Johnson clears protocol, Bernard not expected to play

Process

Sounds about right.

I figured he was out when we elevated Klein, since Dodson was practicing all week and should play.

How effective would he be on a bum ankle anyway? I always try to remember that player health isn’t binary. 

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That’s remarkable. From a pure fandom perspective I’m glad he is a go. 

From a human perspective, this is this guys 5th concussion of his career and he can play in 6 days? Nobody in the NFL gives a shirt about player health or safety, and the independent neuro’s must be on  the take.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 4

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Loss of Bernard sucks but of you had to get only one of the two for the Chiefs game, Johnson probably the better one to have.  

Tough decision if you can only have one. Taron's the better choice for coverage on Rice underneath but I think Bernard would be better for Kelce. 

• Agree 2

Losing Bernard, Benford, Spector and Rapp off this Defense hurts .. but we have to give credit to Beane, because this Defense still has:

Floyd - Jones - Oliver - Rousseau

Von - Settle - Joseph or Poona - AJE

Lawson

Dodson - Klein - Williams

Douglas - Johnson - Jackson/Elam

Hyde - Poyer - Lewis

Most teams would love to have that level of talent on Defense. 

More than enough for McDermott to show us why he took over the Defense and is the guy to take us to the next level.  

Advance, stay healthy, and a few .. if not all.. of those guys will be back next weekend. 

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

From a human perspective, this is this guys 5th concussion of his career and he can play in 6 days? Nobody in the NFL gives a shirt about player health or safety, and the independent neuro’s must be on  the take.

I disagree.  The Bills organization has repeatedly demonstrated that they are conservative when it comes to player safety.  I have never felt like they rushed anyone back to soon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 12
  • Thank you (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Sounds about right.

I figured he was out when we elevated Klein, since Dodson was practicing all week and should play.

How effective would he be on a bum ankle anyway? I always try to remember that player health isn’t binary. 

Klein was going to be pulled up no matter what.  He replaces spector at the very least.  In this case he may replace both 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

I disagree.  The Bills organization has repeatedly demonstrated that they are conservative when it comes to player safety.  I have never felt like they rushed anyone back to soon.

Didn’t Taron say he felt fine to go back in last week? In general, the NFL just cares about money but in this case I don’t think they were reckless. I pray that proves to be the case.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Loss of Bernard sucks but of you had to get only one of the two for the Chiefs game, Johnson probably the better one to have.  

ya thank God, didn't Lewis fill in for him last week and got beat a few times

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Guys in host of other sports have missed 365 + days for a single concussion. The league has zero players with roster sizes 2x-3x. 

Take your kid to Dent neuro or the Cleveland clinic the day after their 5th concussion and see if they clear them to play sports 6 days later.

They won’t do it.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Agree with CincyBIllsFan. The Bills under McBeane have demonstrated repeatedly their patience and wisdom in bringing players back slowly from injury.

I believe there are teams who would be dressing Terrell Bernard today but not the Bills.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Klein was going to be pulled up no matter what.  He replaces spector at the very least.  In this case he may replace both 

Exactly correct. They don't want to see Tyler Matakevich playing LB in this game. Whether as a starter or a backup, Klein was gonna get the callup.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

All Injuries are bad, but a concussion can compromise the mental part of the game, not the athletic part.

Every player on both teams is a bit nicked up by this time in the season

Dodson

Williams

Klein

Matakevich

That is likely to be the extent of our LB depth today. It's certainly not ideal. The Bills pretty much always have 5 LBs active on gameday, but they are left with no choice if Bernard can't play.

I would guess they'll go Dodson at MLB and Williams at WLB. If Williams is completely lost they'll pull him for Klein, or in a real emergency they'll bring Poyer down into that spot and start Cam Lewis at safety.

• Shocked 1

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

No one has said concussion. The term “concussion protocol” is a waste basket term now. You can have a stinger and be in the “protocol “

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Yea.. Lewis seems decent as 3rd Safety.   

Slot Corner.. not so much. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Agree with CincyBIllsFan. The Bills under McBeane have demonstrated repeatedly their patience and wisdom in bringing players back slowly from injury.

