What is your unpopular Bills opinion?

Mikie2times

Unpopular negative:  The Bills ownership is quietly one of the more fragile in the league.  Terry is 73, Kim's status is unknown, with no readily apparent heir.

Unpopular positive:  The NFL, in the deepest, windowless conference room in the building, would admit that the Bills fanbase, and not the Chiefs, not the Cowboys, not the Packers, best exemplifies the modern day NFL fan with its support of the team, regardless of weather, and the consistent charity drives.

If I had to ditch either Beane or McD, I'd lose Beane.

Both of these guys deserve our thanks for making the Bills a contender.  But the main reason we haven't celebrated a Lombardi yet is because the roster just isn't strong enough.  Every year, we're beaten by better teams.  I've watched some 49er games this year and have been impressed by their roster.  It's stronger than ours.  And they also lost to KC.

I'm not arguing that McD has been perfect but to win the SB, the roster needs to get better.  Beane needs to step up (or be replaced by someone better).  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I'll start with these two guys being some of my favorite players but Poyer and Hyde should both hang it up.  For every good play they made this season, they made two or three bad plays (missed tackles, blown coverage, or just got beat).  They looked slow all year.  Unfortunately, the Bills didn't have better options on the roster but they need to fix that.  Father time has run its course.

That's fair on Hyde, it's a little unfair on Poyer. Through the first two weeks it was maybe true - but overall he still had an above average year for an NFL safety. He just isn't the all-pro type guy we remember. Find a good vet who can be the new lynchpin back there, let Poyer play his final year but draft a guy late day 2 or early day 3 to take over next year. That guy should get a chance to get on the field too because as the season wore on they swapped JoPo and Rapp in dime looks and Rapp was playing as the second safety with Poyer as a traditional dime almost playing like a linebacker. If he ends up outplaying Poyer, great, let him start and just bring Poyer in for dime looks.  

28 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Unpopular negative:  The Bills ownership is quietly one of the more fragile in the league.  Terry is 73, Kim's status is unknown, with no readily apparent heir.

Are the kids not heirs? I think Jess is on record saying she wants to stay involved in sports after her career. She didn't necessarily say "I'd love to own the Bills" but I'd say without any deep knowledge she is the hair apparent. 

• Like (+1) 4

Bills fans would be as annoying and hated as Chief fans currently or Patriot fans if we had the run those teams are.

Also Bills Mafias true halcyon days were through 2019. Currently it is a massive bandwagon culturally as its a "thing" and when the pendulum swings back (hopefully in 20 years+ lol) but it will feel a lot like the drought days. Sizable fanbase and hearty group, but not what exists now.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That's fair on Hyde, it's a little unfair on Poyer. Through the first two weeks it was maybe true - but overall he still had an above average year for an NFL safety. He just isn't the all-pro type guy we remember. Find a good vet who can be the new lynchpin back there, let Poyer play his final year but draft a guy late day 2 or early day 3 to take over next year.

The Buffalo secondary is SLOW, and Poyer is a huge factor.  It's great that he's a savvy vet who occasionally makes a heroic play, but I don't see how you can keep sending him out there.  You'll realize what a liability he was when he's finally replaced by someone with legit recovery speed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

The Buffalo secondary is SLOW, and Poyer is a huge factor.  It's great that he's a savvy vet who occasionally makes a heroic play, but I don't see how you can keep sending him out there.  You'll realize what a liability he was when he's finally replaced by someone with legit recovery speed.

He is slow at this stage, but he still had a decent season. He was not close to a liability. 

We're closer to going all the way than we think. We can legitimately say we can take the Chiefs to the brink as much as the 49ers.

Blowing up the McDermott - Beane would be big a step back. 

This fan base's negativity is based more on the accumulated heartbreaks of The Decade of Fail and 4 Falls of Buffalo than how the team is currently playing.

Von Miller is ineffective without a corresponding threat like Chubb or Aaron Donald and is stealing paycheques.

If we think Josh is a franchise QB ( yes I do) then we have to stop using him as a battering ram in short yardage. There is no Mahomes tush push play.

Our defense has some good players but no playmakers. Can you name one defender who is irreplaceable or among the elite at their position?

At 17 games, the regular season becomes more like exhibition. Going into the post season healthy is more important than being the #1 seed or having home field.

10 hours ago, QCity said:

This is sort of where I'm at. They're in a tough spot next year financially. 

The money the Bills will pay Von Miller could have retained two quality starters.  Miller will do nothing again this year.  Bad signing in retrospect.

• Agree 2

Im going to get ripped for this but here goes....

Bills mafia is a terrible nickname for our fan base. I hate it so much.

A small but vocal and ever present minority of fans are really drunken trash that I would never associate with in any other venue. You know this is true. You see them every game. My wife looks around at the parking lot and we can't wait to make it to our club seats. In a perfect world there would be seperate parking and gates for those willing to pay a higher price to avoid the drunken gauntlet on game day. 

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Unpopular take:

The Bills have really not been that talented in this Super Bowl “window” and I’m not that worried about the future because of it. 

2020 was probably the peak in terms of overall talent and we were an AFCCG team going up against probably an All-Time Chiefs team. Since then, the water has found it’s level a bit between both of our clubs, which is why that was the last time they ever blew us out. 

