DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

Just now, JerseyBills said:

🤷‍♂️

But hopefully it sparks the O to be where they're capable

Still have a legit shot to the post season 

Joe Brady was the "passing game coordinator" and play-caller at LSU when Burrow, Jefferson, and Chase steamrolled all of college football in 2019. Then he got the OC job in Carolina and got fired there, but they had no players besides a very injured CMC.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Dorsey gets fired bc:

1: Cook cant hold onto the ball

2: Davis cant hold onto the ball.

3: Josh throws into double coverage

4: Josh drops a handoff on the ground

5: Def (which was stellar) commits PI at end of game

6: Def (which was stellar) has 12 men on the field.

Sounds like players arent executing to me.

While I agree with your premise, when a team doesn't believe in a coache(es), their mindset goes into the tank. Just look at the Raiders for instance. They clearly hated Josh McDaniels they weren't playing up to their potential for Josh McDaniels. Antonio Pierce comes in and provides a spark for that team and they are 2-0 with Aiden O'Connell at QB. 

Watching this team, particularly the offense, they don't trust something. That could be the system, the coach, the HC etc but there is something off. There is zero emotion. Allen throws a pick, goes and sits down by himself and pouts every single game. I think he's been told to chill out and he's trying his best but on the inside he probably wants to explode on someone. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

McDermott will get to the end of the season. But if things don't improve (I doubt they will) then he most likely is gone. I just hope Terry keeps Beane around. We need a football man in the organization who will lead the search for the next HC. Terry shouldn't be the one doing that.

This firing was not just McD’s doing.  If he even had any choice in the matter.

It was probably at the insistence of Beane.  He has given McD a team that should be much better than their record, he ain’t going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, jlgarsh said:

This is the last play McDermott has to save his job. If it fails, he failed, and will be kicked to the curb.

Good. No excuses.  

Either be the growth mindset coach you tout yourself to be and improve, or GTFO of Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He was Joe Burrows OC at LSU, also had a year as Panthers OC so the pipeline continues

He's a smart dude tho, should be interesting how he does 

The question is - does Josh respect Joe Brady and will he learn/ listen?

I believe the Bills need a high powered, proven OC who can manage Josh. This job opening if there is one at the end of the year, will be a coveted one. Many high end OCs will believe they can fix Josh and/or put him in a position to excel. The "new" head coach will have options. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it depends how they finish. There’s a real chance they go 2-5 down the stretch. If that happens I think there could be wholesale changes.

The biggest question is does Brandon Beane survive a coaching staff change?

I think his success in later rounds points to that. He can blame the terrible 1st rd picks on McDermott being overly involved there and i think Pegula will believe him. Not saying it's true, just that it's a believable excuse.

Just now, Niagara Dude said:

Classic McDERMOTT move,  throws his coordinator under the bus just like 13 secs. All out blitz on 3rd & 10 with Broncos outside of FG attempt,  just gave it away. The fact that running the football is now a better option then passing the football is why this team has lost it's identity and are no longer an explosive feared offence. CAVEMAN FOOTBALL= McDermott

I don’t even hate the blitz call.  Wind shifted, the kicker could hit from 55, and I objectively feel like Taron turned his head on the PI and that the call was marginal.  It just didn’t work out our way.  Or maybe it did, but we screwed it up by failing counting class.  Whatever.  The result is the same.  Another game frittered away. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

This is without a doubt the beginning of the end of the Mcdermott era.This might be an indication that Ownership is not happy about the possibility the team not  being successful on the field and having to fill a new stadium with a shameful product.The powers at be see things way ahead and aren't happy campers right now.In my perfect world I would like to see what Bill Belichick would do with this roster,it would be the first time in the history of the Buffalo Bills that they hire a WINNING COACH!Imagine that

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

This firing was not just McD’s doing.  If he even had any choice in the matter.

It was probably at the insistence of Beane.  He has given McD a team that should be much better than their record, he ain’t going anywhere.

Thats not how this works 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Should have canned McClappy too, obviously. Dorsey is the scapegoat. He didn’t drop balls or throw INTs or fumble the ball. X4

I think this move means McDermott is on the hot seat if things don’t improve at least.  They weren’t gonna fire the head coach until mathematically eliminated from the playoffs 

3 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Should have canned McClappy too, obviously. Dorsey is the scapegoat. He didn’t drop balls or throw INTs or fumble the ball. X4

No, he just drew up game plans equivalent to a high school O coordinator. 

Execution plays a role, but not consistently putting players in advantageous positions for success is a bigger role. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just so folks know….

Joe Brady was the OC In Carolina, Learned under Sean Payton for a couple years. Prior to coaching Burrow at LSU.

His QB was Teddy Bridgewater behind a terrible Oline who threw for nearly 4000 yards. With Mike Davis at RB.

Carolina had almost 3x 1000  yard WRs and Robbie Anderson had nearly 100 Catches.

I would say with half the talent this team has now he did pretty good. Hopefully his play calling style will have a difference 

Edited by CEN-CAL17
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This team's problems go well beyond Dorsey. He wasn't responsible for 12 men on the field for that FG.

This game shined an enormous spotlight squarely on McDermott, and they go and get rid of the OC.

This will do nothing to change the direction this team is headed in. Maybe it helps Josh a bit, but not enough to fix this team and the issues in all three phases, plus coaching ineptitude. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.