Sources say ZERO PERCENT chance McD is fired

Brand J

2 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I remember those drought years when we fired coach, after coach. We finally get a good one now we want to run him out of town lol. I’m really amazed how Mike Tomlin kept his job for so long lol. 

Steelers fans have a bit more stability - like their franchise.

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes and trading up fpr one.

I see they are listening to your recommendation again.

/S

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think the feelings/opinions of the core players would play a big role. 

…and I think the feelings/opinions of the fans (especially the extremists) will play no role whatsoever. As it should be. This is not a time to be making rash, emotional decisions. Now is the time to be looking at the Big Picture. That is what I expect, and why I think McD is back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Let me ask, what happened to Josh Allen in the first half of the Jacksonville, NY Giants, Bucs, Patriots, Bengals, and Broncos?

You know, when the offense couldn't get going...couldn't run, couldn't pass, and was falling on its face against some bad teams. The Bills were lucky that the refs didn't call penalties at the end of the Giants, and Bucs games or Buffalo just might be 4-8 right now. 

Wasn't Josh Allen the QB in those losses to Jacksonville 20-25? New England 25-29? Cincinnati 20-24? Denver 22-24? 

Yet, suddenly scores 32 points against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Takes the NFC Camps to OT in a 34-37 loss. 

Talk to Ken Dorsey...who is now unemployed. 

A very similar analogy can be made about the defensive failures except the DC hasn’t been fired yet…, 

GO BILLS!!!

(some sarcasm included)

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

A very similar analogy can be made about the defensive failures except the DC hasn’t been fired yet…, 

GO BILLS!!!

(some sarcasm included)

Now imagine the Buffalo offense without Cook, without Allen, without Diggs as the defense lost their 3 best players in Milano, Tre White, and DaQuan Jones along with Von Miller still not 100%.

What would that Buffalo offense look like even if they still had Allen but lost Kincade? That Buffalo defense is still pretty darn good even with all the injuries to star players.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I remember those drought years when we fired coach, after coach. We finally get a good one now we want to run him out of town lol. I’m really amazed how Mike Tomlin kept his job for so long lol. 

might be the Lombardi's that Tomlin has, and the lack of late game meltdowns.  

there is also a case for Tomlin being fired, many Steeler fans are sick of making the playoffs and losing.  (haven't won a playoff game since 2017).  He is managing a great season this year with a "game manager" at QB.  

1 hour ago, Augie said:

…and I think the feelings/opinions of the fans (especially the extremists) will play no role whatsoever. As it should be. This is not a time to be making rash, emotional decisions. Now is the time to be looking at the Big Picture. That is what I expect, and why I think McD is back. 

Agreed.  But the big picture is that McD has proven to be a coach who does not learn from past mistakes, blames others, and continues to meltdown in big moments year over year.  Not sure why people expect that to change.  What got the Bills here won't get them to where they want to go.  

3 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

I looks more and more like the Pegulas are more committed to stability and sustainability then to winning a Super Bowl.

sure is what it seems like.  or Pegs is sick and enjoys losing close games that we should have won ?  

• Eyeroll 1

52 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Now imagine the Buffalo offense without Cook, without Allen, without Diggs as the defense lost their 3 best players in Milano, Tre White, and DaQuan Jones along with Von Miller still not 100%.

What would that Buffalo offense look like even if they still had Allen but lost Kincade? That Buffalo defense is still pretty darn good even with all the injuries to star players.

Pretty darn good? Yes, except in the fourth quarter of many close games this season, don’t get me wrong missing “three top players “ doesn’t help, but the end results are what they are, a lot of that falls on the DC to be creative and come up with a work around, like not lining up five to eight yards off the line of scrimmage and getting his azs handed to him repeatedly,  that’s not on the player, it’s on the coach, jmo. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/30/2023 at 1:30 PM, HumbleAndHungry said:

What do Marv and Sean both have in common?  They both had Elite QB play.  If Chan Gailey had Josh Allen we'd be saying the same thing about him.  The QB that one inherits plays such a huge role in a coaches "success"

Chan Gailey wouldn't have allocated 65% of his draft resources to defense.  And this ridiculous argument that losing 3 top defensive players affected Sean's late game playcalling mistakes is hilarious. 

