Breaking: Salary cap set at $255M

HappyDays

Just now, HappyDays said:

This is massive news. The salary cap is $13 million higher than anticipated. This changes everything about our free agency possibilities.

It's $13M higher for everyone not just us. Not everyone goes by Spotrac

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, uticaclub said:

It's $13M higher for everyone not just us. Not everyone goes by Spotrac

Correct. But this news helps cap strapped teams more so it's still very good news for us. Of course it might mean free agency contracts are slightly higher than expected but still overall very good news.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Correct. But this news helps cap strapped teams more so it's still very good news for us. Of course it might mean free agency contracts are slightly higher than expected but still overall very good news.

Yea this was a year the Bills need it more than most.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7

Especially when you have a wizard at GM who's been dealing with the aftermath of those Covid rules and cap years, could really help get us on the right side of things.

• Like (+1) 3

Good news for the Bills, as others have already stated.

Two things to remember once free agency starts:

One: Bear this in mind when you start seeing the deals that get handed out in free agency. Bigger cap means bigger contracts handed out. Try not to die of sticker shock.

Two: When it comes to free agency in general, always remember that the first ones to announce the deals are typically the players' agents, who word the announcements in a way that makes the deal sound as favorable as possible for their client. The devil is ALWAYS in the details, and you should ALWAYS wait until the specifics like guaranteed money, voidable years, and roster bonuses come out, because they tell the real story.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That was my first thought. You see $13M for the Bills, the players see $416M

The Bills would be better served hyper focusing on the draft. Free agency is a poison pill if trying to land a big name guy.

You're competing against other teams trying to fill the same positional need, and to get the player you desire, that almost always means overpaying (that will be especially true this year with added cap space.) Most important, you're overpaying for a player who performed well in someone else's system. How they'll translate to your system, or what made them successful in the prior system, is often highly unpredictable. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I know that I speak for everyone here when I give a big THANK YOU to the individual most responsible for this increase.

taylor-swift-donna-kelce-chiefs-bears-se

Hot take:

Sean McDermott joins competition committee yesterday.

Today, salary cap is bumped up almost $14M more than projected, which helps keep us competitive.

coincidence? I think not.

3 minutes ago, beebe said:

The Bills would be better served hyper focusing on the draft. Free agency is a poison pill if trying to land a big name guy.

You're competing against other teams trying to fill the same positional need, and to get the player you desire, that almost always means overpaying (that will be especially true this year with added cap space.) Most important, you're overpaying for a player who performed well in someone else's system. How they'll translate to your system, or what made them successful in the prior system, is often highly unpredictable. 

Unlike the draft, where we know exactly who is going to be successful and is definitely not unpredictable at all. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, beebe said:

I'm gonna guess that they can chew gum & walk at the same time, and focus on both having a great draft, and doing what they can in FA to strengthen the team.

• Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is massive news. The salary cap is $13 million higher than anticipated. This changes everything about our free agency possibilities.

Exactly Hap.

Possibly let's us keep 1 or maybe 2 guys already signed that we just plain don't want to get rid of due to the cap.

The downside is that this obviously provides more cap to a team like KC, who’s already done a great job staying on the good side of it.  Also a team like CIN, with all their upcoming deals, but the bigger issue for them has always been their owners liquidity and/or willingness to cut huge checks to multiple players. 

The upside for us is massive.  KC was always going to be good.  Whatever. It is what it is.    

For the Bills, I’m not sure how much this changes our plans - perhaps this allows for Jones & Epenesa to both come back if terms are favorable - but in the long run, it helps save us from having a big “take your medicine” year with the Allen contract in his prime. 

Beane has some breathing room with the financials, along with big contracts for guys like Von, Diggs and Knox that we can look at getting out of after this upcoming season (if necessary). 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Sneed and Jones will both now play hardball.  No hometown discounts.  They will want top dollar...which they deserve.

Sneed definitely isn’t taking a cut. He has never gotten paid.

Jones I could see taking a smaller deal with more years. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I mean, I won't say "everything". But that amount is the difference of renegotiating Diggs or not

I am quoting myself, quoting @DrDawkinstein quoting an early Cover 1 installment but here are some very basic moves that I would say 99% of this board would agree with:

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Release or paycut Hines - $2-5M

Release Harty - $4M

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

That puts the Bills at $9-12 million over the cap without doing the classic "convert base salary to signing bonus" outside of Josh Allen (who is worth the money and we want here a long time). I honestly will be surprised if anyone here objects to these moves.

After that...it gets harder, but I am no longer worried about having to gut the roster or make extreme long term restructures to field a competitive team. 

With that money, I can very much see the Bills swapping Poyer for a new pair of journeyman safeties and picking up 1-2 free agents on defense and then backfilling BPA defense and WR2 in the draft.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Sneed definitely isn’t taking a cut. He has never gotten paid.

Jones I could see taking a smaller deal with more years. 

He has said in the past he wants Aaron Donald money.  With his performance in the playoffs and this year...he should get paid more than Donald!

9 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Sneed and Jones will both now play hardball.  No hometown discounts.  They will want top dollar...which they deserve.

Agree,

They have won championships, but now they can cash in.  Sneed could command TOP dollar as a CB, and he will have his pick of team.  With term as well (4-5 years at top dollar).  

Jones can also get a 3 year deal being the highest paid DT in the league if he wants.

I find it hard to believe KC would be able to retain both.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

Good news for the Bills, as others have already stated.

Two things to remember once free agency starts:

One: Bear this in mind when you start seeing the deals that get handed out in free agency. Bigger cap means bigger contracts handed out. Try not to die of sticker shock.

Two: When it comes to free agency in general, always remember that the first ones to announce the deals are typically the players' agents, who word the announcements in a way that makes the deal sound as favorable as possible for their client. The devil is ALWAYS in the details, and you should ALWAYS wait until the specifics like guaranteed money, voidable years, and roster bonuses come out, because they tell the real story.

Very much.

Also, the Bills were never going to be legal tampering and Day 1 bidders. More to the point, that's not how I personally view as the path to long term success. Our biggest free agent signing that wasn't a retention contract is Von Miller, and ask around here to see how popular that is.

Let's not forget how the Bills slowly dragged themselves to playoff contention before Josh got here: journeymen FA to fill positions of need, draft BPA and do your best to retain your successes. Sure, we still needed a QB but that was the core that took the Bills as far as the did in 2020 and 2021.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

And I’m sure they’re looking at the amount of cap space their team has. Get paid, fellas!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Trust The Process said:

@spotrac has the #Bills at $287.9 million in Top 51 player contracts, putting them at an estimated $32.5 million over the new salary cap limit of $255.4.

Some work for Brandon Beane to do - as we’ve been discussing - but not as bleak a picture as a few weeks ago.

I mean, I am looking over some of the recommended cuts and it's incredibly east to shed $49M

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Unlike the draft, where we know exactly who is going to be successful and is definitely not unpredictable at all. 

In the draft, you're getting a guy that plays on a rookie contract. Being wrong in the draft - particularly mid to late round picks - isn't nearly as crippling as being wrong on a big-name free agent who doesn't give you what you wanted. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.