Elam Activated

KingBoots8

If the reports are true that Beane turned down a 3rd round pick for Elam, then that fact combined with what we now know was a lingering injury that made it tough to move laterally give me at least a little bit of renewed hope for Elam to be a productive player.

I maintain that he played well at times during the last few games and the playoffs last season. He may not have been a world beater, but he certainly didn't look like a complete bust, either.

Here's hoping he can get some snaps, gain some confidence, and turn into at least serviceable depth for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

53 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

yea teams do it all the time.  A player will probably come up with a hamstring or ankle injury after practice friday and will be put on IR so they can activate Jones.

also I am a little concerned that Hyde could still end up on IR and miss the rest of the year which would make sense they then put elam on the roster if they need guys in the secondary and allowing them to activate jones.  Hope this doesn't happen though.

Micah's getting neck stingers almost every week.  There's not much more production there to squeeze out.  Actually hope this does happen. As much as I love what Micah's meant to this organization, he's not young or healthy enough to keep up. At least give Elam some snaps against NE and see what happens? Either way Jones is returning so something has to give.

27 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The only problem I have with that is that you want to slowly increase his reps.   IMO this is easier to do in NE than it in a likely “must win” situation in Week 18

Where did you see the “word” that Jones was targeting a W18 return?  Joe B and a few others thought he’d be active this Sunday.  

Jones still could be active this Sunday.

But he's a man coverage guy & doesn't work in our system! At least that's what everyone tells me...

Somehow Beane & McDermott overlooked this bit when drafting him, so how could he possibly help us now? 

Sarcasm aside, I desperately hope he improves & figures it out. He obviously has talent, but it'd be great to see it finally come together & help this team make a playoff push!

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

But he's a man coverage guy & doesn't work in our system! At least that's what everyone tells me...

Somehow Beane & McDermott overlooked this bit when drafting him, so how could he possibly help us now? 

Sarcasm aside, I desperately hope he improves & figures it out. He obviously has talent, but it'd be great to see it finally come together & help this team make a playoff push!

They are gonna have Elam man up Hill the whole Miami game…, it’s Sean’s new twist in coverage,  at least that’s the rumor I’m starting…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

If the reports are true that Beane turned down a 3rd round pick for Elam, then that fact combined with what we now know was a lingering injury that made it tough to move laterally give me at least a little bit of renewed hope for Elam to be a productive player.

I maintain that he played well at times during the last few games and the playoffs last season. He may not have been a world beater, but he certainly didn't look like a complete bust, either.

Here's hoping he can get some snaps, gain some confidence, and turn into at least serviceable depth for the Bills.

I never heard this. Link? 

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Von is actually starting to look like himself. This would be the worst time to IR IMO 

I couldn't disagree with you more. The game against SD may have been one of his worst yet. 

Von Miller has played 243 snaps for the season. In those 243 snaps, he has 3 tackles. Three.

His missed tackle percentage is 40%.

He is hitting the QB, on average, once every 56 pass rush attempts.

To put that into perspective, in Aaron Maybin's last year in the NFL, he hit the QB once every 51 pass rush attempts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

The only problem I have with that is that you want to slowly increase his reps.   IMO this is easier to do in NE than it in a likely “must win” situation in Week 18

Where did you see the “word” that Jones was targeting a W18 return?  Joe B and a few others thought he’d be active this Sunday.  

Huh, I thought I saw something but as I am looking through the reports I don't see anything.

it-crowd-matt-berry.png

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

whoever started that rumor must be reaching.  How would elam have passed a Physical with a new team with his injury?

30 minutes ago, mrags said:

I never heard this. Link? 

Which part, the injury or the trade?

Elam and Beane have each spoken directly about the injury.

As for the alleged trade offers for Elam...I'll try to find a link, but of course Beane didn't/wouldn't publicly confirm any kind of trade talks, so it will have to remain in the "unverified rumor" category regardless.

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I couldn't disagree with you more. The game against SD may have been one of his worst yet. 

