Jets cut Dalvin Cook

Einstein

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dalvin-cook-jets-mutually-agree-to-part-ways

Running back Dalvin Cook’s short tenure with the Jets is coming to an end.

Cook’s agents at LAA Sports announced on Tuesday, via Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, that their client and the Jets have mutually agreed to part ways. The hope is for Cook to catch on with a team going to the playoffs and he will be subject to waivers once his departure from the Jets becomes official.

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Perhaps the least surprising story of the entire season was Dalvin Cook being ineffective for the Jets 

I remember the offseason when people were calling for the Jets to take the AFC by storm because of Aaron Rodgers and then Dalvin Cook. Like they were amassing a pro bowl team that nobody could match. And then boom, 4 minutes into the season Rodgers is down and Cook….. well, wasn’t every really that special. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I just think it’s bull#### teams cut vets at this point of the season and they can join a team for the playoffs.

If you became a free agent after week, let’s say 12 for arguments sake, you should just be guaranteed your salary until the end of the season and not be able to join another squad.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Probably the most non-sensical pickup of any of the Jets signings this season.   I understand that they weren't sure about  Breece Hall coming off his ACL, but they already had Ty Johnson and Michael Carter and surely they could have come up with an insurance policy cheaper than Dalvin Cook.  Complete idiocy by Joe Douglas.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What's crazy is that he had over 1,000 yards rushing, almost 300 yards receiving, and 10 TDs just last year. 

1 minute ago, Billy Claude said:

Probably most non-sensical pickup of any of the Jets signings this season.   I understand that they weren't sure about  Breece Hall coming off his ACL, but they already had Ty Johnson and Michael Carter and surely they could have come up an insurance policy cheaper than Dalvin Cook.  Complete idiocy by Joe Douglas.

Your mistake is believing that Joe Douglas is the GM of the NY Football Jets. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

I remember the offseason when people were calling for the Jets to take the AFC by storm because of Aaron Rodgers and then Dalvin Cook. Like they were amassing a pro bowl team that nobody could match. And then boom, 4 minutes into the season Rodgers is down and Cook….. well, wasn’t every really that special. 

I wonder how much Rodgers really would’ve helped…he’s pretty limited mobility wise and that oline is rough.  We probably still would’ve split our games with them 

1 minute ago, Coldfronts said:

I bet you have been waiting all season long to say that

You won't believe me but I haven't. I had no idea that wrong Cook will be released. I am just sitting on my toilet and it was the first though which I had when I read the title.

• Haha (+1) 1

People dumping on Dalvin doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Breece was healthy and always gonna be the primary ball carrier.  Dalvin was there to be another piece in a Rodgers based offense that could run and catch the ball out of the backfield.  But Rodgers went down and all that was left was a terrible OL, QB, and OC.  Dalvin doing little in a low use scenario on a truly awful offense doesn't mean he is shot and couldn't still have some value to a contending team.

Don't be surprised if KC or Balt sign him for the post season.  He would have value on both teams right now.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I wonder how much Rodgers really would’ve helped…he’s pretty limited mobility wise and that oline is rough.  We probably still would’ve split our games with them 

Yeah I didn’t think Rodgers would be all that great anyway. The dude is a fossil now. Was expected that he would miss some time because of his age anyway. I have no doubt they would have been better but for all the extra games they would have won, they would have taken some away from teams that we were also in contention with. Like the Phins, Pats, Chiefs 

9 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

You won't believe me but I haven't. I had no idea that wrong Cook will be released. I am just sitting on my toilet and it was the first though which I had when I read the title.

I get some of my best thinking done like that.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Beast said:

I just think it’s bull#### teams cut vets at this point of the season and they can join a team for the playoffs.

If you became a free agent after week, let’s say 12 for arguments sake, you should just be guaranteed your salary until the end of the season and not be able to join another squad.

His salary for the season was guaranteed when he was on the roster in week 1.

NFLPA wants players to have the opportunity to prove themselves.........would make no sense for them to agree to force players to not play after they are cut.

The only players getting cut this late are ones that hold no value to the team.........offseason-tradeable or pending free agents who might be expected to count in the equation are held onto.    

So it's a washed up or nearly washed up players market only. 

Looks like he asked for the release, forfeited his incentives and wants to play beyond next week.  So that limits his options to 14 teams.  Well 13.  Buffalo already has a Cook.

56 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

What's crazy is that he had over 1,000 yards rushing, almost 300 yards receiving, and 10 TDs just last year. 

Your mistake is believing that Joe Douglas is the GM of the NY NJ Football Jets. 

FIFY

9 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Anyone else thinking he’s going to end up in a Raven uniform???

that or Miami given they're banged up without proven RB's.

i expected the fish to sign Fournette before we did when Achan was hurt.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

People dumping on Dalvin doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Breece was healthy and always gonna be the primary ball carrier.  Dalvin was there to be another piece in a Rodgers based offense that could run and catch the ball out of the backfield.  But Rodgers went down and all that was left was a terrible OL, QB, and OC.  Dalvin doing little in a low use scenario on a truly awful offense doesn't mean he is shot and couldn't still have some value to a contending team.

Don't be surprised if KC or Balt sign him for the post season.  He would have value on both teams right now.  

Please don't let him go to Bmore.

59 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

His salary for the season was guaranteed when he was on the roster in week 1.

NFLPA wants players to have the opportunity to prove themselves.........would make no sense for them to agree to force players to not play after they are cut.

The only players getting cut this late are ones that hold no value to the team.........offseason-tradeable or pending free agents who might be expected to count in the equation are held onto.    

So it's a washed up or nearly washed up players market only. 

This isn't correct.

The guaranteed money on the contract was incentive-based and he received it each week he was on the active roster. Thus, if he wasn't on the active roster every week (i.e. Injured Reserve or Practice Squad) He doesn't get the money. He restructured his deal to be able to be cut. It's only 1 game, but the statement that his contract was fully guaranteed week 1 is false.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/dalvin-cook-21782/

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

This isn't correct.

The guaranteed money on the contract was incentive-based and he received it each week he was on the active roster. Thus, if he wasn't on the active roster every week (i.e. Injured Reserve or Practice Squad) He doesn't get the money. He restructured his deal to be able to be cut. It's only 1 game, but the statement that his contract was fully guaranteed week 1 is false.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/dalvin-cook-21782/

Then he set the terms of his release.   It's standard for veteran contracts to become fully guaranteed if the player is on the roster in week 1.   So it doesn't materially change the dynamic of the situation.   Not permitting a player to play elsewhere when there is runway left in the regular season isn't something the NFLPA is going to agree to.   If only because one game auditions can result in major career and financial gains for a player.  Rob Johnson cost the Bills a 1st round pick to acquire largely off of a 1 game audition in 1997 where he threw for 344 yards and 2 TD's.   

• Like (+1) 1

James should be like “bro, at least go to an NFC team.” 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BRH said:

How embarrassing would it be if he asked for his release so he could hook on with a playoff team, and nobody called?

Or, more likely, gets picked up off waivers by a team with a worse record.  He does still have to make it through waivers.

4 hours ago, mrags said:

Floyd + Terrible OL = violence 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.