Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

17 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I see some folks saying Dunne should have waited until the end of the season to release the article...that's not his job lol.  His job is to report.  

Pretty clear his intent was to hatchet job the guy at the worst possible time. Look I want McDermott gone, but if I believed 1/10th of this it's be too much 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The article was written to get people to dislike Sean McDermott. It’s a hit piece that offers nothing more.

A good number of people already dis like him. This just confirm things. Now you know why a team with a top 3 qb and talented roster is 6-6.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Pretty clear his intent was to hatchet job the guy at the worst possible time. Look I want McDermott gone, but if I believed 1/10th of this it's be too much 

Well the 9/11 part appears to have been true as McD tried explaining it at his press conference today.  My guess is that most of Dunn's reporting is true but lacking some context. 

9 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Can you name one of the people for me?

How would I know.  

So you're insinuating that he really hasn't then?   

If you were a journalist and relied upon confidentiality for your sources, you're saying you'd violate those unwritten agreements and tell the world who told you what?  

Come on ... that's a ridiculous question and you know it.  

7 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Dorsey was a pretty natural pick.  You often promote from within for a successful offense.  Allen pushed  hard for him. 

It was a natural pick. But a rookie coordinator for a Super Bowl team? McDermott was wrong on that one, no matter if he agreed with the move or caved to Allen. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I see some folks saying Dunne should have waited until the end of the season to release the article...that's not his job lol.  His job is to report.  

lol, right.  Like he would have released this if we were sitting at 10-2…. The timing was clearly opportunistic 

Two things can be both true and not mutually exclusive:

1.) This is a hatchet job

2.) Things in this article are accurate.

He admitted to the 9/11 thing and apologized for it publicly. It was a tough position to be in, as denying it with players in house knowing it happened - would make him look really bad to the locker room.

However, admitting it as he has, will become a media firestorm that will forever tarnish his reputation. While I don't necessarily expect it, confirming that it happened could lead to his immediate dismissal.

The optics on it are that bad. It's already the front page cover of ProFootballTalk and will surely be a lead in of every major talk show tomorrow. And there will be many calling for his head.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I have no doubts that the story is legitimate. 

1) Dunne is a highly respected writer with an immense number of sources. He would not jeopardize his career to bash a random coach.
2) Much of what was written in the article is what we have seen and assumed for many years. It matches. 

3) McKenzie publicly spoke about some of this.

Those who believe its made up simply want to believe its made up.

I don’t think Ty Dunne is as respected as you think he is.

He has been mostly very Pro-Bills in his career which makes him very respected around here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

How would I know.  

So you're insinuating that he really hasn't then?   

If you were a journalist and relied upon confidentiality for your sources, you're saying you'd violate those unwritten agreements and tell the world who told you what?  

Come on ... that's a ridiculous question and you know it.  

No - but most reputable news sources have an editor to vet them.  Or to examine and evaluate biased writing.  

This is a blog.  

55 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I'm trying to understand what is more bizarre. A guy accidently landing on an example about 9/11 being good team work or a guy intentionally landing on 9/11 being a good example about team work. 

Both utterly bizarre, but landing on it intentionally is beyond the pale. Of the countless number of examples of teamwork he could have cited, to choose the perpetrators of the single greatest attack on our soil in history is unacceptable on every level. He’s a bigger idiot than I thought he was.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

To the he took a loser franchise and turned it around crowd. 

The Bills were rarely a loser franchise. During the 17 years of the draught they won at least 6 games 14 times. They won 7 games 9 times. They were essentially a slightly below average football team. Look at the list of QB's during that time period and ask yourself if you swap Allen for that guy what happens? Was it the coaching or is it Allen? 

2 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

A good number of people already dis like him. This just confirm things. Now you know why a team with a top 3 qb and talented roster is 6-6.

Sure, but now it's going to look like Pegula fired him because Dunne wrote a hit piece on him. Who's going to want to coach here if all it takes is some blogger with no editorial constraints writing a nasty post about you? I'm sure that if someone wanted to do it, you could write a thing like this about most NFL coaches. I am sure Brandon Staley is thanking his lucky stars that he never had a GM fired who was besties with a reporter/blogger or that he didn't cut a WR who had a vengeful blogger as a podcast co-host.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Both utterly bizarre, but landing on it intentionally is beyond the pale. Of the countless number of examples of teamwork he could have cited, to choose the perpetrators of the single greatest attack on our soil in history is unacceptable on every level. He’s a bigger idiot than I thought he was.

I'm not offended by the analogy. I'm offended that he was dumb enough to use it.

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

No - but most reputable news sources have an editor to vet them.  Or to examine and evaluate biased writing.  

This is a blog.  

OK, so let's drill down here.  You're saying that you don't trust that he's telling the truth then?  

Spill it, what, exactly, are you saying about his sources?  They don't exist?  They're lying?  

You're word salad here is without direction.  

Just step out and say it.  We're all family here.  LOL  

• Haha (+1) 1

Not everybody you let go should have a score to settle. That is if you have a decent relationship with them. Further, if he has decent relationships with people I would expect former coaches and players to come out and defend him. If he can't generate any defense off this it says all you need to know. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.