Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

25 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

this is part of the reason mcdermott cant come back...having to play at the jets every year plus in new england....it will never go away.

i mean the giants stadium commuter parking lot had cars parked there for awhile because they were victims in the attack.

there is no coming back from this no matter what anyone says....wait until the sunday morning pregame shows talk about this.  Mcdermott is done.

This single thing in particular isn't enough to do it IMHO.  But everything adding up is simply too much.

It was obvious that this season would be the one where he was exposed for who's he really is, but the fact that it's all cascaded so quickly is stunning.

As mentioned, he keeps giving himself rope to hang himself with.  

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone but Pegula thinks.  But at some point even he's gotta consider the outside pressure and image of the franchise.  

15 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Close games with McD are like a Final Destination movie. You don't know exactly which goofy decision or call will set off the 5-sigma improbable series of events to ultimately just barely lose the game at the end, but you know it's coming.

McPuckerUp?

• Dislike 2

I don't think McD will survive the public backlash for his insensitive stupid and senseless 9/11 comments to the team in 2019.  This becoming public is a humongous embarrassment to the organization and the last thing this team needs.  Just google the way it's been received nationally already, it's about to get hammered on every news outlet in the country.

His presser looks like 13 seconds and every other defensive collapse. His facial expressions scream fear and self-doubt.  He's scared, and for good reason, as this is likely the final nail in his coffin, and may prevent him from ever being a HC in the NFL again as well.

I honestly won't be surprised if he steps down as HC at this point, as the heat is about to get VERY intense at OBD.

As a McD hater, I am both glad as this IMO will finally get him out of here as HC, but also feel sympathy as this may destroy him personally as well. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, Preds said:

I don't think McD will survive the public backlash for his insensitive stupid and senseless 9/11 comments to the team in 2019.  This becoming public is a humongous embarrassment to the organization and the last thing this team needs.  Just google the way it's been received nationally already, it's about to get hammered on every news outlet in the country.

His presser looks like 13 seconds and every other defensive collapse. His facial expressions scream fear and self-doubt.  He's scared, and for good reason, as this is likely the final nail in his coffin, and may prevent him from ever being a HC in the NFL again as well.

I honestly won't be surprised if he steps down as HC at this point, as the heat is about to get VERY intense at OBD.

As a McD hater, I am both glad as this IMO will finally get him out of here as HC, but also feel sympathy as this may destroy him personally as well. 

"Fight on, my men, Sir Andrew said, A little I'm hurt but not yet slain. I'll just lie down and bleed awhile, And I'll rise and fight again. Unless terrorists bomb my ass".

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Preds said:

Many of us can only hope. I still personally don’t believe he’s going anywhere. At least not this year. Unless…. And this is a huge IF. Pegula all the sudden realizes something may be wrong and he has an end of season interview with either everyone, or the key pieces to this team to gather their thoughts on the HC. It MIGHT be a way out. I still doubt it though. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Many of us can only hope. I still personally don’t believe he’s going anywhere. At least not this year. Unless…. And this is a huge IF. Pegula all the sudden realizes something may be wrong and he has an end of season interview with either everyone, or the key pieces to this team to gather their thoughts on the HC. It MIGHT be a way out. I still doubt it though. 

Like I said up-thread, I think Pegula is sensitive to public embarrassment.

So if the fallout from this is lasting public embarrassment, Right or Wrong, I think McDermott is gone.

11 minutes ago, Preds said:

On this, my personal feeling is that something which happened 4 years ago and was dealt with at the time, should remain at rest.

I think it’s BS to dredge this up now.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

It is so obvious 

He practically loses games single handedly.

He is one of the worst coaches in crucial, high pressure situations that I've ever seen. The dumb look of confused panic on his face as he makes bad decisions at critical moments. 

His dire need to deflect all blame is such an obvious character flaw and should absolutely be a disqualifying trait for any leadership position. He's the same as he has always been. His attitude and response in the aftermath of the 13 second debacle showed who he is and he hasn't changed a bit.

For a guy who prides himself on character,  humility and leadership, McDermott fails miserably in alot of these traits.  No wonder alot of his players turn to other coaches.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Torn on all the McD stuff. I think he has reached the ceiling and coaches scarred. My head believes it’s time to make a change and knows it is very likely over but of course my heart wants to see an epic run into the playoffs. All this has to be distracting to team (like Von crap) and this team needs to be laser focused. What a frustrating year. 

I  am though starting to hate all the piling on that McD s getting. Sure he is flawed like all of us but he seems like a decent person who while making a lot of money is likely going to be outta a job soon and family will be uprooted. I don’t know, he did get “lead” is out of the drought and for that I am thankful but it does certainly seem like wheels are really coming off here. 

