Damar Hamlin: Would be a “dream” to play for the Steelers

SCBills

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I’m good with this!

His is a great story and wish him nothing but the best—it’s just easy to wonder if the Bills brought him back this year based on his remarkable recovery and national press, more so than actual skills—given how often he was a healthy scratch, etc.?

He is still under contract. 

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I’m good with this!

His is a great story and wish him nothing but the best—it’s just easy to wonder if the Bills brought him back this year based on his remarkable recovery and national press, more so than actual skills—given how often he was a healthy scratch, etc.?

I mean, he was a 4/5 safety after starting most of the year prior. He has enough talent to be in that role. They signed Rapp to be the first safety off the bench and Cam Lewis has more versatility. I think there was maybe a small PR component to it, but it’s not like Hamlin was some make a wish kid. He is a legit NFL player 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I agree with you that he's on the bubble and he probably knows that.

I don't have a problem with it. It's his hometown team. Doesn't every player want to play for the team he grew up rooting for?

Yea, I’d be curious to see the context of the quote fleshed out more but I assume it was simply a poorly phrased or poorly framed variation of “I grew up watching those guys, of course it’d be cool to wear the hometown jersey” 

every single guy here would think it’d be cool to play in Buffalo even if drafted elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Yeah, it's the exact same thing. A dude under contract basically saying he'd be happier elsewhere versus a dude trying to stay relevant, who's been retired for 5 years no less, that never played here saying that. Good reference.

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I mean, he was a 4/5 safety after starting most of the year prior. He has enough talent to be in that role. They signed Rapp to be the first safety off the bench and Cam Lewis has more versatility. I think there was maybe a small PR component to it, but it’s not like Hamlin was some make a wish kid. He is a legit NFL player 

Yup

hes not the answer but he’s acceptable depth. Or at least was, I have no idea where he’s at today really

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

But it’s not just a game. Players are employees of the team.

Just because their job is a game doesn’t mean it’s any less of a job.

If an executive at Wegmans was publically talking about how much he wanted to be at Tops, he wouldn’t be around for wrong.

Literally nobody wants to work at Tops 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Yeah, it's the exact same thing. A dude under contract basically saying he'd be happier elsewhere versus a dude trying to stay relevant, who's been retired for 5 years no less, that never played here saying that. Good reference.

Do you think there aren’t 50 or so guys on the roster that grew up fans of various non-bills teams? They’d all get a kick out of wearing the gear from the team that hey pretended to be winning the Super Bowl for on the playground 

I know it’s better left unsaid but your wife checks out other guys too. It’ll all be ok.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Do you think there aren’t 50 or so guys on the roster that grew up fans of various non-bills teams? They’d all get a kick out of wearing the gear from the team that hey pretended to be winning the Super Bowl for on the playground 

I know it’s better left unsaid but your wife checks out other guys too. It’ll all be ok.

Some things are best unsaid. He's not very bright saying this. I'd have a bit more grace for him if he was an important player, but he is not.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Now imagine she goes in public and announces that she dreams of having coiutus with these other gentlemen!

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by Einstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think he'll likely get cut this offseason or in camp. Usually teams go with rookies, or players with more upside for the role he currently fills. It's possible he could slot in as depth safety somewhere in the league though. Or possibly a vet practice squad spot.

8 hours ago, RkFast said:

I’m not gonna lose sleep over it, but that’s a pretty tone deaf comment from Hamlin. Kinda disappointed. He should not be saying that out loud. Buffalo bled for this guy last year and to say it’s a “dream” to play somewhere else?  Yeesh.  

Also…we can’t be two faced here (but we will).  DIGGS says anything outside of “I want to be in Buffalo forever, this place is better than utopia”…if he even HINTS one day he will be somewhere else…and people lose their minds.   But Hamlin outright says he wants to play somewhere else and it’s “no big deal” and “understandable?” Can’t have it both ways, folks.  

lol. How exactly did we all “bleed” for him?

4 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Some things are best unsaid. He's not very bright saying this. I'd have a bit more grace for him if he was an important player, but he is not.

Ironic this applies to everything you’ve said in this thread.

