Bills need a hardnosed, blunt QB coach

Back2Buff

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

Since it's Hot Take Monday, i think what the Bills need is a sports psychologist, someone who can diagnose and treat the Bills malady of disappearing for the 2nd and 3rd quarter every game

And the middle of seasons as well. 

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

You can be hard nosed and demand respect without screaming.  It's clear as day, Josh doesn't fear or respect Dorsey and Brady like he did Daboll.  Daboll wouldn't let Josh just do whatever he wanted out there.  

Oh no! He’s only leading the league in touchdowns! The horror! We should definitely gimp him 

You can be hard nosed and demand respect without screaming.  It's clear as day, Josh doesn't fear or respect Dorsey and Brady like he did Daboll.  Daboll wouldn't let Josh just do whatever he wanted out there.  

This is one of the biggest loads of horse crap projections I’ve read here-including after playoff losses! Please elaborate on how it’s clear as day he doesn’t fear or respect them?

im not sure why your venom is going after the one guy who has kept the Bills in as many games BECAUSE of his style of play

57 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

This is one of the biggest loads of horse crap projections I’ve read here-including after playoff losses! Please elaborate on how it’s clear as day he doesn’t fear or respect them?

im not sure why your venom is going after the one guy who has kept the Bills in as many games BECAUSE of his style of play

When you go out and complete the same mistake game after game, you are not listening to your coach, therefore not respecting him.

How many times did Allen throw an INT with a 15 yard out route against the sideline?  How many times did he need to be told to read the defense before throwing the ball?

It's not secret how harsh Daboll was with Allen.  We seen it on TV.  Allen goes back to the bench now, grabs his IPad, and Brady will console him.  Allen is a child at heart, he will admit it himself.  You need to be stern with a child for it to sink in.  

• Eyeroll 2

I think far too much is being put into the efficacy of a QB coach.

Josh is entering his 7th year...endlessly parading in new voices in his ear at this point will have negligible returns.

And Frank??? Come on... time for him to walk away from the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

Allen is the most productive QB in the NFL.  Full Stop.  Perfection js not achievable.  Full Stop.  The least problematic position on the Bills the last five years had been QB. 

Just stop. 

Sounds like you're saying that JA has no room for improvement. I totally disagree with the latter. 

He definitely could use help with how to read what defenses are doing, and also with his decision-making (regarding where to throw the ball). Plenty of All-22 film from plenty of games this past season make the latter fairly obvious.

Edited by Bob Jones
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

How about we just get him more weapons? 🤷🏽‍♂️

How many more weapons does he need? He had Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, Cook, and even Knox. Who did Mahomes have besides Kelce?

There aren't many teams that have more passing weapons than us.

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

This is just an "I liked a Dan Campbell interview I saw!" thread.  

I miss the "we need a football czar! He should be about 7' tall and be able to hypnotize you with his eyes and dance all night" threads.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

How many more weapons does he need? He had Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, Cook, and even Knox. Who did Mahomes have besides Kelce?

Besides the best TE of all time you mean?  Well, he had MVS, Rice, Hardman, Pacheco, CEH, Moore, and Toney.  No one but Bills fans think Shakir, Kincaid, and Knox are anything special.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This is just an "I liked a Dan Campbell interview I saw!" thread.  

I miss the "we need a football czar! He should be about 7' tall and be able to hypnotize you with his eyes and dance all night" threads.

Besides the best TE of all time you mean?  Well, he had MVS, Rice, Hardman, Pacheco, CEH, Moore, and Toney.  No one but Bills fans think Shakir, Kincaid, and Knox are anything special.  

Who out there thinks MVS, Hardman, CEH, and Toney are special?

Toney and Hardman outright lost them games as reserve players as did MVS.

CEH had 17 receptions for 188/1TD.

Rashee Rice had a gr3eat year as a rookie, but drafted after Kincaid. If the Bills wanted him, they could have had him. Shakir had a similarly impressive year on a lot less targets. Pacheco is a good not great RB who isn't a major passing game factor either at 44/244/2 compared to Cook's 44/445/4.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Just hire Pete Carmichael Jr. He was really good for the Saints for many years and he's a super experienced sounding board for Joe Brady who has extensive knowledge of the system. He would be a great extra pair of eyes for Brady and Carmichael was with Drew Brees for a long time back to their San Diego days, so I have to give him some credit for what Brees did in NO.  I think an experienced coach is what he needs. He's been coached by kids ever since Daboll left. 

