It’s Chiefs week - and the season is on the line

Einstein

50 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah it definitely is maddening.  That being said, in the grand scheme of things, we aren't in those positions that often(except this year) since we typically are blowing teams out.  They also had the best regular season record since 2020 and haven't lost in the regular season by more than 6 points in over 2 years(Indy 11/21/21 was the last time), so that simply shows how few times they have actually lost and how hard it is to beat them...and in most cases, the Bills do far more to beat themselves than the other team actually does.  

Your last sentence is what worries me about winning 4 or 5 more games  this season. We all know Buffalo "can" beat anyone left in the schedule, but far to much this year we've watched Buffalo blunder away games. And against the likes of the jets and NE nonetheless. 

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

To be fair though, most of those hires were made under the ownership of Ralph Wilson. He was notoriously cheap with coaching hires. He only opened up the wallet a couple times and not coincidentally had some success then with Knox and Marv. He was even too cheap to pay Saban.

This isn’t entirely true. John Rauch, Lou Saban II, Chuck Knox, and Marv Levy were all at or near the top of head coaching salaries. And at one time or another he had the highest paid players at their respective positions in the league, not the least of which was Kelly who he made the highest paid player in history at the time. 

He often rewarded successful coaches and players. Had any of his cheaper coaching hires had panned out, he would have awarded them as well, imo. 

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This isn’t entirely true. John Rauch, Lou Saban II, Chuck Knox, and Marv Levy were all at or near the top of head coaching salaries. And at one time or another he had the highest paid players at their respective positions in the league, not the least of which was Kelly who he made the highest paid player in history at the time. 

He often rewarded successful coaches and players. Had any of his cheaper coaching hires had panned out, he would have awarded them as well, imo. 

I mentioned Knox and Levy already. Ralph rarely opened up the wallet for a “ name brand” coach. He did with Knox and it was one of the few successful eras of the team under his ownership. Pegulas have had 2 hires and are 1-1 in that department. Perhaps they’d be successful with a new hire if they moved on from McD. 

6 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Probably more to do with the inability to replenish their wide receivers.  They are mediocre at that position across the board.  

Agreed.

I think there might be a little less intensity and focus over there as well, which is a common result when you you have that kind of success. 

I'm also a little suspicious that Mahomes body might be starting to give him some trouble. He was never a world class specimen and has played a lot of games over the last 6 years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Agreed.

I think there might be a little less intensity and focus over there as well, which is a common result when you you have that kind of success. 

I'm also a little suspicious that Mahomes body might be starting to give him some trouble. He was never a world class specimen and has played a lot of games over the last 6 years.

They've also done the same thing they do with Kelce injured nothing a shot won't cure, go ahead and run on that janky ass ankle. At some point stuff like that adds up.

26 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I mentioned Knox and Levy already. Ralph rarely opened up the wallet for a “ name brand” coach. He did with Knox and it was one of the few successful eras of the team under his ownership. Pegulas have had 2 hires and are 1-1 in that department. Perhaps they’d be successful with a new hire if they moved on from McD. 

Fair enough. But really, every owner rarely opens their wallet for a name brand coach. Partly because they are rarely available and in the rare cases they are it’s usually because the the bloom is off the rose, their teams are in decline and they are fired. 

Good point about the Pegulas as they certainly won’t be afraid to pay top dollar for someone. But again, what top coach will be available? The great coaches tend to stay where they achieved their greatness.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBaumer said:

I don’t want to win this game, I want to absolutely curb stomp this team. We have the better team, so freaking show up and get it done.

If the defense shows up at the start the offense should take advantage of that and take as much of a lead as they can, you never know when it's going to disappear and you're in a shootout.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Is it DeVito being as good as Mahomes or Mahomes being as bad as DeVito? Whoever came up with this at CBS is a shallow idiot.

Well, it does suggest that at least some of the adulation Mahomes receives might be hype, or lack of critical thinking on the part of media and fans. Facts don't play a big a role in determining quality of play as one would think they would. 

The NFL, microcosm of the world...

Sean McD and his craptastic defensive schemes cost us the Pats and Eagles games. I won’t even get into Denver.

So Sean owes us a couple make up victories over KC and Dallas.  Let’s do it McDermott and get the naysayers like me off your back.

Can't wait for this game to get the bad thoughts of the Philly game out. I been saying all season that KC offense is not good.  They have had good games just like us but also bad games just like us. I think we actually have better weapons than they do this year.  They have Pacheco and an aging Kelce.  Thats about it.  As long as our offense plays like it has the last two weeks, we have a good shot at winning this one.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Can't wait for this game to get the bad thoughts of the Philly game out. I been saying all season that KC offense is not good.  They have had good games just like us but also bad games just like us. I think we actually have better weapons than they do this year.  They have Pacheco and an aging Kelce.  Thats about it.  As long as our offense plays like it has the last two weeks, we have a good shot at winning this one.  

