If we win out...what is impact on coaching decisions?

Alphadawg7

What happens if we win out...  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What if we make the playoffs and the offense keeps rolling rest of season with Brady at OC?

• McD is back as HC next year and Brady has interim tag removed and named OC
    • McD is back, but Brady leaves for another job (or Bills end up going another direction at OC)
    • Bills still fire MC and both McD and Brady are gone as new HC brings their own DC and OC
    • McD is fired and Joe Brady named HC who hires his own DC and OC
    • Other - Specify in comments
  2. 2. Bonus Question 1: Assuming a SB birth saves his job, is there any other way for McD to be "safe" this offseason?

• Nothing...he is gone unless we reach the Super Bowl
    • Just make the playoffs and he is likely safe one more season
    • Must win at least 1 game in the playoffs
    • Must at least reach the AFC Championship Game
  3. 3. Bonus Question 2: If McD is back, does he hire a DC?

• No, he will be HC/DC again
    • Yes, he will go back to HC and hire/promote a formal DC

I would bet a lot of money McDermott is back next year with his job on the line. Brady will be the OC and they will hire a DC. Lots of bills fans will be disappointed but I think good owners don’t do knee jerk reactions off one bad season. 

Personally, I’m good with either direction. But I do think the good organizations tend to be the most loyal ones. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

I couldn't finish because question 2 does not have enough options.

I believe McDermott is safe even if the Bills don't make the playoffs. I believe he will be give at least one more year barring a complete meltdown for the rest of the season. If they end with more wins than losses, I think it is all but a guarantee he will be back.

This right here. McD isn't being fired even if we go 0-5. Get over it. He's our coach next season 100%. Just need a healthy D for once.

I assume McDermott will be back next year even if we don't make the playoffs (not an option on the poll). Because of the issues on offense and what seems like problems getting guys to play well in it (all the miscommunications, I forget who, but one guy who came in said it was complex) I hope we revamp the offense with either Brady or someone new. I also think we should hire a defensive coordinator.

I think McD will get fired if Pegula/Beane want changes to the staff and/or operations and he refuses, like if he wants to retain the DC role and they want someone else, for example.

32 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

We have more than one player. 

The oline is better.

We need upgrade at WR an the defense got old fast. Should be set at CB. Just need another pass rusher and a couple safeties. Safeties are cheap. They can replace one or both this off season. 

We are stuck with McD for 2024. Best hope is Allen Diggs and Brady overcome his defense 

We need DTs too. Possibly 3 of them as Ed is the only one under contract.  He played almost the entire game on Sunday.  There were time where he was just taking up space because he was so tired.  

Center is also a possibility if Morse steps away.  

WR #1 priority- I agree.  

Pass rush #2A as floyd, AJ and Shaq are FA’s.  Will likely need to sign/draft 2, maybe 3 DE’s.  

DT #2B- daquan, settle and JP all FA.  

Edited by NewEra

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We need DTs too. Possibly 3 of them as Ed is the only one under contract.  He played almost the entire game on Sunday.  There were time where he was just taking up space because he was so tired.  

Center is also a possibility if Morse steps away.  

WR #1 priority- I agree.  

Pass rush #2A as floyd, AJ and Shaq are FA’s.  Will likely need to sign/draft 2, maybe 3 DE’s.  

DT #2B- daquan, settle and JP all FA.  

I agree with all this. 1 Question though... Why would Morse step away?

Looking at the bigger picture it would actually be in their best interest to miss the playoffs. Hear me out 😂

They're a flawed team, missing all-pros at several key positions.   As a result, they're not SB contenders this year and that's OK.

Missing the post-season would have several positive impacts on the franchise moving forward....

Full evaluation top down of the entire coaching staff.   Maybe they can McD and bring in a better gameday tactician.

Better draft picks to fill holes (WR2/S/CB).

Missing the playoffs would provide increased focus and motivation going in to the 2025 season.... mad Josh > aloof Josh.    Players, across the board, will be ultra motivated during offseason prep.

...that said, If they do sneak in and win a game or two they'll feel like they salvaged the season and accomplished something.   I'd rather have them pissed off and on a mission (w a healthier younger defense) going in to the 2025 season, instead of feeling they can just waltz through the regular season and still get it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.