Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-mcdermott-problem-part-i-blame?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

A very long read, and the other parts are only for paid subscribers, but his sources paint a picture of McD as a narcissistic control freak who won’t take accountability for anything. 

Do with this what you will. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 22

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-mcdermott-problem-part-i-blame?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

A very long read, and the other parts are only for paid subscribers, but his sources paint a picture of McD as a narcissistic control freak who won’t take accountability for anything. 

Anyone willing to summarize the parts that were behind a paywall would be appreciated.

The part that I could read, I can't disagree.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Damn this is prophetic:

Those who’ve worked with the head coach on a day-to-day basis predicted all of this — months in advance — because they’ve seen how McDermott operates on a day-to-day basis. How tangibly nervous he gets in close games. How he has never truly appreciated his gift from the football gods: Josh Allen. How he’s quick to blame everyone but himself in defeat. That’s why one coach — in June — began by asking a simple question: “If they fail again this year? What does ownership do with Sean?”

Three seconds later, he answered his own hypothetical.

“Next year if they fail, you know who’ll be the first person he serves up? Ken Dorsey.”

The coach wasn’t quite sure how McDermott would manage to put Dorsey’s head on a stick. After all, it’s the head coach’s beloved defense that has melted in four straight postseason losses. The honeymoon period with fans ended a long time ago — pointing a finger at his breadwinning quarterback, again, surely wouldn’t work. Yet even back in June, this assistant knew his old boss would find a way to deflect blame.

“Watch,” he said, “if they sputter at all during this year, the narrative’s going to be the offense.”

• Like (+1) 12
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Even as someone who wants McD gone, I'm clicking this link with a grain of salt.

Dunne is a decent writer, but trying to do his own thing independently makes him a little more desparate for clicks than even the normal sports media. Plus, his main source into the NFL is Doug Whaley.

So whatever damning piece he write about this regime needs to be tempered a bit.

That said, fire McD.

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Damn this is prophetic:

Those who’ve worked with the head coach on a day-to-day basis predicted all of this — months in advance — because they’ve seen how McDermott operates on a day-to-day basis. How tangibly nervous he gets in close games. How he has never truly appreciated his gift from the football gods: Josh Allen. How he’s quick to blame everyone but himself in defeat. That’s why one coach — in June — began by asking a simple question: “If they fail again this year? What does ownership do with Sean?”

“Next year if they fail, you know who’ll be the first person he serves up? Ken Dorsey.”

The coach wasn’t quite sure how McDermott would manage to put Dorsey’s head on a stick. After all, it’s the head coach’s beloved defense that has melted in four straight postseason losses. The honeymoon period with fans ended a long time ago — pointing a finger at his breadwinning quarterback, again, surely wouldn’t work. Yet even back in June, this assistant knew his old boss would find a way to deflect blame.

“Watch,” he said, “if they sputter at all during this year, the narrative’s going to be the offense.”

Firing Dorsey was the right move tho.

Maybe an incomplete move as ownership probably should have fired the HC too. But Dorsey needed to go, regardless of the politics behind it or how we feel about McD.

The Offense was sputtering. The Offense was going the first 3 quarters of games without scoring while the D held on for dear life allowing only 10 points. The Offense was the main problem.

Now that has been addressed, Josh is "back", and we've scored over 30 points each game since Dorsey was let go. Time to address the Defense.

Hand the whole thing over to Brady at this point.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 17
  • Agree 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Damn this is prophetic:

Yeah, this was pretty obvious before the season started.  It was also just a matter of time before this came out.  

McD's increasingly running out of scapegoats.  

Our franchise really doesn't need this.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Even as someone who wants McD gone, I'm clicking this link with a grain of salt.

Dunne is a decent writer, but trying to do his own thing independently makes him a little more desparate for clicks than even the normal sports media. Plus, his main source into the NFL is Doug Whaley.

So whatever damning piece he write about this regime needs to be tempered a bit.

That said, fire McD.

Firing Dorsey was the right move tho.

Maybe an imcomplete move as ownership probably should have fired the HC too. But Dorsey needed to go, regardless of the politics behind it or how we feel about McD.

Reading some of the comments made by McD over the last 6 weeks made me think that Dorsey was not an independent OC in the way that DeBoll was. Dorsey was a tool of McD his purpose was to implement what McD wanted out of HIS offense and more importantly out of HIS QB.  The placing of a governor on Allen's play which was the primary reason this offense struggled at times came from McD.  And for this reason alone McD should be fired.  Dorsey was only there to try to make McD's demands happen.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5
  • Dislike 4

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, this was pretty obvious before the season started.  It was also just a matter of time before this came out.  

