My man James Cook

Italian Bills

I really like our back James Cook, but yesterday he had a very tough day, 12 carries but just 29 yards. 

What was the problem or the problems with get him going yesterday ? 

I’m sure he has all the tools, athletic and technical, to have 100 yards 7/8 out of 17 games and from 60 to 90 every game at minimum.

So what for you ? 

1 minute ago, Italian Bills said:

I really like our back James Cook, but yesterday he had a very tough day, 12 carries but just 29 yards. 

I’m sure he has all the tools, athletic and technical, to have 100 yards 7/8 out of 17 games and from 60 to 90 every game at minimum.

So what for you ? 

I think they were having success other ways.  Maybe they were keying on him in run situations.  He's a much better RB than last year.

4 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

So what for you ? 

He got blown up in the backfield on at least 3 plays I can remember.  The OL has been good, but they got collapsed on a few runs yesterday.

I love Cook.

I also love Latavious.  I get pumped every time he touches the ball.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

So what for you ? 

There was no problem. Miami focused on shutting him down. How'd that work out for them overall?

Can't have everyone with HoF stat days.

If teams focusing on Cook allow us to score 48 points otherwise, so be it.

Just the way this game went.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

He channeled it into a hell of scramble drill catch and run.

I really wanted him to break that for a TD due to the fact that I predicted he would have one rushing and one receiving TD in the game.

He is certainly a big play waiting to happen every time he touches the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

So what for you ? 

Josh Allen literally had a perfect passer rating, more TD's than incompletions.  Not everyone can get all their touches every week and both Murray and Harris are also contributing and deserving of play time.  

There were no problems yesterday and Cook did great in pass pro too

• Like (+1) 5

They had two runs blown up in the backfield which has been a real rareity this year. That cost him a combined 4 yards. He had a 1 yard touchdown run that brought the average down too. His other 9 rushes were for 32 yards. 3.6 per pop. Perfectly respectable day. The Bills just went more committee at running back yesterday. All 3 backs had 30 yards. 

• Like (+1) 2

The numbers don't need to be huge week-to-week. It's the respect that teams have to have against our ground game now. Whether it's Cook, Murray, or Harris, we've shown an ability to pick up 4-6 yards/pop which really opens up the passing game and makes life easier in the Red Zone. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

So what for you ? 

Sometimes on the ground, it just isn't your day.

I think Miami made it a point to try and slow him to make Buffalo more one dimensional. Buffalo also has, in the past given up on the run if they get shut down early. That didn't happen and they still had to respect the run all day. That's a win.

He also had a really nice 48yard (I believe) catch and run.

Also, he was in on a season low snaps which contributed to the lower output. 

39 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

So what for you ? 

Dolphins did OK against the run except for that one run Murray popped for big yards.  Some days, you are not going to have as much success as others running the ball, that's just the way it goes. Plus the Bills were scoring quickly on a lot of drives and the short passing game was humming so that played a role also.

Edited by Big Turk

40 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There was no problem. Miami focused on shutting him down. How'd that work out for them overall?

Can't have everyone with HoF stat days.

If teams focusing on Cook allow us to score 48 points otherwise, so be it.

Just the way this game went.

I read somewhere that Fangio was better than Belichick as a DC🤔

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

He channeled it into a hell of scramble drill catch and run.

This was my first thought about his game yesterday. Very well played by both guys. To be honest, I expected Cook to pull away, but I don’t remember who caught him. I should probably look again. Anyway, I want to see way more of THAT, with him breaking loose! 

• Like (+1) 1

All I know is that Allen's currently running at about half the rate he did last season and prior seasons.  So that's a a major positive.  He's averaging 4 runs/game, which is acceptable.  He's also protecting himself better.  

The other half is that our running game in general is working, which I attribute to our stronger OL.  In fact, it would seem that if there's a particular unit, as a unit, that needs to remain healthy, it's the OL.  If that stays intact for the season, expect big things from our offense historically speaking.  

Cook will surpass his last season's carry & touches total in three games if he averages what he's been averaging, and there's no reason to expect that to not be the case.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

This was my first thought about his game yesterday. Very well played by both guys. To be honest, I expected Cook to pull away, but I don’t remember who caught him. I should probably look again. Anyway, I want to see way more of THAT, with him breaking loose! 

Something else I liked on that play was he looked self aware and prepared for the guy coming from behind and kept the ball safe.