Von Miller has played 243 snaps for the season. In those 243 snaps, he has 3 tackles. Three.

To put that into perspective, in Aaron Maybin's last year in the NFL, he hit the QB once every 51 pass rush attempts.

I just mean his burst looks better. I have been very disappointed in his play this year, but I’m hoping he finally gets his legs under him come playoff time 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

I’d bet some people are going to look pretty foolish wanting to bail on him so early like they did. Most athletically gifted corner on the roster. May not be this week or even this season, but this dude can play. 

I hope you're right.  We did see some good stuff in the playoffs last year.  Hope he builds off that.  

• Like (+1) 1

Who cares?  Our starting corners are Benford and Douglas.

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Does he have talent or does he have elite traits?  Two different things. I will always maintain Beane panicked when McDuffie was picked and took Elam thinking McD could coach him up in their system. However, sometimes the differences in systems are too much to overcome, no matter how many traits they possess. 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think it means "no Jones" against NE necessarily. 

I think it means that Elam had a 21 day window to be elevated or revert to season-ending IR.  Elam's window was opened Dec 6th so it expired today, so the Bills had to make a decision today.

AFAIK Jones can practice with the team and be elevated to the roster as late the day before, when PS elevations take place.  But his window opened only a week ago, so the Bills have 2 more weeks to make a decision on him.  No need to tip their hand today.

I’m hoping for it.  It makes you wonder who gets released…

42 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

My guess is either Johnson or Ford (sounds like an election)

They aren’t cutting Ty Johnson.  The Bills like what he brings on special teams and in the offense.  Also, he’s one of the few players on the team that can be trusted fielding kickoffs 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Tough to do, but the right move might be to put Von on injured reserve and hope he has something next year. (That's if they can plausibly claim he's injured, of course.) I'd give him one more game to show something, no more. 

Just now, JohnNord said:

Yeah, I was looking at that myself.  I see Poona Ford, Kingsley Jonathan, and Germain Ifedi as the three most likely candidates.

-Jonathan was active for 10 games Week 3 to Week 12 playing mostly ST.  He then did not show up on the injury report, but his ST snaps dropped about 20% Week 12 so he may have gotten injured.  He was inactive the week after the bye - which would mean 2 weeks off, with the bye - possible injury that didn't hamper him in practice.  Since then his ST snaps have fallen to 30-40%.  He may be trying to play through an injury, so the Bills might be able to IR him and he might prefer the sure $$ to trying to catch on with another team if he's playing hurt.

-Cutting Ford seems like a bit of an iffy proposition as it would mean going with 4 DT until the 2nd round of playoffs, and not having any room to let Jones work his way back on a pitch count.  Ford got 39% of the D snaps against the Chargers and has had a previous 3-game stretch of significant D snaps.

-Germain Ifedi has been active for 0 games this season, so he would seem like the entrant for "least likely to contribute".  But, unless stuff has changed, I think he's the only OT on the roster with experience at RT?  Van Demark has been active every game and has taken a few snaps (and played a little Teams) but, at least in pre-season am I remembering correctly he was strictly LT?  I'm thinking the prudent course of action is to hang on to an "emergency backup plan" for Spencer Brown.

My guess would be they either IR or cut Kingsley Jonathan, providing that AJE is "good to go", and that they'll keep DaQuan out against NE and make a move prior to the Miami game.

Here's the roster if anyone else wants to try "Play the GM"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

As for the alleged trade offers for Elam...I'll try to find a link, but of course Beane didn't/wouldn't publicly confirm any kind of trade talks, so it will have to remain in the "unverified rumor" category regardless.

Heard there were trade rumours about him… but a third ? 

2 hours ago, SWATeam said:

It's really hard to go though the roster and pick someone out.  Maybe Ifedi but I'm not sure they want to mess with the OL room.

And they still have Phillips coming back probably in the postseason, if they win a game.  Really speaks to the roster depth.

they will not cut ifedi. Developmental olinemen are like gold these days.  I’d say Ford, but they are too injured at that mosquito.  Maybe matekevich or Spector given they can just sign Klein back off the street in a pinch. 

