Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

7 hours ago, Roundybout said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-mcdermott-problem-part-i-blame?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

A very long read, and the other parts are only for paid subscribers, but his sources paint a picture of McD as a narcissistic control freak who won’t take accountability for anything. 

Do with this what you will. 

Didn’t read article but I’ve already wanted him gone for a while now. Not shocking that he just isn’t that likeable. Your DC randomly quits and there were so many reports about him and Daboll not getting along. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is, in my memory at least, one of the all-time most savage hit pieces ever put out there by a sports writer.  EVER.  It is a straight-up hit job and Dunne surely knows it.

Not saying any of it is wrong, in fact it all makes COMPLETE sense to me and is exactly what I'd assumed based on the results on the field, the demeanor of McD's press conferences, and the rest of the "smoke" surrounding the franchise over the past few years (Dabs, Leslie, Diggs, etc.).

But it is SAVAGE.

(I will add, some of you are just conditioned to completely distrust "media elites" no matter what, but especially when the message is something you'd rather not hear.  You should, um, do some work on that.)

Agree

Can't think of anything quite like it considering the circumstances 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Tyler effin Dunn. OK then. Let me guess - one source is Booby Hart, the OL coach from the Bills and now on Dabills staff in NYC. The dude is a brutal coach, one of the worst as an OL coach and many players have said this. But yeah Tyler, McD is hated. BY YOU the biggest tool in Buffalo.

Gimme a break this artickle is so shite it's not even funny,. And BTW Tyler - McGovern wears Jordans on gameday!

What are you talking about?  Bobby Hart is a player.  Booby Hart is maybe a stripper you know?  This is barely legible stuff here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Didn’t read article but I’ve already wanted him gone for a while now. Not shocking that he just isn’t that likeable. Your DC randomly quits and there were so many reports about him and Daboll not getting along. 

Josh had thanksgiving dinner at Dabs during COVID. That probably pissed McD off to no end.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is, in my memory at least, one of the all-time most savage hit pieces ever put out there by a sports writer.  EVER.  It is a straight-up hit job and Dunne surely knows it.

Not saying any of it is wrong, in fact it all makes COMPLETE sense to me and is exactly what I'd assumed based on the results on the field, the demeanor of McD's press conferences, and the rest of the "smoke" surrounding the franchise over the past few years (Dabs, Leslie, Diggs, etc.).

But it is SAVAGE.

(I will add, some of you are just conditioned to completely distrust "media elites" no matter what, but especially when the message is something you'd rather not hear.  You should, um, do some work on that.)

Agree wholeheartedly with all of this. 

It’s really unfortunate and concerning way so many people talk about journalists these days. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

It has to be hard coming up with speeches to try and motivate players on broad concepts like communication year after year.   You see it every season on Hard Knocks.  Cringe worthy speeches by coaches and players.   Think Winston’s eat a W or Saleh’s raven speech. 

With that said, it is easy to avoid 9/11 references.  I have given McD a lot of latitude but it seems like his EQ is low.   I’m okay with moving on as soon as possible now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Just driving home.  

Wtf is going on? WFAN is ripping him, saying he should be fired.  

Tiki is saying this is a deliberate way of someone sabatoging McD to get fired for some bs from 19

When asked about the teams recent increase in false starts McD discussed how disciplined Hitler was and if we can borrow from that process we might be able to take the next step. He then touched on the importance of timing in the Eagles game saying sure Josh scored early, timing matters, just look at how Hamas attacked Israel.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It's funny these people were calling the story BS and then McD confirms one of the most damning parts.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But it is SAVAGE.

While I agree, Dunne is far from an elite

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mikie2times said:

When asked about the teams recent increase in false starts McD discussed how disciplined Hitler was and if we can borrow from that process we might be able to take the next step. He then touched on the importance of timing in the Eagles game saying sure Josh scored early, timing matters, just look at how Hamas attacked Israel.  

The worst part of all of it is….McD is closer to the shoe bomber than any of these guys. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Nah I'm good having zero trust in the media.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Agree wholeheartedly with all of this. 

It’s really unfortunate and concerning way so many people talk about journalists these days. 

I would agree, but sports bloggers without the restraints of an editor are hardly journalists.  Half of the stuff in this thing would have been cut by an editor at ESPN or SI because so much of it is Dunne adding his opinions and anger about the team to the actual quotes. He's more like a fan with access to players in this case.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Or maybe cook fumbles or drops balls alot in practices and is warned he'll get benched if he does it in games. We don't know, we're not in the building 

And they conveniently fail to mention when Cook came back in, it appeared he hadn't quite figured out why he was put in time out.  Cook ran harder but put the ball on the ground 2 more times.

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But it is SAVAGE.

And that shouldn't be a surprise given Dunne's closeness with Whaley and McDermott's pushing out of Whaley early. This is definitely a total journalisitc hit job of a type you rarely see. 

