Good news out of South Beach

Draconator

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What’s the alternative? They have to sign him. 

He has a 5th year they could let him play on it, they could use that 5th year he has left to trade him to help try and find the actual solution. Obviously this is good for us but he's not it, ripping off the band-aide and getting what they can out of him is their best option.

• Agree 1

I still think Tua is an elite franchise QB.

Obviously at some point though he's going to have to win a big game just like Dak Prescott who has also posted silly regular season numbers for years but came up small in the playoffs/big games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 9

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

Obviously at some point though he's going to have to win a big game just like Dak Prescott who has also posted silly regular season numbers for years but came up small in the playoffs/big games.

Level with me. 

Is it acid?

• Haha (+1) 2

I don't think that anybody in Miami's front office, including the owner, has the stones to make the difficult and painful decision here

Tua is never going to be more than he is right now.  He doesn't have the physical tools or leadership abilities to be what Josh Allen & Patrick Mahomes are today

He's just good enough to keep winning in September & October and in warm weather - when conditions are right and he can play in rhythm with talented teammates

But even though this franchise is probably scared to death of not having a high performing QB, the right move is to trade him now, rip off the band-aid of other high $ contracts and start over

But they'll never do it, and I for one am thrilled...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

If I were the Dolphins front office, you probably stay the course considering they almost won the division despite a roster ravaged by key injuries as the season wore on and a few plays go different in the finale against the Bills they might have just pulled it out.

Either way that roster is still loaded and oozing with premium talent....staying healthy a big problem though similar to the Bills and they key guys in recent years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

I mean the thing holding them back from doing the deal last offseason was injury concerns.  And he played every meaningful snap.  He made the pro bowl, was an MVP candidate, and led the league in passing yards.  

He didn't play well the last couple of games, and injuries had something to do with that (offensive line combinations all season, waddle at the end of the year, achane missing time etc).  They also seemed to struggle to adjust when teams took away their "fastball", and playcalling seemed to get away from the run game and just general issues with making adjustments offensively. 

Unfortunately by waiting, they lost a ton of contract leverage - his poor performance down the season not withstanding.

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

This is just a repeat of the situation the NY Giants found themselves in with Daniel Jones. I don't care about athletic comparisons or what each does better than the other, the situation for the franchises are the same. Both of them are meh QB's that are injury prone and will never lead a team to a SB. Still, the franchises themselves are between a rock and a hard place. What's the option if you don't re-sign them? If you do re-sign them then you're really just setting your franchise back a few years. The Giants re-signed Daniel Jones. We saw how that played out this year. One can only hope Miami is just as stupid and the financial commitment hamstrings them for the foreseeable future. :thumbsup:

32 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

IMG_6219.jpeg

How dare you beat me to this meme!

When I think about this offense, you know who I think could excel?  Tyrod.  He has a beautiful deep ball, good mobility, and can hit the predetermined throws.  They both struggle when it comes to their 3rd and beyond reads.  Granted, TT is a lot older than Tua, but he'd come 30 mil a year cheaper. 

If I'm Miami, I let Tua search for trade partners so his agent can see what his value is.  

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

This is just a repeat of the situation the NY Giants found themselves in with Daniel Jones. I don't care about athletic comparisons or what each does better than the other, the situation for the franchises are the same. Both of them are meh QB's that are injury prone and will never lead a team to a SB. Still, the franchises themselves are between a rock and a hard place. What's the option if you don't re-sign them? If you do re-sign them then you're really just setting your franchise back a few years. The Giants re-signed Daniel Jones. We saw how that played out this year. One can only hope Miami is just as stupid and the financial commitment hamstrings them for the foreseeable future. :thumbsup:

Exactly.  Tua and Jones are worth 40+ mil, but when top 5 money is 50+ these days, that's just what you have to pay a QB you deem just good enough to not be a journeyman.  Tua without Tyreek doesn't have anywhere near the numbers he does, and I think that's apparent to everyone. 

But sadly, for the Dolphins, it's either pay him 45 mil or try again from scratch with someone new and hope for the best.  

If it's me, and I have so many players on their rookie deals still, I let Tua ride his full 5 year contract and make the decision afterwards.  Lock down the starting pieces around him, see your cap situation, see if Tua can stay healthy, then make choices.  I would not be in a rush to lock Tua down.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If I were the Dolphins front office, you probably stay the course considering they almost won the division despite a roster ravaged by key injuries as the season wore on and a few plays go different in the finale against the Bills they might have just pulled it out.

Either way that roster is still loaded and oozing with premium talent....staying healthy a big problem though similar to the Bills and they key guys in recent years.

miami has done everything they can to stack that roster, and the still completely imploded in december yet again.  the team is soft and just isn't built for late in the season.  if you can be more successful with this roster, it likely comes down to qb, coaching or both.  once miami re-signs tua, the bills will be the division winners for years to come.  get ready for it.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Bwahahahahaha, Tua elite, Bwahahahahaha, 😂🤣😆  

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I support your team paying him whole heartedly.

43 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I don't think that anybody in Miami's front office, including the owner, has the stones to make the difficult and painful decision here

Tua is never going to be more than he is right now.  He doesn't have the physical tools or leadership abilities to be what Josh Allen & Patrick Mahomes are today

He's just good enough to keep winning in September & October and in warm weather - when conditions are right and he can play in rhythm with talented teammates

But even though this franchise is probably scared to death of not having a high performing QB, the right move is to trade him now, rip off the band-aid of other high $ contracts and start over

But they'll never do it, and I for one am thrilled...

Which is insane it could legit be one of the smarter GM moves, with his inflated numbers and accolades they might get something good trading him on that 5th year. The longer they wait the worse it's going to be.

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Perfect!  Miami remains just good enough to keep us on our toes each season, but never a real threat to beat us in a game that matters. This is the ideal outcome for BIlls fans.

Except with that new QB contract fitting in all those high priced weapons on offense that Tua needs to be able to get to his timing throws becomes much harder.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What’s the alternative? They have to sign him. 

See if Minnesota would take him on his 5th year option in exchange for Kirk Cousins. Maybe add in an additional piece going away that could make their cap situation better. Not a Cousins fan, but he'd be a better option than Tua in that offense.

53 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

They are 2-6 in the month of December in the last 2 years.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This is not a bad thing for Miami.  Tua is a solid productive QB.  Miami's problem is Josh Allen is a unicorn and he plays in Buffalo.  Nobody Miami could ever acquire is going to be able to put the team on his shoulders in crunch time the way Josh Allen can.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.