51 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I just mean his burst looks better. I have been very disappointed in his play this year, but I’m hoping he finally gets his legs under him come playoff time 

I thought you were joking (sarcasm) on your orginal post.   Did you watch him during the Chargers game?  He looked worse in that game than he did against the Chiefs or Cowboys and he wasn't good in those games.  Absolutely zero impact against the pass (not even a QB pressure)  or run & he played around 40 snaps. 

I guess it's possible Von makes an impact in the playoffs, but I doubt it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, I was looking at that myself.  I see Poona Ford, Kingsley Jonathan, and Germain Ifedi as the three most likely candidates.

-Jonathan was active for 10 games Week 3 to Week 12 playing mostly ST.  He then did not show up on the injury report, but his ST snaps dropped about 20% Week 12 so he may have gotten injured.  He was inactive the week after the bye - which would mean 2 weeks off, with the bye - possible injury that didn't hamper him in practice.  Since then his ST snaps have fallen to 30-40%.  He may be trying to play through an injury, so the Bills might be able to IR him and he might prefer the sure $$ to trying to catch on with another team if he's playing hurt.

-Cutting Ford seems like a bit of an iffy proposition as it would mean going with 4 DT until the 2nd round of playoffs, and not having any room to let Jones work his way back on a pitch count.  Ford got 39% of the D snaps against the Chargers and has had a previous 3-game stretch of significant D snaps.

-Germain Ifedi has been active for 0 games this season, so he would seem like the entrant for "least likely to contribute".  But, unless stuff has changed, I think he's the only OT on the roster with experience at RT?  Van Demark has been active every game and has taken a few snaps (and played a little Teams) but, at least in pre-season am I remembering correctly he was strictly LT?  I'm thinking the prudent course of action is to hang on to an "emergency backup plan" for Spencer Brown.

My guess would be they either IR or cut Kingsley Jonathan, providing that AJE is "good to go", and that they'll keep DaQuan out against NE and make a move prior to the Miami game.

Here's the roster if anyone else wants to try "Play the GM"

I mean, please let it be Harty

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I suppose we need to tackle depth right? Might be better off axing a guy like Alec Anderson 

Anderson is a versatile interior lineman who can play center (yes, I know Bates is the backup) and is 5 years younger than Ifedi.  He showed a lot of promise in camp this year.  I doubt we'd cut him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Micah's getting neck stingers almost every week.  There's not much more production there to squeeze out.  Actually hope this does happen. As much as I love what Micah's meant to this organization, he's not young or healthy enough to keep up. At least give Elam some snaps against NE and see what happens? Either way Jones is returning so something has to give.

I really hope he is healthy enough to play in the playoffs.  One more run.  After all this time I would hate for him not to be on the field and healthy enough to play if they do get in the playoffs.  

13 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I suppose we need to tackle depth right? Might be better off axing a guy like Alec Anderson 

I think sal said yesterday that the organization loves him and they will not cut him just to make a roster space.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Yeah I meant the trade. I never heard any rumors of it which is why I was asking. 

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He appears to just lock horns with a tackle and never get free.  He seems to not give good effort but that is from far away.  Has he made any play at all?  Even one?   Close to one?   I think they should put him on ice for this year and hope next year is better.  

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

They aren’t cutting Ty Johnson.  The Bills like what he brings on special teams and in the offense.  Also, he’s one of the few players on the team that can be trusted fielding kickoffs 

I meant the D lineman, isn't his name Kingsley Johnson??  Ok just looked it up, it's Jonathan

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

6 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Roster at 53 now.  Wonder who will get released if/when they activate DaQuan Jones 

Looking at the roster, it would be an OL, DE, or CB. Most likely either Germain Ifedi, Alec Anderson, Kingsley Jonathan, or Cam Lewis. But it's hard to see a number of those players being released. Ifedi maybe?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.