I believe there are teams who would be dressing Terrell Bernard today but not the Bills.

Exactly correct. They don't want to see Tyler Matakevich playing LB in this game. Whether as a starter or a backup, Klein was gonna get the callup.

Playoff timelines are different than regular season. This is the most important home game this team has played in 30 years. This team played Beasley on a broken leg. They’ll let anybody go who gets doctors clearance for this one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Playing at a high level through injury is a necessary skill in the NFL. 

If Bernard somehow gets cleared, it’s because he, and the team, are confident he can play at a high level.

Nature of the beast.. pretty normal (even for guys we all thought were healthy) to schedule surgery after the seasons end. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Sounds about right.

We are without Spector so the elevation makes sense anyways

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

Guys in host of other sports have missed 365 + days for a single concussion. The league has zero players with roster sizes 2x-3x. 

Take your kid to Dent neuro or the Cleveland clinic the day after their 5th concussion and see if they clear them to play sports 6 days later.

They won’t do it.  

I don’t believe he had a concussion.  I believe it was precautionary.    

• Like (+1) 2

Numerous crappy teams and teams with scoring defenses ranked in the 20s, two in the low 20s, have held KC to 21 or fewer points.  Six in fact.  

The 30th, 17 points.  

The 27th, 19 and 9 points. 

The 24th, 13. 

The 23rd, 20.

If our 4th ranked scoring defense cannot manage to hold them to 21 or fewer, even with injuries, which are common to every team ...  

In fact, one of the teams we beat to get here, a win without which we wouldn't have made it, had their starting QB, a top one, their only decent starting WR, also a top one, and one of the best DEs in the league all out.  As merely one example.  

Same with our offense in our own house.  

KC is as offensively weak as we'll ever see them with Mahomes as QB.  

GO BILLS!!!  Get this done!  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Mango said:

There are different levels of concussions just like there different levels of sprains.

https://mayfieldclinic.com/pe-concussion.htm#:~:text=Grade I%3A no loss of,for more than 24 hours.

To claim the independent neurologist needs to be the take is slander.

3 hours ago, Mango said:

They won’t do it.  

If the player is fine with the risk, who am I to get in his way, there’s been players who’ve retired early due to concussion risk and good for them, but it was their choice.

Life is full of risk/reward decisions for all of us to make.

Edited by julian
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Mango said:

A charitable interpretation is he had a very minor concussion that they wouldn’t even pull you from the game in the old days, and they are being extremely overly cautious having him in the protocol in the first place.

An uncharitable interpretation is he was rushed through the process to be able to play in a big game to the detriment of his long term health.

Hard to know for sure from an outsider’s perspective.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Bernard is a game changer, so that one hurts A LOT. 

He certainly has a knack of always being around the ball. He’s Mr. “Johnny on the spot.” His coverage skills and blitzing will also be missed.

• Agree 1

I believe in the past we have used Siran Neal to man up on Kelce. I think the middle 3 personnel packages will have to be very creative today. I could see weird ones like Dodson/Neal/Johnson, or Dodson/Poyer/Johnson (with Lewis or Hamlin as the SS) to go along with the traditional packages. I think guys are gonna get moved around a lot as a means of papering over some awful injury luck and simultaneously keeping Mahomes off balance with what he's seeing.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

There are different levels of concussions just like there different levels of sprains.

https://mayfieldclinic.com/pe-concussion.htm#:~:text=Grade I%3A no loss of,for more than 24 hours.

To claim the independent neurologist needs to be the take is slander.

Cool. 

Im not a neuro, but I have one at the Cleveland Clinic and another at Mount Sinai, and both have said that the NFL concussion protocol isn’t what they would practice at either hospital. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bernard wasn't covering Kelce, and Dodson helps more against the run.

Not the worst loss for this game. Johnson is more valuable with his ability to cover Kelce/slot receivers.

McDermott has enough on the D line and on the backend to limit a KC offense that hasn't been potent all season

• Awesome! (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

McDermott is going to have to come up with some serious **** to shut down the crybaby with all these injuries.

I think we'd most all agree we need KC to have a slight off day given so many injuries 

• Disagree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.