But that doesn't mean Dunne is wrong. I take it all with a pinch of salt but equally I suspect the majority of the core claims are at some basis factual. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Sure Ty, go post this on the eve of the KC game. 😡. FWIW, ye ‘ol anonymous sources. A welcome shield to hide behind for anyone with an axe to grind (note how Ty often refers to “former” players or coaches) and a convenient way to avoid a fact-check; (2) attributing an actual psychological diagnosis to McD (narcissistic personality) without any actual medical expert opinion to support is more than problematic for a serious “journalist” as Ty doubtless perceives himself to be, imho.

All that said, I’m sure some of his piece is accurate and my estimation of McD continues to slide—but my hope is we rally and kick the Chefs in their tails, as one thing I will never do, is root against the Bills under any circumstances, HC notwithstanding. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

48 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"The governor" was not to get JA17 hurt. Flame out like Cam?

I think that was part of it but McD's comments and the NFL network interview would indicate it was a lot more then that.  If in fact McD's trashing of Newton is to be believed then saving Allen from injury was the least of the reasons for doing what he did.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Johnnycage46 said:

I see some folks saying Dunne should have waited until the end of the season to release the article...that's not his job lol.  His job is to report.  

No it isn't.  He's a journalist without a country.  His job is to generate subscriptions for his website.  It's basically a blog - since there is no editor to vet your sources or remove the considerable bias associated with it.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Sure Ty, go post this on the eve of the KC game. 😡. FWIW, ye ‘ol anonymous sources. A welcome shield to hide behind for anyone with an axe to grind (note how Ty often refers to “former” players or coaches) and a convenient way to avoid a fact-check; (2) attributing an actual psychological diagnosis to McD (narcissistic personality) without any actual medical expert opinion to support is more than problematic for a serious “journalist” as Ty doubtless perceives himself to be, imho.

All that said, I’m sure some of his piece is accurate and my estimation of McD continues to slide—but my hope is we rally and kick the Chefs in their tails, as one thing I will never do, is root against the Bills under any circumstances, HC notwithstanding. 

If he worked for a publication that had editors, this never would have been published. You can't have that many sources and not name them.. or even try to accurately attribute them.

However, given McDermott's confirmation of the 9/11 reference and the constant drama that seems to surround this team the last couple years.. it's time to move in another direction. The organization needs some fresh air. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JoeF said:

Mitch is the man!  Hysterical...

So the Bills head coach is a egotistical ####### who has led the team to playoff berth 6 out of 7 years after a 17 year drought.  If the Bills fire him he will be on the market about a day before getting another offer.  Hope they have a solid plan B if this is the route they take.  Letting Josh hand pick his head coach is not a strategy.

Josh has led this team to the majority of those playoffs, not McD. We are making in in spite of coaching. Coaching is what is limiting us from getting to the next level. 

• Like (+1) 1

Knowing the controversy I feel this is Bills in house that are adding another layer to getting rid of McD.

It was a freaking speech and factually correct, even though it was by terrorists,  it was technically the truth about communication. 

I know 3 of my buddies parents that died that day and Idgaf about this speech

27 minutes ago, Process said:

Terrible look for McDermott but Dunne is the biggest loser in all of this. Tries to make a career for himself by tearing another man down and attempting to get him fired. 

Loser!

Talk about deflecting.  About time this came out.  

Same with people defending the 9/11 analogy.  Who would use (or think it was smart) 9/11 terrorists in a positive light?

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Tyler Dunne is a goof. He was on Lil Dirtys podcast a few times and was basically a talking puppet spewing crap every time.  The Bills don't even let him in the building with a press pass for real. This guy is 100% a goof. Not a trusted writer by any means. He will definitely have to look over his shoulder at the stadium on gameday now lemme tell ya. He's now in trouble.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Araiza Curse said:

Josh has led this team to the majority of those playoffs, not McD. We are making in in spite of coaching. Coaching is what is limiting us from getting to the next level. 

The man took a loser franchise and made them into a top 3 -5 teqm every year since 2020. 

Be careful what you wish for, the grass isn't always greener 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Talk about deflecting.  About time this came out.  

Same with people defending the 9/11 analogy.  Who would use 9/11 terrorists in a positive light?

He didn't - even if it was true and it soo isn't - Tyler goofboy Dunne said the 911 passenger son the plane, not the fake terrorists.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

Tyler Dunne is a goof. He was on Lil Dirtys podcast a few times and was basically a talking puppet spewing crap every time.  The Bills don't even let him in the building with a press pass for real. This guy is 100% a goof. Not a trusted writer by any means. He will definitely have to look over his shoulder at the stadium on gameday now lemme tell ya. He's now in trouble.

lol this reads a hell of a lot like a direct threat.

• Eyeroll 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.