McD's increasingly running out of scapegoats.  

Our franchise really doesn't need this.  

Did you think Dorsey was better than Brady?

13 secs exposed McD's inability to be accountable, I knew it would turn out like this...right down to Pegula being unwilling to do what is needed. The next 2-3 seasons are going to be rough, and I bet it will take at least that many years for Pegula to actually make the right call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Reading some of the comments made by McD over the last 6 weeks made me think that Dorsey was not an independent OC in the way that DeBoll was. Dorsey was a tool of McD his purpose was to implement what McD wanted out of HIS offense and more importantly out of HIS QB.  The placing of a governor on Allen's play which was the primary reason this offense struggled at times came from McD.  And for this reason alone McD should be fired.  Dorsey was only there to try to make McD's demands happen.

We say that but he brings up Brady and lets Brady have Allen run more. 

Edited by Arkady Renko
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Arkady Renko said:

Did you think Dorsey was better than Brady?

I think that McDoesn'tKnow lucked into Allen, is the one that chose Dorsey, both back then and to succeed Daboll, etc.  

I know that it's his team.  

We know that he's never come clean on who was responsible for "13 Seconds," has never defined his precious "Process," and generally has admitted that he's clueless as to what's wrong with his own team.  

Now, what was that you were saying about Dorsey?  

;) 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

If everything said in this piece about McD is true, then no way he just decides to give up what he wants and let's Brady run loose.

Dorsey sucked as an OC. It doesnt need to go deeper than that.

Dorsey is gone. That problem has been addressed. On to the next issue: Head Coach.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

I think that McDoesn'tKnow lucked into Allen, is the one that chose Dorsey, both back then and to succeed Daboll, etc.  

I know that it's his team.  

We know that he's never come clean on who was responsible for "13 Seconds," has never defined his precious "Process," and generally has admitted that he's clueless as to what's wrong with his own team.  

Now, what was that you were saying about Dorsey?  

;) 

Dorsey was a pretty natural pick.  You often promote from within for a successful offense.  Allen pushed  hard for him. 

• Agree 7

I know this will be taken as 100% factual information, but I struggle with unnamed sources. 

If someone got benched for fired, they won’t have favorable reviews of McD period because lack of accountability is a very common problem. 

Some of these stories just sound made up, opinions, or exaggerated. 

And for what it’s worth, my stance on McD has changed. I do think we will be best served with a new direction. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 14
  • Thank you (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

how long is the read?

its $8 to sub, i have no interest in anything else, so it'll basically be an $8 article. things are tight over here lol im fine spending it if its a good read, lengthy, in depth, the 25 interviews pulled my interest

Posters like me have been taking flak from this board for years when we criticized McDermott. 

Our only hope is just like Manning, Allen overcomes his moron HC. Dungy was a terrible coach that lucked into a top 4 QB of all time and still almost managed to never win a SuperBowl.  He should be in the Hall of Shame not the HOF. 

Let's hope Pegula looks back and sees what Tampa did to win a SuperBowl after years of Dungy failures.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Simon said:

When players were upset by this edict, center Mitch Morse actually drew a Jordan logo on one of his sharkskin cowboy boots...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In sorry but that whole thing sounds like a complete lie. 

McD wanted his OL to wear work boots instead of Jordan’s during a walk through? What? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Is anyone shocked? 

He came to Buffalo trumpeting a "physical run game" to play in "snowy weather". 

He'll tell you himself that he's seen it all, done it all, thought of everything, knows what it is supposed to look like, in his same low-volume, generic platitude, monotone style. 

The team is managed exactly like a Defensive Coordinator as Head Coach would be - picks and resources devoted to the defense, a franchise QB given one big time weapon and a cast of low round misfits (Allen said it again yesterday referencing how Buffalo feels like Wyoming - literally yesterday). 

It's clear that we have peaked with him as a Coach, but Buffalo is going to hold onto 2017 and breaking The Drought. All I can hope as a fan is that the Bills add more brainpower to the offensive coaching staff to compete with the other best coaches in the world, and Allen stays motivated to stay in Buffalo because he is fond of reminding everyone how small and uninteresting the city is in every interview he gives. 

Terry loves him, calls him a faith based leader. All we can do is pray for offensive investment. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

McD wanted his OL to wear work boots instead of Jordan’s during a walk through? What? 

Could have just been a joke and a joke in response. 

Players have wanted to stay in Buffalo. Surprising if their coach is such a terrible boss.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Let me be the naysayer who gets smacked around for a divergent view...

I like Dunne.  And he says he talked to 25 people for this article.  That's an impressive number.  

