Are you ready to marry Brady? (Joe)

Mikie2times

-The 4 weeks prior to Dorsey being let go we ranked 8th in EPA on offense and scored 21.5 PPG. Both those numbers only go up if you take that data back further. 

-The 3 weeks Brady has been OC we rank 8th in EPA on offense and scored 28.6 PPG. 

We have generated almost 7 more PPG in the sample with Brady but in the same sample our defense ranked 9th in EPA vs 32nd in the previous 4 when Dorsey was here. 

-The Jets game was an avalanche

-Philly actually has a trash defense this year. Not sure if everybody has followed that. It also took a historic 3rd down performance in the Philly game to do some of the things we did. 

-Then we obviously just saw the KC game

What you can see with Joe B is more emphasis in the run game. A complete shift in utilizing Cooke as a receiver which is really exciting since we haven't seen any RB featured in the passing game in a long time. Josh does look more comfortable right now as well which is probably the most important thing. 

All this is good but I almost feel like we are just starving for competency to the point that we have anointed him when really it's not a crazy variance off what we saw before. EPA ranges in these levels would be historically poor for this offense.  Still, I see the progress and I'm very happy he is here vs Dorsey, I just don't know if I'm ready to hand him the keys to a race car. I guess I was hoping we would look at seeing who is the best in the offseason and perhaps we still will. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Very unimpressed with his 2nd half performance.

he’s an upgrade over Dorsey. That’s as far as I’ll go so far. 

Agree 100%. Just hoping it wasn’t McD in his ear changing things. I am fine with Brady I think. Just don’t want McD anywhere near this offense. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

Two wrongs dont make a right. Just because he is better than Dorsey does not make it good enough. The play-calling is head scratching. The personnel is odd at times. Our downfield passing game is primarily backyard football not play design. Our ability to make adjustments is lacking. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

-The 4 weeks prior to Dorsey being let go we ranked 8th in EPA on offense and scored 21.5 PPG. Both those numbers only go up if you take that data back further. 

-The 3 weeks Brady has been OC we rank 8th in EPA on offense and scored 28.6 PPG. 

We have generated almost 7 more PPG in the sample with Brady but in the same sample our defense ranked 9th in EPA vs 32nd in the previous 4 when Dorsey was here. 

-Philly actually has a trash defense this year. Not sure if everybody has followed that. It also took a historic 3rd down performance in the Philly game to do some of the things we did. 

What you can see with Joe B is more emphasis in the run game. A complete shift in utilizing Cooke as a receiver which is really exciting since we haven't seen any RB featured in the passing game in a long time. Josh does look more comfortable right now as well which is probably the most important thing. 

All this is good but I almost feel like we are just starving for competency to the point that we have anointed him when really it's not a crazy variance off what we saw before. EPA ranges in these levels would be historically poor for this offense.  Still, I see the progress and I'm very happy he is here vs Dorsey, I just don't know if I'm ready to hand him the keys to a race car. I guess I was hoping we would look at seeing who is the best in the offseason and perhaps we still will. 

There’s going to be a few other big games this season, starting Sunday….maybe playoffs too.  It will give the team a lot of time to evaluate him as OC.  

One thing is pretty clear - Brady appears to be a better and more creative play caller than Dorsey.  Many have said play calling is more based on “feel” than an exact science.  This is where Dorsey failed IMO.  The offense seemed so disjoined and never “passed the eye test.”  It was Josh to Diggs or nothing.

I feel Brady has done a better job of taking advantage of week-to-week matchups and getting other players involved.  Ironically Diggs has yet to have a really good game since he took over.

That’s brings up back to talent.  I still think the Bills talent at WR is very average outside of Diggs.  When Diggs is coveted like last night, the Bills need someone to step up and make a play.  Harty helped on one catch but we need more from this season’s WR group

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Agree 100%. Just hoping it wasn’t McD in his ear changing things. I am fine with Brady I think. Just don’t want McD anywhere near this offense. 

LOL uh yeah…if McDermott was in his ear, he’d want more runs to kill time.  There’s no way the sequence before the go-ahead FG happens if McDermott was “in his ear.”  This fan base…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Thought he shoulda ran more play action yesterday, and also some no huddle. He could've also handled the last 2 mins better. Kc had 3(?) timeouts left and we needed to find a way to make them burn those. Instead they threw it 3 times and essentially gave kc 3 more timeouts

• Agree 1

When was the last game you marched and said “Wow, Ken Dorsey was impressive?”  I can think of the Miami game this season but that’s it.  It was downhill from there.

Before that we have to go back to 2022 season…Maybe the Rams and Titans in week 1 or wee 2????

