If we win out...what is impact on coaching decisions?

Alphadawg7

What happens if we win out...  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What if we make the playoffs and the offense keeps rolling rest of season with Brady at OC?

• McD is back as HC next year and Brady has interim tag removed and named OC
    • McD is back, but Brady leaves for another job (or Bills end up going another direction at OC)
    • Bills still fire MC and both McD and Brady are gone as new HC brings their own DC and OC
    • McD is fired and Joe Brady named HC who hires his own DC and OC
    • Other - Specify in comments
  2. 2. Bonus Question 1: Assuming a SB birth saves his job, is there any other way for McD to be "safe" this offseason?

• Nothing...he is gone unless we reach the Super Bowl
    • Just make the playoffs and he is likely safe one more season
    • Must win at least 1 game in the playoffs
    • Must at least reach the AFC Championship Game
  3. 3. Bonus Question 2: If McD is back, does he hire a DC?

• No, he will be HC/DC again
    • Yes, he will go back to HC and hire/promote a formal DC

I know a lot of people here don't think we can win out...but IMHO it is a real possibility if the offense keeps playing this way under Brady rest of year.  But let's skip the debate on whether we will or won't and talk briefly about what happens IF we do.  Because this team has already done this in 2021, and I started a thread then 6 games out saying I thought the Bills would run the table and win out, which they did.  And I again think they can this year if we can maintain our offensive momentum.  

BUT - Not a thread to debate whether we will or won't - It's about what happens with our Coaching decisions if say we HYPOTHETICALLY do.  I think its safe to say McD is likely fired if we miss the playoffs while having a healthy Josh and Diggs all season.  But if we go on a run, it creates some interesting coaching decisions/scenarios.

Let us hypothetically assume we go 11-6, make the playoffs - What happens with McD and Brady?  Right now, McD is clearly on the hot seat and I think will probably be fired if we miss the playoffs.  But if this team gets into the playoffs, the AFC is lacking in tough opponents right now and Bills could certainly make some noise and win a couple games.  Still in 2021, our schedule was not as hard as what we have remaining now, so it won't be easy...but it is certainly possible.  

Think about these questions if this played out this way:

• Does McD get fired or retained if we make win out to make the playoffs?  
  • Would Brady be a hot HC candidate and we lose him to another team if the offense rolls for the rest of the season and post season?
  • Would McD still get fired even if we make the playoffs but fail to reach at least AFCCG? 
  • If McD is fired, would Brady be a serious consideration to replace him if the offense keeps rolling?  
  • If McD saved his job, would he be HC/DC again next year or just HC and hire an DC?  

Posted some poll questions addressing these scenarios :) 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

It will probably take going 5-0 the rest of the way to make the playoffs. If the team does that it is hard to imagine McD being kicked to the curb.

Also, if the offense continues to perform as it has the last 2 weeks under Brady, I think he definitely becomes the "permanent" OC.

In this scenario, I think McD will promote someone to DC, but it will likely be in name only as he will continue to press all the buttons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

You appear to be asking what folks think will happen vs what folks want to happen ...

With that said:

If we finish above .500, McD will be here next season, playoffs or not. IMO.

(And I do think that's right bc one more season has been earned with division titles, playoff qualifying seasons and some playoff wins, and because continuity wins with far more regularity than a shake up even though they are "sexy")

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I know a lot of people here don't think we can win out...but IMHO it is a real possibility if the offense keeps playing this way under Brady rest of year.  But let's skip the debate on whether we will or won't and talk briefly about what happens IF we do.  Because this team has already done this in 2021, and I started a thread then 6 games out saying I thought the Bills would run the table and win out, which they did.  And I again think they can this year if we can maintain our offensive momentum.  

BUT - Not a thread to debate whether we will or won't - It's about what happens with our Coaching decisions if say we HYPOTHETICALLY do.  I think its safe to say McD is likely fired if we miss the playoffs while having a healthy Josh and Diggs all season.  But if we go on a run, it creates some interesting coaching decisions/scenarios.