• Like (+1) 1

I believe it is time to move on from McDermott-- but I felt this way long before this article came out.  The 9-11 reference is stunning. How do you stand in front of a team and start to use that as an example of teamwork--- without stopping yourself and thinking-- "WTH am I talking about here?"

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

On this, my personal feeling is that something which happened 4 years ago and was dealt with at the time, should remain at rest.

I think it’s BS to dredge this up now.

Jon Gruden agrees with you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Huh? What? said:

Hey... this requires an entirely stupid gesture response.. Maybe that was what he was going for, but... that was movie.. psychotic is the word we are missing here!... 

I just laughed my ars off as we watched that dumb movie so many times in college as I was in a fraternity.  I will admit it was some of the dumbest and most fun times as a youngster.  From the “ you must drink every time you hear a shush shush when the door opens on Star Trek to you have to drink every time in scar face someone says the f word”

thank god eventually I grew up.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Does he have good assistants now, or simply yes-men that he dragged with him from a former team?  

There's not a single distinguished coach on this staff.  

Kromer is well regarded, and Shula, but that’s about it (on offense). Though I like Brady.

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

It's a damn good thing that this siht wasn't known before or season opener in NY.  

LOL  

Just the fact that it wasn't leaked until four years later is amazing to me.  Especially in the age of social media where everyone has a voice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's somewhere in between and whatever you think of the story is influenced on your priors when it comes to your opinion of McDermott.  How could it not be?

I think the tweet is true. Whatever you think of McDermott coming out of this story (and as I said before I think there is likely a basis of truth to most of it) Dunne comes off really badly. And he likely doesn't realise what he has just done to his own career.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

who's Tyler Dunne?

Apparently he’s an independent football journalist who was born and raised in WNY, went to college in Syracuse, and now currently lives in WNY. Curiously enough, he has been a Green Bay Packers fan since childhood…

Dunne seems to have many personal connections with players, coaches, and staff members who would have good career-related reasons for seeing Coach McDermott go down in flames (Doug Whaley and Jim Monos being the most prominent such names).

Dunne has also expressed personal grievances against the Bills franchise for restricting his media access with the team.

Furthermore, Dunne’s particular business model would stand to benefit greatly from generating controversy that drives online clicks.

You don’t have to be a McDermott apologist to question Dunne’s motives. If you see this person roaming the streets of WNY, please ask him why he chose to release his article a few days before the most critical game of our beloved team’s season:

TylerDunnePedophile.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Apparently he’s an independent football journalist who was born and raised in WNY, went to college in Syracuse, and now currently lives in WNY. Curiously enough, he has been a Green Bay Packers fan since childhood…

Dunne seems to have many personal connections with players, coaches, and staff members who would have good career-related reasons for seeing Coach McDermott go down in flames (Doug Whaley and Jim Monos being the most prominent such names).

Dunne has also expressed personal grievances against the Bills franchise for restricting his media access with the team.

Furthermore, Dunne’s particular business model would stand to benefit greatly from generating controversy that drives online clicks.

You don’t have to be a McDermott apologist to question Dunne’s motives. If you see this person roaming the streets of WNY, please ask him why he chose to release his article a few days before the most critical game of our beloved team’s season:

TylerDunnePedophile.jpg

Sour grapes. His job is not to time his articles to your liking. His job is to report and make money off his website. 

The thing is I don’t think he has gained any subscribers. 52 pages and not one person has posted the whole article for everyone to read? I’m not paying 8 bucks to read one article. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

***** Tyler Dunne for releasing this article right before the Chiefs game. This is something that could have waited a few weeks until after the regular season or playoffs.

This is how I feel.

McDermott really F’ed up with his 9/11 example.  It has made me change my opinion on him.  Not that I don’t think he’s a good or genuine person, his thought process really concerns me now.

Now instead of just focusing on KC, this has taken over.  A McDermott that has a divided focus on Sunday scares a lot.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

Sour grapes. His job is not to time his articles to your liking. His job is to report and make money off his website. 

The thing is I don’t think he has gained any subscribers. 52 pages and not one person has posted the whole article for everyone to read? I’m not paying 8 bucks to read one article. 

I mean technically he doesn't have a job.... he is a content creator. Just the same as the college girl flashing her bits on Only Fans. 

