Potential to Explore Josh Allen (QB) trades

VaMilBill

I’m gonna preface this post by acknowledging that this will be widely unpopular. People will say I am having a knee jerk reaction to the last few weeks.

But, with the shortcomings of the offense, not just this season but last as well, I gotta think the blame does solely lie with just McD and Dorsey. Allen has clearly been an issue too. Missing open opportunities because he either looks and throws right away or simply only looks for Diggs. Allen has also committed a ludicrous amount of turnovers. Situationally, he’s been pretty poor this year when it comes to decision making. 

On the other end of things, he’s getting older. He will be 28 next season and is only continuing to take more lumps. He will only get slower, more injury prone and probably not progress mentally. He’s shown as a pure pocket passer he is simply above average.

Look at Cam around the 8 year mark. Really started to take a dive. Josh will be going into his 7th season next year. 

If this team continues on this current trajectory, i think it’s fair to assume there will be fairly significant changes not only personnel-

wise, but coaching-wise as well with a very new OC at the least. With josh seemingly reaching the end of his prime, is that really a time we want to be reloading/re-building?

My thought is, while Josh still has value, is trade him. I’d love if we could to the bears for their 2 firsts next year, one in 2025 and a second in 2024. We use those picks to draft a QB as well as Marvin Harrison jr. We could rebuild with a QB on a rookie contract, get the best WR in college to go with Diggs and Dalton Kinkaid, and on top of that we’d be able to use the other picks to build up our o line. We focus on offense next year and shift to defense the following. 

Now all of this would be contingent on new GM, new staff. 

im saddened to propose this because I love josh. Seems like a great dude and great for Buffalo. But at a certain point, we gotta start thinking that maybe Josh isn’t the one to win us a SB. 

Chuck your spears as appropriate. 

Edited by VaMilBill
  • Vomit 16
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 2
  • Disagree 6
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 11

I don't pretend to know what changes will happen and when they'll happen but I truly don't think they will trade Allen.  He hasn't been perfect, turns the ball over too much, and makes some bad decisions.  If Dorsey gets fired, Allen would draw strong candidates for OC.  If McD gets fired, Allen would draw strong candidates for HC.  The last thing is most Bills fans love Allen.  If they were trade him away, I think fans would lose their *****.

• Like (+1) 1

No spears here.

It's just gonna be extremely difficult to trade a Superstar QB who has proven, time after time, that he's the real deal and also proved that he's a playoff performer. Also, Tom Brady called him "a f*$kin stud."

There are a lot more QBs who bust out of the league. It's rare to land a QB who is NOT a bust. For every 1 Superstar QB, there are 20 busts that an organization has to go through. Where did I get that stat? Out of my *ss.

Seriously, it's extremely rare and difficult to land a Superstar QB. I wouldn't think about this right now.

Currently, Allen is the number one fantasy stat QB. Yeah, our guy. He's still number one according to the numbers.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Someone yesterday was arguing that Josh Allen probably wants out of Buffalo, even though he's said or done nothing to indicate that. 

He probably doesn't want out. But he probably should. This horses**t cursed franchise is an anchor on his star.

Edited by LeviF
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I’m gonna preface this post by acknowledging that this will be widely unpopular. People will say I am having a knee jerk reaction to the last few weeks.

But, with the shortcomings of the offense, not just this season but last as well, I gotta think the blame does solely lie with just McD and Dorsey. Allen has clearly been an issue too. Missing open opportunities because he either looks and throws right away or simply only looks for Diggs. Allen has also committed a ludicrous amount of turnovers. Situationally, he’s been pretty poor this year when it comes to decision making. 

On the other end of things, he’s getting older. He will be 28 next season and is only continuing to take more lumps. He will only get slower, more injury prone and probably not progress mentally. Look at Cam around the 8 year mark. Really started to take a dive. Josh will be going into his 7th season next year. 

If this team continues on this current trajectory, i think it’s fair to assume there will be fairly significant changes not only personnel-

wise, but coaching-wise as well with a very new OC at the least. With josh seemingly reaching the end of his prime, is that really a time we want to be reloading/re-building?

My thought is, while Josh still has value, is trade him. I’d love if we could to the bears for their 2 firsts next year, one in 2025 and a second in 2024. We use those picks to draft a QB as well as Marvin Harrison jr. We could rebuild with a QB on a rookie contract, get the best WR in college to go with Diggs and Dalton Kinkaid, and on top of that we’d be able to use the other picks to build up our o line. We focus on offense next year and shift to defense the following. 

im saddened to propose this because I love josh. Seems like a great dude and great for Buffalo. But at a certain point, we gotta start thinking that maybe Josh isn’t the one to win us a SB. 

I am not the biggest Allen fan but I am certainly not entertaining any trades involving him at this point.. even though he is really testing my patience.

