Joe Brady Officially Promoted as Bills OC!

KDIGGZ

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I hate this. I don't necessarily hate that Brady got the job. But I hate that the team didn't even attempt to complete a full and exhaustive search. We're just running it back. McDermott loves playing it safe. It's what holds him back as a coach more than anything.

I feel the same way but I also feel at the end of the day that Brady will do just fine.  Our problem is not enough playmaking outside receiver talent.  Beane gets him that and Brady will be a HC somewhere.

Edited by Scott7975

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Well… Dorsey couldn’t do it … appreciate that’s not a high bar exactly 

I honestly think Dorsey wasn’t allowed to let Josh just do everything and once McChoke realized the season was over if they didn’t run Josh, he allowed Brady to.

• Like (+1) 2

If we had hired a young coach who had been the QBs coach for one of the best offenses in football and had previously coached one of the best colleges offenses of all time, people would love this hire. 

I get it, I would have liked to see a really exhaustive search. But Brady is a good hire and I bet if a division rival had hired him, we’d be pissed McDermott didn’t do more to keep him 

• Like (+1) 1

The sensible call right now.  Brady came in, developed an identity, and let Allen loose when needed.

team played well under him.  Give him the reigns and an off-season to implement what he wants and let’s see what happens s

• Agree 1

Just now, Cray51 said:

The sensible call right now.  Brady came in, developed an identity, and let Allen loose when needed.

team played well under him.  Give him the reigns and an off-season to implement what he wants and let’s see what happens s

as long as Diggs + our new WR’s are utilized to their strengths, I’m good with it

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I don't like it.

Would like a better coordinator for offense

Can't wait for the extra tackle and run cook into a brick wall predictably every first down next season

They didn't even try

Well Brady was very good until the last 1:45 of the KC game. Then once again all situational awareness, all plays to move the chains and eat click went out the window and we once again choked a chance to go the SB. Hopefully he learned from it and will make us better next year.

• Eyeroll 1

Look he is now the OC period.  I pray he is going to punt kick the Daboll offense for good,we need a change. Josh even eluded to being excited for a little change. 

I'm not thrilled initially, BUT... I want to see what he can do with HIS offense,and that is only fair.  It's truly the only way to make true evaluation of the guy.

I say we get behind him and give him our support.

• Like (+1) 1

We all knew the job was going to Brady especially after the endorsement of Josh and the rest of the offense. I don’t hate it but don’t like the fact a more thorough search wasn’t done. While there could have been a worse hire made in typical Bills fashion this is the safest hire. 

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Look he is now the OC period.  I pray he is going to punt kick the Daboll offense for good,we need a change. Josh even eluded to being excited for a little change. 

I'm not thrilled initially, BUT... I want to see what he can do with HIS offense,and that is only fair.  It's truly the only way to make true evaluation of the guy.

I say we get behind him and give him our support.

I’d like some sort of West Coast mix. Allen is very good once he’s in a groove from hitting quick passes

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’d like some sort of West Coast mix. Allen is very good once he’s in a groove from hitting quick passes

We need to have more disciplined routes, end all the option route crap.  And YES, use the WCO concept of always having an outlet for Josh.

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

No and the poster didn’t ask about the win / loss record. That’s pretty easy to find if he wanted it.

You didn’t understand my point. Many factors why the offense numbers were worse but the wins were more under Brady. 

32 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Well Brady was very good until the last 1:45 of the KC game. Then once again all situational awareness, all plays to move the chains and eat click went out the window and we once again choked a chance to go the SB. Hopefully he learned from it and will make us better next year.

You don’t go to the SB after that win. 

At least he wants to run the ball, so I'm excited to see what he schemes up given an entire off-season.

Hopefully we target some speedy WRs & grab some more O-linemen.

Oh, and maybe bring in a kicker or two just to be thorough. Perhaps hit up some of those YouTube kickers that nail shots 70 yards out, but only in perfect conditions & street clothes 😂

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I hate this. I don't necessarily hate that Brady got the job. But I hate that the team didn't even attempt to complete a full and exhaustive search. We're just running it back. McDermott loves playing it safe. It's what holds him back as a coach more than anything.

We don’t necessarily know if they did or didn’t. They may have reached out and were declined. We only know who they actually interviewed. 

Seeing Brady took over in less than ideal circumstances, he put his offense in position to score big on the AFC Champions, and was consistent that way against many others, I’m excited about Brady getting a full offseason to get the Offense ready for next year. 

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Diggs dropped off the planet

We ran the ball more

Had no vertical passing offense

No doubt talent needs to be improved but I feel like we just hired a more conservative Ken Dorsey

Did we have a vertical pass threat for the 1st six games ? Asking for a friend

Running the ball did Bills well it seems , and something many of us had been begging for ( well me at least ) lol

I’m ok with this…. Pretty much expected it since we beat the Cowboys.

I’m more interested in who they hire as the DC.   We need a new defensive philosophy more than we need a major change in Offense. 

