Breaking: Salary cap set at $255M

HappyDays

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Oh I know.  But contracts are also going to increase so both the inflation of the cap and contracts will likely still be in line with one another.  Like I said, it was a rare situation where the cap was basically doing a "bounce back" from a bad economical standing so the teams that were willing to pay more and play the long game are now going to benefit more than the teams that played the "wait and see" game.

Yes but that is why kicking the can on deals is good cap management. Because that isn't money that keeps up with the cap and salary inflation. It is moving money on old deals around. So say moving $12m of a deal signed in 2024 into chunks of $4m in 25, 26, 27 gradually devalues that money as a percentage of cap year on year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, khlax3 said:

This would be good for Buffalo. If Davis, Floyd, AJE and even jones get over payed in FA it could net us a few extra 3rd to 5th round comp picks next year 

Floyd already said he's chasing a payday so that's almost guaranteed.  The door for Davis and AJE staying on the bills opened up slightly.  I think the number of d-lineman we have under contract right now though is going to lean toward trying to get AJE and Jones signed more than Davis though since it seems like the draft is going to be where they do their shopping for WR.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Correct. But this news helps cap strapped teams more so it's still very good news for us. Of course it might mean free agency contracts are slightly higher than expected but still overall very good news.

I don't think the Bills were ever really going to be big players in FA.  But this is awesome because it probably means that now the Bills don't have to restructure Diggs's deal like they would have before.  That doesn't really mean anything even for next offseason in terms of cutting or trading Diggs, but I think it gives us an easy out on his contract in the 2026 offseason.

MIKE EVANS COME ON UP!!!! 

12 minutes ago, Trev said:

Go sign Chris Jones and Townsend. 

honestly if we could find ANY way to get Chris Jones here it should be explored.

With the cap increasing this much, I think we can create around 40 mil in space realistically 

that extra 13 million should give us enough to go after  1 quality UFA if we so desired 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Is there work to be done?  Of course, but for us FA should really be about value-friendly depth/rotational pieces.

Big game hunting and big game re-signing for that matter, aren’t needed, provided Beane hits on this draft - which was always going to be the primary focus of this off-season. 

And that would be fine. The Bills don't have to rely on signing big name players in free agency to be a better team.

It would be great if they could do that, but it's not imperative. All they have to do is find quality players that are also reliable and will help them get to the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is massive news. The salary cap is $13 million higher than anticipated. This changes everything about our free agency possibilities.

looking annually, doesn’t it essentially always come a good clip above preliminary estimates?

I won’t say I track it religiously or anything but almost every year it feels like we see this late update and all the people saying “how in the world do certain teams spend like they do? this will be the year it catches up!” have to wait another year. 

3 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

The cap increase just makes it more likely that KC will re-sign Jones, who has said he won’t play anywhere else. 

He has also said he wants to be paid-I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he left KC 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I once told my boss I love my job

Jones could have left it at "I love my employer." Instead, he's repeatedly said he won't go anywhere else. Veach has also said they're going to prioritize Jones. With a higher cap, the chances of him being re-signed only increase. 

Edited by SaulGoodman
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

honestly if we could find ANY way to get Chris Jones here it should be explored.

With the cap increasing this much, I think we can create around 40 mil in space realistically 

that extra 13 million should give us enough to go after  1 quality UFA if we so desired 

Chris Jones likely will go to the highest bidder, though I'm sure Kansas City will do everything they can to resign him.

Great news. It helps us a lot. But we are in a big hole anyway. I really hope Beane will be responsible and tries to create healthier cap situation for following years.

Cut some vets, restructure only one of Diggs/Miller, cut Tre if needed, don't bring more than more expensive FA (preferably safety), bring back some cheap vets, draft 7-8 players who will actually make the roster, then fill the rest with FAs available after draft.

8 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Great news. It helps us a lot. But we are in a big hole anyway. I really hope Beane will be responsible and tries to create healthier cap situation for following years.

Cut some vets, restructure only one of Diggs/Miller, cut Tre if needed, don't bring more than more expensive FA (preferably safety), bring back some cheap vets, draft 7-8 players who will actually make the roster, then fill the rest with FAs available after draft.