Sean Ryan was the QB coach in Carolina and worked for Bill O'Brien, Tom Coughlin etc. I don't know about his style, but he is also an experienced name out there. 

Former Eagles OC, Brian Johnson would be a nice get if he doesn't get a job as an OC somewhere. 

Outside the box thinking, Todd Haley is known to be pretty abrasive, is an E-P coach, and could do good things for Josh, or he could ruin him. 

I could also see Thad Lewis coming over if the Bucs bypass him for the OC position. He is a young guy, so I am not sure that is ideal. 

Carmichael is definitely a guy I'd hire. But I'm not sure as a QB coach. I'd hire him in a senior offensive assistant role. Sean Ryan is a guy I've liked for a while. The lustre has worn off a bit , he was a hot OC candidate for a few years but at the time when teams could still block a QB coach interviewing. He has E-P experience. He would be an interesting hire. 

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Well, he had MVS, Rice, Hardman, Pacheco, CEH, Moore, and Toney.  No one but Bills fans think Shakir, Kincaid, and Knox are anything special.  

And other than Rice those guys suck. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Who out there thinks MVS, Hardman, CEH, and Toney are special?

Toney and Hardman outright lost them games as reserve players as did MVS.

CEH had 17 receptions for 188/1TD.

Rashee Rice had a gr3eat year as a rookie, but drafted after Kincaid. If the Bills wanted him, they could have had him. Shakir had a similarly impressive year on a lot less targets. Pacheco is a good not great RB who isn't a major passing game factor either at 44/244/2 compared to Cook's 44/445/4.

No one.  The Chiefs and Bills could both use an influx of talent.  A 1st ballet Hall of Fame tight end gives Chiefs skill position players the edge. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

No one.  The Chiefs and Bills could both use an influx of talent.  A 1st ballet Hall of Fame tight end gives Chiefs skill position players the edge. 

ballet lucy GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

When you go out and complete the same mistake game after game, you are not listening to your coach, therefore not respecting him.

How many times did Allen throw an INT with a 15 yard out route against the sideline?  How many times did he need to be told to read the defense before throwing the ball?

It's not secret how harsh Daboll was with Allen.  We seen it on TV.  Allen goes back to the bench now, grabs his IPad, and Brady will console him.  Allen is a child at heart, he will admit it himself.  You need to be stern with a child for it to sink in.  

Brady needs a belt!

• Haha (+1) 1

Imagine thinking we need to be stern to a guy with a work ethic like Josh Allen. 

Here is a fact, you have absolutely no knowledge of the conversations, the level of respect, or how harsh or easy Brady is on Josh. None, zero, zip. To sprout this off as "fact" is reckless and stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Oh please, how could you possible know this? 

this comes off as a "i saw him in 4 commercials this year and his gf isnt a farmer" vibes

18 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Imagine thinking we need to be stern to a guy with a work ethic like Josh Allen. 

Here is a fact, you have absolutely no knowledge of the conversations, the level of respect, or how harsh or easy Brady is on Josh. None, zero, zip. To sprout this off as "fact" is reckless and stupid. 

Especially with brady being upstairs for our games lol what do we have at all to draw that information on hahaha we've never even seen them within 5 floors of each other

3 hours ago, wppete said:

QB is not our issue. QB is our strength. Get Josh some weapons and improve the defense. 

…and improve the defensive scheme… 

I fixed it for you 👍

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

With the Bills not learning and just giving Josh what he wants in the OC coach again, they need to find a QB coach that is going to get into Josh's brain.  A guy that has been around for a while, and isn't looking to baby Allen.

One guy I'm wondering if he will do it as a "favor", is Frank Reich.  He obviously doesn't need a job, but wondering if he would come back here to try and get us over the hump.

These last two hires at QB coach, Dorsey and Brady, have been young guys that were looking to eventually be head coaches.  We don't need to go in that direction again.

Bills also need a bully at the RB position who can pound the freaking ground. A Pacheco like RB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Sounds like you're saying that JA has no room for improvement. I totally disagree with the latter. 

He definitely could use help with how to read what defenses are doing, and also with his decision-making (regarding where to throw the ball). Plenty of All-22 film from plenty of games this past season make the latter fairly obvious.

No meaningful room for improvement in terms of actual productivity.  Best is best. The entire rest of the team lags so far behind our QB play, its absurd to worry about QB play.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

With the Bills not learning and just giving Josh what he wants in the OC coach again, they need to find a QB coach that is going to get into Josh's brain.  A guy that has been around for a while, and isn't looking to baby Allen.