4 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Its because the Steelers org doesn't listen to their fans or the outside opinion. Make no mistake though, there's a large vocal group of them on the internet that have wanted Tomlin gone for years. It's no different than here. The same types of groups existed when Bill Cowher was the coach. Its also the same types of folks that think Marty Shotenheimer sucked as a coach, even though truly he never had the QB to get it done, and when he almost did (old version of Joe Montana), the Bills team full of hall of famers, including Kelly the QB had something to say about it. Many of the coaching greats in the game have 0 to 1 Super Bowl Victory, and many times it was because there was an even greater team ahead of them in their conference. There were some great Cowboy teams that got left out of the Superbowl because the Niners existed, and the exact opposite also happened.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 34-78-83 said:

The same types of groups existed when Bill Cowher was the coach.

I was one of those.

I thought keeping him around way too long while he mismanaged the best roster in the league probably cost them multiple titles.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Steelers fans have a bit more stability - like their franchise.

I see they are listening to your recommendation again.

/S

The Steelers are not wasting a generational talent with Mike Tomlin. 

If we were doing what we are doing now with Tyrod Taylor, Geno Smith or Mitch Trubisky, there would not be any complaining. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

That Buffalo defense is still pretty darn good even with all the injuries to star players.

The odd thing about the defense is that they can play very well all game, but as soon as you need 1 critical stop, with the game on the line, they will fold. 

That's the most frustrating part, in my opinion. The injuries don't keep them from playing like a top 10 defense for 58 minutes. Just those last 2 minutes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Let me ask, what happened to Josh Allen in the first half of the Jacksonville, NY Giants, Bucs, Patriots, Bengals, and Broncos?

You know, when the offense couldn't get going...couldn't run, couldn't pass, and was falling on its face against some bad teams. The Bills were lucky that the refs didn't call penalties at the end of the Giants, and Bucs games or Buffalo just might be 4-8 right now. 

Wasn't Josh Allen the QB in those losses to Jacksonville 20-25? New England 25-29? Cincinnati 20-24? Denver 22-24? 

Yet, suddenly scores 32 points against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Takes the NFC Camps to OT in a 34-37 loss. 

Talk to Ken Dorsey...who is now unemployed. 

Assuming no one is fired and the offense looks elite with Joe Brady as OC next year, he will be gone in 2025. Then it will be up to McDermott to hire his replacement. The same guy that hired Ken Dorsey and lucked into Joe Brady (Davis Webb was his first choice for QB coach) will have to keep replacing OCs throughout Josh Allen's career. You feel good about that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The odd thing about the defense is that they can play very well all game, but as soon as you need 1 critical stop, with the game on the line, they will fold. 

That's the most frustrating part, in my opinion. The injuries don't keep them from playing like a top 10 defense for 58 minutes. Just those last 2 minutes.

It’s the COACH that keeps them from playing that way. This isn’t all that complicated! 

24 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Sean McDermott has not done a good job as DC. That to me is beyond doubt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s a common football dilemma. McDermott is the Dak Prescott of NFL coaching. Some weeks you believe and others not so much but there are plenty of fair arguments to go around.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Assuming no one is fired and the offense looks elite with Joe Brady as OC next year, he will be gone in 2025. Then it will be up to McDermott to hire his replacement. The same guy that hired Ken Dorsey and lucked into Joe Brady (Davis Webb was his first choice for QB coach) will have to keep replacing OCs throughout Josh Allen's career. You feel good about that?

You got that right!!! He doesn't have Sam Darnold as his QB this go around... I can't imagine who he would have chosen if Davis Webb had been in place instead who didn't have any experience at ALL as OC.

McD is going to continue to piss away meaningful games with bizarre late game collapses.  It's just what he does. In crunch time you couldn't pull a credit card from between his butt cheeks with a tractor. 13 seconds defines him. He's competitive but not a closer. And it looks like we get to see this movie again all next year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I was one of those.

I thought keeping him around way too long while he mismanaged the best roster in the league probably cost them multiple titles.

Thinking Kordel Stewart was a solution at QB was fun though!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

McDermott has had seven years to "fix his blind spots". Seven years is a long-ass time in the NFL. A handful of seasons with an elite quarterback and failing to reach the Super Bowl is not indicative of a "great coach".

If he was a great coach we would have at least one Super Bowl ring and likely multiple appearances. 

He's not a great coach. Not even close.

I agree but tbf, Harbaugh has the same amount of time with a supposed elite qb in Lamar and has 1 playoff win.

• Agree 1

On 11/30/2023 at 4:21 PM, ToGoGo said:

The fans need to relax. It’s been embarrassing on this board the last few months. 

Hold yourselves the way you want the Bills organization to hold themselves. 

I was plenty relaxed during the decade of fail. You reach an age where you wonder if it will happen in your lifetime. 

Not saying firing is the solution. Maybe we can revisit this after the season when we'll have a more complete picture.