13 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

So, I'll add you to the list of TBDers who want to trade Josh Allen:

1. @Pine Barrens Mafia
  2. @HopefulFuture
  3. @Yawning Frog
  4. @VaMilBill

Anyone else?

Depends. Is he running or not? Without running he's not the same and not nearly as good. There is more than a small chance that you are seeing the beginning of the Cam Newtonesque decline and injuries and wear and tear mount up.

18 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

On the other end of things, he’s getting older. He will be 28 next season and is only continuing to take more lumps. He will only get slower, more injury prone and probably not progress mentally. He’s shown as a pure pocket passer he is simply above average.

Look at Cam around the 8 year mark. Really started to take a dive. Josh will be going into his 7th season next year. 

Yeah, let's trade away the best player in Bills history.

This board is getting stupider by the minute.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm very down on the team right now but the notion that you could help fix the team by trading Allen might be the dumbest thing I've heard all week, and I listened to McD's press conference.

Allen IS the team. There's no Bills of this era without Allen.  He's the single greatest asset this team has had in the last 30 years. 

• Thank you (+1) 5

After one 6-point road loss to a good team that most TBDers predicted would steamroll the Bills, fans are melting down and drawing up trade scenarios for the franchise QB. You predicted a 34-17 Bengals win. The Bills actually scored one more point than you thought that they would, and now it's time to completely blow up the team? 

• Like (+1) 1

HELLLLO! McFLY!  Have you heard of the salary cap?  If we trade/cut JA at this juncture, we'll literally have difficulty fielding a 53 man roster.  I think he has like a $99m dead cap.  You can't jettison high cost players like Miller, Diggs (prolly Milano) & Knox as although they cost a lot, their dead cap is more.  The roster would need to be comprised almost exclusively of minimum wage players.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Depends. Is he running or not? Without running he's not the same and not nearly as good. There is more than a small chance that you are seeing the beginning of the Cam Newtonesque decline and injuries and wear and tear mount up.

So do I add you to the list?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I don't care if we go winless the rest of the season and 0-17 next year (with Josh at QB). I'd ride and die with that player hurdling stud. After the litany of mediocre to sub par QB's since Jim Kelly you should be ashamed of the mere suggestion of trading Allen away. You wanna trade Kyle Allen away, ok.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bruffalo said:

I'm very down on the team right now but the notion that you could help fix the team by trading Allen might be the dumbest thing I've heard all week, and I listened to McD's press conference.

Allen IS the team. There's no Bills of this era without Allen.  He's the single greatest asset this team has had in the last 30 years. 

Exactly.  Josh Allen will be here long after McDermott and Beane are gone.  Job One for Beane/McDermott is to maximize the franchise's return on this most valuable asset and they have been failing badly.  It can't be allowed to continue. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

They are not trading Allen, but I do think Beane has to re-tool this roster with some significant changes. Many players especially on defense are over 30. I don't think they can run it back with basically the same team in 2024. There needs to be a new core around Allen to work with. They need to add more skill and get younger.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It's the coaching.  McDingbat and his boy wonder with the stupid glasses think that if they just make Allen be Brady then success will follow, rather than letting him  play his game.  Honestly halfwits like we have in charge shouldn't be allowed near top tier talent

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

HELLLLO! McFLY!  Have you heard of the salary cap?  If we trade/cut JA at this juncture, we'll literally have difficulty fielding a 53 man roster.  I think he has like a $99m dead cap.  You can't jettison high cost players like Miller, Diggs (prolly Milano) & Knox as although they cost a lot, their dead cap is more.  The roster would need to be comprised almost exclusively of minimum wage players.

Lol, what this poster said. Dead cap makes this notion impossible. Aside from that, it’s just brain dead.

Well it appears we’ll be heading into year 7, at 28 years old, with just 1 AFCCG loss, a couple of meaningless Pro Bowls, and a Madden cover. It’s time to re-fresh the coaching, philosophy, and talent around him and give this another run. 

Trade talk is a waste of time.

It's far easier to find a good coach than find a good QB (although, neither are that easy to find). You move on from the coach before you move on from the QB. Let the new staff bring in a new system and revitalize the QB play. If that doesn't work — then, and only then, do you move on from the QB. 

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

No disrespect...there are so many things in this post that make no sense that it would take too long to address them all.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Can’t trade Josh due to the ramifications of the move, both in the locker room and with fan morale. There’s only one player I’d trade him for, Mahomes. Actually, I take that back… I might entertain a trade for a young QB on a rookie contract, that looks to be on the rise (Stroud, Lawrence, etc) coupled with multiple first round draft picks, but those teams wouldn’t entertain it, so it’s a moot point. 

This really depends on how long Pegula is going to turn a blind eye to the FACT that this team needs an offensive expert HC. 

If Pegula plans on giving McDermott another handful of years, this team will not even sniff a Super Bowl. 

So why bother keeping Josh?  

• Eyeroll 1