One guy I'm wondering if he will do it as a "favor", is Frank Reich.  He obviously doesn't need a job, but wondering if he would come back here to try and get us over the hump.

These last two hires at QB coach, Dorsey and Brady, have been young guys that were looking to eventually be head coaches.  We don't need to go in that direction again.

I think it should go the other way. Let Josh be Josh. Yes, that includes some tough decisions. But every QB has those.

I feel that we were getting what you wanted earlier in the season. That's why Josh was underperforming. He was listening to McDermott who wanted him to play a certain way.

Trying to rewire him and think more when he plays has more negative results than him playing the game in which he likes to play it does.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Process said:

The Bills need a WR that can catch the ****ing ball I could care less who the QB coach is

BTW did you see some of the amazing catches by WR's this past weekend?  Sure there were a couple of drops by one guy but man I saw a number of catches that were breathtaking.  Think about the three incomplete passes on deep balls:  one to Sherfield, one to Harty (I think) and one to Diggs.  Only the Harty miss where he laid out for the ball would have required a catch like we saw this weekend.  The simple fact is that week in and week out we seldom saw elite, spectacular caches by our receivers.

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Disagree.  Beyond Diggs, Allen does not have an above average skill player.  Now I do believe that Cook, Kincaid & Shakir have the POTENTIAL next year to move into the top tiers of play makers but they're not in that company at the present time.

And Diggs doesn't come close to matching Kelsey in the playoffs.  The other thing the Chiefs had was a much better D. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I vote for Roy Kent.

• Haha (+1) 1

Ehhh, after this season I’m leaning more toward Josh not taking the regular season seriously and getting crazy turned up in December and January. I don’t think a coach makes much of a different as far as his play is concerned. It’s all in him. 

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

BTW did you see some of the amazing catches by WR's this past weekend?  Sure there were a couple of drops by one guy but man I saw a number of catches that were breathtaking.  Think about the three incomplete passes on deep balls:  one to Sherfield, one to Harty (I think) and one to Diggs.  Only the Harty miss where he laid out for the ball would have required a catch like we saw this weekend.  The simple fact is that week in and week out we seldom saw elite, spectacular caches by our receivers.

Disagree.  Beyond Diggs, Allen does not have an above average skill player.  Now I do believe that Cook, Kincaid & Shakir have the POTENTIAL next year to move into the top tiers of play makers but they're not in that company at the present time.

And Diggs doesn't come close to matching Kelsey in the playoffs.  The other thing the Chiefs had was a much better D. 

Haters gonna hate; do you ever see any positive posts from these same people or ever see them show up after a win?  Yeah, me either. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And other than Rice those guys suck. 

Maybe but in the playoffs they made clutch catches when they needed to.  Our guys dropped footballs in the bucket.  I'd take any of those guys over Sherfield and Harty out there running routes.

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Maybe but in the playoffs they made clutch catches when they needed to.  Our guys dropped footballs in the bucket.  I'd take any of those guys over Sherfield and Harty out there running routes.

MVS did, sure. And I'd take MVS over Sherfield and Harty obviously. But he isn't the Sherfield and Harty equivalent he is the Gabe Davis equivalent.

Their depth receivers have been no shows. Skyy Moore has yet to touch the ball. Mercole Hardman had a fumble that if the Bills had executed at the end would have cost them the game and Toney's contribution these playoffs has been to rant his way out of the NFL on twitter. 

16 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

How many times is an out route not against the sidelines?

Josh needed to be told to read the defense 2,654,739 times to read the defense before throwing the ball. I can’t believe he still doesn’t do it and only scores 40 or more touchdowns with 4K+ passing yards each year. 

And, my man, if you aren’t a child at heart, in my opinion, you’re doing this life wrong. We all need the joy and laughter and carefree moments, and as adults, we also go to work and do our jobs. If my bosses spoke to me like a child because I enjoy the moments, and am a child at heart, I’d absolutely lose respect for them, and rightfully so.

19 hours ago, Low Positive said:

This thread is actually more like “The Buffalo Bills keep ruining my Sundays. I called One Bills Drive to ask them for permission to come down to the sidelines to scream at Josh Allen for making me sad, but they told me that I’m not allowed to do that. So, I formally request that the team hire a proxy yeller. And if he keeps playing poorly, this proxy yeller needs to keep yelling louder until his play improves. I coach little league, and I know this to be the ideal coaching style.”

well said.  this board is full of the OP mindset

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.