Bills Hire DJ Mangas as Offensive Assistant

BuffaloBillyG

I hope he was tuned into the PHI/DAL game last night because if there is a play I would love for us to steal is that Center lead draw play from PHI.

I recall seeing it twice and it was extremely effective. If Kelce didn't whiff on his block either time those would've have been almost 25yd gains.

I will have to watch the replay to see if there was a particular defense that made it so effective, but I like that play with Josh and Mitch.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

Brady’s done a good job but fresh eyes will help, the second half of that game had some rough stretches offensively. 

well Brady also needs some guys loyal to him and that know his communication/expectation to help move the needle down the stretch. 

if this is a playoff team that somehow goes deep he has practically half a season to install wrinkles. 

plus he’s a body down in the leadership with Dorsey out of the room 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Spencer Brown against Micah Parsons is going to be a problem if they don't get him help.

Which means Knox staying in to help, reducing his effectiveness and along with it the whole team's.

Spencer Brown: the gift that keeps on giving. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, finn said:

Which means Knox staying in to help, reducing his effectiveness and along with it the whole team's.

Spencer Brown: the gift that keeps on giving. 

He has been a lot better than I expected this year, but still prone to getting beat too quickly by fast edge rushers.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The OLine had some serious issues in the 2nd half with their pass pro.  Not many teams are going to look good offensively when their QB is under duress all half.  They need to shore that up big time...Spencer Brown against Micah Parsons is going to be a problem if they don't get him help.

I was thinking exactly that watching Parsons last night. I'm sure they will have to leave Knox in to chip and even put Edward's over there at times to help as well. 

3 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

If this is what it takes for McDingus to get fired, I’m good with it.  Outside of Josh and Cook, the offense looked awful last night.  

Outside of the quarterback and running back the bills offense looked awful 😂. That’s a big chunk of the offense to use ‘outside of…’ on my dude lol

id say Kincaid looked good too so really it’s outside of quarterback, running back, and second leading receiving option the offense looked awful haha 

3 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

If this is what it takes for McDingus to get fired, I’m good with it.  Outside of Josh and Cook, the offense looked awful last night.  

Chiefs don’t give up points to anybody. They’ve held 11 of 13 teams to 21 or fewer points all season. 7 of those 11 teams never hit 20.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Outside of the quarterback and running back the bills offense looked awful 😂. That’s a big chunk of the offense to use ‘outside of…’ on my dude lol

id say Kincaid looked good too so really it’s outside of quarterback, running back, and second leading receiving option the offense looked awful haha 

I’ve read this 10 times and I’m still  trying to understand what you’re trying to say.  Care to translate?

Edited by TheWeatherMan

2 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I’ve read this 10 times and I’m still  understand what you’re trying to say.  Care to translate?

Would love to…the quarterback and the running back are responsible for a very large chunk of the offense…so saying ‘OUTSIDE OF the quarterback and running back the offense was awful’ sounds a bit silly imo 

a good nfl defense is going to take 1-2 of your playmakers away 

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We just need to stop settling for a 23rd ranked OL and go for it. Sooner than later both our OT's will need upgrading. 

If we’re being totally honest every team needs to constantly be upgrading their offensive line. We’ve actually been incredibly lucky that we’ve been injury free there all season. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Coached with Brady at LSU and with the Panthers. Hiring people Brady is familiar with is the first real sign he'll have the interim label removed for next year IMO.

That DJ Mangas????  Did you watch any UB games this year?  He ran a true Pop Warner style offense. I mean it was dreadful.

• Agree 1

I have to assume that some duties weren't being addressed when Brady got promoted.  I don't know what a QB coach really does, but Brady can't do both.  I don't take this hire to indicate anything more with needing some help covering all duties.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

He may also have had post-season duties to complete at UB

:blink:  The only post season duties he had at UB was clearing out his office.

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

I follow UB and DJ Mangas was the worst OC in the history of the program IMO.  But that being said, the talent on O this season was depleted and the QBs were atrocious.  

So hopefully being with Joe Brady and the tools on offense he can be a behind the scenes contributor with the Bills.

This is NOT an exaggeration.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That DJ Mangas????  Did you watch any UB games this year?  He ran a true Pop Warner style offense. I mean it was dreadful.

