Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

9 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I'm trying to figure out where that question came from.  

It's entirely out of context with anything that I wrote.  

The entire point is that two TOs setting us up for 10 points all but inside Miami's Red Zone gave us that decisive win, with both teams putting up similar yards and performance otherwise.  

The primary point is that Miami's the only team that doesn't currently have a losing record and a negative point-differential, that we've beaten.  

That's it.  Really.  

Relying on TOs is not a recipe for playoff success.  

Plain and simple.  

Just wondering.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

McD (and his disciples here) go on about his defense and frankly they are mediocre (or much worse) when games are on the line. 

I'll agree the offense needs to carry them and that means aggressive coaching  on that side of the ball, but quit always making excuses for the defense.  Are they injured yes, but then it is next man up?  Remember how bad Cincy's OL was coming into the playoff game vs. Buffalo and they manhandled them.

We should expect the same from McD of the defensive side of the ball.

Of course I'll be thrilled with a 38-35 victory and complaining about the defense next week.😜🤣 

Why have the 49ers been struggling on offense that last few weeks?  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, balln said:

Cincy going to stomp bills. Just like I said last year. Burrow is elite dink and dunker. Kills zone. And if you ever switch to man - like 4-5 plays a game- he immediately recognizes it and then hits chase over the top . Makes you pay. Our pass rush is basically coverage sack guys now - they won’t get to him bc he gets the ball out quick. No one on our team can tackle consistently - Mixon will have a big day 

and w their D coordinator - I don’t trust Allen and offense to play flawless game which they’ll need 

Ok, guess I shouldn’t even bother watching then

In it's current configuration I don't see how we can stop Burrow and keep Mixon in check.  Using Poyer at LB is a great idea and probably helps stop the coverage problems we were having from both Dodson and Williams.  I don't think Rapp is very good in coverage but maybe he's still getting up to speed.  Stopping the run is something no one is talking about and what I think will be the larger problem.  If Mixon is gauging us out o the gate it will instantly make for an easy day for Burrow.

9 minutes ago, Casey D said:

God this place is depressing.  At least expectations are low I suppose.

Innit, tho?

The Bengals have played precisely ONE good game this year. That was this week. And that was against a team with captain average at QB, missing Deebo Samuel.

There is no team more over-rated right now than SF, and yet these people are acting like they're the montana 9ers

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

Can this secondary cover Chase, Boyd, and Higgins?  Only if Bills generate an effective pass rush.  But otherwise maybe if they pick up a couple all-pro corners at the trade deadline. 

If they could just play coverage they would probably give up some yards but might get a turnover or two with pressure.  If Mixon gets off it will make it much harder.

The Bills offense is going to have to score in the high 30's at least to have a shot at winning. Burrow is finally healthy, and I think the Bengals offense is going to be a major problem for the Bills defense. If the Bills win it will be a high scoring shootout type of game.

10 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

After the “Hamlin Incident” and the pathetic playoff loss. McD better have this game circled and he better have his team ready to play. 

Another embarrassment would be just more proof that our head coach does not learn from his errors. 

This game will tell me a lot about McD and his compete level. 

Win the toss, do not differ again, get the ball and score first.  

24 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Innit, tho?

The Bengals have played precisely ONE good game this year. That was this week. And that was against a team with captain average at QB, missing Deebo Samuel.

There is no team more over-rated right now than SF, and yet these people are acting like they're the montana 9ers

Bengals just look like a bad matchup for the Bills.  I can’t imagine what Higgins and Chase might do to this defense if we aren’t able to get a lot pressure on Burrow …Bills best chance is to stick with the no-huddle and try to outscore them, which won’t be easy because the Bengals defense is no joke.  This team owned us last year and I’m not sure I see any reason to think it will be different this year.

• Agree 1

I don't see how they stop the bengals running game.  Without stopping that they have zero chance of slowing down the passing offense.

Sadly it seems the bengals can run dives and draws and just run at will with the current state of the middle of the defense. 

This just feels like a week this team is going to have to take its medicine and then forget about it and move on.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen is like:

"I am not throwing away my shot...

I am not throwing away my shot...

Rise up
When you're living on your knees, you rise up...
Tell Diggs that he's gotta rise up...
Tell your D that they've gotta rise up..."

image.thumb.png.e0c33d27c0e8b0b55fe6055630a65a77.png

2 hours ago, balln said:

Cincy going to stomp bills. Just like I said last year. Burrow is elite dink and dunker. Kills zone. And if you ever switch to man - like 4-5 plays a game- he immediately recognizes it and then hits chase over the top . Makes you pay. Our pass rush is basically coverage sack guys now - they won’t get to him bc he gets the ball out quick. No one on our team can tackle consistently - Mixon will have a big day 

and w their D coordinator - I don’t trust Allen and offense to play flawless game which they’ll need 

Damn. Burrow has no weakness. Give them the Lombardi right now. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Prob is the bills D makes the opposing qb (except tua) too comfortable.

they play OFF the line in coverage and so if the blitz. It’s the long / late DB that goes in. And it’s super easy to take advantage of that. 

conversely KC and CIN play up on line man to man at times. Their corner and safeties come blitz right off the line. 

Just now, BillsFan2313 said:

Damn. Burrow has no weakness. Give them the Lombardi right now. 

