The AJ Brown OT catch was a fumble!!!!

Special K

3 hours ago, Special K said:

Two steps and a football move!

If it was called a fumble on the field like it should have been, there would be no way the booth would overturn it.

The last of a series of biased calls in favor of the Eagles throughout the game!!

From start to finish Hercules Jr and his crew absolutely screwed the Bills.  The first half was legendary.  No one will be fired or suspended.  No apologies,  just business as usual for the shield.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Tucking it is a football move.

correct

a. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

b. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so. 

4 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

He had possession on his knees.  Down by contact as soon as he is touched,  The defender should not then be able to punch it out.

Also correct.  That should have been a catch and down by contact.  That was ruled the opposite way against us in another game. I cant remember the game but I remember we punched out the ball immediately but the ref ruled forward progress or some crap but should have said down by contact instead.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

correct

a. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

b. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so. 

The 2nd law of thermodynamics 

Could’ve been ruled either way…that was far from the most controversial call of that game lol 

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

From start to finish Hercules Jr and his crew absolutely screwed the Bills.  The first half was legendary.  No one will be fired or suspended.  No apologies,  just business as usual for the shield.  

I understand we had our chances to win and blew them but that game isn’t even close if the officiating was a little more even in the first half.  I’ve never seen anything like that 

Definitely not a catch. Too quick! needed another second or another step. That was one of the few calls that trainwreck crew got right. So many bad calls, phantom calls and outright missed calls. I think it could be the worst officiated game I've ever seen (and that includes penalties that were awarded to Philly as well). I also think that the NFL needs to have the eye in the sky call penalties off the ball. That dirty hit on Diggs after the TD was WWE style blind from the officials.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Wizard said:

Sure. This has more to do though with a swiss cheese 2nd half defense, a crappy field goal kicker, and a HC over his head.

To be fair - had that been a fumble and recovery we win the game and we are all talking about how heads up poyer was there to strip it and win the game

whcih should have been the case becuase it was clearly a fumble

twobfeet down fumble ball game over

3 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

So if he got tackled on the spot then it's a catch, but if he gets it punched out on that same spot it's incomplete. Like I get it but at the same

time it just confuses what a catch is and is not. 

Apparently now there’s a 3 second rule or something according to posters here.  What I don’t get is does that apply if you catch it and fall down?  Like do you have to fall really slow to reach the required made up time?   

Bills got screwed.  Think the league cares?  Nope. They just been giving calls to the opposition for decades now. 

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He had two feet down, the ball was tucked, and he took a third step.  It was by rule a catch.  The Refs are terrible, you have to know that going into a game.  That said, you have to win in spite of it.

Unfortunately, that was their opportunity to win.  Keenan Allen, same play last night.  Ruled fumble.  McCauley explained it.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

need three feet down before it’s a fumble.

How many three-footed receivers are there in the NFL?

Seriously, I watched the play a ton of times and it's difficult to tell whether it's a fumble or an incomplete pass. Rules say if there is doubt call it incomplete.

Why do we have the two feet down plus a football move?  Is the two feet down rule for sideline catches? If so, I'd have a special rule for those catches and a simple rule that if it's a catch then it's a fumble without the two feet plaus a football move complication.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

I wouldn't have called it a catch but I guarantee they would have called it a catch if he caught it in the endzone for a TD (rendering the proceeding fumble irrelevant). 

Interesting take. You might be right. 

I thought he never had possession. Seeing an identical play in the Sunday night game actually get called a fumble irked me, though. There's no consistency.

If you need to complete the catch, why was that 3rd down conversion on Denver's last drive against us not only counted as a completion, but ruled forward progress when the ball (almost immediately) came out?

On 11/27/2023 at 12:08 AM, Punch said:

I think the distinction here is that in the Chargers game, the ruling on the field was a fumble. In our game the ruling on the field was an incomplete pass. In both cases it was close enough either way that the play was unlikely to be overruled.

For conspiracy theorists, compare that to the last drive in regulation where the officials ruled a fumble on Hurts that was (rightfully) reversed to an incomplete pass. The announcers were complimentary of the refs for having let the play go on and NOT blow the whistle knowing that it would be reviewed and overturned if need be. Conversely, with Brown's catch-no catch, they did NOT do the same thing. The former was very clearly going to be over-turned, whereas the latter's call would have probably stood either way. Hmmm.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/27/2023 at 1:41 PM, Dan said:

Apparently now there’s a 3 second rule or something according to posters here.  What I don’t get is does that apply if you catch it and fall down?  Like do you have to fall really slow to reach the required made up time?   

Bills got screwed.  Think the league cares?  Nope. They just been giving calls to the opposition for decades now. 

The league doesn't care. We're a very small market team that's relatively inconsequential to the shields greater objectives.  Not even the marketing of JA seems to help anymore. We'll always be chasing calls v the blue bloods.

• Like (+1) 1

The broadcast rules expert, forget which one, said they like to see a third step.  Two feet down and then a complete step.  He may be totally correct in the way they want to call it but that is not the way the rule is written.  Scott7975 had the language of the rule posted up thread.

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so

That's 6 equal examples given as acts common to the game but game officials only want to see the third step?  It's like counting to three is the only judgement they are willing to make.  The ball was clearly brought to the tuck position.  Any talk of a minimum time element is irrelevant to the application of the rule.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Unfortunately, that was their opportunity to win.  Keenan Allen, same play last night.  Ruled fumble.  McCauley explained it.  

And there in lies the problem with human officiating, it's all in eye of the beholder and not everyone sees and analyzing things the same. There should be some accountability and more than red flags which can only called in certain plays. All plays should be reviewable imo.

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

I think the distinction here is that in the Chargers game, the ruling on the field was a fumble. In our game the ruling on the field was an incomplete pass. In both cases it was close enough either way that the play was unlikely to be overruled.

For conspiracy theorists, compare that to the last drive in regulation where the officials ruled a fumble on Hurts that was (rightfully) reversed to an incomplete pass. The announcers were complimentary of the refs for having let the play go on and NOT blow the whistle knowing that it would be reviewed and overturned if need be. Conversely, with Brown's catch-no catch, they did NOT do the same thing. The former was very clearly going to be over-turned, whereas the latter's call would have probably stood either way. Hmmm.

The ruling in the Bills Eagles game was a fumble.

The difference is the chargers receiver tucked the ball and moved forward before fumbling.   Brown was just completing the tuck when it came out.  They are different in my eyes

11 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

The broadcast rules expert, forget which one, said they like to see a third step.  Two feet down and then a complete step.  He may be totally correct in the way they want to call it but that is not the way the rule is written.  Scott7975 had the language of the rule posted up thread.

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so

That's 6 equal examples given as acts common to the game but game officials only want to see the third step?  It's like counting to three is the only judgement they are willing to make.  The ball was clearly brought to the tuck position.  Any talk of a minimum time element is irrelevant to the application of the rule.

I must have listened to a a different broadcast.  A third step is one of the things that would make it a catch that did not happen.  He was not saying he has to see a third step or else its not a catch

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.