Weird because he was part of that record setting LSU offense. Maybe you can only call an offense to your talent level. And there wasn't a ton of talent to work with.🤷🏼‍♂️

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Weird because he was part of that record setting LSU offense. Maybe you can only call an offense to your talent level. And there wasn't a ton of talent to work with.🤷🏼‍♂️

I give you that but he didn't try to do anything. Seriously. Every play was a QB keeper.

5 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Sorry man, I just can’t get pumped for this ***** show of an offense we see week in and week out.  

2:16 left season on the line: 1st - Screen to Diggs (which we had previously tried 3 times and all failed) - incomplete, 2nd -  Deep shot left - incomplete, 3rd - desperation heave after not scheming for obvious blitz - incomplete.  Total time off the clock 19 seconds, without forcing them to burn a single time out.  Not a single touch for Cook who was gashing KC all night.

Bills are a dumb football team, and they don’t learn from mistakes.  This is why they are 7-6 instead of 11-2.

Fact!!  Have to get the ball out quick, Dallas has a formidable defense and I bet they replicate KC’s blitz schemes 

This. Alllllll Day. This. 

7 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I understand your desire to see McDermott to get fired, even if I don't agree.  Any Bills fans would want the best coach for the Bills.  If McD isn't that guy, we should find someone else.  

But why do you call him "McDingus"?  Has he ever offensively mangled your name?  I just don't get why people stoop to disrespect.  The world would be a better place - and the mafia would be a better group of fans - if we didn't do that.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

seems like something you’d do during the bye? 

Yes, it does, but I'm sure there's a reason.  For example, maybe he had some UB duties he wanted to deal with before he left.  Maybe he had to do season ending evaluation of the offense and the players.  Maybe he had recruiting duties to hand off.   And if he was the guy the Bills wanted, and he asked for an extra week, the Bills certainly would have said okay.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He was an analyst with the record setting team. When he was passing coordinator they weren’t very good. 

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

*shudder* {thinking about Spencer Brown trying to block Micah Parsons}

The other thing is that the Cowboys were absolutely vicious going after the ball and inducing fumbles last night.

Bills have got to go hard with ball security and loose ball drills this week.

That said ..... KC's defense has been very very good this year, and largely it's their pass defense that has shone.  They're actually better than Dallas pass D by a number of pass defense metrics - blitz %, QBKC%, Hurry%, Pressure%, # sacks....but only slightly.

Point being, it's not like our OL pass pro looked shabby against bottom feeders and now we have to go up against the Big Dogs.  We looked a little shabby against one of the top pass Ds, and now we have to go up against another top pass D.

Gilmore looked all-world last night with the Cowboys.

Of course he was, because he was on National Television, and his family was able to see him for the first time!

This article just popped up in my MSN feed.  I knew nothing about this.  Thoughts?

The Buffalo Bills made a smart under-the-radar move to start the week that should only serve to help the offense. 

Buffalo reportedly hired DJ Mangas as an offensive assistant. Most of the time, an offensive assistant hire doesn't move the needle. But Mangas is an interesting addition to the Bills' staff due to his connection to offensive coordinator Joe Brady. 

Mangas and Brady are extremely close. The two played college football together at William & Mary. And more importantly, they were on staff together at LSU during the Tigers' record-breaking season in 2019 that featured monstrous performances from Joe Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase, and Justin Jefferson. Mangas sat next to Brady throughout LSU's national championship run. 

Mangas has since served as an assistant with the Carolina Panthers and as the passing game coordinator at LSU. He was most recently the offensive coordinator at the University of Buffalo. 

It's not like the addition of Mangas is suddenly going to take the Bills' offense to a new level. But his addition will allow Brady to be a little more comfortable in his role as Buffalo's offensive coordinator. Continuity on an offensive staff is incredibly important. And having Mangas, who actually officiated Brady's wedding, will provide some of that much-needed continuity. 

This move also shows that Sean McDermott is committed to letting Brady run his offense, which is something the young play-caller didn't really get to do during his short run as the Panthers' offensive coordinator under Matt Rhule (and that job set Brady's career back a bit). 

By firing Ken Dorsey, the Bills may have stumbled into one of the best offensive coordinator situations in the NFL. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.