IMO I'd rather try to land Mike Evans or Michael Pittman Jr than go after an expensive safety.  The market is going to be flooded with starting safeties.  We should be able to get someone like J. Chinn, Brandon Jones or Mike Edwards for a reasonable amount 

If I were lord and ruler over all I survey, whether it be in this realm or in unity with all other dimensional realms of time and space in existence, everywhere (and seriously I am working on a couple of things that makes this seem not so far fetched, more later) I would make the Bills exempt from any cap consequences for all time.

...Oh you're all gonna love hailing me as your galactic Caesar.  Honestly, some good times are coming.

Go Bills

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

looking annually, doesn’t it essentially always come a good clip above preliminary estimates?

I won’t say I track it religiously or anything but almost every year it feels like we see this late update and all the people saying “how in the world do certain teams spend like they do? this will be the year it catches up!” have to wait another year. 

This exemplifies the increases over the years. A 70M difference between 21 and now is pretty stark.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If the Bills are interested, Michael Pittman Jr is now a possibility considering his age, growth, ability and friendship with Josh Allen 

I had a feeling when I saw the news, i'd see you here going wild haha

This scenario basically changes us from being 52m over to about 41m over. All the cap prognostications for us were factoring in a bump already. It being a little more than expected didn't take us from where we were to being able to go out and get Tier 1 Day 1 FA's. And the bump happened for everyone. Meaning the teams that are in better shape can now spend more money than they expected on those big FA's. We're still in no position to even attempt to get into bidding wars.

Things like Evans, Jones, and Pittman are still a pipe dream. The good news is that it will take less to get us under and we'll be able to afford to fill another hole or two more through FA in the tier of guys we can afford.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This scenario basically changes us from being 52m over to about 41m over. All the cap prognostications for us were factoring in a bump already. It being a little more than expected didn't take us from where we were to being able to go out and get Tier 1 Day 1 FA's. And the bump happened for everyone. Meaning the teams that are in better shape can now spend more money than they expected on those big FA's. We're still in no position to even attempt to get into bidding wars.

Things like Evans, Jones, and Pittman are still a pipe dream. The good news is that it will take less to get us under and we'll be able to afford to fill another hole or two more through FA in the tier of guys we can afford.

Hahaha don’t worry, I’m sure the Bills have someone with a green visor counting the pennies that can be completely disregarded!

we are going on a SPENDING SPREE baby

Park Place & Boardwalk! Then pass GO, collect 200 million and do it all over again🤣

5 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Lets Go GIF

Castor Troy for Asst GM!  Spend that $$$ baby. Wrong movie oh well haha

In bleak reality this just makes it more likely Beane shells out 17 mil a year to keep Gabe Davis

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

ok ok,you win! Let’s explore bringing Trent Murphy back then…

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952nl7vfp1pv1b0j9d1hw

😁

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Beane blamed the pandemic for why they’re currently over the cap. He specifically referenced it being $13M lower that year than what they thought it’d be. Now is his chance to right his wrongs. Higher cap doesn’t mean spend, spend, spend!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Doesn't change much. We need to get younger, faster and cheaper. We still need to move on from a lot of players. It does give us chance to not extend so many contracts. The $13 mil extra is almost exactly what our dead cap money is this year. 

It is what it is.. $13m that Beane now doesn’t have to find through moves or having to go without someone that can fill a hole…

I mean, I’m not under any illusions they are signing Tee Higgins or anything ..but I’m sure it will assist this year where they are likely to be as hard up against it dollar wise as they ever have been before …

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

It is what it is.. $13m that Beane now doesn’t have to find through moves or having to go without someone that can fill a hole…

I mean, I’m not under any illusions they are signing Tee Higgins or anything ..but I’m sure it will assist this year where they are likely to be as hard up against it dollar wise as they ever have been before …

Agree 100%

I haven't seen this so I'll do it...

It means we can trade Diggs!!! 🤣

50 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

To me it doesn’t change a whole lot. Most of the moves that got us to $25 under were simple moves that the Bills make no matter what. 

Also we have to remember that contracts are mostly done by cap %. Meaning every player in the league just got a raise also.

Cap going up doesn’t really change plans.

39 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Chiefs have 28 mil in cap space.  They can easily bring back Jones and add pieces.  Hooray

Perhaps, but they won’t be able to easily bring back Jones, Snead, and add pieces. They will still have to make decisions 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.