Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Dan Quinn immediately jumps to mind. But the timing on this...wonder if they will make a hard run at Vrabel.

I just realized we owe Vrabel. We should send him something for beating Miami and Jacksonville. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I just realized we owe Vrabel. We should send him something for beating Miami and Jacksonville. 

Well, in the long run beating Jacksonville didn't do much for us. Perhaps we can send him a lovely Edible Arraignments for the Miami game. 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Saleh should get an iron clad multi decade extension. Woody Johnson should probably give him a part of team ownership to really lock it in. 

It would be as sweet as when the Dolphins have to extend Tua.

• Haha (+1) 1

If I were Vrabel, I would stay far from New England.  Expectations are sky high there, even at the beginning of a rebuild.  He is following in the shoes of arguably the greatest of all-time.  There are going to be his choice of suitors which would be better circumstances.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Fun fact, Pete Carroll's first NFL job was in 1984 as defensive backs coach for the Buffalo Bills. He took over for Jerry Glanville who became DC of the Houston Oilers. Monte Kiffin was also on the staff in 1984.

Ah, Jerry Glanville. 

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It sounds like the Carroll situation is that the Seahawks want to move on, but are leery about ungraciously showing a long tenured and Super Bowl winning coach the door, so they are promoting him to "advisor"

Robert Kraft is now phoning the estate of Paul Allen to find out how they did it.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills could sign him as an additional staff and if Bills get ring he does too.

15 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Robert Kraft is now phoning the estate of Paul Allen to find out how they did it.

Maybe Seahawks and Cheats will swap coaches.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I counted 9, assuming Pierce gets the Raiders job and Belichick coaches next season somewhere. That's hardly a restricted club.  

Who are the 2 I missed?  

1. Jonathan Gannon
  2. John Harbaugh
  3. Sean McDermott
  4. Matt Eberflus
  5. DeMeco Ryans
  6. Shane Steichen
  7. Bill Belichick
  8. Dennis Allen
  9. Robert Saleh
  10. Mike Tomlin
  11. Todd Bowles

22 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

I know it’s not the NFL, but it’s reported that Nick Saban is retiring. Not sure if it’s legit. Couldn’t copy the post.

Report: Alabama Head Coach Nick Saban to Retire

According to reports from Chris Low the seven-time national champion is walking away from the sport.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/football/report-alabama-head-coach-nick-saban-to-retire

11 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Vrabel will most likely end up in New England, and he'll be the best coach in the division.

They will only really be missing that QB before being a force to be reckoned with

You can never be the best coach without a Franchise QB.  And Franchise QBs don't fall off the sky.  Go Bills !!!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Salah went 7-10 without a functioning QB.

Writing this without the entire story makes it seem great. They beat:

1 .Buffalo - if the Bills run the ball up 10+ in the second half game is over.

2. The Pats 😂

3. Denver the team that gave up 70 prior to getting better later in the season

4. The Panthers 😂

5. The Eagles - nice win

6. The Commanders 😂

7. Texans - he schemed well vs a rookie QB

Tell me again how he's a good coach 

31 minutes ago, DCOrange said:
  1. Jonathan Gannon
  2. John Harbaugh
  3. Sean McDermott
  4. Matt Eberflus
  5. DeMeco Ryans
  6. Shane Steichen
  7. Bill Belichick
  8. Dennis Allen
  9. Robert Saleh
  10. Mike Tomlin
  11. Todd Bowles

Yep, I missed Gannon, but Steichen has always been offense.  I thought Harbaugh was Special Teams, but since he was a defensive assistant at times and in his final year before getting the Ravens job, I'll concede that one too.  So 2/3.  

7 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

New QB or next generational WR in Marvin Harrison Jr? or a possible trade down if they have faith in Fields. 

Five years ago I would have said take a QB no matter what. But I've changed my tune on this. I think QBs like Hurts and Tua and Purdy have shown that having a good QB plus elite weapons is maybe the best path to a Super Bowl. Especially if the QB is mobile which naturally increases the margin for error. You need a great defense too, and the Bears are close. They could trade down for a boatload of picks, draft MHJ (giving them arguably two #1 WRs with DJ Moore already there), build up the OL and defense, and head into 2024 ready to make waves in a relatively average division. I sincerely think they could compete for a Super Bowl next year if they have a great draft, and they'll likely still have several high picks in the 2025 draft from the trade down.

Not an easy decision but I'd ride with Fields and try to build the most elite possible team around him.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Five years ago I would have said take a QB no matter what. But I've changed my tune on this. I think QBs like Hurts and Tua and Purdy have shown that having a good QB plus elite weapons is maybe the best path to a Super Bowl. Especially if the QB is mobile which naturally increases the margin for error. You need a great defense too, and the Bears are close. They could trade down for a boatload of picks, draft MHJ (giving them arguably two #1 WRs with DJ Moore already there), build up the OL and defense, and head into 2024 ready to make waves in a relatively average division. I sincerely think they could compete for a Super Bowl next year if they have a great draft, and they'll likely still have several high picks in the 2025 draft from the trade down.

Not an easy decision but I'd ride with Fields and try to build the most elite possible team around him.

MHJ is just too good to pass up, imo. Especially when you have even a half-decent QB.

Plus, I'm not sold on Caleb Williams as such a sure thing.

MHJ #1, the best OT at #9, then Defense the rest of they way. Maybe grab a Center in the mid/late rounds.

The only argument I can agree with for picking Williams is it kicks the QB Contract can down the road a few more year as Fields is already going into his 4th year.

But I think they can still pivot away from Fields before they have to pay him, and will at least have the foundation set for any other QB they acquire in 2026.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But I think they can still pivot away from Fields before they have to pay him, and will at least have the foundation set for any other QB they acquire in 2026.

If the Bears aren't totally sold on Fields, they should draft a QB with the top pick. Doubling down is better than hitching the entire wagon to Fields and missing on a rare chance of drafting #1

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If the Bears aren't totally sold on Fields, they should draft a QB with the top pick. Doubling down is better than hitching the entire wagon to Fields and missing on a rare chance of drafting #1

And drafting Bryce Young. :thumbsup:

Obviously, if they are certain they are ready to move on now, sure. But from my limited viewpoint, it's tough for me to pass up the talent they could add to the team over yet another shot-in-the-dark QB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.