I'm glad the Pegulas don't suffer from Tepper disease but this team suddenly got old and the window is closing.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Y’all are going to be even more excited when McD and BB go heavy on defense this draft and FA. The only DL under contract for next year are Groot and Oliver and we should be replacing both Hyde and Poyer. 

And with no money to spend! 2024 is looking like a retool year. The encouraging thing is that KC won a SB in their retool year so it can be done. Just very unlikely. 

36 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree but tbf, Harbaugh has the same amount of time with a supposed elite qb in Lamar and has 1 playoff win.

All fans, including OUR fans, can have lunatic views on things. That comes with death and taxes. 

49 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I was plenty relaxed during the decade of fail. You reach an age where you wonder if it will happen in your lifetime. 

Not saying firing is the solution. Maybe we can revisit this after the season when we'll have a more complete picture.

I'm glad the Pegulas don't suffer from Tepper disease but this team suddenly got old and the window is closing.

I don't think we're that old. I get that's the narrative - but it feels more inspired by Hyde & Poyer than any other position unit.  Our corners are young, our LB's, most of our D-line, Josh,  O-line outside of Morse, Cook, Kincaid, Knox.  Diggs just turned 30, but I don't really consider him old & he's still at the top of his game (imo).

We should draft a safety early next year.  

This report has also been spun as zero percent chance of firing in season. Also, the “strong working bond” between McDermott and Beane should be moot as they deserve to be fired together.

That being said, I expect both will be back next season and a new DC hired.

McD and Beane are both on borrowed time.  I do not think that the rest of this season is a favorable for Buffalo at all.  To many games to win with a safety margin of Zero.  That's is right, Zero % error margin for the next 5 games.  When have we seen this team this year play a game with out having some lame ass play, call, blown play or penalty happen in a game that was decided by one score. 

We do not have the coaching and or the discipline instilled in our players to play 5 consecutive games error free and not turning the ball over.

We do not have that in this team, and our 6-6 record this year proves it.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

55 minutes ago, Governor said:

Wait until the Bills are officially eliminated. The temperature is about to go up quite a bit.

Yep.  I swear, most fans at this forum have a "life span" with the team that is about 1 week long.  We fired the OC, have looked much better on offense 2 games in a row, won one, and should have beaten maybe the best team in the league...and so fans are back to thinking we are headed to the SB. 

If we lose in KC, for example, it will be over and everyone on the team will know that. If that leads to a collapse, and ugly finish to the season, the temperature will go up quite a bit, as you write.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yep.  I swear, most fans at this forum have a "life span" with the team that is about 1 week long.  We fired the OC, have looked much better on offense 2 games in a row, won one, and should have beaten maybe the best team in the league...and so fans are back to thinking we are headed to the SB. 

If we lose in KC, for example, it will be over and everyone on the team will know that. If that leads to a collapse, and ugly finish to the season, the temperature will go up quite a bit, as you write.

I like Tim but this is obviously OBD trying to get out in front of this train wreck and honestly, it’s intended to make the fan base feel powerless in the process, and I don’t like those tactics one bit.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Hey, McD started with OC Rick Dennison in 2017 and that guy wasn't up to par even though the Bills made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor at QB. So, FIRED!

The next man up was a hire that wasn't on the roster in Brian Daboll. Seemed like a smart move considering he had an NE Patriot background and the Bills were running the same offensive scheme in Erhardt/Perkins as the Patriots. It turned out to be A very smart move as this man helped guide QB Josh Allen into one of the very best QBs in the league.  (Also, Buffalo also parted ways with O line/run game coordinator Jusn Castillio) Along with several different coaches that haven't been good enough. WR coach, ST coach, and so on. 

It looks to me like this HC will hold his assistants accountable in their jobs. It wouldn't surprise me to see the current Buffalo Bills special teams coach fired after this season. (12 players on the field costing a game)

All the hate for McD and yet so many have a weak memory. I recall the Bills this season when they had a full force on defense going 48-20 against the hottest offense in the league with the Miami Dolphins. After this Miami game, there was no doubt that McD was as good as a DC as there was.

If I can make a conjecture here. I think that there are several assistant coaches on the Buffalo staff that are supposed to be helping the HC with observations on the field during games. They have failed McD on many occasions and he takes the blame. Calling the defensive plays can take a lot of the attention of that play caller and it must be difficult to do both HC & DC. I suspect he will hire a full-time DC after this season. 

The defensive injuries to the super-star players have really, really hurt this team this season.