Brady has 2.5 games like that already - 2nd half not withstanding 

Just now, Steptide said:

Thought he shoulda ran more play action yesterday, and also some no huddle. He could've also handled the last 2 mins better. Kc had 3(?) timeouts left and we needed to find a way to make them burn those. Instead they threw it 3 times and essentially gave kc 3 more timeouts

I think the drop by Diggs on the screen pass blew up the entire sequence. I think he was calling plays based on the expectation KC would defend the run. So he calls a screen and tries to get it outside for 4-5 yards and take it down to the two minute warning. Diggs drops it. Now it's 2nd down and again, you have to think they're playing run at least enough to think crap, if they shut us down on a run it's 3rd and long. We tried to outsmart KC on 1st down, doubled down on 2nd down, and had no choice on 3rd down. I don't like that it happened or how it happened, but it makes sense (what I think he was trying to do). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

No. He's an upgrade over Dorsey but Josh had to do things and make plays that most or no other QB in the league could do to win that game. It was easily his worst game out of the 3 and that was with 2 weeks preparation. He also didn't adjust well once KC adjusted to us. 

We should be shooting for the moon with #17 here. We can see where the next 4 games go, but the move should be to fire McD and bring in an offensive Head Coach who will either call plays or has his own guy. 

1 minute ago, Mikie2times said:

I think the drop by Diggs on the screen pass blew up the entire sequence. I think he was calling plays based on the expectation KC would defend the run. So he calls a screen and tries to get it outside for 4-5 yards and take it down to the two minute warning. Diggs drops it. Now it's 2nd down and again, you have to think they're playing run at least enough to think crap, if they shut us down on a run it's 3rd and long. We tried to outsmart KC on 1st down, doubled down on 2nd down, and had no choice on 3rd down. I don't like that it happened or how it happened, but it makes sense (what I think he was trying to do). 

I was at the game and I could be wrong about this, I haven't seen the play again, but wasn't he covered really well on that play anyway? It looked like it would've only been a 1-2 yard gain even if he had caught it. That happened a number of times on those swing passes. It's just not set up well, just like a lot of our screen play designs. 

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

No. He's an upgrade over Dorsey but Josh had to do things and make plays that most or no other QB in the league could do to win that game. It was easily his worst game out of the 3 and that was with 2 weeks preparation. He also didn't adjust well once KC adjusted to us. 

We should be shooting for the moon with #17 here. We can see where the next 4 games go, but the move should be to fire McD and bring in an offensive Head Coach who will either call plays or has his own guy. 

If we lose out McD is still our HC. Bills aren't throwing a parade for him postgame unless they already know. You know McD likes things a certain way.  It's very unlikely to me that we would consider an outsider at OC at this point unless Brady just implodes. 

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

LOL uh yeah…if McDermott was in his ear, he’d want more runs to kill time.  There’s no way the sequence before the go-ahead FG happens if McDermott was “in his ear.”  This fan base…

McDermott consistently makes the wrong game time decisions. So yeah. I don’t doubt McD was in his ear. Probably because of all the heat he took the last 2 weeks. Then all the sudden decided to go for the jugular when all he had to do was run it out. 

honestly. Hope I’m wrong and that Brady made the calls and now knows and can correct them going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

You forget he has had to work within the existing framework of the installed offense.  At the juncture of the season he was named he, would not be able to make wholesale changes to the offense.  

I am not ready to anoint him as the replacement just yet either.

However, he is making a good case for the job.  

Remember that Dorsey looked good for a few weeks too.  I think Brady is currently working to earn the right to apply for the job and be taken seriously.  

We have to remember that this isn't Brady's offense, as he is just working with the Dorsey playbook and making whatever adjustments he can with 4 games left.  With that being said, he appears to be doing a better job.  McD seems happier and Josh is getting that swagger back.

His first two games looked really good, but I'm not thrilled with the second half of the Chiefs game.  Granted, I don't know what adjustments the Chiefs made on defense, but Cook not being used out of the backfield in the second half was alarming to me.  Also, the receivers could not get open to save their life.  Was that because of the defenders, obvious routes, or the refs letting the defenders be handsy?  

If the offense continues to look like this for the rest of the season, I believe he definitely deserves the opportunity to apply.  But I want to see then bring others in for competition.  We should be a preferred destination to a lot of good candidates with Josh being here

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

You want a new head coach, Brady is  gone....

I would easily take that tradeoff. 

13 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

If we lose out McD is still our HC. Bills aren't throwing a parade for him postgame unless they already know. You know McD likes things a certain way.  It's very unlikely to me that we would consider an outsider at OC at this point unless Brady just implodes. 

I don't know if you're wrong or right...but that would be insanity to bring him back, especially if we lose out. But I think it's nuts regardless. The guy just has no composure whatsoever in crunchtime. 

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Very unimpressed with his 2nd half performance.

he’s an upgrade over Dorsey. That’s as far as I’ll go so far. 

The 2nd half was a head-scratcher - but I'm willing to give a pass on that, especially against KC's D, which is one of the best.  Overall, he's been really good.

The 3 passes at the end, though....

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Nope.  Offense disappeared for pretty much all of the 2nd half yesterday.  That just cant happen

Nope not yet but he has been a hell of an upgrade over Dorsey just with the concepts to get Cook open in the passing game. I just don't think our weapons are that good outside of Diggs and Kincaid. We need to upgrade there with another young explosive WR

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Yesterday was by far the worst of his three games.  There was some odd sequences in key moments 

yep.  To his credit, his first three games as OC have been against an absolute gauntlet of defenses, and it doesn’t get any easier next week against Dallas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.