Harbaugh to Bills (Would it work?)

M. Wrotto

On 11/7/2023 at 7:54 PM, GunnerBill said:

Jim Harbaugh is also a turn around merchant not a winner. 

And what is McDermott to date?

Harbaugh took a physically undermanned team with a great QB to great success in college. Then he took a great team with a mediocre QB to the SuperBowl( winning at Green Bay)  and back to back NFC Championship games. He was one missed holding call from winning a SuperBowl and one miraculous INT away from going to a second.

McD hasn't even sniffed that kind of success. No SuperBowl. No playoff road wins. No Championship wins. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

And what is McDermott to date?

Harbaugh took a physically undermanned team with a great QB to great success in college. Then he took a great team with a mediocre QB to the SuperBowl( winning at Green Bay)  and back to back NFC Championship games. He was one missed holding call from winning a SuperBowl and one miraculous INT away from going to a second.

McD hasn't even sniffed that kind of success. No SuperBowl. No playoff road wins. No Championship wins. 

Hence the word also. 

Put Harbaugh and McDermott in the same bucket. I'd hire them to execute a turnaround tomorrow. Swapping one out for another once you are at the "ready to win" stage would be senseless.

• Like (+1) 3

People are talking about this all wrong. Michigan is not accused of “sign stealing.” That is not illegal in the Big Ten. What is against the rules is in-person scouting of upcoming opponents. That is because a school like Michigan can afford that but a school like Maryland can’t. But all NFL teams (except the Bengals) have entire teams of pro scouts. 

8 hours ago, Beast said:

Same could be said about Sean McDermott only Harbaugh has been much more successful.

I’d take Harbaugh in a heartbeat.

The same could be said. But McDermott doesn't have a record of losing big games to less talented teams on the biggest stage. Nobody beats Jim Harbaugh on that count. 

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Daboll as HC?  Is anyone watching the NFL this year?  

Totally agree. Even as an OC for us Daboll made a bunch of head scratching play calls in crucial moments. 

I do think harbaugh would be really good for Buffalo. I know there are a ton of Ohio state fans on here who vehemently disagree, but harbaugh did a great job in SF. Don’t really know why he was chased off. 

• Agree 1

I think Harbaugh would be a great coach for the Bills.  He checks off all the boxes the most important being that he comes from the offensive side of the ball. 

IMO the next 2 games will tell the tale.  Anything less then 2 - 0 and Pegula should reach out to Harbaugh to see if there is any interest and under what conditions the guy might take the job. 

Sure this is risky as parting ways with McD at the end of the season in favor of Harbaugh might simply accelerate the decline and dump the Bills in the toilet real fast.  But I would prefer risking a complete collapse and rebuild then the slow decline that we're experiencing now.  Give me death by guillotine over death by a thousand cuts any day.

• Disagree 2

I don’t want another head job as HC. Rex was plenty, thank you very much. Jim Harbaugh has zero appeal to me. His schtick will grow old before too long with grown men. Half of the talk about him is generally where will he stop next. No thanks. 

• Agree 2

On 11/8/2023 at 9:43 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, he’s a d bag but all the guy does is win. But I would never pay a coach that much when you have a franchise qb. I also don’t know if his offense is the right fit for Allen and could see them butting heads. 

but he will win where we he goes and get paid a lot of money while Michigan and the next players get screwed.

All other points aside who cares what he makes? I don't, salary cap doesn't. 

Other questions are valid, but Idc what he's paid if Terry doesn't 😭

On 11/8/2023 at 2:52 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Jim Harbaugh broke his hand punching Jim Kelly in the head.

We arent hiring him as anything on the Bills.

He can punch my mom at her bday dinner if it gets us a SB!

19 hours ago, chongli said:

The whole discussion is moot. Beane/Pegula would never hire a known cheater.

Didn't we just fire some COO for banging a coworker in London?

Times are a changinnnnnn

• Haha (+1) 1

I know it sounds crazy, especially considering how this regime has turned around the franchise, but ***IF*** McDermott does go at the end of the year, I'd be happy with Harbaugh. 

As a rookie HC in the NFL, he turned the 49ers into contenders. Remember, the 49ers hadn't even had a winning record (or playoff appearance) for 9 years before he got there in 2011. In a "rebuiliding year," he coached that previously terrible 49ers roster (which finished 6-10 the year before), with supposed "bust" Alex Smith, to a 13-3 record & NFCCG appearance.

Then in year 2, the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl. They went 8-8 & had a messed up year with injuries in 2013, then disputes with management lead to him leaving after only 3 years. Then the 49ers instantly reverted to crap until 2019.

I'd say our roster & QB situation is definitely superior to the 49ers team he inherited in 2011, so I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be interested to see what he could do with this group ***IF*** the position became available.

I know he’s an ####### but the guy went to the ***** Super Bowl with Colin Kaepernick as his QB. 

This team needs a huge shake up. There is no Leslie Fraiser to blame.  

The Buffalo BIlls were woefully under prepared and the buck stops with Sean McDermott.

Yes, the players also are to blame but we are seeing the same ***** mistakes week in and week out. They are regressing during the season. 

From 13 seconds to tonight there is enough evidence that what we are running with is no longer the answer.

I’m on the Jim Harbaugh bandwagon.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Alot of people think he's a bad fit but I'm on board.

You have a top QB and young superstar to be at TE. Build around it however you'd like.

We're in that weird type of situation where the QB is in place but there is going to be so much roster turnover it's like a rebuild.

So pretty attractive to an incoming coach besides the cap hell year coming in '24

Harbaugh would win a ring here within 3 years.

Would build us into the bully this city deserves. Look at all his teams he’s coached. Absolute bully ball every where he’s been. But guess what he has here that he didn’t have in San Fran?

A star QB.

My dream hire.

I'm not a McDermott fan, but if he lost the team (and he has) with his milquetoast brand of coaching, how do you think they'll respond to Harbaugh? Guy is way too hyper and intense; the goal should be to find a coach that can get Allen right again by calming his ass down.

Edited by Patrick Fitzryan

On 11/11/2023 at 6:42 AM, VaMilBill said:

Totally agree. Even as an OC for us Daboll made a bunch of head scratching play calls in crucial moments. 

I do think harbaugh would be really good for Buffalo. I know there are a ton of Ohio state fans on here who vehemently disagree, but harbaugh did a great job in SF. Don’t really know why he was chased off. 

If he brought in a physical bully style of play, count me in.  Our teams are always soft.  We play that soft candy a ss zone which McMoron is in love with.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.