Ravens/Texans: Are the Texans really being disrespected this badly?

After watching morning coverage, I am astounded as to why everyone is putting the Ravens into the AFC Championship Game in pen as if it's a given. The explosive offense that Stroud provides along with a solid running game with our old friend Singletary should give the Ravens fits.

What say you? I think this game will be a close one and it would not surprise me in the least if the Texans won.

• Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Outside of the fact that they played consistently good football throughout the year, their amount of playoff experience and their overall coaching experience gives them a big edge over the Texans going into the game.

But you have to play the game and the young, upstart Texans could pull off a monster upset. It's when nobody gives you a chance that sometimes teams can be the most dangerous.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

After watching morning coverage, I am astounded as to why everyone is putting the Ravens into the AFC Championship Game in pen as if it's a given. The explosive offense that Stroud provides along with a solid running game with our old friend Singletary should give the Ravens fits.

What say you? I think this game will be a close one and it would not surprise me in the least if the Texans won.

ravens by at least 2 scores

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Dubie54 said:

Outside of the fact that they played consistently good football throughout the year, their amount of playoff experience and their overall coaching experience gives them a big edge over the Texans going into the game.

But you have to play the game and the young, upstart Texans could pull off a monster upset. It's when nobody gives you a chance that sometimes teams can be the most dangerous.    

You mean their 1 Playoff win with Lamar against the Titans who were like a mirror of a team great at getting into the playoffs to run into teams that could gameplan against them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If the Ravens come out slow and flat after 2 weeks off and Houston can jump out to an early lead it puts the pressure on Lamar to win as a passer. That would be a huge advantage for the Texans. 

If the Texans want to pull the upset this is the game script that gets them there. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I think the Texans have a better chance than the Browns would and that was the team many were hoping would knock them out of playoffs.

I think the only reason folks thought the Browns had a shot was good old fashioned divisional hijinks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If the Ravens come out slow and flat after 2 weeks off and Houston can jump out to an early lead it puts the pressure on Lamar to win as a passer. That would be a huge advantage for the Texans. 

If the Texans want to pull the upset this is the game script that gets them there. 

Texans are a team that could absolutely take an early lead and the Ravens are not a team I like chasing.

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I really hope they knock off cocky Baltimore and shut Jackson down.  Then we beat KC and crush them on way to beating SF in the superbowl.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Add also that the Ravens (with Lamar Jackson) have not exactly lit it up in the playoffs. I believe they have one win to their credit.

One of the losses were to Bills were Leslie Frazier crafted a defense to keep him sealed in pocket and not be able to run for yards most of game which other teams with the talent needed copied.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2021/01/16/lamar-jackson-baltimore-ravens-knocked-flat-buffalo-bills-big-plays/4195244001/

Jackson couldn’t lead the Ravens to as much as a touchdown against a much-maligned Bills defense that kept him bottled up in the pocket for much of the night. 

Trent Murphy was taken off inactive list and he was instructed to not try to tackle him in pocket giving him chance to make big play just contain him.

Later in game he did tackle him and knocked him out of game.

• Like (+1) 1

Regarding the Texans, the only thing that shocked me was how bad they beat a vastly overrated Browns team. I felt all along this was one of the easier games to pick in the WC round, but didn't see that type of shallacking.

But I still tend to believe that the Texans likely aren't as good as they showed against the Browns and will come back to earth against the Ravens.

But imagine if the Texans do win on Saturday....obviously that means the winner of the Bills/Chiefs gets to host them in the AFCCG next week.

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This is the reason I think Texans have a reasonable shot at winning, early lead puts pressure on Lamar. 

• Agree 2

Texans had an impressive season but it's still a rookie QB on the road in the playoffs, vs a top team. I wouldn't take away much from that Browns game. Browns defense may have been the most overrated defense in NFL history. 

Stroud looks like the best QB in the NFL...as a rookie. I'm not a fan of Lamar but the brand of football they play is efficient and limits mistakes. Ravens will almost always be good whereas Houston can be great or bad, usually not a lot in between. So the game can go either way but Houston can definitely win if they limit mistakes and get their big plays

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Process said:

Texans had an impressive season but it's still a rookie QB on the road in the playoffs, vs a top team. I wouldn't take away much from that Browns game. Browns defense may have been the most overrated defense in NFL history. 

Houston played in Baltimore week 1 of this season. Stroud's first NFL game...on the road against that D.

