Tua expected to sign an extension with Miami this offseason, per Schefter

Roundybout

10 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'll guess 5 years 280 mil. The next guy that signs always gets the highest AAV

The Fish will structure the contract for lower guarantees and have outs though.

It'll be interesting to see if Allen re-negotiates before his contract is up. His AAV is 43mm and if he was signing a contract today it would be close to 60mm. Thankfully he seems to care more about winning a championship than maximizing personal earnings. 

I bet is similar to the Colin Kapernick contract, where they can buy out of the contract every other year for a reasonable hit.

13 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

He was on a “prove it” year and he has shown that he has learned how to fall down, so management is ready to sign him up!!

Tua is a pro bowl faller downer, 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 1

He’s decent and if signed long term, keeps the division from ever being a cake walk, but Tyreek Hill isn’t getting younger and I have zero concern of them being a threat once Hill loses a step or retires. 

They can replicate “speed” but you can’t replicate Tyreek Hill in his prime.  

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

Read that tweet a bit more carefully. It was Tua saying that he expects to sign an extension. What else is he supposed to say? 

Seriously...all it says is that Tua himself is expecting it. Of course he would!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Tells you a lot when the Bulls fans are all aboard and the Dolphins fNs are like ummmmmmm Idk about this. They are so screwed. Can't wait for 100 million to be tied up in Tua, Hill and Waddle

Tua, Hill and Waddle is a pretty damn good offense.  Waddle and Hill were playing hurt or not playing at all late. Careful what you wish for.

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Tua, Hill and Waddle is a pretty damn good offense.  Waddle and Hill were playing hurt or not playing at all late. Careful what you wish for.

Yeah.... and only 150 million for the rest of team. Next year is their last chance in my opinion to be relevant

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

It's a system where it only works if you can draft and keep premier talent on offense.  You can't do that with paying a good but not elite qb top of the market QB money.   You saw what happened to Purdy had to play without McCaffrey, Deebo, and Trent Williams this season. 

Tua's numbers went down when they started losing offensive line starters, Hill was hobbled, and Waddle was dealing with that high ankle sprain.  They averaged 13.3 ppg against the Ravens, us, and the Chiefs to finish out their season.

I wouldn’t sign him and I think this will blow up in Miami’s face. 

He’s got amazing accuracy, but he’s immobile.  This is his ceiling now.  And he’s one hit away…. 

QB purgatory for Miami with a middle tier qb.   Also, Hill makes Tua. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Yeah.... and only 150 million for the rest of team. Next year is their last chance in my opinion to be relevant

The cap goes up every season and most teams know how to manage it well. If your hopes depend on the Dolphins having cap problems, I think you'll be disappointed.

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's a system where it only works if you can draft and keep premier talent on offense.  You can't do that with paying a good but not elite qb top of the market QB money.   You saw what happened to Purdy had to play without McCaffrey, Deebo, and Trent Williams this season. 

Tua's numbers went down when they started losing offensive line starters, Hill was hobbled, and Waddle was dealing with that high ankle sprain.  They averaged 13.3 ppg against the Ravens, us, and the Chiefs to finish out their season.

Do you really think the offense falls apart if they sign Tua?

Like SF, most teams would take a hit if they were missing superstars like that.

4 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Can it "fall apart" if it only works against bad teams in the first place?

They lost this season because they were missing impact players on defense, Oline and Waddle and Hill were injured a lot.  They are a good team and they are capable of improving.  We didn't beat those bad teams this season and we can't beat good teams in the playoffs, so do we have a bigger problem? Our cap space is already making things difficult.

31 minutes ago, klos63 said:

The cap goes up every season and most teams know how to manage it well. If your hopes depend on the Dolphins having cap problems, I think you'll be disappointed.

Do you really think the offense falls apart if they sign Tua?

No but if he signs a top of the market long term deal it will hurt them long term.  You won't be able to keep a few of these good young players (Waddle, Eichenberg, Hunt, Jackson, Phillips, Wilkins, Hollands).

