Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

Just now, JerseyBills said:

The man took a loser franchise and made them into a top 3 -5 teqm every year since 2020. 

Be careful what you wish for, the grass isn't always greener 

He won 2 more games than Ryan did with the same roster. Then road a top 3 QB to a divisional playoff win. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I never suggested Dunne is lying.  I think, maybe, Dunne doesn't like McD and so he looks for disgruntled ex-Bills employees to agree with him.  And that's what he prints.  I don't think he made up a single quote.  I don't think he said a single thing he doesn't believe to be true.  I just think that, maybe, he's wrong.  

So you think that the people he's interviewing are lying because they're disgruntled then.  OK  Maybe.  

He's interviewed a lot of people, that's a lot of people to "agree" on those points if there's nothing there.  

Oh well, we'll find out more at some point.  It's not all that important anyway.  

I think a pro-McD journalist could write a very different article with lots of true quotes about how great McD is.  

And what do you think they'd include in that in terms of how great of a head coach he is?  

3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

The man took a loser franchise and made them into a top 3 -5 teqm every year since 2020. 

Be careful what you wish for, the grass isn't always greener 

Yeah yeah, tell that to the 90 virgins 

most of them are posting here right now.

Edited by Billschinatown
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

It's funny these people were calling the story BS and then McD confirms one of the most damning parts.

I have no doubts that the story is legitimate. 

1) Dunne is a highly respected writer with an immense number of sources. He would not jeopardize his career to bash a random coach.
2) Much of what was written in the article is what we have seen and assumed for many years. It matches. 

3) McKenzie publicly spoke about some of this.

Those who believe its made up simply want to believe its made up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I don't agree he's a good coach...but even if you believe that, you are still in excuse-making mode for McD. 

Well his coaching record says otherwise regardless of anyones opinion.  And no, I am not excuse making for McD, I haven't made a single excuse for him. 

You can literally go back and re-read the post I responded to and this one, you are flip-flopping...you are acknowledging that he's not a good game manager and his late-game blunders this year, even though they have been going on for YEARS now and this is no different than any of them. His QB just hasn't been elite enough to bail him out this time and so he's getting exposed for who he has always been. 

Did not flip flop on a single thing.  So no idea where you are getting that from.  Seems to me you are painting your own version of things I have said rather than taking the things I said at face value for what I actually said.  

This is what I mean...you are so rooted in your disdain for McD that you struggle to even comprehend what someone else might say if it isn't full of the same disdain you have.  Because throughout your post here, as you will see more below, you are completely off base in even understanding what I actually said in the posts you are responding to and referencing.  

You did in the post that I responded to say that you think McD should be fired if we don't make the playoffs...but if we make the playoffs again, it doesn't change that he's still a poor game manager, has no composure whatsoever late in games, and after 7 years on the job is STILL not prepared for late game strategy. All of that has to do with work ethic. He doesn't have it. That does not change if we simply make the playoffs.  

Basically, if 17 bails him out once again...he should stay? You changed the stance in the post you responded to me with saying no he shouldn't be here if we just make the playoffs, which that makes it more rational. 

Im not trying to be rude, but you clearly are not actually reading the posts you are responding to or just not paying attention when you do.  This exactly what I wrote in the very post you are responding to...and yet you still managed to write this reply above?

So should McD right now be fired...NO.  

Should he be if we miss the playoffs...YES.  

Should he be safe if we just make the playoffs...NO (but probably is).

I mean I literally stated right there that he should not be safe for just making the playoffs.  And then you go on to lecture me as if I am saying he should ONLY be fired if we MISS the playoffs?  Which is NOT at all what I said.  So you are again accusing me of saying or implying something that I did not do or say because you are either failing to comprehend what I actually said or just not reading the info you are responding to.    

But then you're going back to Dorsey being "the" problem, which I'm sure is how you scapegoated Frazier exactly the same way for years. Dorsey was "a" problem. McD is the one who hires these coordinators and lets them stay, and they operate through his philosophy. He is the Head Coach, this is something you just don't seem to be able to grasp. He IS responsible. Yes, we could have been much better with Brady running the offense for the whole year...WHO'S FAULT IS THAT???

I literally listed not getting rid of Dorsey SOONER is grounds for McD's future to be in jeopardy if the team does not turn it around.  I literally directly held him accountable and LITERALLY and VERBATIM said it should be one of the primary reasons why he should be fired if we do not turn the season around and make a deep playoff run.  Yet here you are again, completely making up some narrative and completely ignoring what I actually said.  

And lets say we run the table and make the playoffs and McD chokes again as usual and we bring him back...if we have a good season next year with Brady, he's probably going to be in talks for a head coaching job, right? And if he gets poached, we're back in the same boat of hoping and praying McD picks a good OC while still shouldering his horrific game management and late game failures? In what world is this a good plan?