Stroud went 28/44 242 yards with 0TDs, but also 0INT. He's gotten better. Does that mean he'll light it up this time? 🤷🏼‍♂️ But it shows to me at least that on the road in what many rookies can find overwhelming...he can do well. They have a real shot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

They played each other week 1 and was a blow out.

natural they think blow out again….

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Stroud is a baller. He’s going to be a good one for years to come. They will at least give the Ravens a run for their money. On a side note, I love seeing Motor having success outside of Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Regarding the Texans, the only thing that shocked me was how bad they beat a vastly overrated Browns team. I felt all along this was one of the easier games to pick in the WC round, but didn't see that type of shallacking.

But I still tend to believe that the Texans likely aren't as good as they showed against the Browns and will come back to earth against the Ravens.

But imagine if the Texans do win on Saturday....obviously that means the winner of the Bills/Chiefs gets to host them in the AFCCG next week.

Your prognostications are a thing of legend. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I can't see Texans winning.

It's one thing to beat Joe flacco at home, it's another to go on the road in a hostile/cold environment against the best team in football.

I don't think it will be a blowout.

But will say like 30-20 ravens

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The Ravens had the best record in football, even after sitting their starters in the final week.

The Texans needed a win in the final game to scrape their way in.

There is also a natural skepticism about the Texans, considering they were among the league's worst teams just a year ago.  Not to mention they are starting a rookie QB, who is bound to hit the wall at some point (right?)

With all that said, I would not be a bit surprised if Houston wins this.  

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The Ravens had the best record in football, even after sitting their starters in the final week.

The Texans needed a win in the final game to scrape their way in.

There is also a natural skepticism about the Texans, considering they were among the league's worst teams just a year ago.  Not to mention they are starting a rookie QB, who is bound to hit the wall at some point (right?)

With all that said, I would not be a bit surprised if Houston wins this.  

Didn't one Pat Mahomes take his team to the AFC Championship in his rookie year?  Stroud is a stud.  He could hit a wall, or he could put up 400 yards and 4TDs as well.  And I know this is a new year...but Lamar has yet to show he's "the dude" come playoff time.  As a bettor, I wouldn't touch this game.

Look, they have a chance. But legitimately:

• The Ravens have been playing impressive football. They smashed the Niners and Dolphins offenses which were supposed to be the most explosive in the league. Now, I have my issues with those teams QBs but they are playing fantastic zone defense which unless you are Tom Brady is tough to beat.
  • The Ravens are experienced. Lamar might not have the best playoff track record, but he has a track record. Stroud is having an incredible rookie year, but he's still a rookie.
  • The Browns were just waiting for the wheels to come off. They ran what, 5 starting QBs? Joe Flacco had a great run, but his entire MO has been stretches of elite play followed by a few dismal weeks (not unlike Josh). Houston was doing well, but the game didn't get out of hand until 2 back to back pick sixes.
  • Ravens are rested coming off a bye and are at home.

I'm not saying it's impossible. But it's a tall order.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

• The Ravens have been playing impressive football. They smashed the Niners and Dolphins offenses which were supposed to be the most explosive in the league. Now, I have my issues with those teams QBs but they are playing fantastic zone defense which unless you are Tom Brady is tough to beat.
  • The Ravens are experienced. Lamar might not have the best playoff track record, but he has a track record. Stroud is having an incredible rookie year, but he's still a rookie.
  • The Browns were just waiting for the wheels to come off. They ran what, 5 starting QBs? Joe Flacco had a great run, but his entire MO has been stretches of elite play followed by a few dismal weeks (not unlike Josh). Houston was doing well, but the game didn't get out of hand until 2 back to back pick sixes.

Didn't the Ravens also blowout the Lions early in the season as well.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

ravens by at least 2 scores

Ive got Houston upsetting the Ravens.  

Lamar has not played since week 17, they are coming in cold off a bye as a team, and Houston is playing on house money right now free and fast.  Ravens offense has been mediocre more than its been good/great, and Houston has an underrated defense.  Lamar and the Ravens historically have not been a dangerous playoff team either.  

All due respect to the Texans, and Stroud, and DeMeco Ryans. Great job this year.

But they're gonna get blown out playing outside in January against a veteran team and veteran coach. Ravens defense will shut Stroud down.

I'll be cheering for the Texans, but I'd put my money on the Ravens.

• Agree 3

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

All due respect to the Texans, and Stroud, and DeMeco Ryans. Great job this year.

But they're gonna get blown out playing outside in January against a veteran team and veteran coach. Ravens defense will shut Stroud down.

I'll be cheering for the Texans, but I'd put my money on the Ravens.