But I wonder who he talked to and which ones he quoted?  Coaches who were fired?  Players who were cut?  

It would be nice if he sought out a random sample.  Both McD detractors and fans.  But he seemingly didn't do that.  

I'm not arguing McD is perfect and doesn't do any wrong.  I just don't think Dunne's article is the final word.  We've heard a lot of players talk about how much they love the culture of the Bills.  Things aren't all bad.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Is anyone shocked? 

He came to Buffalo trumpeting a "physical run game" to play in "snowy weather". 

He'll tell you himself that he's seen it all, done it all, thought of everything, knows what it is supposed to look like, in his same low-volume, generic platitude, monotone style. 

The team is managed exactly like a Defensive Coordinator as Head Coach would be - picks and resources devoted to the defense, a franchise QB given one big time weapon and a cast of low round misfits (Allen said it again yesterday referencing how Buffalo feels like Wyoming - literally yesterday). 

It's clear that we have peaked with him as a Coach, but Buffalo is going to hold onto 2017 and breaking The Drought. All I can hope as a fan is that the Bills add more brainpower to the offensive coaching staff to compete with the other best coaches in the world, and Allen stays motivated to stay in Buffalo because he is fond of reminding everyone how small and uninteresting the city is in every interview he gives. 

Terry loves him, calls him a faith based leader. All we can do is pray for offensive investment. 

I think there is a very good chance 2024 is his last season. 

It’s being played off as not a possibility, but him being fired if we miss the playoffs is very real IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Posters like me have been taking flak from this board for years when we criticized McDermott. 

Our only hope is just like Manning, Allen overcomes his moron HC. Dungy was a terrible coach that lucked into a top 4 QB of all time and still almost managed to never win a SuperBowl.  He should be in the Hall of Shame not the HOF. 

Let's hope Pegula looks back and sees what Tampa did to win a SuperBowl after years of Dungy failures.

Look at the bright side...... We're taking less flak now.....🤣😉

The real sad part is we all want the Bills to overcome McD and win the SB this year.  Reading just the introduction, I'm now wavering on that.  

No wonder I feel miserable.

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Let me be the naysayer who gets smacked around for a divergent view...

I like Dunne.  And he says he talked to 25 people for this article.  That's an impressive number.  

But I wonder who he talked to and which ones he quoted?  Coaches who were fired?  Players who were cut?  

It would be nice if he sought out a random sample.  Both McD detractors and fans.  But he seemingly didn't do that.  

I'm not arguing McD is perfect and doesn't do any wrong.  I just don't think Dunne's article is the final word.  We've heard a lot of players talk about how much they love the culture of the Bills.  Things aren't all bad.  

Exactly! This just feels like a guy who had an agenda, and sought out sources and quotes to fit the narrative he was trying to make.

A positive McD piece would have got 30 clicks, zero discussion.

A negative piece will get hundreds. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 2

9 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

how long is the read?

its $8 to sub, i have no interest in anything else, so it'll basically be an $8 article. things are tight over here lol im fine spending it if its a good read, lengthy, in depth, the 25 interviews pulled my interest

Three good long articles. I don’t have a subscription either, so I’m going what a lot of Bills fans screenshot for Twitter. 

33 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

This is one of those articles that ultimately does absolutely nothing to move the needle for anyone.

Those that don't like McDermott will take the majority of this as fact because it "proves" their own thoughts and provides them a piece of that oh so comforting "echo chamber"

Those that like McDermott will be quick to brush it off as gossip from players/coaches who have clashed with McDermott or feel they have been wronged and have an axe to grind. 

• Angry 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 7

13 minutes ago, boyst said:

10 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

how long is the read?

See my quote above

6 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

That is a very specific lie. Lies in stories are either completely fabricated or too specific with a manufactured backstory. That passes my sniff test of truth but the accuracy could always be off - as a joke. McChump could have said in a joking manner that his OL needs to be tough and not wearing Jordans. They should be wearing cowboy boots, and carharrts, and drive f650's, and dip Redman... All in a analogic metaphor. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

If I was a reporter who wanted to write a negative article about a HC, I'd do the following:

*  Interview every coach and player who I suspect has a negative opinion of the coach.

*  Include all the worst comments in the article.  

*  Include a couple of positive observations in the piece just to make it seem like I'm fair and balanced.

*  Imply that the negative sentiments represent a consensus even when they don't.    

I'm not sure Dunne did all this.  But I don't know that he didn't.  

I'm hoping that Terry spends enough time with the team to have a true understanding of what the coaches and players think of McD and how he actually operates.   

If Dunne is, in fact, giving a fair portrait of the man, he deserves to be fired.  I'm just not confident that he is.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.