Bills signing Josh Norman - yes, seriously

Big Blitz

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

To sign a player off of another team's practice squad, you have to sign them to your 53-man roster. You have to give them three game checks too. In the coming days, we're going to hear about Ingram and Vickers being signed to the 53 so that will free up practice squad spots. Signing Josh Norman costs the BIlls absolutely nothing except for a PS slot. I took a look at the available current CB UFAs and it's a list of has-beens and never-beens. 

Stop confusing irrational rants of fantasy GM players with facrs.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Vontae Davis would cost one-half as much. 

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap. Aka You get what you pay for...

Can you imagine the reception he would receive if he ever came back to Highmark stadium? You better batten down the hatches folks this ride could be very bumpy.

seismic even. lol Vontae Davis. I was there the day he walked off at halftime. Against the Chargers home opener. It was hot and humid as heck. I thought maybe it was weather related that he left, conditioning related. Nope . What a tool. 

Edited by muppy

this has McD's moronic coaching philosophy of getting someone he is "comfortable with" written all over it.  How about get an actual CB who can play? But that would require trading a draft pick, and we need all the 1st round picks we can get so we can get guys we don't use like Elam and Kincaid.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Mango said:

It has been a minute, but it feels like Josh Norman was toast in 2020. There is absolutely no way that he is the best option. Zero. 

I feel like it’s the classic let’s pick up a bad player that knows the system over a pretty bad player that doesn’t. 

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

this has McD's moronic coaching philosophy of getting someone he is "comfortable with" written all over it.  How about get an actual CB who can play? But that would require trading a draft pick, and we need all the 1st round picks we can get so we can get guys we don't use like Elam and Kincaid.  

I mean he’s comfortable with him cuz he’s played in the system…he could probably find a slightly better player in free agency that will take time to learn the defense.  We need bodies right away until benford returns 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I feel like it’s the classic let’s pick up a bad player that knows the system over a pretty bad player that doesn’t. 

I mean he’s comfortable with him cuz he’s played in the system…he could probably find a slightly better player in free agency that will take time to learn the defense.  We need bodies right away until benford returns 

I get what you are saying, but IMO Norman was AWFUL in 2020.  Picking up the system should not be overly complex.  Floyd came in and apparently "got" the system.  Find someone from a zone system and get them.  Likely the current PS guy is a better player at this point, just IMO.  

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I get what you are saying, but IMO Norman was AWFUL in 2020.  Picking up the system should not be overly complex.  Floyd came in and apparently "got" the system.  Find someone from a zone system and get them.  Likely the current PS guy is a better player at this point, just IMO.  

I think 'the system' for a DE, playing in a 4/2/5, is pretty straightforward. There's a lot more to digest if you're a LB, S or a CB. Dline has much fewer coverage responsibilities and the part of the field they are responsible for is much smaller.

Just now, uninja said:

I think 'the system' for a DE, playing in a 4/2/5, is pretty straightforward. There's a lot more to digest if you're a LB, S or a CB. Dline has much fewer coverage responsibilities and the part of the field they are responsible for is much smaller.

ok then, fair points.  I counter with the fact that Benford looked good as a 6th round rookie pick out of powerhouse Villanova.  

Just rather get a guy with more juice left.  Perhaps we are still looking at CB trades, or trying to find a player to replace Jones at 1T.  I will agree he's likely the best "street guy".  

On 10/9/2023 at 2:11 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Um, well, uh, at least he was still getting gigs through last season. I thought maybe he was out of the league for a year or two.

On one hand, absolutely crazy. On the other, McDermott puts an incredible amount of emphasis on guys who know his system. And midseason, he's going to value that over someone learning on the fly. So I guess I shouldn't be as shocked as I am.

Especially since there's absolutely no one out there right now and teams trading away good CB's midseason are exceedingly rare.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think this move is less about Norman on the field and more about a lack of a real veteran presence in the CB room.

Norman knows McDermott's D inside and out. I think Norman will be more of a coach to the young guys like Benford and Elam than anything else. 

Well put. This was my thought as well. (I mean really, Norman’s tank looked to be running low the last time he was wearing a Bills uni…) Especially for the sake of Elam, this signing may be his last chance to get his act together, at a time when we need him the most. 

I had a thought...

Maybe they brought in Norman to be a sort of player-coach to support the young CBs on the roster. Nobody knows the scheme as well as Norman, and he's obviously in good with the coaching staff. Maybe practicing with Norman can help make a light bulb go off for Elam?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I had a thought...

Maybe they brought in Norman to be a sort of player-coach to support the young CBs on the roster. Nobody knows the scheme as well as Norman, and he's obviously in good with the coaching staff. Maybe practicing with Norman can help make a light bulb go off for Elam?

I was thinking the same. One on one with Elam.👍

Joe Marino making the case that it's good, Josh Norman can mentor the young players. 

That stuff reeks of the old 7-9 Bills who looked to every veteran to mentor everyone. 

And we know McDermott has a soft spot for all these ex-Panthers, if he finds his way onto a football field the Bills deserve what they get. 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

That is literally all you can expect in the season the bills run a complex defense, and whoever comes in, will have the benefit of going through training camp

It was meant as a joke but I'll play the devil's advocate here.  He's been off the team for as long as Elam has been on the team but he might be a better option even as a PS signing?

Kind of speaks volumes in both directions.

On 10/11/2023 at 9:56 AM, Brian Higgins hair said:

Either a player gets it, or he doesn’t. After two full seasons of OTA, training camps and game experiences…, our former #1 pick doesn’t seem to have anything between the ears. 

I don’t agree that he doesn’t have anything between the ears, it was pretty widely pushed that he was quite smart coming out of Florida… that said, he isn’t getting it for us. Either he just can’t handle the zone scheme, which does take a little more on the fly recognition than “cover that guy” or he has done something to piss McD off for the ages. I can’t imagine what he could have done to get no PT with all that physical ability.   It’s a mystery to me, all I know is the Chiefs completely F’d us by taking McDuffie and leaving us with what appears to be a panic pick. 

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t agree that he doesn’t have anything between the ears, it was pretty widely pushed that he was quite smart coming out of Florida… that said, he isn’t getting it for us. Either he just can’t handle the zone scheme, which does take a little more on the fly recognition than “cover that guy” or he has done something to piss McD off for the ages. I can’t imagine what he could have done to get no PT with all that physical ability.   It’s a mystery to me, all I know is the Chiefs completely F’d us by taking McDuffie and leaving us with what appears to be a panic pick. 

his most recent review by cover1 shows that he indeed has some decent understanding of the Bills zone concepts. Maybe its more of a consistency thing, or some gaps in certain areas still, and Norman could help with that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.