You're not entirely wrong, but Pacheco and an aging Kelce is A Lot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Your last sentence is what worries me about winning 4 or 5 more games  this season. We all know Buffalo "can" beat anyone left in the schedule, but far to much this year we've watched Buffalo blunder away games. And against the likes of the jets and NE nonetheless. 

Agreed...it's almost unfathomable how we are in the position we find ourselves in. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Sure but not as much as last year.  We have a Diggs, Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, and even Davis would be their #1 wr on the Chiefs this year.  Also, regardless of what people think, our Oline has played really well this year.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Doesn't seem like that much when they have scored 21 or fewer points 7 of their 12 games. At some point you are what your results say you are. This says their much improved D has carried that team with an average to below average offense for much of the year.  That D could remain scary good for quite some time...most of their good players outside of Chris Jones are 1st or 2nd year players.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Probably more to do with the inability to replenish their wide receivers.  They are mediocre at that position across the board.  

Yup. Dropping balls, running wrong routes, running bad routes. 

Got a feeling that they get this cleaned up this week. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Yup. Dropping balls, running wrong routes, running bad routes. 

Got a feeling that they get this cleaned up this week. 

I am not sure why they would be more likely to suddenly be good this week,  although that is always possible I suppose.  

26 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Sure but not as much as last year.  We have a Diggs, Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, and even Davis would be their #1 wr on the Chiefs this year.  Also, regardless of what people think, our Oline has played really well this year.

Kelce has 74 ypg this season.  Last season it was 78.  8.7 vs 8.8 y/tgt.  Not much fall off.  3.9 1st downs per game vs 4.6 is probably significant.

The Chiefs rookie 2nd rounder Rashee Rice is at 52 receptions and 49.3 ypg, though that's a bit skewed by 100+ yd game vs. LVR. 

So no, factually, Davis at 39 receptions and 49.6 ypg would not be the Chiefs #1 wr (and factually, the Chiefs #1 receiver has been Kelce for several years now)

Diggs of course would be their #1 WR, but Shakir is at the same level of contribution as the Chiefs Justin Watson or MVS.

Kincaid is starting to contribute, thankfully

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Kelce has 74 ypg this season.  Last season it was 78.  8.7 vs 8.8 y/tgt.  Not much fall off.  3.9 1st downs per game vs 4.6 is probably significant.

The Chiefs rookie 2nd rounder Rashee Rice is at 52 receptions and 49.3 ypg, though that's a bit skewed by 100+ yd game vs. LVR. 

So no, factually, Davis at 39 receptions and 49.6 ypg would not be the Chiefs #1 wr (and factually, the Chiefs #1 receiver has been Kelce for several years now)

Diggs of course would be their #1 WR, but Shakir is at the same level of contribution as the Chiefs Justin Watson or MVS.

Kincaid is starting to contribute, thankfully

Sorry I dont agree with you.  Kelce has not been the same factor as he has been.  That is not to say he hasnt been a factor.  That is to say that he isn't the same.  I don't care what the stats show.  Roughly half his games this season have been under 60 yards.  He only has 9 catches of 20+ yards this year and only 5 tds.  He is still good but he has lost a little bit.

I also don't agree on receivers.  When I say receivers I am talking about WR.  TE's are not part of that equation in the sense I am talking about.  Davis is just as good or better than any receiver they have.  I am not even a Davis supporter.  You can't use stats to quantify that because his stats here would not necessarily be his stats there.  What I have seen there is their guys dropping balls all season.  Not unlike Davis but it's all their guys.  Rice is probably their most sure receiver.  They have not succesfully replace JuJu and while JuJu isn't elite like Diggs, he was still better than the other receivers they currently have.  So, IMO their weapons are not as good as last season.

6 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

Man, we must have this win. There is no tomorrow. Our playoffs start now. I hope this team plays with that understanding and the appropriate aggressiveness. 

Not actual aggressiveness but ‘appropriate’ aggressiveness. That pretty much sums up the McD ere. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's gotta suck to be KC and knowing you're the old scrawny lion, ribs showing through your patchy fur,  just waiting for the young guy to come whip your ass and take your kingdom 

I hear yips and howls on the horizon, Chiefs "kingdom "

Yeah really sucks to be them I’m sure. Polishing those recent Super Bowl trophies must be terrible. 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Sorry I dont agree with you.  Kelce has not been the same factor as he has been. 

Women weaken legs. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.