What will do Sean McDermott in for his Bills head coaching job will be the Buffalo Bills being in the hunt and mediocre for the next few years. You can’t sell mediocre to Buffalo Bills fans being asked to pay a lot more money for tickets in the new Bills stadium. I think the odds that Sean McDermott will be fired before the new Bills stadium ever opens is 100% guaranteed. Because most Bills fans are already over Sean McDermott trust the process crap it’s like the Buffalo Sabres hockey heaven just words with no results behind it. I have lived in Buffalo my whole life 55 years and counting. Buffalo fan isn’t parting with there hard earned money to watch mediocre crap with zero chance of winning a Super Bowl or Stanley Cup and that is where Sean McDermott has driven the Bills into the ground with his poor leadership and Don Granato of the Sabres should be fired for not being a major league head coach in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 11/30/2023 at 1:18 PM, QB Bills said:

Allen has a chat with Pegula and tells him "it's him or me".

This would be a winey and peckerhead thing for Josh to do. I can't see him doing that.   If he did though I would hope Terry tells him to pack his trash.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Dislike 1

I despise that term, "zero percent chance." Imprecise, lazy, hyperbolic, self-indulgent, attention-getting tripe. The chances of McDermott being fired is nowhere near zero percent, even putting aside unlikely scenarios like him being arrested or whatever. If the team lost out, for example, or the team rebelled (as they might, if they lose out), he's gone. Not exactly a "zero percent chance." 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 12/1/2023 at 7:23 AM, Thurman#1 said:

"35 consecutive regular season games of losing by one score or less," you say? 

Your meaning there is really unclear, but whatever you're trying to say there, it doesn't apply to McDermott. McDermott's had a lot of big wins that were far more than one-score games, even just this year. And we've also won a couple of one-score games just this year, the Giants, and the Bucs.

It is true, though, that McDermott is a bit below .500 in one-score games. We ought to look around for a guy with a good record in one-score games.

Hey, Adam Gase went 27-12 in one-score games. He's obviously a fantastic coach! Let's bring him in!

I bet he's available!!!!

Are you serious?

Why would someone with Pegula's ear publicly tell anyone what he's confidentially saying? He'd get fired. Unless he spoke as a confidential source. That's how journalism works.

How much junk The Athletic puts out that turn out wrong the next day? Not much at all. No journalism is perfect, like the rest of human endeavor. But the Athletic is a good outlet.

Graham is trustworthy, has a ton of solid sources around the league, and has four sources for this story. This is trustworthy. More, it was predictable, it's how Terry works that if you do a damn good job for a long time he won't be quick to let you go. It's how good ownership should work. 

Yea your looking at this wrong...  There is likely only 3 or 4 people in the organization that know if he is on a hotseat or not and they do not kiss and tell.. Even when it comes to their own family..   You do understand.. This is the same Athletic that said we were likely going to get a domed stadium weeks before we didn't.  they make more than just a few mistakes here and there..... 

Here is the whole stupid thing about this...  There is no way in heck any organization is not going to reevaluate things at the end of a bad year.. To come out and say before the season is over that there is little chance McD is going anywhere?  So you really think the organization is saying... "yep we don't even care if the team loses out... hes not going anywhere... he is not the issues"   come on man....that's just crazy talk ...

Here is the Joke.. Do you really think Pegula is going to go to the athletic and put this out there? 

Lets say he did put this out there.. Don't you think maybe he put it out there  just to calm the fans about a potential firing in hopes that McD turns this around? 

to the bolded? I doubt either happened... 

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

This would be a winey and peckerhead thing for Josh to do. I can't see him doing that.   If he did though I would hope Terry tells him to pack his trash.

Why exactly? Josh Allen is the most expensive employee in the entire Pegula empire. You don’t think the guy who’s paying him all that money doesn’t have an open door policy when it comes to his opinion? Or is it just the way the original poster phrased it? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Sure he's going to keep McDermott over a generational QB.  

I've seen a lot of posts in my life on different messages boards, Twitter, family dinners, Facebook, drinking with buddies, but this takes the cake.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

McD and Beane are both on borrowed time.  I do not think that the rest of this season is a favorable for Buffalo at all.  To many games to win with a safety margin of Zero.  That's is right, Zero % error margin for the next 5 games.  When have we seen this team this year play a game with out having some lame ass play, call, blown play or penalty happen in a game that was decided by one score. 

We do not have the coaching and or the discipline instilled in our players to play 5 consecutive games error free and not turning the ball over.

We do not have that in this team, and our 6-6 record this year proves it.

I disagree about Beane. I have plenty of criticism on some of his picks and moves, but the team he gave McD this year, despite the injuries,  should in no way be 6-6. The losses to the Jets, Pats, Broncos and Eagles is on the coaches only. Beane had zero to do with those embarrassing displays. At minimum we should have 10 wins.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.