Both the Texans and Packers are playing with house money this weekend. Sure, they want to win but no matter what happens both had a great season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I get why you are saying this, but did you actually watch the Niners game?  The Ravens crushed them because Brock threw 4 INT's - however, 3 of those INT's were on tipped passes.  It was more about it just being one of those games where Ravens kept getting the ball on short fields on some bad breaks for the Niners.  I guarantee if they played again tomorrow they would not come close to replicating that same game against the Niners.  Doesn't mean they couldn't beat the Niners again, but the nature of that game was more on some bad breaks you can't just bank on every week like tipping 3 balls into INT's.  

Ravens, like any team really, are very dangerous when they are winning the turnover battle because they can run the ball so well and can control the game.  But when the Ravens aren't getting those turnovers, their offense isn't something I think anyone needs to fear.  

And Stroud has been pretty sensational on protecting the ball this year, especially for a rookie QB.  So if Houston just doesn't turn the ball over, I think their firepower on offense is going to be tough for the Ravens offense to keep up with.  

If I'm a Ravens fan, I'm nervous that Houston just won back to back win or go home games.  They put every ounce of energy and preparation into winning those 2 games (vs Indy and Cleveland).  Meanwhile the Ravens starters are sitting around for 3 weeks.  I don't think there's a switch you can turn on, so it will be interesting to see how sharp Baltimore is in the first half.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1

The Ravens have been the best and most consistent team in the league in 2023. The ease with which they dismantled the 49ers was shocking. Lamar Jackson looks to be at his physical and psychological peak. They play well in all facets of the game and are getting TE Mark Andrews back.

The Texans are getting exponentially better with each game. That Browns defense they humiliated was THE best in the league. Ryans has them believing and Stroud is an absolute star. 

If momentum is what counts at this time of year, Houston has it. While they lost to the Jets in the cold, they beat the Bengals with Burrow in Cincy in November so I don't think weather is a big factor.

It is hard for me to imagine the Texans pulling off the upset but I think they'll cover the 10 points and keep it close.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think the Texans have a better chance than the Browns would and that was the team many were hoping would knock them out of playoffs.

After watching that massacre on Saturday I'd be hard-pressed to disagree.  I fell victim to the "Cleveland is scary" sentiment...but they got abused.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Didn't the Ravens also blowout the Lions early in the season as well.

Pretty much. Blowout wins against the Lions, Niners and Dolphins. Split with the Browns. 

It seems that, like the Bills, they will play down to opponents a bit but all loses came to teams who had winning records. Of their losses all but one came from inside their division and division games are flukey. (See Bills, Buffalo 2023) and the only reason why they lost their last game was that they ran out their backups in a monsoon vs a Steelers team that was desperate.

Now, I will never discount the possibility of Playoff Lamar showing up but this has been the best receiving group he's ever had.

For note: here are his numbers.

Completions/Attempts  CMP%    Yards     YPA  TD   INT

2019 Wild Card              14/25                  48.3        194       6.7     2      1

2020 Divisional              31/59                  52.5        365       6.2    1       2

2021 Wild Card               17/24                  70.8        179        7.5    0       1

2021 Divisional               14/24                  58.3        162        6.8    0      1  (Pick 6, knocked out of game with concussion)

• Like (+1) 1

This strikes me as the type of game where the Texans exploded and people will give them a chance to pull the upset only for the Ravens to eat them alive and win like 40-14. 

Then everyone will hype the Ravens as unstoppable against the Bills/Chiefs and then the Bills/Chiefs win a close type game against them 

Texans defense is the type of defense that can beat Lamar in my opinion

Curious what the weather is projected to be

If Baltimore starts slow and let's Houston stick around they could be in trouble 

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

This strikes me as the type of game where the Texans exploded and people will give them a chance to pull the upset only for the Ravens to eat them alive and win like 40-14. 

Then everyone will hype the Ravens as unstoppable against the Bills/Chiefs and then the Bills/Chiefs win a close type game against them 

It's how these things go, same will be said if the bills blow the chiefs out or if the chiefs beat the bills on the road 

It's the NFL script

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

They played each other week 1 and was a blow out.

natural they think blow out again….

Blow out, really?  Texans marginally out gained them and time of possession was close to even,

Gee, do you think the rookie starting his first game in the NFL of week 1 will have improved over and entire season and one monster win already in the playoffs?

CJ Stroud is elite, I will say, imo , he is as good , right now as ANY qb in the league and that includes Josh Allen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.