52 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

McD might have had his hand in that ??
it was an error in my opinion. Even if they scored you give

the ball back to mahomey with time

Brady seems competent, and probably did more than enough to earn an offseason to design the playbook and get a full year to truly own the offense and see what he can do. 

But there’s definitely a part of me that was hoping we’d bring in some fresh blood. Someone with more experience who can further develop Allen as a passer. This feels like more of the same is almost inevitable, but hopefully that ends up not being the case. 

image.thumb.png.7c62f768a862cde26f33b8d96650ce20.png

"Ignited the offense", no he made it simpler. Which is good & bad at the same time. But if you watch any of the All 22 breakdowns, you won't see any scheming of players open taking place. You'll see missed details in route running all over the field, plays that seem amateur at best. College or highschool route concepts come to mind. And that may be fine in the middle of a season after you fire your OC, but when you have an opportunity to bring in an established or experienced or above average OC, shouldn't you take it? When you have a top 3 QB on your team? In year 6-7 of your SB run? After making a poor hire previously that you had to fire midseason?

Im sorry but this is the worst hire we could've made imho. Its like a punt & a very uninspired choice to followup Dorsey. God are we really gonna waste the talent of Josh Allen?

Only thing i can really hope for is that he grows into the role & simply gets better. Smh with this one

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JMM said:

So I have mixed thoughts on this. I thought he did a pretty good job in difficult circumstances. I would like to see how he could do. On the other hand, it's clear that this process was clearly a sham, and that's not good. It's too important of a position and time for Josh and this franchise. I would have liked to seen others interviewed other than those for the Rooney rule, experienced former OC as well as up and comers.  

Well one thing is for sure, we'll know after the first half of this upcoming season if he's Dorsey 2.0 or someone more dynamic.  He has to incorporate Diggs more. He must use play action more.  He must teach Cook how to catch a damn ball.  Let's give him an offseason to build his own playbook. 

• Like (+1) 1

I sure wish we would’ve hired Ben Johnson as our HC and kept Babich as DC.

i like McD and I’m fine with retaining him, but I’d rather have Ben Johnson leading our offense

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I dont mind the hire and I think he earned it. I have high hopes that once he installs his offense that things will be much better next year. He had to make do with Dorseys vanilla crap fest. So he was limited. One thing that was obviously better was his decision making. Only the last 2 mins of the KC game did things not work out but for the most part in his stint he did well. I only hope that he brings back some sophistication to our offense like we had with Daboll and gets some people in motion and misdirection that we completely lacked with Dorsey.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

i like McD and I’m fine with retaining him, but I’d rather have Ben Johnson leading our offense

That was my hopes but Terry has a permanent man crush on Sean. 

This is a good move. The offense produced WELL after having serious problems. It reflects well on Brady that a mid season change went. We saw Kincaid go downfield, Shakier become more important and cook become a more complete player.  Besides the Steelers interviewed Arthur Smith, would you like a block head like that? Go Joe!

41 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You hope Johnson passes on the Commander’s job. McDermott should in no way be safe next year if he continues to come up short in the post season.

23 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That was my hopes but Terry has a permanent man crush on Sean. 

Eh.  I think it’s because he knows mcdermott is a coach.  And he is.  

3 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

You hope Johnson passes on the Commander’s job. McDermott should in no way be safe next year if he continues to come up short in the post season.

Yeah I do hope- but my BBFS says we won’t even hire him if we fire mcdermott and Johnson is availble. 

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

What holds him back more than anything is that he makes poor decisions, and that his defenses fold easily when facing Mahomes and Burrow

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Did we have a vertical pass threat for the 1st six games ? Asking for a friend

Running the ball did Bills well it seems , and something many of us had been begging for ( well me at least ) lol

Ehhh not really, but saw a decrease in effectiveness from our #1 weapon. 

I was also in the camp that I thought they can run the ball better, not necessarily more. They did run it more, and unfortunately got a bit too run heavy specifically on predictable downs in the last few games.

I think Brady will be as good as Allen carries these guys, unless they put a ton of YAC talent around him or find a way to bring back to deep and intermediate passing game 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Since the Bills are keeping McDermott, this is an obvious one to me. Got the same production with less turnovers per game and brought more balance and run game. Reducing the turnovers is how Buffalo can go from 2 seed to 1 seed next year.

16 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

Since the Bills are keeping McDermott, this is an obvious one to me. Got the same production with less turnovers per game and brought more balance and run game. Reducing the turnovers is how Buffalo can go from 2 seed to 1 seed next year.

No.  Increasing the explosives is how they can get the one seed.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm hoping that Brady laid out his plan during the interview and it was enough to make Mc D 

feel confident that this year wont repeat itself next year.   

I'm sure Mc D is smart enough that the last thing he wants is to replay this year and have to fire his OC 

again mid year.   

7 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m still a little disappointed in the KC loss to have coherent Bills related thoughts, but the passing aspect worries. Brady actually did a good job, but we don’t know if he can scheme a reliable passing game. We scored points, and played good ball, but I don’t know if that’s a sustainable style long term. 

Joe Brady didn’t miss those Thriws Josh did.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.