His only weakness is arm strength / off platform 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Next man up is nice coach speak but it isn't the reality in the NFL when you lose elite level players. The Bills have three guys who have been first team all pros on defense with this team. Poyer, Tre and Milano. When you lose two guys of that level you can't just "next man up" and on you roll. It isn't true of the Bills defense any more than it is true of the 49ers offense who have the best offensive play designer in the league (and maybe ever) and were 5-0 and scoring 33 points per game. They lost two 1st team all pros in Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel and suddenly...... lost three on the bounce scoring 17 each time and none of the teams that beat them went into those games with winning records. 

In the NFL it is hard enough replacing starters with backups. But when you have to replace your best starters with backups, it's over. The league is designed in that way - to have that parity. You can't have a Manchester City or Real Madrid bench of stars in the NFL.  

That doesn't mean I won't criticise the defense when they play poorly comparable to what they have - I was VERY vocal about their failings against New England - both play calling and execution up front. I was highly critical of two stupid discipline errors that extended the final Buccs drive on Thursday totally needlessly and made that game look closer than it was. But I won't criticise the defense if the Benglas offense which is one of the best in the league and is humming now Burrow is healthy scores 30+ next weekend. Because at the moment their offensive talent >>> our defensive talent. 

The defense shouldn't struggle against a Mac Jones and I was upset with them that game.

Against the elites, without Milano, Jones and White...the defense just needs to hold on and the offense needs to pick it up.

The 49ers/Bengals game looked like the Bills/Bengals playoff game.  Cincy got up early, SF got some life but Cincy dominated that whole game.

I don't expect our defense to be stout until we get Jones and Milano back.  Since they are so hush hush about it....I think McDermott feels they could be back by last December.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This is the test to see if Mcdermott’s defense any different than Frazier’s.  Frazier had no answers for Cincy’s offense.  

McDermott’s defense had no answer for Mac freaking Jones. It probably had a little bit to do with White and Milano being out. But to expect good results against the Bengals is foolish.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 1

Allen and the Bills have been so good in road games over the past few years.  This season has been a real struggle, including London.  They have to get the road figured out.  The banged up D really cost us against the Jags and Pats.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This is the test to see if Mcdermott’s defense any different than Frazier’s.  Frazier had no answers for Cincy’s offense.  

If Burrow is left to be comfortable in the pocket it's over.  He will either pick the Bills apart or hit some big plays over the top.  Baltimore is so successful against them because they make Joey feel uncomfortable.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

If Burrow is left to be comfortable in the pocket it's over.  He will either pick the Bills apart or hit some big plays over the top.  Baltimore is so successful against them because they make Joey feel uncomfortable.

The Ravens play with a physicality on defense that makes opponents uncomfortable.  Our D gonna have to put their big boy pants on at Cincy.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The Ravens play with a physicality on defense that makes opponents uncomfortable.  Our D gonna have to put their big boy pants on at Cincy.  

I think we’d all be satisfied if they wrap up and actually make tackles, ya know, like professional football players are supposed to do. 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Nitro said:

Bills are a hard team to gauge.   We see glimpses of greatness followed by poor performances.   This is a top down problem and the real test is Sunday in Cincinnati.  

They are hard to gauge. But, objectively speaking, it's hard to be optimistic. Cincinnati is picking up momentum, fast, and the Bills look bewildered, still traumatized by the loss of Milano, Jones, and White, and unsure how to get its mojo back on offense. 

Best-case scenario (realistically): Allen is on fire, and the defense, while being shredded, gets one or two turnovers. Bills win by a hair. Worst case: a blowout on national TV.

• Agree 1

Always excuses.....  SF has a mediocre QB who yes needs all his weapons to look great.  The excuses for the defense never cease, especially since McD is coaching them.  Simply they need to play better and be coached better too.

I will agree that the offense and coaching on that side needs to be aggressive and score a lot of points.  

Look at what Philly is doing.  The Bills offense woke up some on Thursday, but still things seem difficult.

But yup can't wait 'til Cincy put up 31 (not that I want them to) and come Monday we're told they were gutsy and undermanned and can't expect any more from them. 

BTW Purdy threw for 365 vs. Cincy's D (ran for 57 too).  Dorsey should be able to exploit their D and Allen has some #'s to shoot for😜

Edited by Billsfan1972

3 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Anybody can beat anybody- this year! And the facts are that in the past THREE WEEKS, 3 bottom feeding stiffs with poor- woeful QBs were throwing into the End Zone on the last play of the game (or close to it) to beat the Bills! 

One succeeded. 

* The OC game plans were generally horrendous! (e.g. They still snap shotgun in 6 inch GL situations)

* There was no confidence to build up huge leads or apply the dagger.

* The now outmanned D, simply cannot play heroically for 4 Quarters! They give it up at the end- obviously.

* Plus, this team has devolved into Team Stupid- like the early ones of the Millenium, giving up league leading idiotic penalties at the most critical times.

And then, there’s McClapper with the buffoonish TOs and inept game management.

I lack any confidence that they will get this right.

And the following teams look like losses- Cinci, Eagles,Cowboys, Chiefs, Chargers, Fish. and yes…the never say die Jets & their # 1 D, with bottom feeder QB!

They should only have 1L by now and they don’t! Very bad imho.

You’re so optimistic you should make Hallmark cards 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.