Let us hypothetically assume we go 11-6, make the playoffs and say reach the AFCCG - What happens with McD and Brady?  Right now, McD is clearly on the hot seat and I think will probably be fired if we miss the playoffs.  But if this team gets into the playoffs, the AFC is lacking in tough opponents right now and Bills could certainly make some noise and win a couple games.  Still in 2021, our schedule was not as hard as what we have remaining now, so it won't be easy...but it is certainly possible.  

Think about these questions if this played out this way:

• Does McD get fired or retained if we end up in the AFCCG again but don't advance?
  • Would Brady be a hot HC candidate and we lose him to another team if the offense rolls for the rest of the season and post season?
  • Would McD still get fired even if we reach AFCCG but lose again?  
  • If McD is fired, would Brady be a serious consideration to replace him if the offense keeps rolling?  
  • If McD saved his job, would he be HC/DC again next year or just HC and hire an DC?  

Posted some poll questions addressing these scenarios :) 

Not the offense I'm worried about. they will produce. It's the defense playing good until the 4th quarter and then The Clapmaster calls deep prevent until the other team catches up and then they collapse and he sites Hindsight.

When are we (the fans) going to hold the special teams coach to the fire?? I can think of 3 games where if not for special teams blunders, the Bills would have came out victorious. Jets, Eagles and Broncos from the top of my head. What's good for Ken Dorsey should be good for this gander

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Imo, if McDermott stays nothing will change from what we have seen thus far, any OC worth his salt will end up in conflict with Sean over offensive style/scheme, being that Sean will continue to insist his defenses can win crucial games, which they can’t, that and he will continue to under resource the offense in favor of the defense,  it is what it is with Sean, he isn’t going to change what he does. Imo we need a HC that views football from a more offense first mindset. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the next 2 games they split and if the wheels fell off go 0-2. If that happens the coach will be fired at the end of the year because the playoffs become all but impossible. 

my gutt says they make the playoffs as a wildcard and lose in the first round. Coach gets fired to appease the fans. 

I see Brady moving on be an OC elsewhere, probably with a new HC somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Imo, if McDermott stays nothing will change from what we have seen thus far, any OC worth his salt will end up in conflict with Sean over offensive style/scheme, being that Sean will continue to insist his defenses can win crucial games, which they can’t, that and he will continue to under resource the offense in favor of the defense,  it is what it is with Sean, he isn’t going to change what he does. Imo we need a HC that views football from a more offense first mindset. 

GO BILLS!!!

Didn't McD claim "Complimentary" football and wasn’t  happy with hurry up after the quick td vs. Cicny and wanted more rest for the defence?  He is responsible fpr Offence Defence and ST, and has blundered all this year.

How is he not responsible for 12 men on the field vs. Denver?

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I think the next 2 games they split and if the wheels fell off go 0-2. If that happens the coach will be fired at the end of the year because the playoffs become all but impossible. 

my gutt says they make the playoffs as a wildcard and lose in the first round. Coach gets fired to appease the fans. 

I see Brady moving on be an OC elsewhere, probably with a new HC somewhere. 

I see at least 1-2 heartbreaking losses coming down the stretch unfortunately.

28 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

You appear to be asking what folks think will happen vs what folks want to happen ...

With that said:

If we finish above .500, McD will be here next season, playoffs or not. IMO.

(And I do think that's right bc one more season has been earned with division titles, playoff qualifying seasons and some playoff wins, and because continuity wins with far more regularity than a shake up even though they are "sexy")

So a coach  who goes to the AFC champ in 2020, single handily causes their team to lose in the divisional round the following year, then gets curbed stomped at home in 2022, followed by missing the playoffs totally the year after deserves…another year?

Put the above on a graph and you will notice a downward slope. As a business owner, if my company is on a steady down hill climb after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, and not to mention going on 4 years now, I’m making some significant changes.

This city, fan base, and organization doesn’t owe Sean McDermott a dang thing other than a knuckle sandwich if I see him in the parking lot for costing this team a Super Bowl trophy in 2022 and driving a Ferrari 10mph down the interstate.

Super Bowl or fired.

That’s my expectation the rest of the way and should be with the rest of the fan base. I’ve been done with this clown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I feel that he’ll be retained if he makes the playoffs.  I don’t agree with that decision, but I do feel Terry will keep him.  He might even keep him if we miss the playoffs. 