It's this simple...we are not going to win a SB with a coach of McD's caliber, not now or ever. At best he's a major obstacle we would have to overcome to do it, at worst....we know what's at worst. Why do that to ourselves? 

He really should be gone no matter what if you are evaluating him for himself, not based on the way he might get bailed out once again for "just enough" results. The apologists have an inability to evaluate him for himself, not whether the QB bails him out or not. 

Again, you can't seem to separate someone being objective with someone who is an "apologist".  Nothing I have said makes me a McD apologist, I have literally stated not only in this thread, but in other threads, that his job should be on the line right now and if we miss the playoffs or squeak in and lose early or embarrassingly again that a HC change needs to happen.  Yet you keep coming at me twisting what I did say into things I did not say.  

26 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

you tell me how it doesnt ... .. you are way to ":cerebral" , i get your humor , your "funny" takes.. not into getting into it .. 

No part of what McDermott said or any the criticism levied against him touches on a single issue pertinent to economic, social, or political equality.  Said differently, all criticism of McDermott has nothing to do with social justice.  No is calling for McD to apologize to Al Qaeda or a marginalized segment of the population.  All criticism surrounds his ability to communicate with his players as highlighted by these speeches McD delivered which were considered anything but motivating according to those interviewed. 

Your turn.  Tell me how anything contained in this thread is at all relevant to issues of social justice. 

• Like (+1) 4

I never suggested Dunne is lying.  I think, maybe, Dunne doesn't like McD and so he looks for disgruntled ex-Bills employees to agree with him.  

Even if this were true, the fact that he could find 25 coaches and players that were willing to say such damning things about a coach who has only been a head coach for 6 years... that speaks volumes by itself.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Reading some of the comments made by McD over the last 6 weeks made me think that Dorsey was not an independent OC in the way that DeBoll was. Dorsey was a tool of McD his purpose was to implement what McD wanted out of HIS offense and more importantly out of HIS QB.  The placing of a governor on Allen's play which was the primary reason this offense struggled at times came from McD.  And for this reason alone McD should be fired.  Dorsey was only there to try to make McD's demands happen.

I’ve pointed this out before. Just look at all of the coordinator hires from within. In and of itself a hire from within is not a bad thing, but the situation with McDermott has been nothing but hires from within (plus him taking on DC duties himself). It smacks of tighter control and micromanagement. The lack of interest by those outside the Bills to want to work for him is also a very bad sign. It’s not like the coaching staff could not have used some fresh talent and ideas. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I have no doubts that the story is legitimate. 

1) Dunne is a highly respected writer with an immense number of sources. He would not jeopardize his career to bash a random coach.
2) Much of what was written in the article is what we have seen and assumed for many years. It matches. 

3) McKenzie publicly spoke about some of this.

Those who believe its made up simply want to believe its made up.

If Dunne were to make ***** up for clicks he'd find himself hanging with Doug Whaley and peddling old Rex Ryan dirt for beer money.  He has far too much to...crap.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

At some point, he won’t be able to get good assistants if he is known for this.  Who’d want to subject themselves to it?

Does he have good assistants now, or simply yes-men that he dragged with him from a former team?  

There's not a single distinguished coach on this staff.  

I haven't read it yet - just the OP & some of the comments.  I don't know if McD really is a narcissist or control freak - but I'd guess that a fair # of good & great coaches across all sports could fit those characterizations, at least loosely.  I don't think those qualities alone are necessarily 'bad,' at least when it comes to coaching a team successfully.

That's not to say McD is a good or great coach, but I wouldn't consider those things to be disqualifying.

All of that said, I'm personally very conflicted about McD.  I've been a supporter, but the 12-men game, and the meltdown against Philly, have me questioning if it wouldn't be better to start a new path.

Instead of hand-wringing and twisting my brain into a pretzel, I've settled on letting the rest of the season decide it, at least for me (which means little):  if McD can navigate the brutal schedule we have in front of us to make the playoffs - and particularly if we run the table - he should stay.  Imo.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Even if this were true, the fact that he could find 25 coaches and players that were willing to say such damning things about a coach who has only been a head coach for 6 years... that speaks volumes by itself.

That's not true and Dunne doesn't even claim that. 

Edited by Malazan

55 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dude, I can’t keep explaining this to you.  All you’re doing to everyone is ignoring info answering your question and then asking the same question.  This question has been answered multiple times now.  

But it’s a waste of time to discuss further because you’re never going to accept any answer that doesn’t directly blame McD for everything.  

Your questions are tangents, that's why.  

All this tertiary crap, who cares.  

And when you come straight out and say that year by year established numbers aren't facts, .... LOL  

Let's just call this.  

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.