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 8

my biggest worry is the refs F us Sunday via the league wanting McD to fail.  Look for a bunch of holding, p.i etc , that put us behind the sticks and non calls for us

Could care less about a speech made in TC 4+ years ago. Was it on poor taste? Yes a bit but I understand the message. McD isn't supporting freaking terrorism, dude made a bad analogy and wfan is acting like he's a terrorist,  talking about he should be fired immediately.  Haters because we have been a successful franchise that turned it around and they're stuck , missing on 2 top 3 qbs in 4 years

Edited by JerseyBills

8 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It should have stayed in house, thats the embarrassing part .  Regardless of the article McDermott has five weeks to set this thing straight.   If the Bills miss the playoffs its time for him to go.   As much as I appreciate what he's done for the organization its important for the Pegula's not to drag their feet on this.   The only thing the article does is make the move easier to digest.  That said, I am hoping Sean gets the team through this and into the playoffs.    He's earned that much.

No the team deserves it, not McD.....

8 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I heard on wgr today that during that Tampa bay game a couple years ago the players said basically "we're going to do this Our way and that when they came out of halftime and took TB to OT. Josh did josh things and would have won that game had it not been for the refs refusing to call PI. Remember that game. Stephs jersey being stretched Galway across the field and like 4 refs were looking right at it?  I am one to hope they play for each other on this team right now because they win despite McD and often lose because of him. 

And after the obvious PI (set up thanks to a first down run), McD's vaunted D, when a stop was needed, allowed a TD. 

I’m certainly no fan of McD, but the 9-11 thing is being blown WAY out of proportion. Was it dumb and insensitive? Yes. But that in and of itself is no reason to fire him. Everybody, at one time or another, says something dumb and insensitive in their lives, but not everybody is scrutinized for everything they say. Plus, he was right about the terrorists teamwork. 😉

If the Bills somehow manage to get in to the playoffs, and then win a couple games, and not lose a game because of his buffoonery, he probably deserves another year at the helm.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean technically he doesn't have a job.... he is a content creator. Just the same as the college girl flashing her bits on Only Fans. 

He’s been a reporter for as long as I have known about him. God bless him for trying to do it for himself. Hating on him don’t change what is going on at obd. 
The only thing that I care about all this is how it affects the bills on the field. 

these are all things we have seen bits and pieces of over the years and now they are just being laid out in full. It is obviously having an affect on the team during games. The proof is in the record. 

Is it a big deal that he used terrorists as an example? I’ll let you decide but we see how his mind works and he chokes under pressure late in games.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It is weird to me that this article confirms every McD conspiracy theories as true .

13 seconds.

Offense sucking with Dorsey.

Dabs leaving.

ext

Yet guys still signed extensions. Yet he has still been able to hire really good coaching staffs. 

I still feel like this is a reporter with an axe to grind as someone pointed out. 

Outside of Brady who has he hired that is really good? They’re all his friends and Brady was coming off a poor showing in Carolina. 

49 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

TylerDunnePedophile.jpg

The next 9 weeks could possibly be the most critical game of our season. We put ourselves in this position where every game has extreme value. And besides, this article is never going to be more interesting to people than after that eagles game. He either puts it out now, or waits until we are officially eliminated. 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Just the fact that it wasn't leaked until four years later is amazing to me.  Especially in the age of social media where everyone has a voice.

Probably because EVERYONE knew how completely f’d up that comparison was. 

You know he thought of it in the shower or on the toilet and was like “Eureka! This will REALLY motivate the only Team actually from NY!” 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

26 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I’m certainly no fan of McD, but the 9-11 thing is being blown WAY out of proportion. Was it dumb and insensitive? Yes. But that in and of itself is no reason to fire him. Everybody, at one time or another, says something dumb and insensitive in their lives, but not everybody is scrutinized for everything they say. Plus, he was right about the terrorists teamwork. 😉

If the Bills somehow manage to get in to the playoffs, and then win a couple games, and not lose a game because of his buffoonery, he probably deserves another year at the helm.

Some people are blowing it out of proportion, but I think most people are using it appropriately. They aren't saying it makes him a terrible person, just a person with a very flawed decision making process. It doesn't take an evil person to use that story as motivation. It takes a moron. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BFLO said:

No. The purpose of the article is to shame and humiliate Terry into firing this clown. 

Hope it works, because last week we were told he was 100% safe.

Very few have anything at all personal against McD, they just don't see him as a coach who get's the best out of his most important asset, which is Josh Allen.

Add to that the coaching blunders and what will never be lived down, 13 seconds and what may cost them the playoffs this year (12 men), one can go on and on about.  

I never bought into the Process and that first year a lot of religion talk.  He completely lost me with Peterman, showing he didn't give a damn about the offense.  I couldn't stand three years of terrible offense and I certainly have disagreed with how he handled #17 from day one.  

Sorry just look at the Diggs situation and you know it is McD at the root of it.

But win a SB (or 2-3) and all is forgiven.  

However this 9-11 story is national and the utter stupidity to use 9-11 as a teaching/inspirational motivating speech is telling.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.