Personal feeling is that he SHOULD be fired unless we win at least 2 playoff games if we can hire Ben Johnson.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

That would mean McDermott learned something and maybe turned the corner?

I don’t see us winning KC or Dallas now

eapecially after that Philly let down unfortunately 

mentally we aren’t tough enough - and I just feel McDermott continues to prove he is not it and shoot’s himself in the foot - ultimately leading to his departure in January 

Just these next dew games require close games that need to be won by excellent decisions

i see our offensive coordinator getting it right now

not aure anout McDermott and that’s sad 

I firmly believe that barring a major public mutiny from the players he will be back next season regardless of what happens from here on out.

Most likely will have Joe Brady as the OC and I believe Eric Washington will be moved to the DC position (though I think I'd be partial to Bobby Babich from what I've seen).

I do believe next year he enters the season under the gun a bit and a slow start could seal his fate by the midway point of the year. 

After the years of regular season success they have had under McDermott I don't see any way Pegula doesn't give him the chance to "right the ship" and fix it. I don't agree with it, and it feels at this point like he would just be prolonging the inevitable. But putting aside what I'd do it seems like the most likely outcome.

My votes are what I think would happen, not what I’d want to happen. If they win out and the offense keeps rolling, I think he stays and Brady is poached for a HC position. Maybe the second was more what I wished would happen, and that’s he needs to make the AFC Championship game to keep his job. Regardless, I think he brings in a DC. The more Leslie Frazier has talked about it, the less I think he was canned, so I don’t know that McDermott actually intended to be the DC going into the season. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I firmly believe that barring a major public mutiny from the players he will be back next season regardless of what happens from here on out.

Most likely will have Joe Brady as the OC and I believe Eric Washington will be moved to the DC position (though I think I'd be partial to Bobby Babich from what I've seen).

I do believe next year he enters the season under the gun a bit and a slow start could seal his fate by the midway point of the year. 

After the years of regular season success they have had under McDermott I don't see any way Pegula doesn't give him the chance to "right the ship" and fix it. I don't agree with it, and it feels at this point like he would just be prolonging the inevitable. But putting aside what I'd do it seems like the most likely outcome.

It's being reported by Jay Glazer and was the back page headline/story in yesterday's Daily News that Daboll and Martindale aren't getting along. Wink could be an option for DC if he leaves the Giants at the end of year.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, 26TrapDraw said:

Not the offense I'm worried about. they will produce. It's the defense playing good until the 4th quarter and then The Clapmaster calls deep prevent until the other team catches up and then they collapse and he sites Hindsight.

I mean... prevent and "keep everything in front of you" doesn't mean... don't cover them.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It's being reported by Jay Glazer and was the back page headline/story in yesterday's Daily News that Daboll and Martindale aren't getting along. Wink could be an option for DC if he leaves the Giants at the end of year.

Wink is a great DC, however I don't think his defense meshes with what we have and how McDermott wants a defense run. Just my opinion. 

Feels like they have been grooming Washington this year to take over that role, and we know how much McDermott loves his "promote from within". 

FWIW, Both Daboll and the Giants players refute the story about Daboll/Wink. Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

1.  McD received a big extension last off-season.  The likely conversation preceding that conversation is "2023 is going to be a tough year for us due to the aging and banged up defense. Further, I really need to further evaluate Dorsey. Lets do the extension now, because fans will revolt if I am extended after the expected mediocre season".   The decision has likely already been made to bring him back no matter what.  To the best of my knowledge, None of Pegula, Beane, or McDermott made any public statements regarding what would be considered a successful 2023 Season.  We have no idea if the Pegula/Beane expectations align with the Fans expectations or if what they are seeing on the field is expected to them. 
  2. He will likely hire a DC for next season. Most likely promoting from within.
Edited by Chaos

If this team finds a way to make the Playoffs, then we're stuck with McD. Pegs won't fire him. If we don't, and the performances are consistent with what we've already seen, then my money is on Sean being sent packing. No matter what happens, I believe Beane is safe. 

I like Brady thus far, and believe he will return as OC if McDermott makes it another year. 

I also believe McDermott gives the reigns to someone else with the defense next year if he is still here. 