They have a great team/org along with an All-time QB and we have our work cut out for us going forward. But it would not surprise me to beat them in the postseason once or twice in the next few years. We have a better shot than probably every other team than the Bengals. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Less popular:

The Bills are and have been the closest team to the Chiefs level in the entire NFL since 2021, and if the Bills or Chiefs were in the NFC it would be a Bills v Chiefs Superbowl since 2020-21. 

Unpopular:

Dawson Knox is way better than fans give him credit for. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, finn said:

Bills fans are hard on McDermott, Davis, Bass, etc., because they live vicariously through the Bills and they hate feeling like the almost-winners or losers they feel like they (not the Bills, they) might be. 

nail on the head there Finn, except that Davis does under perform frequently and McDermott is obsessed with his defense, which unfortunately always fails in the playoffs, we just have to live with this reality 😂🍸🚬

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I actually like this one and have some hope it could happen. His year 1 was adjusting from a predominantly man system and joining the NFL. His year two he was largely banged up. If he can start the year healthy next season I see him as a guy that has the potential to really outplay his current spot on the depth chart.  

yeah Elam will be fine.   

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

.....shoulve taken that big swing for some offensive weapons for JA

yep, I was wrong on D-Hop.  Totally should have gone and gotten him.   What a talent.  

56 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Brittany is hotter than Hailee. 

Poyer has been slow as hell for like 4 years.

Rachel Bushs booty is too big, it's almost overwhelming. 

- Disagree

- Agree

- I'd like to climb that mountain and make a determination.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, The Red King said:

Those horrible color-rush jerseys might actually look good with white pants (and keeping the white helmets).

Don't change a thing except screw on some BLUE facemasks please! 

It would be so lit, as the kids say! 🔥

They looked great in the Joe Ferguson/Joe Cribbs/Bermuda Triangle era 🔥

JoeCribbs.jpg

6 minutes ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

Don't change a thing except screw on some BLUE facemasks please! 

It would be so lit, as the kids say! 🔥

They looked great in the Joe Ferguson/Joe Cribbs/Bermuda Triangle era 🔥

JoeCribbs.jpg

Love those unis! Cribbs was so good!

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Reason why we can’t beat KC in playoffs is all McD. 

That is hardly unpopular take. Most of us agree. Some of us just knew it a few years ago and got flamed repeatedly for saying it!

8 minutes ago, fmr60 said:

Beane will be replaced by a GM who knows something about personnel and drafting. He survives only because he lucked out on one draft choice - JA.

I might have thought that two years ago. But I think he's done a solid job the last couple drafts. Honestly I blame McD for Elam not playing. Shocker I know that I blame McD.

But Beane was right about Brown at RT and he did well all be it two season too late of fixing the OL.

If Miller plays well this year and he finds a WR and an Edge that contributes immediately this off season it will be a huge success!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1.  Elam is traded in the offseason for a fourth round pick in the draft.

2.  Bills select a defensive lineman with their first round pick.

3.  Bills lose Epenesa, Jones and Floyd in free agency because of salary cap constraints.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Unpopular take:

The Bills have really not been that talented in this Super Bowl “window” and I’m not that worried about the future because of it. 

2020 was probably the peak in terms of overall talent and we were an AFCCG team going up against probably an All-Time Chiefs team. Since then, the water has found it’s level a bit between both of our clubs, which is why that was the last time they ever blew us out. 

They have a great team/org along with an All-time QB and we have our work cut out for us going forward. But it would not surprise me to beat them in the postseason once or twice in the next few years. We have a better shot than probably every other team than the Bengals. 

Only thing I’m worried about is replacing Hyde - but agree with all this.  

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Less popular:

The Bills are and have been the closest team to the Chiefs level in the entire NFL since 2021, and if the Bills or Chiefs were in the NFC it would be a Bills v Chiefs Superbowl since 2020-21. 

Unpopular:

Dawson Knox is way better than fans give him credit for. 

Both of these are spot on IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 years from now Josh Allen will be out of the league and/or a shell of himself like Cam Newton and it will be dark days for many years again as Bills fans continue to watch Mahomes and the Chiefs rack up the Lombardis and realize the true impact of the events of the 2017 draft.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Only thing I’m worried about is replacing Hyde - but agree with all this.  

I’m slightly concerned too but the fact of the matter is that Hyde effectively missed 2022, and was a shadow of himself this year with his head falling off. 

Poyer only slowed down first last year because he was the only one playing so it was obvious. And this year played a lot of dual LB/S big nickel hybrid which allowed him to compensate for the step he clearly lost. 

The last time we had both safeties playing at the elite level we are accustomed to was probably spots in 21. We have basically made due without that level of play since, retaining a pretty good defense and still being one score away from beating KC. So ultimately, if we get a mid tier FA or a solid rookie, I don’t think the defense is going to miss a beat. 

Part of that is why I do think McD is a good defensive mind and far better at adapting than folks give him credit for. Once Milano went down, and Dorian Williams played himself off the field, McD brought Poyer down and ran a ton of 3 safety looks. Poyer playing LB was our best option, McD recognized that, and our defense found its level. And it sucks that Taylor Rapp injured himself picking off Tua, because his absence meant we couldn’t use that look against KC without putting Hamlin or Cam Lewis out there, both of who completely suck. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Im going to get ripped for this but here goes....

Bills mafia is a terrible nickname for our fan base. I hate it so much.

Allow me to hop in your bandwagon.  Don’t like it. Never have, never will. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Unless the receiver they can get in the first round is considered an absolute can't miss, they should use all of the first 5 rounds on defense.

That ought to do it.

Edited by KHAN
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1