and Kincaid are above average. Diggs isn't elite at least last we saw him he wasn't.

Above average doesn't cut it. Mahomes has Kelce, the best pass catcher in the NFL. Burrow has Chase and maybe still Higgins. Josh Allen lost over 1,900 yards of production in a single offseason. I'm just sick over this. Beane had better have a plan because right now this looks like a 9-8 team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Horrible trade that does nothing to help the team this year. Basically they saying 2024 is a wash year

Well, it depends on what Diggs has left in the tank and what he does for the Texans.  If he continues to be held in check by the league's good corners like he was the second half of last season, then we may feel like this was a great deal as it frees up cap to help get the team on track for the second half of Allen's career.  We definitely need to get a primary receiver now, so we know what Beane is thinking.

Edited by Murdox

Remember how Diggs started to catch some passes out of the backfield last year and he even started taking some handoffs. I can see 

Samuel stepping into that role expanded like when Brady had him in Carolina 2020. He could be in for a big year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Wow!! Just saw this online and came here.

First thing for me is that I said again and again that it wouldn't happen, that there were way too many negatives for the Bills to cut him. But also that trading was at least possible, but really unlikely, unless he forced his way out.

So, first, I was wrong. I did put in the caveat, but I just didn't think it would happen. So, how wrong I was isn't possible to say exactly yet, but wrong. Significantly wrong.

Second, I have to fight my confirmation bias. Because I added the caveat, I have to fight an automatic belief that I know why this happened, that he did force his way out. I will try, for that reason, not to comment too much on the reasons it happened. My opinion is compromised.

It still seems like the most likely reason for this. But perhaps it wasn't quite that he forced his way out, but that it just began to look like if we kept going with him, it was going to become uncomfortable.

Just hear Anthony Prohaska from Cover1 say this, "Because of the financial implications, you don't make a move like this unless it's absolutely necessary from a roster perspective. from a team perspective, from a culture perspective."

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lK64gxxwMU

He continued, "The Bills right now, without Stefon Diggs on the field, are not a better football team than they were in 2023. Even a diminished version of Stefon Diggs is still a very very very good football player, and as we talked about, early in the season he was on a historic pace, another record-setting year for a #1 WR who had previous record-setting years here."

And, "No matter how you slice it, the Bills are not a better football team for moving Stefon Diggs, jettisoning him to the Houston Texans. And especially considering what they got back in that package, also having to give some picks themselves, it really just seems like a 'we've gotta get rid of this guy' kind of move, even though schematically and on the field it hurts you, in addition to the financial implications."

Yeah, that. Jettisoning appears to be the right word. Jeez. And I'm so depressed that that second rounder is from 2025, although I've seen at least one source say it was 2024. But nearly everyone says 2025. Man, depressing.

They have taken a major step back for this year.

I think C1 is just trying to cover their own takes with this. They said that restructuring Diggs was a must do move this season. 

The Bills needed to get younger and were never going to take the nearly $30M per year cap hit for Diggs for the length of his contract. Most assumed he would not finish his career in Buffalo. I thought he could move on this year but by next season (2025) Diggs would not be a Bill. 

The cap ramifications for keeping Diggs long term were always much much greater than moving on from him. 

Right now Spotrac is showing that we cleared $27M 2025 dollars with this move and it only cost us an additional $3M this year to do so. 

• Like (+1) 1