You know what would be a real kick in the gut though? If McDermott gets fired, then Pegs turns around and hires Leslie Frazier as HC. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I see this as most likely as well

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, kkim0904 said:

Why do we discuss the things will not happen.  Buffalo will not win out.  I hope I am wrong...

You are probably right. The two toughest are at KC and DAL. Those will be tough games and will probably be close one score games in the 4th quarter. We all know how the Bills do in that situation. If by some miracle they win those then running the table is a very realistic possibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

You are probably right. The two toughest are at KC and DAL. Those will be tough games and will probably be close one score games in the 4th quarter. We all know how the Bills do in that situation. If by some miracle they win those then running the table is a very realistic possibility. 

What's weird is I'm much more confident that we beat KC and Dallas than I am that we beat the Chargers. On the road against a team with a terrible HC that gives games away? That SCREAMS unexpected loss to me😂

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

It was proven last week that the Bills can beat any one as long as they do away with the mistakes and score when the opportunity is there if they drop passes & miss kicks they will give away the chances to win the game especially playing against other teams either as good or better than they are !! 

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

I feel that he’ll be retained if he makes the playoffs.  I don’t agree with that decision, but I do feel Terry will keep him.  He might even keep him if we miss the playoffs. 

Personal feeling is that he SHOULD be fired unless we win at least 2 playoff games if we can hire Ben Johnson.  

If we lose an opportunity to grab Ben Johnson and decide to keep this clown another year, it will set this team back.  I sure hope Bills fans realize McDermott has absolutely nothing to do with us making the playoffs.  It's 100% Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

If this team finds a way to make the Playoffs, then we're stuck with McD. Pegs won't fire him. If we don't, and the performances are consistent with what we've already seen, then my money is on Sean being sent packing. No matter what happens, I believe Beane is safe. 

I like Brady thus far, and believe he will return as OC if McDermott makes it another year. 

I also believe McDermott gives the reigns to someone else with the defense next year if he is still here. 

You know what would be a real kick in the gut though? If McDermott gets fired, then Pegs turns around and hires Leslie Frazier as HC

If McDermott gets fired but Beane stays, then it will be Beane leading the coaching search. No way Leslie is the next HC. If Pegula fires both then I could see him hiring Bill. Bring in a proven winner by making a big splash hire. A team on the decline won't help sell those tickets with raised prices and PSL fees. Bill will get everyone's hopes up that he and Josh can win the Lombardi.

Edited by Gregg

I agree with others who say that should the Bills go 5 - 0 the rest of the way and make the playoffs McD stays. I don't see how you could fire the guy especially if he then wins a playoff game or two. 

But should this happen there would still need to be a fundamental shift in the Bills focus from the defense to the offense.  For the next two years at a minimum at least 60% of the draft picks and FA money would have to go to surrounding Allen with better offensive talent.

This team isn't going 5-0, especially when these games will all be close and McDermott's decision making will be in the spotlight again.

I'm guessing conservative coaching on defense will be his downfall again...Allen will probably get the lead late in KC, and McDermott's defense will fold.

It sure seems we are living in a matrix and it's the same story every week.  

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If we lose an opportunity to grab Ben Johnson and decide to keep this clown another year, it will set this team back.  I sure hope Bills fans realize McDermott has absolutely nothing to do with us making the playoffs.  It's 100% Josh.

It might.  I agree.  

Fans have nothing to do with this though.

No team will ever make the playoffs 💯 on one player.  Ever.

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It might.  I agree.  

Fans have nothing to do with this though.

No team will ever make the playoffs 💯 on one player.  Ever.

We have more than one player. 

The oline is better.

We need upgrade at WR an the defense got old fast. Should be set at CB. Just need another pass rusher and a couple safeties. Safeties are cheap. They can replace one or both this off season. 

We are stuck with McD for 2024. Best hope is Allen Diggs and Brady overcome his defense 

I couldn't finish because question 2 does not have enough options.

I believe McDermott is safe even if the Bills don't make the playoffs. I believe he will be give at least one more year barring a complete meltdown for the rest of the season. If they end with more wins than losses, I think it is all but a guarantee he will be back.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.