• Like (+1) 2

Yesterday wasn’t blocked up as well for him and they attacked the middle of the field with the run game.  It seemed like a very conscious effort to do so with Murray in there so early.   I’m a little perplexed what the coaches see in Murray that they like better than Harris, but either way, they were trying to run it the hard way and that’s really not Cook’s strong suit.  He’s an animal in space, but he “needs” a hole, where the other two can pound through and make their own.   I suspect when the game plan makes sense to go outside more, it will be Cook’s day, if it’s inside rushes, they probably will go with the bigger guys.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yesterday wasn’t blocked up as well for him and they attacked the middle of the field with the run game.  It seemed like a very conscious effort to do so with Murray in there so early.   I’m a little perplexed what the coaches see in Murray that they like better than Harris, but either way, they were trying to run it the hard way and that’s really not Cook’s strong suit.  He’s an animal in space, but he “needs” a hole, where the other two can pound through and make their own.   I suspect when the game plan makes sense to go outside more, it will be Cook’s day, if it’s inside rushes, they probably will go with the bigger guys.  

I don't know why the Bills coaches are going more/going first with Murray versus Harris, but I have a few ideas why:

• Murray has been extremely effective when he's touched the ball
  • Murray looks to be a much bigger player
  • Harris was injured in camp and has a pretty lengthy injury history, so perhaps they are using him less to a) help him recover; or b) prevent future injury

Regardless, all of the backs look solid and I'm in favor of whatever the Bills coaches think is best.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

So what for you ? 

Tough day? There weren’t many yards to gain on the ground, so he got them in the air along with his TD. He had more yards than anyone not named Diggs. How is that a tough day? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I don't know why the Bills coaches are going more/going first with Murray versus Harris, but I have a few ideas why:

• Harris was injured in camp and has a pretty lengthy injury history, so perhaps they are using him less to a) help him recover; or b) prevent future injury

Regardless, all of the backs look solid and I'm in favor of whatever the Bills coaches think is best.

It’s been working, not knocking it.  I wonder if it’s not more of a save Harris for the later part of the year thing, because to my eye, he appears to be the better back, but whatever works.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

I have expected Harris to be the guy all year. I found it weird to see him on returns and lining up at receiver. 
I think they’re protecting him. 
He’s the only guy who can do it all. 
Murray handles most of the physical bruising work. 
Cook handles most of the pass game and shotgun run. 
Harris is the only back who can do it all. Murray probably could but they’d just burn him out super fast with too much work. Come December if healthy I expect Harris will have a significant role 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

So what for you ? 

Are you of the opinion that your main back should run for 100 yards every game?

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

He got blown up in the backfield on at least 3 plays I can remember.  The OL has been good, but they got collapsed on a few runs yesterday.

I love Cook.

I also love Latavious.  I get pumped every time he touches the ball.

Latavious had a better yards per carry avg because he's a bigger, more powerful RB for running between the tackles. I'd like to see the Bills sprinkle more carries to Murray/Harris early to loosen the run game up for Cook 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

So what for you ? 

he’s fine. There were 4 or 5 negative yard runs because the play was blown up, up front, and a couple goal line Carrie’s which were short yardage. He ran fine. 

I do wish Dorsey would attack the edge with him more but it worked out. 

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Are you of the opinion that your main back should run for 100 yards every game?

In today's NFL that seems a bit ambitious, scrimmage yards is a much better indicator. 

I also believe in running just to keep the defense honest, abandoning the run just because the results aren't there dooms the offense IMO.

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

Latavious had a better yards per carry avg because he's a bigger, more powerful RB for running between the tackles. I'd like to see the Bills sprinkle more carries to Murray/Harris early to loosen the run game up for Cook 

Nah.  He had a better ypc average yesterday because he had gaping holes and cook had very few holes.  

If he had a better ypc because he’s a bigger and more powerful back…. then how does Cook have a better ypc on the season?  He’s been bigger and more powerful all season.  🤣 

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Props to the bills for actually using the right pieces in the right situations on offense

No need to prove a point with Cook he is doing just fine in his role

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

Nah.  He had a better ypc average yesterday because he had gaping holes and cook had very few holes.  

If he had a better ypc because he’s a bigger and more powerful back…. then how does Cook have a better ypc on the season?  He’s been bigger and more powerful all season.  🤣 

Ummm... more carries (attempts)? More outside runs as opposed to between the tackles. Murray/Harris are better between the tackles. Cook wouldn't have scored that TD had  Josh not pushed him from behind

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Ummm... more carries (attempts)? More outside runs as opposed to between the tackles. Murray/Harris are better between the tackles. Cook wouldn't have scored that TD had  Josh not pushed him from behind

This has nothing to do with the point that I’m disputing.  Murray didn’t have a better ypc because he’s bigger and more powerful. That doesn’t make any type of sense my boy. 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This has nothing to do with the point that I’m disputing.  Murray didn’t have a better ypc because he’s bigger and more powerful. That doesn’t make any type of sense my boy. 

I was referring to yesterday's game. By the way, Harris had a better avg too. 

Edited by Solomon Grundy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.