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

No but if he signs a top of the market long term deal it will hurt them long term.  You won't be able to keep a few of these good young players (Waddle, Eichenberg, Hunt, Jackson, Phillips, Wilkins, Hollands).

Did it hurt the Bills?  At the time, Josh's contract was at the top.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Again, you don't need to surround Josh with as much talent as you do Tua to have a highly productive offense.  It's why you should only pay elite QB's top of the market deals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I mean they will lose Wilkins already. They probably can't keep Ramsey and Howard. They are already 70 million over without Tua and Waddle signed.

12 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

People hating on Tua are silly.  Dude is a great QB.  But then again some of you literally hate the Bills. 

Great? Nah 

Look, we rag on Tua here. He's a rival team QB. He's not a one read QB.

But I don't think there's any denying that he's come up small in December and January the last two years even with a HOF WR, a #2 who could arguably be #1 on most teams in the league and an offensive coach who tailored the offense to maximize Tua's strengths and hide his weaknesses. If I have to build a team from scratch I am taking Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lamar and Stroud over Tua in a heartbeat. 

Above average QBs get paid and very recently have been paid stupid money. With the Dolphins in as much or worse cap hell as the Bills I won't knock anyone cheering the Dolphins to lock their budget for the next 8 years.

Josh's contact looks ridiculously good right now 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

We Bills Fans have become quarterback snobs, haven't we? We are slamming Tua as if he is garbage and while he is not an elite qb, he is more than twice as good as anything we had between the years of 1997 and 2017. 

I mean we are looking back at JP Losman, Trent Edwards, a finished Drew Bledsoe, Tyrod Taylor, Fitz, Rob Johnson, Todd Collins and Doug Flutie (who may have been the best of this sorry bunch).

Looking back at that sad list, in those days we would have welcomed Tua, no?

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

15 hours ago, klos63 said:

Its starting to make it harder despite him being good enough to carry a team 

we are totally out of our easiest path to a ring unfortunately - though still have a window open

14 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

People hating on Tua are silly.  Dude is a great QB.  But then again some of you literally hate the Bills. 

Tua is a good QB with known  and obvious limitations, he isn’t a great QB. 

17 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Again, you don't need to surround Josh with as much talent as you do Tua to have a highly productive offense. 

Not to derail this discussion but yes we need to surround Josh with more talent than he has. One could think that we couldn't sign DHop because of cap constraints - one player who could have changed the ultimate outcome of the Bills season . 

Again, I don't want to hijack this thread. But paying Tua will affext their ability to get the level of talent they have now. But Dolphins need to pay him. He is a good guy and a good enough QB 

15 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Great? Nah 

Look, we rag on Tua here. He's a rival team QB. He's not a one read QB.

But I don't think there's any denying that he's come up small in December and January the last two years even with a HOF WR, a #2 who could arguably be #1 on most teams in the league and an offensive coach who tailored the offense to maximize Tua's strengths and hide his weaknesses. If I have to build a team from scratch I am taking Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lamar and Stroud over Tua in a heartbeat. 

Above average QBs get paid and very recently have been paid stupid money. With the Dolphins in as much or worse cap hell as the Bills I won't knock anyone cheering the Dolphins to lock their budget for the next 8 years.

Josh's contact looks ridiculously good right now 

Lamar doesn’t come up short?  This is the same narrative on here. If you don’t win the SB you suck.  Tua will most likely keep improving.  They don’t have much chance.  And as you say it does help us regardless. 

16 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I love Tua! And hope the Fish sign him to the largest NFL contract ever and he pilots the team to oblivion again and again!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Don't be surprised if he gets more than Josh got.

I will almost guarantee he gets more. The cap goes up every year, so that's just the way it works.

He will probably get 45-48 per year if I were to guess.

Term/guarantees will Be the big numbers to look at though