I guess he could’ve just blown the local kid off or just made up some lie to make some of you grown adults feel better.

seriously pursue some alternative hobbies.

Edited by JoPoy88

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He is still under contract. 

What's the NFL's policy on a contract if a player who dies comes back to life?  One of the plethora of reasons a player should always hire the best agent one can buy.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I'm gonna let you all in on a little secret.....he's not very good.

That is all.......carry on.

Before his injury in Cincinnati, I often said the man does a good job tackling 10 yards downfield, but cannot cover well at all.

So to his comment, he nearly lost his life on the field, he can say anything he wants at this point.  I'm not offended.  I believe he was kept on the Bills this past season because it would've been a terrible look to release him after being cleared to resume playing.  But I don't see him making the roster this year.

• Agree 1

so much shade being thrown at Damar which for me reads as an honest desire to  play for his hometowns team.  Eventually. Maybe.

He doesn't even really need football. His life is set. He can afford to be glib in regards to his choices.

either way for him it is WIN WIN. Because that is the kind of guy he is. Outstanding  individual. Talented. smart, and a giver. He has heart alright.

That was not a snark at his injury. Im a HUGE fan of his Outside of the game.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SCBills said:

I get why he’d say this given his relationship to Pitt, but what a weird thing to say when he’s under contract with Buffalo next year.

Maybe he knows he’s not long for the roster?

"Ending his career," and he doubtless doesn't imagine it will be ending soon. 

Nothing wrong with that at all.

He didn't say anything bad about Buffalo. Just good about his childhood team.

Today Im in the office and when we do the typical 10AM "hows it going" gathering with my company owner and a few colleagues Im going to steer the convo to our primary competing agency and will say out loud "This place is pretty good, but its really my dream to work there." 

Wish me luck.

Edited by RkFast
  • Haha (+1) 4

Am I the only person who doesn't want him on the team next year?

Very happy that he has recovered from the terrible on-field accident.

Purely on the field, he doesn't seem to help much and this idea of "everyone is rooting for him" might be taking away from our objectivity.

The best players need to be on the roster. If he's not the best player, it's a distraction.

13 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I def didn’t mean to imply that he’s not at all NFL-caliber; I just meant that no one would’ve been shocked if under “normal” circumstances Hamlin didn’t get a roster spot this last season coming out of camp, is all. 

Imagine for a second that you have NFL caliber athleticism, and you're going to be playing in the NFL in a depth and special teams role starting this coming season. Any team can sign you.

Wouldn't you, in your heart of hearts, want the Bills to be the team to sign you? Wouldn't you want to play for your home town team?

That's all this is.

Edited by Logic

1 hour ago, RkFast said:

Today Im in the office and when we do the typical 10AM "hows it going" gathering with my company owner and a few colleagues Im going to steer the convo to our primary competing agency and will say out loud "This place is pretty good, but its really my dream to work there." 

Wish me luck.

As long as your meeting doesn’t include “the Bobs,” you should be good 👍 😁.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952s5ui947ur73hf37y26

18 hours ago, SCBills said:

I get why he’d say this given his relationship to Pitt, but what a weird thing to say when he’s under contract with Buffalo next year.

Maybe he knows he’s not long for the roster?

I’ve never seen the public turn on a player so quickly. I’m not understanding it. 

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I’ve never seen the public turn on a player so quickly. I’m not understanding it. 

I've never seen a player with any sense of loyalty to his current team (or fans for that matter) say something so stupid while under contract to said team. 

Players have said it would be great to play with specific players,  but I can't recall anyone calling out a team. 

12 hours ago, RkFast said:

Wish me luck.

I work for a German company. Those meetings are insane. We have meetings planning meetings. And teams to focus meetings. 

This is getting taken way out of hand and way out of context

Demar Hamlin did not go out of his way to say I want to be signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers and I do not want to be a Buffalo Bill

He was doing an interview in Pittsburgh where he said I wouldn't mind finishing my career in Pittsburgh

That's it nothing more or less

It's not a big deal

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, RkFast said:

Wish me luck.

🤞